PFF: Darron Lee Best Coverage LB In NFL So Far

BroadwayRay

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

not one of you guys is willing to put your money where your mouth is.

congrats while it lasts.

I don't hate Lee. I just see a guy so don't belong playing lb at this level. 

I would agree with statements like the following....Lee has looked good but it's only 2 games and I need to see at least half a season before I change my opinion.  Or, it's possible Lee has turned a corner but after 2 bad/mediocre seasons I don't think 2 great games qualify as a trend just yet.

I could see fans saying something like that but I can't understand at all someone saying he doesn't belong playing linebacker at this level.  I'm sorry, but that just comes across as uneducated.  We can disagree about whether he is simply average or maybe good, or if like PFF is saying, he's the best linebacker in the NFL through 2 games.  But I don't think anyone can say he's not a starting NFL linebacker.  That just seems like someone trying too hard to bash someone.  Am I wrong?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may not be Lee's size, per se. 

Lee is the same size or bigger than Joe Shobert,. Kiko Alonso and Deion Jones, among others.  The first 2 played in 3-4 defenses, and now play in a 4-3, as does Jones.  

I was going to do the work to see which 3-4 teams have LBs Lee's size.  My guess is that he is small for a 3-4.  Shazier is Lee's size, but that did not end up well.  

I am just not feeling that the coaches and the personnel are sync'd up here.  

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Im no Lee hater but someone would have a really strong point by mentioning that. No?

Mayhem mabin looked really good for the jets for two weeks one time. Member dat???

Absolutely. No arguing the small sample size from this year. Just hoping that we can be encouraged that one of our young players may be improving. 

Sometimes, I get frustrated to see us beating up our own guys. 

49 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's evident that he is improving as a player. It happens guys. It took Brees like 3 seasons until the light went on. Hopefully now he learns to get off a block. 

I don't think he played LB until college either.  There's a learning curve and if his positional acumen, instincts and knowledge of the game from the second level of the D is just now starting to click then that is GREAT news for a guy who has some serious god-given physical abilities.

I'm happy with what appears to be great progress.  But, if I was to pump the brakes and put a counter argument to this I'd point out that we really haven't faced an elite RB or TE yet.  Who are the guys that have made coverage very tough on Lee?  It's not like he's been asked to cover Gronk or Travis Kelce, or to follow David Johnson or Alvin Kamara out of the backfield.  We need to give this a few more weeks before we say the lightbulb has definitely gone on for him.....BUT I think we have seen what he's capable of now.  We can see the upside and that Lee's ceiling could in fact be really high.

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

It may not be Lee's size, per se. 

Lee is the same size or bigger than Joe Shobert,. Kiko Alonso and Deion Jones, among others.  The first 2 played in 3-4 defenses, and now play in a 4-3, as does Jones.  

I was going to do the work to see which 3-4 teams have LBs Lee's size.  My guess is that he is small for a 3-4.  Shazier is Lee's size, but that did not end up well.  

I am just not feeling that the coaches and the personnel are sync'd up here.  

I guess my question would be whether EVERY linebacker in the 3-4 has to have that prototypical size?  From a "sum of the parts" standpoint can't you have one slightly undersized guy in your front 7 if that guy brings a lot of other things to the table?  Avery Williamson seems like he should be the thumper, the run-stopper like a David Harris.  We also have a well-sized (although slightly slow) Jordan Jenkins on the outside.  With guys like that around him as well as guys like Leo, McClendon, Shepherd, Anderson, etc. in front of him it would be disappointing if we couldn't survive with a guy like Lee in there.  He's a quick, targeted linebacker with good coverage skills who can run sideline-to-sideline.  That's the kind of heat-seeking missile every D should have even if he's 15 lbs. lighter than we want.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Lee hasn't had to play a TE worth a sh*t yet.  Only two weeks.  I didn't even notice him on the field against Miami.  Did anybody else?

Detroit doesn't even have a tight end and Miami's TE was in his 2nd game as a pro. 

Lee admitted he knew the Lions' signals.  Is it fair to assume that provided him an advantage in coverage for week 1?

Lee might be improving, I hope he is... I really do.  But I am tired of people trying to force a below average player at me the second he has a decent game.  And as for profootballfocus, it is just a piece of the puzzle.  The eyeball test is also a big piece.  

Keep trying JoJo... 

And you keep being a SOJF

31 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And you keep being a SOJF

What is a SOJF?  A realist?

I am a big Robby supporter.  I believe in Darnold.  I think Enunwa is a unique talent and quality player.  I am curious to see more of Luvu.  Pleased so far with the contributions of Henry Anderson.  Lots of guys...

Thinking Lee stinks makes me a SOJF?  Take a hike dude...

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I would agree with statements like the following....Lee has looked good but it's only 2 games and I need to see at least half a season before I change my opinion.  Or, it's possible Lee has turned a corner but after 2 bad/mediocre seasons I don't think 2 great games qualify as a trend just yet.

I could see fans saying something like that but I can't understand at all someone saying he doesn't belong playing linebacker at this level.  I'm sorry, but that just comes across as uneducated.  We can disagree about whether he is simply average or maybe good, or if like PFF is saying, he's the best linebacker in the NFL through 2 games.  But I don't think anyone can say he's not a starting NFL linebacker.  That just seems like someone trying too hard to bash someone.  Am I wrong?

He played well the 2nd half of last season too. 

Absolutely. No arguing the small sample size from this year. Just hoping that we can be encouraged that one of our young players may be improving. 
Sometimes, I get frustrated to see us beating up our own guys. 

Man, I sure hope so. It would be great if he found become the type of lb they drafted him to be.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ohhhh. Okay. Now I get it. You’re saying the guy who wasn’t ready to play the position he is playing now was worth a first round draft pick because of two games this season? Got it. Better exercise that 5th year option!

