This Game Broke Me

House Jet

I know I'm overreacting and I know its only week 3 but man this game really broke me. It was a classic Jet loss. We dominated the first half. Stout defense, sacks, pass deflections, blocked punt. Everything was looking up. Then Mayfield came in and I knew we were gonna lose. I told myself that the drive before half was a fluke. We're playing a soft 2 minute defense thats why he looks good. After his first drive in the second half I knew in my heart we werent going to win this game. I didnt want to believe it but i just knew. 14-6 as theyre driving I had zero faith that we were going to get a key stop or a turnover. 4th and 4 and Im screaming at my television for them to go for it because I knew there was no way we were stopping them. Down 21-17 I told my  brother and girlfriend "The games over, Darnolds gonna throw a pick to end it". He threw two. This game made me realize that nothing has changed. Different coaches, different GMs, it doesnt matter. How many games have you watched under Rex where we dominate the first half then fall apart in the second half? The fact that I was able to call every failure this team had last night well before it happened is disturbing. I am usually very optimistic and I was actually a fan of Bowles for a while but this game broke me. We need a coach who wants to win games not a coach who tries not to lose games. This conservative bullsh*t is for losers. Sorry for the rant. Had to get it off my chest.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, House Jet said:

I know I'm overreacting and I know its only week 3 but man this game really broke me. It was a classic Jet loss. We dominated the first half. Stout defense, sacks, pass deflections, blocked punt. Everything was looking up. Then Mayfield came in and I knew we were gonna lose. I told myself that the drive before half was a fluke. We're playing a soft 2 minute defense thats why he looks good. After his first drive in the second half I knew in my heart we werent going to win this game. I didnt want to believe it but i just knew. 14-6 as theyre driving I had zero faith that we were going to get a key stop or a turnover. 4th and 4 and Im screaming at my television for them to go for it because I knew there was no way we were stopping them. Down 21-17 I told my  brother and girlfriend "The games over, Darnolds gonna throw a pick to end it". He threw two. This game made me realize that nothing has changed. Different coaches, different GMs, it doesnt matter. How many games have you watched under Rex where we dominate the first half then fall apart in the second half? The fact that I was able to call every failure this team had last night well before it happened is disturbing. I am usually very optimistic and I was actually a fan of Bowles for a while but this game broke me. We need a coach who wants to win games not a coach who tries not to lose games. This conservative bullsh*t is for losers. Sorry for the rant. Had to get it off my chest.

feel for ya buddy...     i been broken many times...   but this was pretty bad....

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam as last hear.  We knocked cutler out and moore came in and car ed us up.  Its pathetic.  Last night was one of the worst loses we have had in years.  It was an utter embarassment.

mclown can show you the way to blow a double didgit lead away ( week 7 2017)

4 minutes ago, House Jet said:

That's the part that befuddles me and is the most frustrating and sickening.

7 minutes ago, House Jet said:

My thoughts exactly.   Although  I am not a broken man today I felt the same way going into the 2nd half. Even if the a Jets had won I was still angry. It was the most draining game i have watched in some time. Now  I have to fly to Jacksonville and watch us get destroyed. Don’t care I am going to have fun no matter what. 

I must agree with all of you. I feel more emotionally drained today than I can ever remember after a Jets loss. This game was also probably the tipping point for me as far as Bowles is concerned. The blatant lack of discipline, the extreme conservatism, the lack of adjustments to put pressure on Mayfield--I don't see this team becoming a winner with him as head coach.

6 minutes ago, slowmoe57 said:

My thoughts exactly.   Although  I am not a broken man today I felt the same way going into the 2nd half. Even if the a Jets had won I was still angry. It was the most draining game i have watched in some time. Now  I have to fly to Jacksonville and watch us get destroyed. Don’t care I am going to have fun no matter what. 

I knew when the Jets failed to score a TD and had to settle for a FG that this game was over. Jets D only looks good for a short time. When it comes to crunch time they wilt like a hot house flower. Run game was stuffed all night long until last drive when Hyde gashed them time and time again. It is a sign of a poorly coached team that consistently wastes opportunities. Bilal Powell was running like a mad man averaging 6.8 yards a carry and yet Crowell was in there down at the 11 yard line. Powell is faster and when he gets near the goal line he is a mad man and will dive in from the four where Crowell was stopped.

