4 years of undisciplined football.

johnnyjet

That’s what we’ve been subjected to.  Stupid penalties at critical moments of the games, lousy clock management, a defense that can never get offf the field. Always giving up a critical 3rd and what ever.  This all falls on coaching. Specifically Todd Bowles.  I’m done with this clueless fool he needs to be fired. Now.  

two games of just awful field position.  field position is abut first downs---for the offense and against the defense.  We excel at allowing them, are meh at getting them.  That is because Bowles plays scared.  Scared of the D.  Scared of the O.  Scared of his own players.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The number of penalties and other undisciplined moments is unforgivable.

I've been saying this since Bowles has been here. Push ups? What is this phys ed? How many games do we have to see this guy lose with a lead? We gave up another score, FG before the half again. Rinse & repeat. 

Empty seats in MetLife again soon. 1-3 after Jacksonville. 

Zero accountability, thats what this comes down to.  Continue to run skrine out there no matter how much he screws up, no matter how many blown coverages, penalties, missed assignments, it doesnt matter.  

Missed meetings, no big deal.

Didnt run your pattern through the endzone, we will get it fixed.

Bowles shouldnt have been allowed on the plane last night

26 minutes ago, jack48 said:

two games of just awful field position.  field position is abut first downs---for the offense and against the defense.  We excel at allowing them, are meh at getting them.  That is because Bowles plays scared.  Scared of the D.  Scared of the O.  Scared of his own players.

Early on we did well in the field position battle. Cleveland pinned us at our 1 yard line early. Shortly after that we had Cleveland starting on their own 6 (and then blocked the punt).

And while the penalty on Crowell was dumb and amateur, it didn't really hurt us - Cleveland started from their 26 yard line after the ensuing kick off - 1 yard different from a touchback.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Correction, 10 years.

Mangini was the last coach to hold guys to a standard, despite not being great at it.

Even Herm Edwards, the ultimate "player's coach", did well on playing discipline. His teams were often among the least penalized in the league.

One thing I despised about Rex, and I see in Bowles too, was the same old line "we'll get that fixed" ... and then doing the exact same sh!t the very next game.

How about giving the head coaching job to an offensive side of the ball coach instead of defensive-minded schmucks.  Let's see DC Belichick? didn't want the job, Al Groh Defense, Herm Edwards Defense, Eris Mangini Defense, Fat Ass Ryan Defense, and now Bowles another Defensive coach. There are two things that the Jets under the Johnson family are almost sure to do, pick in the top 6 and draft a defensive player and the other is his a DC for HC. Nothing changes if nothing ever changes. Give the OC the job. It is pathetic when it's the 3rd game of another "the season's already over" year of Jets football. Bowles brings nothing to the sidelines except that stupid half smile with his arms folded. Horrible head coach-he's gotta go.

8 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Even Herm Edwards, the ultimate "player's coach", did well on playing discipline. His teams were often among the least penalized in the league.

One thing I despised about Rex, and I see in Bowles too, was the same old line "we'll get that fixed" ... and then doing the exact same sh!t the very next game.

The teams that see the Jets on film every week can simply plug in any game since Bowles got here. There are almost no defensive adjustments nor wrinkles. Same defense every down;rush 4 , often a soft zone with big ass cushions. Have no idea if they keep the stat, but opposing offenses must convert 3rd down at a higher rate vs. the Jets than any other defense. 

6 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

How about giving the head coaching job to an offensive side of the ball coach instead of defensive-minded schmucks.  Let's see DC Belichick? didn't want the job, Al Groh Defense, Herm Edwards Defense, Eris Mangini Defense, Fat Ass Ryan Defense, and now Bowles another Defensive coach. There are two things that the Jets under the Johnson family are almost sure to do, pick in the top 6 and draft a defensive player and the other is his a DC for HC. Nothing changes if nothing ever changes. Give the OC the job. It is pathetic when it's the 3rd game of another "the season's already over" year of Jets football. Bowles brings nothing to the sidelines except that stupid half smile with his arms folded. Horrible head coach-he's gotta go.

