Leonard Williams is flirting with busthood

sirlancemehlot

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Hes seeing less and less time while Henry Anderson is making plays. I dont think William's even showed up on the box score. Wtf is he doing for this team?  Also, trumain Johnson is not the player the jets are paying him to be. Discuss. 

I agree on both accounts .

Johnson is terrible and now we all understand why the Rams let what everyone assumed was a pro bowl type player go to free agency. Dumb penalty bad coverage all over the field.

Williams seems invisible and certainly was invisible when Hyde ran in the go ahead TD we really needed a stop there and where was Williams ? on his face. This is why you DO NOT DRAFT high profile Defensive lineman to play in a god damn 3/4 defense you draft LB first and D line in the later rounds because in a damn 3/4 the D line are mostly occupiers if they create some pressure great but they usually don't.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Johnson is terrible and now we all understand why the Rams let what everyone assumed was a pro bowl type player go to free agency. Dumb penalty bad coverage all over the field.

Williams seems invisible and certainly was invisible when Hyde ran in the go ahead TD we really needed a stop there and where was Williams ? on his face. This is why you DO NOT DRAFT high profile Defensive lineman to play in a god damn 3/4 defense you draft LB first and D line in the later rounds because in a damn 3/4 the D line are mostly occupiers if they create some pressure great but they usually don't.

Bowles only knows one scheme and will jam round pegs into square holes all day rather than get creative

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Yet we got rid of Snacks. 

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I've been saying this for years. 

I used to argue with Gato about it, when we paid the slug Wilkerson.

Yet the fan base buys Mo jerseys and Revis jerseys BOTH of whom treated the Jets like wet whores.

Sheldon Richardson and Mo and we let Snacks walk.  THAT is the JETS.  McCags is about as lame a GM as exists in the NFL.

29 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Not his biggest fan

but thought he had a good game

he controlled the line of scrimmage, often pushing the Oline back into the RB or QB

Jenkins also surprised me, looked great

Yeah, Johnson is way over priced

D wasn’t the problem tonight, just got wore down by the end of the game. 

I've been critical of the D before - especially last year - but they're not the reason we've lost the last two weeks IMHO. 20 and 21 points against, you have to be able to win those games by SCORING POINTS, not expecting to give up even fewer. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Bowles only knows one scheme and will jam round pegs into square holes all day rather than get creative

Recall Mangini was not wedded to 3-4 nor 4-3, changed it up every week depending on matchups. And that Rex Ryan moved defenders around to try to get mismatches and avoid getting defenders doubled. Alas, Todd Bowles' idea is to run his defense under every circumstance and never move Williams around. Now he may very well be underachieving. But don't trust Bowles with a coffee order. For a coach that pretends to be some defensive genius, looks really lazy and braindead. 

It is bowles, he is using the Williams as line occupier which is stupid beyond belief. He even admitted he was not adjusting his game plan with the QB change. Embarrassing job by Bowles and Kasey. their player development has been bad. For all those picks on the d side of the ball We should expect more but the coaching Philosophy is bad. They make no adjustments, and do not put players in a consistent position to succeed.

You expect the defense to hold with the lead. Pure and simple with all the picks spent on that side of the ball they should be leading the team there are no excuses. 

The penalties specifically the holding calls on the dbs and the un-sportsman like penalties show an undisciplined team and that is coaching not preparing them or coaching them different technics on how to cover people.

5 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Hes seeing less and less time while Henry Anderson is making plays. I dont think William's even showed up on the box score. Wtf is he doing for this team?  Also, trumain Johnson is not the player the jets are paying him to be. Discuss. 

yall were callin this 22 a shutdown corner...

and Leo...  nice run stopper...  nuthn else

58 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Recall Mangini was not wedded to 3-4 nor 4-3, changed it up every week depending on matchups. And that Rex Ryan moved defenders around to try to get mismatches and avoid getting defenders doubled. Alas, Todd Bowles' idea is to run his defense under every circumstance and never move Williams around. Now he may very well be underachieving. But don't trust Bowles with a coffee order. For a coach that pretends to be some defensive genius, looks really lazy and braindead. 

Except Mangini was so wedded to a 3-4 that we got rid of Vilma.

Also Leo lined up over center, as the 5- technique, wide and at linebacker last week. 

The coaching can be bad and Leo can be underachieving at the same time. That being said the same coaching has Darron Lee playing at a pro bowl level and Jordan Jenkins looking like more than an average starter. 

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

What are you talking about? I read here all offseason that he is an elite, top 5 corner!

In an offensive league the Jets have the least explosive group in the entire league! Landry, Callaway & Higgins are all better or equal to Enunwa. 

NJoku is a better TE than the Jets have. The Johnsons have AGAIN allowed a defensive head coach to come in here & hijack the offensive side of the ball for his own ego on a defense that can't make a stop when they most need it. 

Forget all the passing. How about the incomplete, 2nd & 10 and Hyde goes RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE for 10 yards & a 1st down! I was like WTF! 

23 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Also Leo lined up over center, as the 5- technique, wide and at linebacker last week. 

The coaching can be bad and Leo can be underachieving at the same time. That being said the same coaching has Darron Lee playing at a pro bowl level and Jordan Jenkins looking like more than an average starter. 

Darron Lee only had one game where he played at a clear pro bowl level this year; not at all coincidentally the one game where we intercepted the signals from Stafford.