As mentioned and by others he played well the 2nd half last season too.

With that you aren’t worth the time. 

Just now, C Mart said:

With that you aren’t worth the time. 

So you’re saying a linebacker who is bad against the run, isn’t great at rushing the passer but can finally cover a couple of running backs and tight ends is worth a first round pick? Am I getting this right?

48 minutes ago, Larz said:

Lee currently leads all 73 linebackers with at least 50 defensive snaps through Week 2 in overall grade (92.0)

Someone help me out 

What is this overall thing they speak about here? 

They grade pass defense and run defense and average them 

PFF rates Lee’s pass defense very very high, which makes him the highest rated LB even though is run defense is meh.  

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Lee hasn't had to play a TE worth a sh*t yet.  Only two weeks.  I didn't even notice him on the field against Miami.  Did anybody else?

Detroit doesn't even have a tight end and Miami's TE was in his 2nd game as a pro. 

Lee admitted he knew the Lions' signals.  Is it fair to assume that provided him an advantage in coverage for week 1?

Lee might be improving, I hope he is... I really do.  But I am tired of people trying to force a below average player at me the second he has a decent game.  And as for profootballfocus, it is just a piece of the puzzle.  The eyeball test is also a big piece.  

Keep trying JoJo... 

You don't want to notice a guy in coverage.  You noticed Avery Williamson in coverage and that was not a good thing . . .

14 hours ago, C Mart said:

I tried to verify this by watching the hilites of the last 6 games last year....

i saw the same crap as always

check out the saints game...  absolutely woeful... and got face planted by ingram...

On 9/18/2018 at 6:53 PM, BroadwayRay said:

Come on Lee haters, dive right in. I'm sure you can make some hay out of his mediocre run-defense ratings ...

Jets’ Darron Lee is the best coverage linebacker in football through Week 2

BY AUSTIN GAYLE • NEW YORK JETS  DARRON LEE  MATTHEW STAFFORD  THEO RIDDICK  DAVID NJOKU  DUKE JOHNSON JR. • SEP 18, 2018

USATSI_11221950_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

Darron Lee’s first-round pedigree set forth lofty expectations he simply fell far below in his first two seasons with the New York Jets. The former Ohio State product ranked dead last among the 87 NFL linebackers with at least 800 defensive snaps in overall grade (41.6), and coverage grade (35.5), across 1,666 defensive snaps played in 2016 and 2017.

However, early signs point to Lee shifting the trajectory of his career from bust to boom in 2018.

Lee currently leads all 73 linebackers with at least 50 defensive snaps through Week 2 in overall grade (92.0) and coverage grade (93.1) and has accumulated 13 combined tackles (11 solo), seven defensive stops and two interceptions in the process. Targeted 16 times, the sixth-most among linebackers, he has allowed just 77 yards, three first downs, and no touchdowns. His passer rating when targeted (47.1) and yards allowed per reception (5.5) rank fourth and fifth, respectively, among linebackers targeted at least five times this season.

Of course, sample size concerns will persist for at least the next few weeks, if not further, given the 1,666 defensive snaps Lee has played at a disastrous level. But the subtle improvements evident in his tape against the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins give weight to the argument that Lee’s success, specifically in coverage, is sustainable.

Running a 4.47-second 40-yard dash at 6-foot-1, 232 pounds at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine, Lee was highly coveted for his speed and athleticism entering the draft, but up until his recent performances, it hasn’t been on display. The former high school cornerback struggled early in man coverage and was slow to pick up the needed tendencies and technique for various zone-coverage assignments. Three NFL offseasons, 843 coverage snaps later, Lee has limited his previous inefficiencies.

Lee’s two interceptions of Matthew Stafford were products of strong play in zone coverage. He returned his first pick 36 yards to the house after passing off Lions’ Golden Tate to his teammate’s zone and jumping in front of a pass intended for running back Theo Riddick. The latter was gifted to him from Stafford largely because he nailed his dropback depth to fill his assigned zone while reading the quarterback’s eyes.

The stark improvement in Lee’s coverage grade is largely responsible for his league-leading overall grade – and rightfully so, given the value of coverage play compared to run defense. However, Lee’s next steps towards a tenable seat among the league’s best linebackers will be to maintain his success in coverage and prove at least tolerable against the run.

Lee sits atop the list of the NFL’s 40 highest-graded linebackers (minimum 50 defensive snaps), but he is the only one on the list with a run-defense grade below 53.0. Lee’s Achilles heel when defending the run, dating back to his days at The Shoe, has been his inability to shed the second-level blocks of offensive linemen, and even Lee’s stellar start to the 2018 season hasn’t been without poor block-shedding. Through two weeks, Lee ranks 26th among the 43 linebackers with 30-plus run-defense snaps in percentage of snaps with a negative grade (15.0 percent).

Looking ahead to Week 3, the Cleveland Browns’ offense will test Lee’s legitimacy in coverage and against the run. Four-year veteran running back Duke Johnson Jr. and second-year tight end David Njoku have both proven to be mismatch problems in the past, putting the pressure on Lee to deliver for the third consecutive week.

This is really good to read. Word is, Lee really grinded in the offseason. Talked aboit it during training camp and the preseason. I guess he wasn't bullsh*tting when he said that he was ready for the season. 

7 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Another good game.  Same with Adams.  Leonard Williams has flatlined, though, unfortunately.

IMO Williams has been fine, he’s made plenty of tackles at or around the LOS. We just need that ever elusive pass rusher to allow the line to wreck havoc. Anderson is benefiting greatly from Williams draws all the double teams.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived