RaleighJetsFan

SoFlaJets

So what do you think as a new name for me? We have been living here in south Florida since the Challenger exploded and my oldest daughter and her husband and 4 kids all moved to North Carolina this past March to (get this) get away from the hurricanes-honest. My other daughter and her now 8 children are in Missouri and also planning on moving to NC after the New Year, so there really is no good reason to stay down here. Even the gigs are not what they used to be. I don't know whatever happened to the idea of having live music INSIDE in the air conditioning, almost all of my work is out in this relentless heat. I'm going to be 63 in a couple of weeks and 4 hours out in 101-110 (what feels like) degrees is really hard to take. So we are making the move in November. I figure there's no real good reason why I should still call myself SoFlaJets, so I'm thinking RaleighJetsFan? If there isn't one yet that is. Also, if any of you guys know of any bars that would be good for me to check out please let me know

Obviously it's your call. RaleighJetsFan is as good as any name. God you've had SFJF name since I've been here and that's over 12 years ago.

My daughter just left for Raleigh this morning. Going to some concert on Friday nite. At 37 I thought she'd be past the concert era. lol

I don't see a reason to change it; you've lived there for a very long time and will always have ties to the area. 

IMO RaleighJetsFan would be a little too close to Rutgers' name. People might confuse the two of you. (Which actually might be fun now that I think about it, but I digress.) 

A bunch of my in-laws live in NC and they love it. (They're right on the coast by where the worst of the hurricane hit; they all made it through okay thank God.) From what I've seen NC seems like a good place for live music, so you should have a blast in Raleigh. 

On 9/19/2018 at 1:13 PM, SoFlaJets said:

So what do you think as a new name for me? We have been living here in south Florida since the Challenger exploded and my oldest daughter and her husband and 4 kids all moved to North Carolina this past March to (get this) get away from the hurricanes-honest. My other daughter and her now 8 children are in Missouri and also planning on moving to NC after the New Year, so there really is no good reason to stay down here. Even the gigs are not what they used to be. I don't know whatever happened to the idea of having live music INSIDE in the air conditioning, almost all of my work is out in this relentless heat. I'm going to be 63 in a couple of weeks and 4 hours out in 101-110 (what feels like) degrees is really hard to take. So we are making the move in November. I figure there's no real good reason why I should still call myself SoFlaJets, so I'm thinking RaleighJetsFan? If there isn't one yet that is. Also, if any of you guys know of any bars that would be good for me to check out please let me know 

RJF has a nice ring to it. 

Do you have any more children? Lots of respect for your other daughter keeping up with 8 . 

On 9/19/2018 at 1:35 PM, Thai Jet said:

Obviously it's your call. RaleighJetsFan is as good as any name. God you've had SFJF name since I've been here and that's over 12 years ago.

My daughter just left for Raleigh this morning. Going to some concert on Friday nite. At 37 I thought she'd be past the concert era. lol

I've been using SoFlaJets since Matt's old Greenhouse site and before that Thor99 will even remember me on the Rivals Board we used all hang out at and that had to be in 98 -99.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:43 PM, SoFlaJets said:

I've been using SoFlaJets since Matt's old Greenhouse site and before that Thor99 will even remember me on the Rivals Board we used all hang out at and that had to be in 98 -99.

Thor? Wow that's a blast from the past. We banned that guy like 7 years ago. @Thor99 

• 3 weeks later...

Not to be a jerk, but North Carolina is the 2nd most hit state in the country by Tropical Storms and Hurricanes, 2nd to Florida.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Not to be a jerk, but North Carolina is the 2nd most hit state in the country by Tropical Storms and Hurricanes, 2nd to Florida.

True, but a lot of that hit gets absorbed by the Outer Banks/Hatteras area that juts out.  If you live in the Raleigh/Charlotte area, you're fine.  The whole state of Florida is exposed when Hurricanes come by, especially because of the state's topography. 

Florence should have been a lot worse for us here in the Wilmington area, but even then, it had been about 20+ years since a storm that bad. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True, but a lot of that hit gets absorbed by the Outer Banks/Hatteras area that juts out.  If you live in the Raleigh/Charlotte area, you're fine. 

Florence should have been a lot worse for us here in the Wilmington area, but even then, it had been about 20+ years since a storm that bad. 

I dont live in NC obviously but isnt Raleigh significantly closer to the coast than Charlotte?  And I feel like I'm constantly reading about flooding in Raleigh from storms.  Sure, you dont get the storm surge and the crazy winds that far inland but I feel like I've read plenty about feeling the impacts. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont live in NC obviously but isnt Raleigh significantly closer to the coast than Charlotte?  And I feel like I'm constantly reading about flooding in Raleigh from storms.  Sure, you dont get the storm surge and the crazy winds that far inland but I feel like I've read plenty about feeling the impacts.  

There are certain flood zones that get hit in Raleigh consistently (whether there's a storm or not), but by and large its safe. 

Raleigh is about a 2 hour drive northwest from Wilmington.  I went there during Florence and there was minimal impact.  I only packaged Raleigh together with Charlotte because those are the 2 biggest population centers in the state. 

Archived