Bowles got himself fired tonight

Maxman

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

When you have your QB on his rookie deal is when you pay the premium because you have the money. Mac acts like he gets a bonus for the money he saved. No reason the Jets could not have landed upgrades at G or T in free agency.

You can’t build a solid OLine in 1 year. The problem is he spent all his 4 offseason/ 4 drafts doing absolutely nothing to upgrade a week line he inherited

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It’s nice because finally people are starting to see Macc and Bowles for what they are.

Not good enough.

Of course a win would have be better,  but we fans play no role in that outcome.

We can only react to what DID happen. Not what we wish happened.

This! I have been saying this forever, it would be by far best outcome if Bowles/Mac are actually really good at their jobs and can win big here. I root for that every time they play.

That said, I don't believe they believe they are good at their jobs at all. And to make matters worse, I think the combination is worse.

People always say worse thing you can do is change coaches every 3 years, I think whats far worse is to stick with a bad coach who has proven they suck and cannot improve.

Its time to move on from this un-dynamic duo.

I can only hope our moron owners finally can bring in someone with some authority. I want to see one of 3 things:

A true head of football operations, who makes all high level strategic football decisions, coach to hire, GM to hire, sets the tone of the franchise and is ultimately accountable

or

A powerful GM who does above, picks his coach.

or

A powerful HC who does above and picks his GM.

We need 1 neck to choke, and preferably that neck never gets choked because he is actually really good at his job.

Right now we waste time saying its not Bowles fault, its Macc's fault, and vice versa. Who cares whose fault it is? The combo sucks and doesnt work. Get rid of them both and bring in some competent football people for God sakes. 

Why is it that as long as I've watched this team I swear they have to have the worst record of any team in NFL HISTORY against the back-up QB either starting or coming into the game. It started with Dave Kreig from  (ha ha ha) little Milton College, in like 1978 coming in and starting for Jim Zorn and he proceeds to do what every back-up since has done against this pathetic excuse for a football franchise-he lights up the scoreboard and beats the Jets on his way to a hall of fame career.Don't EVEN get me started on Drew Bledsoe...

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

It won't happen until after the season of course. But tonight was it. The Browns were favored. They hadn't won in two years. Your team is up by double digits. Then the wheels fell off.

Stupid penalty after stupid penalty.  They got out played and out coached in the 2nd half. These are the things you get graded on.

Next few weeks are rough, this was the game to win to send a message about what you wanted this season to be. You failed this city.

Not sure how you give Macc another draft. Robby Anderson is considered one of the better receivers and he was an UDFA who beat out your two draft picks last year. Robby is like 140lbs and gets out muscled often. Maybe they could throw down the field to him, oh but Macc never drafts offensive lineman so they have to call plays like Pennington is the QB.

Fun stuff. But Bowles did himself in tonight, he is going to need to pull some serious upsets the next few weeks to reverse the course of this season.

Couldn't agree more.  Bowles should have been fired last year along with Mac but the braintrust gave them one last shot and this is the end result.  The roster is still full of holes, the team still lacks discipline after four years and almost a complete roster turnover, and the defense can't get a stop when it matters down the stretch of games.  These shortcomings and failures fall on the coach and GM.  In my mind, this year is all about developing Darnold and I hope this garbage coach doesn't F that up.  He should be gone the second the season ends

8 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

We all need to band together and weather this season. Let’s hope Sam isn’t ruined this year and we will root for him and the future. We kinda saw this coming, but it’s looking pretty ugly early into the year.

Sam deserves better than this. I hope we can all agree on what we’ve seen and look at the whole body of work of Bowles and Co. No more excuses. He’s done enough to get fired. Mac as well. Give someone new the keys to the castle with a top 10 pick, ton of cap and potential stud QB.

We fans are the heart and soul of this sh*tshow so let’s try to stick together and target our rage at those who deserve it (ownership, coaches,GM). 

Hang in there all. It wasn’t about this year anyways and there won’t be a grey area or any situation where this joke of a front office is retained. If it is, we go to f*cking war. 

Now that’s a true captain!

I fully expected a losing season.  4-6 wins. (I’m seeing 3-5 now). So I’m good with it.  It’s all about Darnold developing. 

It just makes it frustrating and easy to lose sight of that when you see winnable games and a team that could easily be 3-0 right now if they were a little more disciplined, took care of the ball better and if they managed situational Football at a competent level.

The reality is, this a talent deprived team.  And until they start finding and developing, they’re going to suck for a long time no matter how good Darnold can become. 