I'm convinced somebody got it into Woody's head early, that you can only win a championship with a defensive head coach. Similar to Al Davis. I don't ever expect to see an OC become our head coach. Too bad, really, especially with a good young QB 

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

That’s what we’ve been subjected to.  Stupid penalties at critical moments of the games, lousy clock management, a defense that can never get offf the field. Always giving up a critical 3rd and what ever.  This all falls on coaching. Specifically Todd Bowles.  I’m done with this clueless fool he needs to be fired. Now.  

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?yr=2016

First two years of Bowles as HC the Jets were one of the least penalized teams... 

20 minutes ago, freestater said:

I'm convinced somebody got it into Woody's head early, that you can only win a championship with a defensive head coach. Similar to Al Davis. I don't ever expect to see an OC become our head coach. Too bad, really, especially with a good young QB 

As long as the Johnson family owns this team, the Jets will never be a respected or championship team. Bottom line, just because he's over in England doesn't mean that Woody Johnson isn't STILL the biggest problem that any Jets team, players, or coaches have. It's like the league wrote a summary of how they wanted to sell this Thursday Night Football game. They would throw the penalties that needed to be thrown at the times they needed them to BE thrown and they will be sure to not throw any on Cleveland. Strange how every announcer predicted the Browns pre-game wasn't it? I mean you make a team that hadn't won in 2 years the 3 pt favorite? The NFL is fixed, and it wouldn't be so bad but why is it that the Jets never seem to be the team that is given the league breaks?

3rd qb for bowles, same story - as SOON as they have a lead they go into bunker mode, then when they're finally, inevitably losing late in the game b/c the defense can't hold a lead and the offense isn't trying to get first downs, the offense finally opens up and they turn it over.

same old bowles, would rather lose by a few and point to the moral victories.

2 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Only 4 Years??? Where have you been for the last 15 years

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Early on we did well in the field position battle. Cleveland pinned us at our 1 yard line early. Shortly after that we had Cleveland starting on their own 6 (and then blocked the punt).

And while the penalty on Crowell was dumb and amateur, it didn't really hurt us - Cleveland started from their 26 yard line after the ensuing kick off - 1 yard different from a touchback.

Crowell's penalty is a symptom of what s lacking in Bowles coaching resume.  You are right.  It did not immediately affect play, except perhaps to stoke a fire in the Cleveland players.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I've been saying this since Bowles has been here. Push ups? What is this phys ed? How many games do we have to see this guy lose with a lead? We gave up another score, FG before the half again. Rinse & repeat. 

Empty seats in MetLife again soon. 1-3 after Jacksonville. 

The Bowles Prevent----a model for offenses everywhere

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

As long as the Johnson family owns this team, the Jets will never be a respected or championship team. Bottom line, just because he's over in England doesn't mean that Woody Johnson isn't STILL the biggest problem that any Jets team, players, or coaches have. It's like the league wrote a summary of how they wanted to sell this Thursday Night Football game. They would throw the penalties that needed to be thrown at the times they needed them to BE thrown and they will be sure to not throw any on Cleveland. Strange how every announcer predicted the Browns pre-game wasn't it? I mean you make a team that hadn't won in 2 years the 3 pt favorite? The NFL is fixed, and it wouldn't be so bad but why is it that the Jets never seem to be the team that is given the league breaks?

You just knew a penalty flag was gonna be on that 2 point miss. Off setting? LOL. It was like that game was SCRIPTED for a National audience.

5 hours ago, jack48 said:

Scared and conservative. All D gurus who become hcs wants the conservative offense.. but even on D playing zone and letting a extremely accurate passer pick his D apart. Bowles obviously did not study up on mayfield at all. He was only prepared to contain Taylor

18 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Scared and conservative. All D gurus who become hcs wants the conservative offense.. but even on D playing zone and letting a extremely accurate passer pick his D apart. Bowles obviously did not study up on mayfield at all. He was only prepared to contain Taylor

He wasn't prepared for Moore last year either, even though the talk EVERY WEEK in Miami was that Cutler might be benched he was playing so bad. 