Jordan Jenkins is not and does not look like an above average starter. 

One doesn't draft a player at #6 in the country to be a little versatile. A player is taken that high to be a persistent pain in the ass for the offense, who has to think hard about how to account for him and potentially hamper the rest of their offense in the process. He's supposed to be an obvious difference-maker. I do like him, but he isn't that.

Vilma was good, but not nearly great enough to dictate what defense the team runs. There are smaller, Vilma-sized players who perform just fine in a 3-4 defense. Vilma wasn't versatile enough to do so, and plenty got sick of watching him get taken out of plays by fullbacks and getting stats-credit for tackles he made after getting dragged past the first down marker.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What are you talking about? I read here all offseason that he is an elite, top 5 corner!

I did as well, until I saw him play.... He's freaking terrible. How does a pro bowl Veteran get that unsportsmanlike penalty ? DUMB as if this team needs more dumb. We have Buster Skrine who plays great for three quarters then goes on a penalty fest .... Seems like Johnson might be that same guy except he's never played great for us yet. I thought we had enough dumb in Robbie Anderson now i see this team is littered with dumb and still seems very undisciplined

I said this in the thread about the 2019 cap. Williams is a nice, above average player. He is not a game changer. He is not Mo or Sheldon at their respective peaks. I don't want the team to spend 14 million on Leo next year. Either extend him at 6-8 million per year (which is what his production merits) or cut him loose. I'd rather roll with Anderson and Sheppard on their cheap deals and spend the 14 million on the offensive line or an edge rusher. 

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yet the fan base buys Mo jerseys and Revis jerseys BOTH of whom treated the Jets like wet whores.

Sheldon Richardson and Mo and we let Snacks walk.  THAT is the JETS.  McCags is about as lame a GM as exists in the NFL.

In fairness, any GM would have signed Mo over Snacks.  Snacks is a pure run stopper who does not get sacks. Mo was coming off a big season and never gave any indication that he would dog it once he got paid.  I liked Snacks but the Giants paid him top dollar. 

Mac can be criticized for much, but not this. 

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

We didn't get rid of him, we just wouldn't pay what the Giants paid. Also, didn't we replace him with other players? Yes, we have not been able to take full advantage of Leo's ability, but not sure what not overpaying Snacks has to do with it. A bonafide pass rusher would help him avoid some of the double teams, but ...

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Darron Lee only had one game where he played at a clear pro bowl level this year; not at all coincidentally the one game where we intercepted the signals from Stafford.

Vilma was good, but not nearly great enough to dictate what defense the team runs. There are smaller, Vilma-sized players who perform just fine in a 3-4 defense. Vilma wasn't versatile enough to do so, and plenty got sick of watching him get taken out of plays by fullbacks and getting stats-credit for tackles he made after getting dragged past the first down marker.

Darron Lee was excellent last night like objectively he’s been really good... and Jenkins has 2 sacks and 2 FF in 3 games plus numerous pressures... 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All pro bowlers do not play at a pro bowl level every game.I think Lee is having a solid year. That still does not discount the fact he's playing in a defensive scheme he is simply not built for.

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In fairness, any GM would have signed Mo over Snacks.  Snacks is a pure run stopper who does not get sacks. Mo was coming off a big season and never gave any indication that he would dog it once he got paid.  I liked Snacks but the Giants paid him top dollar. 

Mac can be criticized for much, but not this. 

No.... any GM would not have signed MO over snacks ... One of the most important parts of a 3-4 defense is the nose tackle and we had one of the best ones in the NFL .I said it then and I'll say it now no way in hell we should have signed Mo over Snacks in a 3-4 scheme

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Fortunately, or unfortunately, we get to watch Snacks play in NY and you see him fight off double teams on a game in, game out basis. Meanwhile, Williams can barely beat his man, one on one. It's getting pretty bad, but at least it's happening BEFORE we gave him a Mo Wilkerson deal. 

38 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You don't make the Pro-bowl by being one dimensional at least you shouldn't.  As good as Lee has been this against the pass he was been as bad against the run.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-jets-darron-lee-is-the-best-coverage-linebacker-in-football-through-week-2

Lee sits atop the list of the NFL’s 40 highest-graded linebackers (minimum 50 defensive snaps), but he is the only one on the list with a run-defense grade below 53.0. Lee’s Achilles heel when defending the run, dating back to his days at The Shoe, has been his inability to shed the second-level blocks of offensive linemen, and even Lee’s stellar start to the 2018 season hasn’t been without poor block-shedding. Through two weeks, Lee ranks 26th among the 43 linebackers with 30-plus run-defense snaps in percentage of snaps with a negative grade (15.0 percent).

6 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I agree. I heard he was the best available player. He clearly wasn't.

Dude is a good player, but has not lived up to the hype. 

6 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Williams is doing what Williams is expected. He wasn’t going to be a pass rusher, why he fell to us despite his high grades. Mac wouldn’t pass up on BPA. He would pick a punter in 2nd round if his little BPA chart   said to. Too early to judge Johnson. I know we were spoiled for years  with the best cover corner in the history of nfl, but it is not uncommon for any other top corner to miss plays, have bad games. The corner market prices have got out of hand just like the Oline market. Of course macey will pay for the overpriced D player, never the premium for a Olineman to help our qb

Archived