One key thing for me is Bowles choice of OCs....It’s like we want to be this ultra conservative play not to lose team on offense which doesn’t win you many games....Morton made McCown look like a competent starter last year and you fire him for this dickhead who calls these wacky ass end arounds at the worse possible times, and you want the offense to be stuck in quicksand so we can win 7-6 every game  

Bowles can’t be given the right to hire yet another OC....so it’s time for him to go 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

It won't happen until after the season of course. But tonight was it. The Browns were favored. They hadn't won in two years. Your team is up by double digits. Then the wheels fell off.

Stupid penalty after stupid penalty.  They got out played and out coached in the 2nd half. These are the things you get graded on.

Next few weeks are rough, this was the game to win to send a message about what you wanted this season to be. You failed this city.

Not sure how you give Macc another draft. Robby Anderson is considered one of the better receivers and he was an UDFA who beat out your two draft picks last year. Robby is like 140lbs and gets out muscled often. Maybe they could throw down the field to him, oh but Macc never drafts offensive lineman so they have to call plays like Pennington is the QB.

Fun stuff. But Bowles did himself in tonight, he is going to need to pull some serious upsets the next few weeks to reverse the course of this season.

completely baffling how they didn't take ONE shot downfield with anderson, with the way the browns were blitzing.  just roll darnold out and have him heave one.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

completely baffling how they didn't take ONE shot downfield with anderson, with the way the browns were blitzing.  just roll darnold out and have him heave one.  

Why is it baffling ? He fired John Morton for doing that too often last yr. Bowles said he wanted to be more involved with the O. Put 2 and 2 together and you get more running, and short conservative throws. I said this would happen all summer, and was told “ you don’t know that” ?‍♂️?

A lot of the team's lethargy (particularly Darnold's) can be attributed to 3 games in 11 days, but that does not absolve Bowles of playing not to lose after the team went up 14-0. They should have stepped on the Browns' throats at that point. 

Bowles has to go after this season. I kinda thought that Bates would be promoted to HC at that point, but I'm not so sure after the last 2 games. 

Finally, I would not be surprised in the least to see the Jets beat Jax in 2 weeks. 

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Anyone who watched the game knows they lost because the QB was running for his life every time he dropped back. It isn't  the HC's fault  we have a sh*t OL. 

Ypu want to blame him for Crowell wiping his butt with the ball, or for Johnson shoving the ball in Landry's chest, all the stupid false starts, fine. 

Here is my litmus test. Bench Anderson.  

Screw that....cut him.

12 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

One key thing for me is Bowles choice of OCs....It’s like we want to be this ultra conservative play not to lose team on offense which doesn’t win you many games....Morton made McCown look like a competent starter last year and you fire him for this dickhead who calls these wacky ass end arounds at the worse possible times, and you want the offense to be stuck in quicksand so we can win 7-6 every game  

Bowles can’t be given the right to hire yet another OC....so it’s time for him to go 

This. For all the Hue Jackson bashing, the guy has put together a staff that is 1000x better than our staff. He has a really good OC, and a really god DC.

Adjustments matter. Good coaches make them, bad coaches don't.

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I honestly thought the coaching was outstanding the first half. We came in on defense and played angry getting more pressure on tyrod than they were getting on darnold. Offense was run to keep as little pressure on darnold as possible. Coaching imo was not bad

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

It's a sixty minute game.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

The defense was gassed in the 4th qtr. Also when the blond who got peeped on said Bowles was not going to change his game plan for Mayfield in the 2nd half I knew they were in trouble. All on Bowles in this one.

That is a brutal statement.

It’s beyond me that someone with a half heart would call Erin that name after the horror she went thru

We said the same about Geno. Weapons this, play calling that. The QB played like ass. I can’t stand Bowles either, but be honest here.

Darnold was off for sure. There were a couple of passes that sailed away from open receivers so your right about that. He didn’t lose us the game though. He is in his third game as a pro. Second in prime time. 3rd in 11days. The coaches have to do their job and account for that.
The o line was atrocious for most of the night in pass protection. The wrs could barely get open. When Sam actually had time he would scan the field and have to throw it away. Tough to succeed like that.

But what lost us the game was when Crowell made that stupid TD celebration. Even Troy aikman was like oh.. come on man. It was below the normally low standard of what these players do after good plays.
3 plays later trumaine Johnson gets called for another disrespectful unsportsmanlike.
That was 30 yards and a new series of downs right there. The penalties came rolling in and the momentum of the game was shifted.

They were a defeated team who knows how to lose. The whole stadium felt it and that tru penalty (s) gave them life. They punt there and we score. It was that simple. The game was over.

Bowles lost his team who doesn’t know how to respectfully be ahead without being dicks.

That’s what happened. And that’s what set up the possibility of the baker show.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This will be the game that "the media" points to as the game that got Bowles fired. However, to all of us who watch every week, this was just another game that is more of the same of what we've seen since the get-go with him.

