Bowles got himself fired tonight

Maxman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Message to Coach Bowles. You've got a great job and seem like a really decent guy who has worked very hard to get where you are. You say all the right things when it comes to players playing smart and putting forth the effort in practice and the games. And the players, to a man, say that they respect you. But, actions speak louder than words. Their actions scream that they have no respect for you whatsoever and feel like they can do whatever they want. You treat these players like they are you when they were young. Most of them are nothing like you. So stop treating them they are a young you. Take a cue from your mentor who famously threw garbage all over the Giants locker room because that's what his players were... garbage. (BTW Giants won the SB that year). If these guys don't respect you because you are the HC and in charge, make them fear you. If you don't, they can tell you how much they respect you while they help you pack your office up.  

3 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Another thing I found disturbing was after halftime when Bowles said he would not be making adjustments for Mayfield and sticking to the game plan.  Part of coaching is making adjustments.  

But they did. They changed from a predominantly man D with lots of blitzing to a poorly executed (almost like they didn't practice it) zone D. Frankly, I think Bowles is a lot like mumbles in regard to withholding info from the media. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Week 6?  You are overly generous.  Bowles has demonstrated over and over that he is flat out awful.  He was a mistake and still is.  

Yeah i may be too nice.  I'm just thinking they went into these first 3 games knowing there'd be an extremely limited gameplan.  Rookie QB with 2 short weeks for his 2nd n 3rd games.

Not that week 4 vs Jacksonville will be much better though.

Which is why I'm trying to be patient.  Give them a couple weeks of "normal" game planning.

It has to get better...  right?

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yeah i may be too nice.  I'm just thinking they went into these first 3 games knowing there'd be an extremely limited gameplan.  Rookie QB with 2 short weeks for his 2nd n 3rd games.

Not that week 4 vs Jacksonville will be much better though.

Which is why I'm trying to be patient.  Give them a couple weeks of "normal" game planning.

It has to get better...  right?

then maybe they should have went with Josh and start Sam in week 4 or 5? again I have to question the coaching. Did anyone read the article in the post

https://nypost.com/2018/09/21/todd-bowles-to-blame-for-this-disaster-by-his-undisciplined-jets/

I had been willing to give Bowles the benefit of the doubt until last night.

1) No adjustments based on the changes in QB? (I have always thought K Rodgers should get a pink slip.)

2) Conservative game plan throughout the whole game? You ARE allowed to talk to your OC and tell him to open it up and stop with the WR screens.  As bad as those 3rd and 7 draw plays to Curtis Martin gaining five yards that I had to endure for, like, forever.

3) THE WORST - needless penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct from players that haven't earned the right to taunt their younger brothers in their backyards, let alone other players on an NFL field. BENCH THEM FOR A QUARTER if they can't figure it out on their own. If it's not clear from the coach that a lack of professionalism and self restraint will be punished, well, no wonder they are unprofessional and undisciplined.

So, I now am on the fire Bowles wheelchair/bandwagon.

34 minutes ago, jackhuntr said:

As soon as Mayfield came in I knew the game was over. He was playing on adrenaline just like Darnold on Monday night.  Also that's how the jets roll when another QB comes in against them. 

The second QB that comes in who was not prepared for is always a trap.   For Todd and Kacey, it was their Waterloo.  

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

I had been willing to give Bowles the benefit of the doubt until last night.

1) No adjustments based on the changes in QB? (I have always thought K Rodgers should get a pink slip.)

1 is actually incorrect, in a bad way.

There were adjustments.  They made the defense worse.  They switched from aggressive to zone.  It was a disaster and painful to watch.  

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

It won't happen until after the season of course. But tonight was it. The Browns were favored. They hadn't won in two years. Your team is up by double digits. Then the wheels fell off.

Stupid penalty after stupid penalty.  They got out played and out coached in the 2nd half. These are the things you get graded on.

Next few weeks are rough, this was the game to win to send a message about what you wanted this season to be. You failed this city.

Not sure how you give Macc another draft. Robby Anderson is considered one of the better receivers and he was an UDFA who beat out your two draft picks last year. Robby is like 140lbs and gets out muscled often. Maybe they could throw down the field to him, oh but Macc never drafts offensive lineman so they have to call plays like Pennington is the QB.