24 minutes ago, House Jet said:

I hear ya. When mayfield came in your just felt the world rooting for the browns and something was Gona happen. Jets never deal with adversity well and never ever know how to finish.

we lost to a team that has one won game in 2 years.... 

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I must agree with all of you. I feel more emotionally drained today than I can ever remember after a Jets loss. This game was also probably the tipping point for me as far as Bowles was concerned.

I lost all respect for Bowles during the Denver game last year when he quit with over a minute and a half left in the second period and took a knee. I don't feel drained at all by the loss. I expected it when they settled for a FG. I knew this defense was not stout enough to hold on. How would Khalil Mack have looked in Green and White? We'll never know because Mac doesn't have the balls to make a big move. Mack would have changed this defense in so many ways and the Jets would be players in the league. No guts no glory and that is the story of the NY Jets.

LOL A rookie QB playing his third game in eleven days, leading an almost identical team that won a handful of games last year. This team is terrible. It was always going to be terrible. The only hope is that Darnold takes his lumps, learns from them and stays healthy enough to lead a hopefully improved team next year. 

It’s revisionist history to pretend that Manning and Rodgers’ rookie interceptions weren’t terrible decisions but just bad luck. Darnold is playing in juat his fourth season of football as a QB. He still has all the traits that made him a top pick and helped him perform week 1. People need to relax and moderate their expectations.     

1 minute ago, russelljones said:

Broken? C'mon.  This isn't even a top 10 Jets loss.  But it did convince me that Bowles is not the right guy for the job.  

This loss was awful, a season killer, and absolutely one of the worst losses for the Jets in the last 10 years. I'm done rooting for the Jets so long as Todd Bowles is the head coach. In fact, I will be rooting for as many losses as it takes to guarantee that his tenure of employment here comes to an end by the end of the year.

Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before you can get better.  

10 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I must agree with all of you. I feel more emotionally drained today than I can ever remember after a Jets loss. This game was also probably the tipping point for me as far as Bowles is concerned. The blatant lack of discipline, the extreme conservatism, the lack of adjustments to put pressure on Mayfield--I don't see this team becoming a winner with him as head coach.

i dont remember the last time i was this drained. im just getting over it now. 

prob the last time i was this upset was week 17 in buf, but this was eerily similar to tebow in denver on a thursday night years ago. 

whats worse, im going to jax next weekend. that is the last thing i want to do right now...fly down the eastern seaboard to watch that clown coach us to a 31-10 loss.

i was actually going through what i thought were some of the worst regular season jets losses to see where it stacked up - finalists over the last 10 years for me:

-this game

-2015 wk 17 vs buffalo

-2015 week 7 @ NE (brandon marshall drop game)

-2012 week 7 @ NE (stephen hill drop game)

-2011 week 11 @ Den (thursday night, height of tebow mania)

blowout games don't bother me the same way...all of the above felt like gut punches

37 minutes ago, House Jet said:

Hard to disagree with you, or feel differently as a fan. I remember that in 1995 we had the distinction of being the Panther's first win ever. We break other team's losing streaks, we find new and more inventive way of losing games. Unfortunately our misery has always started from the top down. When you have a coach who doesn't REALLY come down on those who are late for practices. Bench players for STUPID penalties and so on, you can't win. In addition, our current GM has neglected our lines to the point of madness. PS. The Johnsons make me miss Leon Hess. I never thought that it could happen. 

I'm super pissed and disappointed about this loss and the last two games in general, but I'm still super excited to see Darnold develop this year and learn from his (and the team's mistakes) which is what this season is really about more than wins and losses.  As aggravated as I am, I refuse to let a few SOJ losses stifle my enthusiasm for finally getting to root for a franchise QB.  Taking some lumps this year was always part of the deal.  An added bonus of a few more SOJ losses in 2018 will be the firing of Bowles and probably Mac too so there's also that to look forward to. 