Undisciplined teams:

-Head of Propoganda Bob Wischusen saying the Tru penalty wasn't one of the bigger plays. Are you kidding me? It was the difference between getting the ball at the 30 (or better) with a dead crowd, up 14-0 and 6 min to go in the half, vs. getting it inside the 10, running 3 straight times, and that leading directly to 3 points for the Browns. But more importantly, why does this keep happening? We had Parry get a taunting flag in week 1. How do ANOTHER TWO taunting flags happen 2 weeks later? Good. teams. do. not. do. this. Did you see any taunting flags in the Jacksonville New England game last weekend? This is squarely on Bowles. For the love of god stop with "we'll get that fixed". No. you. won't. You haven't for four years.

Conservative philosophy:

-The offense was a disgrace last night. How about faking a screen for a bomb? Regardless, we don't need to be MMQB's. Our occupation isn't football coaching. This is a results business. These coaches get paid a fortune to be successful.

-End of first half: 4th and 3 at our own 47. There were 10 seconds on the clock. Zero reason (statistically) not to go for it there, and try to pick up 15+ yards for a field goal attempt. A play will take at minimum 5 seconds. If it is incomplete, the Browns only option is a hail mary. A team that understands statistics goes for it there. Our win probability went DOWN by punting. There are coaches in the NFL who understand this, and coaches who don't. Bowles does not, and it's infuriating in an era where statistics are so readily available to have a fossil of a coach not pay attention to them.

Not getting results on the defensive side of the football, his "specialty":

-I don't really care about his quote last night that "we aren't changing our approach with Baker in" - even though it's a stupid comment. He has lots of stupid quotes, but all that really matters is what happens on the field. Of course your approach should change. They aren't the same player.

-Last night, Baker Mayfield went 17/23 for 200 yards against his defense. THIS IS A LOADED DEFENSE. If "we're not that good", it is a result of decision making, not capital allocation. Almost every single player on the field on defense at this point came in under the Bowles / Macc regime, with a high salary and / or high draft pick. Please do not tell me Bowles has no say on players he thinks will be effective in his system. Williams was a 1. Lee was a 1. Williamson high paid free agent. Jenkins a 3. Tru is making a fortune. Adams a 1. Claiborne got paid. We have spent a TON of capital / draft picks on this defense. I don't care that they were gassed. They played terribly in the first half last week. Were they gassed then too? How about last year when they let up a mountain to the Panthers after the bye. Gassed then? Or 45 in Oakland. Or 31 in Miami. or 31 in NOLA. Give me a break.

-In this era, if you are going to have a defensive minded coach, he better have you at a top 5 defense every year. Otherwise, he is not worth it. What teams that are good at this point have defensive minded coaches? Bill (league of his own), Zimmer - who has assembled one of the best defenses of the decade, and anyone else coming to mind? Everybody who wins has moved on from defensive minded / stone age philosophy coaches, to offensive focused & statistically competent coaches. Why are we 10 years behind the rest of the league?

While I'm at it, Macc doesn't get a pass either. He's going to, since he drafted Darnold. But it really should be a complete house cleaning. I root for the Jets every game, but it's pretty obvious at this point they'd be better off for the long term bottoming out and clearing out everybody. 

Bowles and Mac have to go. 

Macc and the infrastructure of the business end should stay. A first time gm, who has done some good things, should get the chance to hire a coach and learn from past mistakes and misses.

The jets are going to have a top 10 pick this year. $100 mil and a franchise qb. That will be very attractive for a good offensive coach. Maybe someone who has some hc experience for once too for God’s sake.

I’ll add I have No idea who that coach should be lol

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

21 minutes ago, Thinker said:

That is a brutal statement.

It’s beyond me that someone with a half heart would call Erin that name after the horror she went thru

LOL. The only reason I called her that was because I couldn't remember her name. Lighten up Snowflake.

11 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I'm giving Bowles until week 6 until I judge him.  These were two short weeks with a 21 year old QB.

Next week vs the Jags should be a disaster.

Just no more phuckin WR screens please! 

Week 6?  You are overly generous.  Bowles has demonstrated over and over that he is flat out awful.  He was a mistake and still is.  

2 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Another thing I found disturbing was after halftime when Bowles said he would not be making adjustments for Mayfield and sticking to the game plan.  Part of coaching is making adjustments.  

^ This.  I almost fell off my couch when Bowles actually bragged to the female reporter how he had no intention of changing his game plan.

Right then, right there he should have been fired.  It's like a criminal defendant who has been convicted telling the judge during sentencing that if he had the opportunity, he would commit the crime again.   Bowles is just a really bad headcoach. And Jets ownership is just too dumb to see it.  We have to have the most intellectually challenged ownership in the league right after the Raiders.

Archived