# Jets vs Browns -- Thurs Night Football -- The Official Game Thread #

Maxman

The Jets will get back in the winning column in front of a national audience for the 2nd time in 3 games.  Baker Mayfield will watch from the sidelines as Sam Darnold throws for over 300 yards for the 2nd week in a row.

The Jets get their 2nd win. Everyone calms down. And we will soon start to believe that we are allowed to have nice things.

No video needed this week. The Jets got this one. Rocky can wait. Ah, who am I kidding. We always need some Rocky to get us through the day. Going old school here. 

Let's Go Jets!!!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of things:

- Interesting test for Bates/Dennison to see what kind of adjustment they make
to get the running game going.  You don't want to force Darnold into throwing
40+ times

- It would be nice for once if Leonard Williams is the dominant defensive player
on the field

- Taylor is a "two trick pony", he'll only stay in the pocket when he has max
protection otherwise after his first read he's looking to run.  They must
maintain their gaps when rushing Taylor, they should know this from his days
in BUF

This is actually a very big game for us if we have any aspirations about this season (beyond "develop Sam" - which is obviously the real key).  Cleveland is much better than last year and could easily be 2-0 right now but if we lose our 2nd straight and against a team that we should beat, it's a real bump in the road.  Of course, bumps in the road are what we should expect in Darnold's rookie year so I have low expectations (though high hopes!) going into this game.

This is actually a very big game for us if we have any aspirations about this season (beyond "develop Sam" - which is obviously the real key).  Cleveland is much better than last year and could easily be 2-0 right now but if we lose our 2nd straight and against a team that we should beat, it's a real bump in the road.  Of course, bumps in the road are what we should expect in Darnold's rookie year so I have low expectations (though high hopes!) going into this game.
This is a big game for the browns too. Idk if I would say they are a team we should beat they are not the same old browns they have talent all over the field now.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Browns might be down 3 starters on defense, ogbah, linebacker and a safety 

I saw that. It's not easy to overcome 3 starters out on your defense. This defense is not LOADED at every position. Like us they're depth isn't great in certain positions.

I know that the LB & Safety did not practice at all this week, usually players that can't practice won't play. That means we should be taking advantage of some backups, but you can only do that if you keep your QB clean. Garrett was a beast against us last year in his 1st NFL game. How we block this guy is the 1st priority for our OC & Oline. 

8 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

They are talented, they’re playing at home and they’re relatively healthy.

We have a rookie QB starting his 3rd game in 11 days...

I don’t expect a win, unless we win the turnover battle.

i won’t be disappointed if they lose, I just hope no one gets injured.

I've seen enough from Darnold to know that at some point if we keep him clean, get the running game going, he's going to have a breakout game if receivers play well too & catch passes on their hands. Just 6 plays change that game Sunday & other than that 1 bad pick, we'd be talking about how well Sam played again, this time under duress.

Herndon not going out of bounds, Herndon not extending the ball for a TD, Pryor drop & bad route, Herndon 35 yard drop, absolutely horrid non call in the endzone with Anderson.

Football is a game of inches, that proved so true Sunday. Not every team wins beautifully in this league. Saints beat Browns because of the Browns kicker.

A few more things:

- Something I overlooked in the MIA game, I wonder how much losing Sterling to
a concussion impacted the run game.  Because against DET Bates used a ton of
3 TE sets which assisted the OLine but kept us unpredictable.  Are Herndon
and Leggett up to the challenge of increased reps?

- Wilkerson at the end of his time here was a disaster.  But when he was playing
for his contract I'll always remember the Monday Night game against ATL where he
was all over the place.  Could we have one of those games tonight from Williams?

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I've seen enough from Darnold to know that at some point if we keep him clean, get the running game going, he's going to have a breakout game if receivers play well too & catch passes on their hands. Just 6 plays change that game Sunday & other than that 1 bad pick, we'd be talking about how well Sam played again, this time under duress.

Herndon not going out of bounds, Herndon not extending the ball for a TD, Pryor drop & bad route, Herndon 35 yard drop, absolutely horrid non call in the endzone with Anderson.

Football is a game of inches, that proved so true Sunday. Not every team wins beautifully in this league. Saints beat Browns because of the Browns kicker.

Not much to disagree with here. Just pointing out that the Browns front 7 may be significantly better than what we saw from the dolphins, which makes it even harder on the OL.

The good thing is that I don’t think they believe in their secondary, and I think they’ll play off a little more than the dolphins did which will allow for quick throws to limit their pass rush.

43 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This game worries me. I'll be drinking a nice chamomile hroughout.

I have no idea what a chamomile is but I am terrified about this game. A loss to any other team, while it would suck, wouldn't bother me nearly as much. To end the winless streak of the Browns would be an embarrassment - even if they are much more talented than last year. We'd be the butt fumble end of trivia for years to come. And it would be such a Jets thing to do.

I'll be drinking straight whisky.

Jets are the answer in so many 1sts what does it matter at this point? Without a sh*tty kicker the Browns are 2-0, whatever, football fans know that. 

Players & teams are always breaking records against us. Personally I think the Jetsiest record is running for over 300 yards & losing to Buffalo. That's the Sanchez colored wrist band 5 interception game. 1st team ever to run for 300 yards & lose! 

I remember playing Bball in high school on Long Island. Tiny Bridgehampton was a powerhouse back then & it seemed the our games were always stopped while a guy was getting the game ball for scoring 1000 points in his high school career, lol. I'm old, we're talking 1977, 1978. 