Fun stuff. But Bowles did himself in tonight, he is going to need to pull some serious upsets the next few weeks to reverse the course of this season.

I'm usually on here arguing with people defending the CS. After last nights debacle I'm done with that. Although I get upset with the guys who scream "fire ==== after each set of downs, long term I've finally come around to the fact this coaching staff is not the answer. My only hope going forward is that Darnold grows into the job this year while surrounded by everyone related to this forsaken team. BTW, with the exception of Enunwa, I'm not seeing anything from ONE of our impending FA's that would warrant us having to worry about losing them, much less worry about giving them big contracts.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

That is almost always true. The reason for pause is when you do it with a bottom five roster which they did. That said, new beginning \ new QB but you just can't have all these penalties. This team doesn't play smart and that is why you pay coaches millions.

I have less of a problem with the wiping the a$$ penalty than I do the personal foul on #22.  You score a TD, you used to play for the team, you are emotional. Dumb. But it is 15 yards. No big deal, learn from it.

You make a stop on 3rd down. You go out of the way to hand the receiver the ball and taunt him. Oh first down now. That could have put points on the board for the Browns. Terrible penalty.

Matchup wise they couldn't find something for Claiborne to do other than hold the receivers that were running past him?

Nickerson needs a zanax as well. Someone needs to take control and I fear it won't be Jamal Adams. He is too busy telling us how good he is.

Claiborne is pants

Todd Bowles lives about 10 minutes from me he recently bought a $2 million dollar home and his son plays high school football at the town school. 

I guess he feels very comfortable or has been guaranteed his position for years to come is my guess. 

As much as I want him fired don't think happening anytime soon. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles lives about 10 minutes from me he recently bought a $2 million dollar home and his son plays high school football at the town school. 

I guess he feels very comfortable or has been guaranteed his position for years to come is my guess. 

As much as I want him fired don't thinks happening anytime soon. 

F*ck.....

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

F*ck.....

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

As much as I want him fired don't think happening anytime soon. 

I keep saying it. Chris Johnson is the quintessential sycophant pushover who wants to be loved by the players. Just look at his interaction with them. He cares deeply that the players like him. As long as the players are behind Bowles Chris will lay down and let this franchise be stuck in the Bowles mud. 

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

I keep saying it. Chris Johnson is the quintessential sycophant pushover who wants to be loved by the players. Just look at his interaction with them. He cares deeply that the players like him. As long as the players are behind Bowles Chris will lay down and let this franchise be stuck in the Bowles mud. 

You are right, I have no confidence Chris will do anything to help this franchise. It was Woody who gave the green light for total rebuild and gave us hope for the future. Chris has literally done nothing other than take bows in the media.  

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

bowles has clearly dropped a notch or two.  and so has mac.  both of these games could have been wins.  they can't use darnold as an excuse because he doing pretty darn well.  the rest of the skill guys with the exception of enunwa and powell just aren't there every game.

I can't understand so many people here thinking Darnold has "played well". I'm all in with him needing time, and I have come around on the bad play calling. I also get the OL problems. Those are all reasons which I  think have contributed to Darnold NOT playing well thus far the last 2 games. If last night was the type of performance you guys are going to accept this year from him, you're not looking to see him develop, you're drinking Kool Ade. 

17 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I want Bowles and Macc gone.  It's not at Ryan/Idzik level.  But it's starting.

Ironically, John Idzik has drafted 50% of our best players on offense at their respective positions (Brian Winters and Quincy Enunwa).

Macc and Tanny drafted the other 50% (Sam and Bilal Powell, respectively)

17 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

We all need to band together and weather this season. Let’s hope Sam isn’t ruined this year and we will root for him and the future. We kinda saw this coming, but it’s looking pretty ugly early into the year.

Sam deserves better than this. I hope we can all agree on what we’ve seen and look at the whole body of work of Bowles and Co. No more excuses. He’s done enough to get fired. Mac as well. Give someone new the keys to the castle with a top 10 pick, ton of cap and potential stud QB. 

We fans are the heart and soul of this sh*tshow so let’s try to stick together and target our rage at those who deserve it (ownership, coaches,GM).  