Moore vs Jets in 2017, come back win, 1/2 game 13-21 188 yards 2 TDs, looks eerily similar doesn't it? 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

He wasn't prepared for Moore last year either, even though the talk EVERY WEEK in Miami was that Cutler might be benched he was playing so bad. 

Moore vs Jets in 2017, come back win, 1/2 game 13-21 188 yards 2 TDs, looks eerily similar doesn't it? 

Thing is that had a look at mayfield before half, knew he was coming back. What the hec did he work on during halftime ???

17 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Thing is that had a look at mayfield before half, knew he was coming back. What the hec did he work on during halftime ???

I hate Bowles, I really do. Head coaching jobs are for CLOSERS! 

Bowles: Penalties not a coaching problem but a players’ one

September 22, 2018 | 3:31am

The Jets thought they were past this point.

They thought they knew how to finish games, something that killed them repeatedly in 2017. The Week 1 victory over the Lions felt like these Jets were different than last year’s version. Instead, Thursday showed they still have a long way to go.

“We’ve just got to learn how to finish games,” wide receiver Jermaine Kearse said after Thursday’s 21-17 loss to the Browns. “That’s just something that we’ve got to continue to harp on and continue to talk about is just finishing.”

It was not just the lack of a killer instinct that felt familiar Thursday night. It was the boneheaded penalties the Jets committed at inopportune times. It was a lack of discipline on the field that showed up again. It all felt too familiar for the Jets.

“I think we just have a lot of growing up to do in terms of one, being able to handle a lead and two, being able to be composed when adversity hits,” Kearse said. “It’s frustrating because it’s something we’ve been dealing with and it’s just something we’ve got to continue to push the pedal on.”

Coach Todd Bowles said it is not one thing that continually trips up his Jets.

“It’s different things that happen at different times,” Bowles said. “You don’t want things to happen on a two-point play and some plays he has too much time in the pocket and they can’t cover [receivers] forever. Sometimes the pressure is good and they’re not covering [receivers] at all or are blowing an assignment here or there. With a young team and with certain new guys it’s something we have to iron out that we will take care of.”

After taking all the blame following the loss Thursday night, Bowles said Friday that the penalty problem that plagues his team is not a coaching issue. 

“Well, the penalties are definitely on the players. Coaches can’t play for them,” Bowles said. “We understand situations and we know what to do and what not to do. Guys got to be calmer in certain situations.”

Bowles said he believes the Jets will be a good team. But they did not look that way in Thursday’s game. They blew a 14-0 lead, gave the Browns chances by committing penalties and looked helpless against rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield.

In the postgame locker room, the Jets searched for answers.

“I think that we have some smart players and we just didn’t play smart football,” wide receiver Quincy Enunwa said. “It’s unfortunate because I don’t want to say we’re better because obviously we weren’t better. We started off really strong. We let their momentum kind of roll downhill. On top of that, we shot ourselves in the foot. Anytime you do that, it’s always going to be a loss, man.”

The theme of the night was that the Jets lost their composure.

“We just got too excited,” Enunwa said. “Thursday night and we lost our composure. We’re a smarter team than that. It’s unfortunate we put that out there on Thursday night in front of everybody.”

Offensively, the Jets looked scared of the Browns’ pass rush and their game plan reflected that. Offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates called short passes again and again and never let Sam Darnold try anything downfield. Bowles defended the play-calling on Friday.

“I thought we were well-balanced on offense,” Bowles said. “I thought we had some plays dialed up off of what they did. They changed some things around in the second half that negated some of the things we had dialed up. But I thought offensively we had a good game plan that was balanced.”

Despite the devastating loss, Bowles said he is not worried about the season getting away from his young team.

“It’s not a concern at all,” Bowles said. “I know we got good character and I know we’ll fight and I know we have a decent team. I just got to cut down and fix some things.”

On 9/21/2018 at 8:15 AM, jamesr said:

"It will be addressed". But it never is. 

Archived