Bowles got himself fired tonight

Maxman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bowles CANNOT make in game adjustments.  We were in conservative zone garbage defense from the point we went up 14-0 to the end of the game

keep Bates, bring back Rex

A defensive genius head coach is supposed to be able to confuse and confound a rookieQB playing in his first game. Not the other way around 

Just now, freestater said:

A defensive genius head coach is supposed to be able to confuse and confound a rookieQB playing in his first game. Not the other way around 

I had flashbacks to Mangini doing the same thing against Matt Cassel

Soft zone bs.  No blitzing no bump and run just sit back in an umbrella

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 12:13 AM, Mike135 said:

I'm giving Bowles until week 6 until I judge him.  These were two short weeks with a 21 year old QB.

Next week vs the Jags should be a disaster.

Just no more phuckin WR screens please! 

There was no way to give a real assessment of things with those first 4 games and a rookie QB.

6 games in @ 3-3, Bowles gets a B+ from me.  Well done Todd.

Macc is up there as well with Lee and Adams playing great.

Great time to be a Jet fan.  We're set at GM, coach and qb for years.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

There was no way to give a real assessment of things with those first 4 games and a rookie QB.

There are a few things Bowles must do...err...continue to do for us to be set with him.

1. Call the defense, or have someone else as DC calling it next year. (He’s calling them now out of necessity. I hope he continues to).

2. Be involved with the offense, but let Bates do his thing. Let him gameplan and call the plays as he sees fit. (He seems to have done this the last couple of weeks)

3. Be aggressive. (40+ seconds on the clock before the half, 1 TO, starting in our own territory...T.Bowles lets us try and score.) FINALLY

4. Win games! Obvious, but make sure you have the pulse of the locker room, the focus of the team, and have them ready to play. No more coughing up leads. (Again, he’s done this lately).

Realistically, this was always a 7-9 team. If we miss the playoffs but Bowles continues his upward trend I’d be okay with him coming back.

If we happen to fall backwards to 10-6 and a wild card birth but are still plagued with the same nonsense we dealt with from Bowles since he’s been here, I’d want him gone.

I still have my doubts. 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Trying like hell to like Todd Bowles winning is making it easier, there isn't much out there to replace him.  

I can see him growing with this team. 

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Trying like hell to like Todd Bowles winning is making it easier, there isn't much out there to replace him.  

Good to hear.  There's the whole offseason to hate on the guy if needed.  

May as well try to support him during the season as he's doing well.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

possible..

i believe it's more likely coach bowles will end up being true to himself & revert back to his conservative ways as soon as he thinks he's in position to do so..

time will tell..

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

There are a few things Bowles must do...err...continue to do for us to be set with him.

1. Call the defense, or have someone else as DC calling it next year. (He’s calling them now out of necessity. I hope he continues to).

2. Be involved with the offense, but let Bates do his thing. Let him gameplan and call the plays as he sees fit. (He seems to have done this the last couple of weeks)

3. Be aggressive. (40+ seconds on the clock before the half, 1 TO, starting in our own territory...T.Bowles lets us try and score.) FINALLY

I still have my doubts. 

Those are the big 2.

Sean McVay does that, just backwards.   He runs the offense, and lets Wade Phillips have near complete autonomy over the defense.   Now, while Wade proved he is NOT a good head coach, he is an AMAZING defensive co-ordinator.

51 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

That is the truth.  

Heck, everyone wanted Gruden, how is that working out in Oakland?   "With the #1 overall selection the Oakland Raiders select....."

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That is the truth.  

Heck, everyone wanted Gruden, how is that working out in Oakland?   "With the #1 overall selection the Oakland Raiders select....."

Please do not say everyone.  I have been saying he was a clown for ages and he would be horrible upon his return.  He is cleaning house in Oakland.  I'm surprised Lynch hasn't choked him. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Please do not say everyone.  I have been saying he was a clown for ages and he would be horrible upon his return.  He is cleaning house in Oakland.  I'm surprised Lynch hasn't choked him. 

Valid point.   Not everyone.

It's very hard when a coach walks away for 10 years.   The only one I knew who did it for that long and came back to win was Vermeil with the Rams.   Some people on here are still hoping on Cowher.  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I was going to make a thread about he an Mac. We honestly need this whole year to evaluate both of them. It’s on record how I feel about these 2 and that they should both be fired based on what they have ALREADY done.

However, if Bowles goes back to being a glorified D coordinate and does well calling D and let’s Bates/Dennison run the offense, he may be worth bringing back. ONLY if he truly does change and if there aren’t any good candidates.

I expect a lot of teams to fire coaches and even though we will be an attractive destination, there will be a lot of competition. I don’t like change for the sake of change. If there truly aren’t any good candidates, stick to the structure of Bowles focusing on a defense and trusting the offense to do whatever it takes to win. No handcuffing 

For Mac, he needs to continue to excel at FA,contracts, trades but needs to overhaul his scouting department or have someone else handle drafting so he can focus more on the “big picture”. 

Its not impossible for people to grow on the job at this level. It’s just unlikely when you look at all of the mistakes that they both made in regards to the most important aspects of their jobs. That’s whats concerning. I would like nothing more that for the Jets to finish at least 8-8 and to have no choice but to keep everyone together for continuity and to take that next step. 

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Valid point.   Not everyone.

It's very hard when a coach walks away for 10 years.   The only one I knew who did it for that long and came back to win was Vermeil with the Rams.   Some people on here are still hoping on Cowher.  

I think he would have sucked if he only took a year off.  I wasn't impressed with his "genius."

6 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

we go to 4-3, Bowles is secure going forward...

Definitely agree. I know that I started this thread but I am glad that he seems to be turning things around. I never root for coaches to get fired, would be much easier for them to just improve and learn from mistakes. That seems to be happening here, good news. Hopefully it continues.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Definitely agree. I know that I started this thread but I am glad that he seems to be turning things around. I never root for coaches to get fired, would be much easier for them to just improve and learn from mistakes. That seems to be happening here, good news. Hopefully it continues.

If we go to a 4-3, what personnel do we need to replace? Lee works as a OLB and Williamson can work in the middle as a thumper. Who fills the opposite OLB spot? A strong safety? Do both Leo and Henry Anderson man the interior D line? Just curious what the scheme experts think. 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

You're doing it wrong.  You started the thread, therefore you double-down and just troll to squeeze out as many replies as possible.  I thought you knew how this worked by now.

Archived