Hang in there all. It wasn’t about this year anyways and there won’t be a grey area or any situation where this joke of a front office is retained. If it is, we go to f*cking war. 

giphy.gif

23 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Anyone who watched the game knows they lost because the QB was running for his life every time he dropped back. It isn't  the HC's fault  we have a sh*t OL. 

Ypu want to blame him for Crowell wiping his butt with the ball, or for Johnson shoving the ball in Landry's chest, all the stupid false starts, fine. 

Here is my litmus test. Bench Anderson.  

There are ways to combat that, throwing screens , throwing deep even once , misdirection and to their credit  in the 1st half they were negating some of it  by running directly at Garrett who was sucked out of position. Problem is in the 2nd half the Browns adjusted , but Mr Todd Bowles felt he just needed to stick to his game  plan . 

23 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I just know that was disgraceful.  That was not an NFL offense.  It was called like a high school game with the 3rd string QB playing.

W. T. F.

If Sam can only throw screens, bench him.  If it's the OC just calling crap games, fire him.  Tonight.

No i'm sorry Todd doesn't get to throw another OC under the bus. 

16 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I honestly thought the coaching was outstanding the first half. We came in on defense and played angry getting more pressure on tyrod than they were getting on darnold. Offense was run to keep as little pressure on darnold as possible. Coaching imo was not bad

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

And then the 2nd half started the Browns adjusted the Jets did not - bottom line end of story. 

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I can't understand so many people here thinking Darnold has "played well". I'm all in with him needing time, and I have come around on the bad play calling. I also get the OL problems. Those are all reasons which I  think have contributed to Darnold NOT playing well thus far the last 2 games. If last night was the type of performance you guys are going to accept this year from him, you're not looking to see him develop, you're drinking Kool Ade. 

No QB and I mean no QB will play well if the longest pass you attempt is 15 yards downfield. The game plan especially in the 2nd half was atrocious.   

18 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

That way really have been the worst offensively called game I've ever seen.  And I've been a Jet fan for over 3 decades.

D played pretty good.

Except when they needed a stop after the Jets went ahead 17-14, this has been a MO of Bowles teams with the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Except when they needed a stop after the Jets went ahead 17-14, this has been a MO of Bowles teams with the Jets. 

I don't agree.  The MO of Bowles' teams have been to do as little as possible offensively, then ride the D until they die.  It will continue until Bowles tells the OC to open up the offense.

6 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Ironically, John Idzik has drafted 50% of our best players on offense at their respective positions (Brian Winters and Quincy Enunwa).

Macc and Tanny drafted the other 50% (Sam and Bilal Powell, respectively)

And they both used up roughly 30 picks to get those 4.  Now that’s impressive!

I was done last year, when the only game I watched, they gave up BEFORE HALFTIME and Morton was so disgusted about it he spilled the beans that this loser instructed him to quit. 

I like the kid but these morons WILL ruin him if given the chance. The drafting on down has been a complete joke and embarassment 

12 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Darnold isn’t calling plays . He is excuting his screen pass Calls well lol only time we seem to go down field is when breaks the pocket and go off script ..  overall he has been okay with some good accuracy some bad throws here and there but he is rookie they can be confused at times when baited I gave him a D last night and majority of it wasn’t his fault . The OC and The Oline has hurt him more than he has hurt them.  They handcuffed him all game . 

1 hour ago, Hitman Harris said:

I was done last year, when the only game I watched, they gave up BEFORE HALFTIME and Morton was so disgusted about it he spilled the beans that this loser instructed him to quit. 

I like the kid but these morons WILL ruin him if given the chance. The drafting on down has been a complete joke and embarassment 

Morton was given absolute garbage to work with. Somehow he made it work pretty well.. he stretched the field with his absolutely only weapon in Robbie.. passing not just on 3rd and long when Everyone knows it’s coming, but 2nd and short when most d’s said “ Todd Bowles definitely wants to run it here “  it was not rocket science, look for Robbie deep first, if not there throw underneath to kearse, Jenkins..  Bowles told Morton “ you are passing too much “ but in reality we were in middle of pack in pass attempts. Morton obviously laughed at him and said “ what the hec do you know about offense ? You can’t even run a D” canned him for insubordination. Now he realized “ gee maybe he was right, you can’t just pass on 3rd and long when everyone knows it is coming “ and these short conservative hitches, are basically run plays

Archived