Sign in to follow this  
TeddEY

Waste your time on my self-indulgent, overly-long, thoughts on the state of the Jets (plus bonus content)

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

JetNation - The game thread last night became a disaster.  Guys, it's a game and it's a discussion forum.  Getting angry at each other is one thing, but telling people to go **** themselves and to kill themselves and the other meltdowns - get some priorities.  This is a hobby.  It doesn't matter.  I imagine most of us went to work today, and would have done the same had the Jets won.  Perspective... Seriously.

I purposely stayed away during and after the game. 

This loss goes down as one of the worst in NY Jets history. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

There’s no ******* way I’m reading this now but it’s nice to know it’s here when I have ten minutes.

I look forward to whenever it is that you take a dump.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

Nice job EY - agree with the vast majority of this, although I think the Darnold paragraph is the Jet-hangover talking.  I think this sentence --- "The important thing is that Macc must go with him." --- is the key.  The season was always going to be about Darnold's development.  To me, now it's also about TB and MM both getting the F out.

Maybe - I'm fully aware, as you see, that he's getting no help whatsoever.  But, that throw for the pick was a disaster, and it was far from his only ill-advised throw of the night.  I'm a Darnold fan.  I'm being honest about my feelings w/ him from the Combine, but I also never thought we'd get him.  Like I said though, I do think his floor is pretty damn high, based on what we've seen.  But, I've been burned too many times thinking QBs may get better at some of their big deficiencies.  Call Darnold a rookie, but that pick has to scare you - I remember thinking, we need the red, yellow, green lights again.  I hope you're right, but looking at the arm talent, Baker can rip the ball, and Darnold simply can't.

I was thrilled with your think piece until you said “it doesn’t matter” because then I began to wonder why I read your post and it became a meta spiral.

• Upvote 2

Maybe - I'm fully aware, as you see, that he's getting no help whatsoever.  But, that throw for the pick was a disaster, and it was far from his only ill-advised throw of the night.  I'm a Darnold fan.  I'm being honest about my feelings w/ him from the Combine, but I also never thought we'd get him.  Like I said though, I do think his floor is pretty damn high, based on what we've seen.  But, I've been burned too many times thinking QBs may get better at some of their big deficiencies.  Call Darnold a rookie, but that pick has to scare you - I remember thinking, we need the red, yellow, green lights again.  I hope you're right, but looking at the arm talent, Baker can rip the ball, and Darnold simply can't.

Yeah, some decisions last night were concerning. But he was also starting his 3rd game in 11 days to start his career, against an underrated defense coached by a savage coordinator. No excuse for the bad decisions, but he's already lightyears beyond the incredibly low measuring stick of the red-yellow-green Sanchez days.

I also addressed this in a separate thread, but I'm not concerned about Darnold's arm strength. Yeah, maybe Baker's is slightly stronger. But Darnold also has plenty of zip when he steps up and rips a slant or skinny post, and has made some impossible sideline throws while on the run. So yeah, I'm not concerned about the arm strength bit. The decisions, I agree were concerned. We'll see how he picks himself up off the mat. It was always a growth year!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I was thrilled with your think piece until you said “it doesn’t matter” because then I began to wonder why I read your post and it became a meta spiral.

Haha.

Obviously, it matters to all of us.  Probably too much.  The game threads always get heated, but last night it was on a disturbing level...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The GM has had 4  drafts and the roster is still full of holes.  The coach has had 3+ years and still leads an undisciplined team and is unable to make adjustments during games that cost them game after game.  The sample size is large enough for both to realize they both need to be gone when this season is over.  I don't want either anywhere near building and coaching a team around Darnold.  

Indeed.  I guess, my whole thought process behind defending Bowles, besides what's already stated above, is that I think, he'd be fine in better circumstances and Mac is the one who creates the circumstances.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Nah - Because, the actual consequences are almost non-existent.  It's week 3 in a non-playoff season.  It sucks because we gave the Browns their first win, but otherwise, it's a total non-factor.

The loss against the Rex-led Bills in Bowles/Macc's 1st year w/ Fitz, to miss the playoffs was far worse, and that loss doesn't even register.

The Browns had not won a game since December of 2016 this game was on national TV. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Losmeister said:

clean pocket step into throw = zinging the ball..  collapsing pocket on all sides...  not so much...

Sure, of course.  But lets not act as if every throw Sam made was under duress.  Again, yes, he has no help what-so-ever, but there are times when he also had the opportunity to look better than he has.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Sure, of course.  But lets not act as if every throw Sam made was under duress.  Again, yes, he has no help what-so-ever, but there are times when he also had the opportunity to look better than he has.

Sure...  by the end he was a textbook case of the yips...

I think last night might be their worst regular season loss of my life-time...(from a symbolic perspective) And before everyone starts on me, I'm old and yes, I watch all the games. I know there's been much bigger losses, but the symbolic way in which they loss, be it the excitement Jets fans were FINALLY starting to feel after 50 years, and given them playing maybe the only other franchise considered to be worse over the last 50 years, and then give the rookie QB situation of Darnold looking so good week 1...and then looking so bad, along with the lead, to Mayfield's Gladiator-like entrance to lighting it up, and then snapping the winless streak, as the Jets future QB throws multiple picks to end the game.

• Upvote 3

Come on man... you can’t just throw away the first two games of Sams career out the window.

the arm strength thing... is total crap. He can throw a 15 yard out on a rope... he did it last night.  That’s the hardest throw to make in the nfl and the one that measures arm strength. He tends to have some off balance army throws that look week but that’s not an indication of his ability to rip it...