This game loss was harder than most and I think I know why (at least for me): 1) the media kissing the Browns ass before the game like they are SB contenders made me want a win more than most weeks; 2) the appearance that Darnold was being held back by not calling downfield plays and rarely throwing on first down; 3) knowing that once the game was 14-0 we should have salted it away and silenced all of the those media Brown ass kissers; 4) watching our O-line fail to block and commit seemingly countless procedure penalties at the worst of possible times. and 5) watching the D morph from an attacking, blitzing man look that they did so well into a soft zone coverage that they were unable to play effectively knowing full well that the coaches see what I am seeing and were doing nothing about it.

I felt helpless after being desperate for win and then watching the Jets let it slip thorough their fingers because they apparently thought the game was over at halftime.

PS. My highlight of the night goes to Spencer Long on the first two quick bubble screens (or whatever they were) to Q. He can screaming into the play and laid out a DB. It was a thing of beauty. He is the only keeper on the O-line.

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm super pissed and disappointed about this loss and the last two games in general, but I'm still super excited to see Darnold develop this year and learn from his (and the team's mistakes) which is what this season is really about more than wins and losses.  As aggravated as I am, I refuse to let a few SOJ losses stifle my enthusiasm for finally getting to root for a franchise QB.  Taking some lumps this year was always part of the deal.  An added bonus of a few more SOJ losses in 2018 will be the firing of Bowles and probably Mac too so there's also that to look forward to. 

I am actually very concerned about Darnold. Of course he is a developing QB and these games are to be expected. It isn't as much his decision making which worries me, it was the vast majority of his throws. If throwing off of his back foot which is causing weak, slow and wobbly throws, then is he starting to develop hard to break bad habits? 

Did anyone watch the game? He couldn’t step into half his throws because our center or guard were practically in his lap. Yes, the interception was a stupid mistake, he double clutches bc Long was basically sitting on him. Half his incompletions he purposely threw out of bounds or at the ground, receivers weren’t getting separation. And when they did, the fumbled. Womp. Womp.  This isn’t to say he was good, he wasn’t. But the childish reactionary posts that go from fellatting the kid to already think he’s a bust in the making, over the course of literally, not figuratively, but literally eleven days is crazy. Even for us. Just realize this season is about and always has been about getting Sam his lumps, keeping him healthy and figuring out of there's any players or coaches worth saving. 

17 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm pretty surprised by the number of people devastated by last night's loss. I don't think this is in the top 25 most horrible Jets losses for me. How can you be THAT shaken by a loss in a season with no expectations?

It's not that they lost, its how... stupid penalties, Soft Defense with Mayfield , and conservative offense.  They had that game in hand and lost in such a 'Jetsy' fashion that it shows it doesn't matter who is on the field the culture hasn't changed.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

It's not that they lost, its how... stupid penalties, Soft Defense with Mayfield , and conservative offense.  They had that game in hand and lost in such a 'Jetsy' fashion that it shows it doesn't matter who is on the field the culture hasn't changed.

Maybe I'm just getting older but I saw that coming and was at peace with it by morning.

I haven't truly been devastated by a Jets loss since 2011 because I haven't had high expectations for a team since then.

58 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Did anyone watch the game? He couldn’t step into half his throws because our center or guard were practically in his lap. Yes, the interception was a stupid mistake, he double clutches bc Long was basically sitting on him. Half his incompletions he purposely threw out of bounds or at the ground, receivers weren’t getting separation. And when they did, the fumbled. Womp. Womp.  This isn’t to say he was good, he wasn’t. But the childish reactionary posts that go from fellatting the kid to already think he’s a bust in the making, over the course of literally, not figuratively, but literally eleven days is crazy. Even for us. Just realize this season is about and always has been about getting Sam his lumps, keeping him healthy and figuring out of there's any players or coaches worth saving. 

The line stunk and the playcalling stunk. Darnold's arm and his mechanics when throwing to his left however are alarming(and he had these issues at USC) There was zero zip on his (few) downfield passes last night. Something to monitor. 

2 hours ago, House Jet said:

I've been a Jets fan since 1968, this game barely gets an honorary mention in the litany of games that have broken my heart.

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I've been a Jets fan since 1968, this game barely gets an honorary mention in the litany of games that have broken my heart.

I'm in the same timeline as you. I've forgotten worse stuff over the last 50 years than last night. These young pups don't know what true pain is.?

Archived