Lets hope Darnold is the youngest QB to throw the most TDs in an NFL game! 4 would be nice. I'm sure Browns fans have their share of 1sts & records broken against them. I think any fans watching tonight that don't have vested interest in the Jets or Browns are thinking both of these teams always suck but it's an NFL football game so I'll watch. I feel the same way if it's Colts vs Titans. 

F*ck Cleveland. Those fans deserve the sh*t franchise they have.
I’m hoping to see Sam make them all look at each other tonight and whisper ...baker mayfield???

Sure we can lose. I signed up for a 4-12 campaign where darnold gets better and gains tons of real world experience.
Whatever it is it is, but I would sure like not to add the jets being the team that breaks this crazy winless streak to our list of sad stats.

Jets 31-8

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I watched to coaches cut of the Fins game on Gamepass and I've got to say the Jets played better than I recalled when watching it live. Even thought they could not run the ball against the Fins, Cleveland's run D does not present the match-up problems the Fins did, so I feel the Jets should be able to run the ball tonight. Aside from running the ball against the Fins, the Jets O consistently moved the ball even though Sam was under near constant pressure. It was a game where none of the breaks went the Jets way. From Anderson's fumble to the fact the the Fins recovered two of their own fumbles. And the Jets penalties were bad and made even worse by the timing of the penalties. They always seemed to negate an important D play by the Jets and never occurred when the Fins had 1st and 10.  

Without Darnold the Jets would have lost the Fins game in a blowout because that is what happens when the other team controls the line of scrimmage against your Offense. With Sam, the game was winnable if a few receivers hold on to the ball before and after they are hit and Pryor pays attention with the realization that Sam may throw him the ball when he does not expect it.

After re-watching the Fins game, I truly realize how much of a game changer Sam Darnold is. With him they have a chance to win games they have no business winning. He can literally do it almost on his own. Big, agile, smart, hard working and deadly accurate even on the run. I would not be surprised if the Jets beat Cleveland in a walk tonight.

Ya know... this post could be used as the supporting documentation for a few mental health diagnosis :-)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

the home team usually wins on Thursday night. 

short week, rookie qb and the browns are not the same team from last year is a recipe for a loss. 

i am expecting a loss just don't want them to get embarrassed. if it is close and Darnold plays well not a big deal.  another nail in the coffin for bowles

Not an easy game and they are due for a W. You'd think after so many near wins they see a great opportunity for a win tonight and they're right. It's not the hardest game on their schedule and they could have beaten the Steelers a better team than the Jets. Plus they actually have a good Qb in Tyrod Taylor and he's had some success against us. But I think Sam will have a good game against a lesser defense than the Fins. And we win tonight, Jets by 6.

To me, this is a really big game regarding Bowles future. If penalties and bad special teams play cost us this game, then Mac seriously needs to start thinking about a change. You should be able to coach up and get consistent play from your special teamers.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Not an easy game and they are due for a W. You'd think after so many near wins they see a great opportunity for a win tonight and they're right. It's not the hardest game on their schedule and they could have beaten the Steelers a better team than the Jets. Plus they actually have a good Qb in Tyrod Taylor and he's had some success against us. But I think Sam will have a good game against a lesser defense than the Fins. And we win tonight, Jets by 6.

Fair points. A few on the other side of the equation:

1. Cleveland's TO rate has been astronomical. There is a large random factor in TO's. Odds are good that it will converge back to the mean.

2. Tyrod has been pretty terrible as a passer (he does have over a 100 rushing, which will make life interesting).

3. Landry is by far his best receiver, and Landry has got a bad knee. May not play, but if he does he won't be full speed.

4. Pittsburgh is a mess so far this year and had a really bad game in the opener (and still should have won). I don't think it says what we normally would think it says (i.e., Cleveland held their own against an elite team)

5. Injuries on defense are significant for Cleveland. They're not the Patriots, with plug and play system.

This one could go either way, but I like the Jets' chances. They're both coming off a short week.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

A couple of things:

- Interesting test for Bates/Dennison to see what kind of adjustment they make
to get the running game going.  You don't want to force Darnold into throwing
40+ times

- It would be nice for once if Leonard Williams is the dominant defensive player
on the field

- Taylor is a "two trick pony", he'll only stay in the pocket when he has max
protection otherwise after his first read he's looking to run.  They must
maintain their gaps when rushing Taylor, they should know this from his days
in BUF

Taylor runs about 6 time per game.  I don't think he runs that much.  He has traditionally been very safe with the ball, but his completion percentage is way down and his INTs up with the Browns.  Let's hope that continues. . 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I saw that. It's not easy to overcome 3 starters out on your defense. This defense is not LOADED at every position. Like us they're depth isn't great in certain positions.

I know that the LB & Safety did not practice at all this week, usually players that can't practice won't play. That means we should be taking advantage of some backups, but you can only do that if you keep your QB clean. Garrett was a beast against us last year in his 1st NFL game. How we block this guy is the 1st priority for our OC & Oline. 

I am a big fan of Ogunjobi.  I got him at 102 in the mock that year.  Not sure if it was here. 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

A few more things:

- Something I overlooked in the MIA game, I wonder how much losing Sterling to
a concussion impacted the run game.  Because against DET Bates used a ton of
3 TE sets which assisted the OLine but kept us unpredictable.  Are Herndon
and Leggett up to the challenge of increased reps?

- Wilkerson at the end of his time here was a disaster.  But when he was playing
for his contract I'll always remember the Monday Night game against ATL where he
was all over the place.  Could we have one of those games tonight from Williams?

I am hoping that with an extra week of practice Herndon will be better prepared.  I have been squawking about how much they help and cover Shell. for ages.  On Crowell's long run against Detroit Shell made a great block (Winters got crushed) but he also had Tomlinson and Sterling outside him. 

Archived