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Come on man... you can’t just throw away the first two games of Sams career out the window.

the arm strength thing... is total crap. He can throw a 15 yard out on a rope... he did it last night.  That’s the hardest throw to make in the nfl and the one that measures arm strength. He tends to have some off balance army throws that look week but that’s not an indication of his ability to rip it...

On his first play ever he threw a pick six across his body.  He makes really bad decisions.  Hopefully he will grow from it.

I think he will be solid-to-good at worst.  But, lets not pretend like this is all gumdrops and rainbows.

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

clean pocket step into throw = zinging the ball..  collapsing pocket on all sides...  not so much...

Please add.....receivers(other than Q) who can friggin get open, catch and hold onto the ball.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

ummmmm....Where is the bonus content I was promised?

Hot Takes like Baker Mayfield, The Browns, and Kahlil Mack aren't enough for you?

You're also being treated to a reddit style AMA with the author.

I'll start a kickstarter if you need more deep cuts.

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think last night might be their worst regular season loss of my life-time...(from a symbolic perspective) And before everyone starts on me, I'm old and yes, I watch all the games. I know there's been much bigger losses, but the symbolic way in which they loss, be it the excitement Jets fans were FINALLY starting to feel after 50 years, and given them playing maybe the only other franchise considered to be worse over the last 50 years, and then give the rookie QB situation of Darnold looking so good week 1...and then looking so bad, along with the lead, to Mayfield's Gladiator-like entrance to lighting it up, and then snapping the winless streak, as the Jets future QB throws multiple picks to end the game.

No question a tough emotional loss.

Life, for good and bad reasons, has offered me enough perspective not to be that bothered by this one.  For which, I suppose I'm grateful.  Though, at the same time, I also wonder if I'll experiences the highs the same way, should they ever come back.

• Upvote 2

No question a tough emotional loss.

Life, for good and bad reasons, has offered me enough perspective not to be that bothered by this one.  For which, I suppose I'm grateful.  Though, at the same time, I also wonder if I'll experiences the highs the same way, should they ever come back.

You wont, but that's ok. 

I'm still not seeing the arm concerns with Darnold though. Hes got enough arm, he just not a polished QB.. more a puncher than a boxer at this point. Looks similar to the game tape of last year at college.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

On his first play ever he threw a pick six across his body.  He makes really bad decisions.  Hopefully he will grow from it.

I think he will be solid-to-good at worst.  But, lets not pretend like this is all gumdrops and rainbows.

That was a designed play... how did he do after that?

Excellent post. I agree with pretty much all of it. I woke up this morning less angry but very much resigned to the haplessness of this team. Bowles and MM have to go. I was wishy washy on this before, no longer. It needs to happen.

Worst part is I'm now doubting the kid. I don't know If he has it. He's obviously not Petty or even Nagle, but I'm no longer confident he has the goods to be a gamechanger. Come to think of it, I'm not confident in much of anything with this team at the moment other than they'll be the jets.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Worst part is I'm now doubting the kid. I don't know If he has it. He's obviously not Petty or even Nagle, but I'm no longer confident he has the goods to be a gamechanger. Come to think of it, I'm not confident in much of anything with this team at the moment other than they'll be the jets.

The kid didn't play QB full time till senior year in high school. Then only 2 years in college, the last of which looked a lot like this season so far. How many less reps does he have than Mayfield?

We all seem to have forgotten how raw this kid was watching him the last 2 months.  He's got a lot of talent and unteachable abilties. But he's had no where near the hours of practice and repetition it takes to bring a baseline of professional competency.

Give him time. (I would be in support of bringing an offensive minded HC in here that has a record of developing QB's and not investing all resources in D)

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, nico002 said:

That was a designed play... how did he do after that?

Great.

Is it impossible to recognize that there are some issues within his game, while still supporting him, feeling reasonably optimistic, and liking him?

30 minutes ago, CTM said:

You wont, but that's ok. 

Yeah, I know.  Though, just learned I have a son on the way, so the curse will continue on.

• Like 2

The kid didn't play QB full time till senior year in high school. Then only 2 years in college, the last of which looked a lot like this season so far. How many less reps does he have than Mayfield?

We all seem to have forgotten how raw this kid was watching him the last 2 months.  He's got a lot of talent and unteachable abilties. But he's had no where near the hours of practice and repetition it takes to bring a baseline of professional competency.

Give him time. (I would be in support of bringing an offensive minded HC in here that has a record of developing QB's and not investing all resources in D)

I think we all want a strong offensive HC for once. I question if it will ever happen though. Even if it does, can they protect Sam, can they find talent to play with Sam, and will the D go to hell when/if it does are all valid questions that will need to be answered.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be argumentative. I am about as down on the prospects of this team as I've been in a while. I asked myself last night why I bother. I still haven't found an answer.

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yeah, I know.  Though, just learned I have a son on the way, so the curse will continue on.

Congrats!!! 

Maybe he'll rebel and follow another team :)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mac's draft results are damming. Unless Darnold looks like a star by the end of the season, shepherd becomes stalwart DE, and Herndon and nickerson become productive, reliable starters, there is no defense for his failures. He needs this draft class to excel to argue that he's figured it out and learned from his mistakes.

Bowles is clearly at a turning point. The mistakes and undisciplined play has to end. If it does, he keeps his job. If it doesn't, it just means that while the players "say" they respect bowles, they really do not. And if they don't respect him, that's on him and he has to go.

• Upvote 3