This Game Broke Me

House Jet

Let's face it, the reason this game was like a roundhouse punch to the face was because we've spent the past five months getting worked up about Darnold and then, all of a sudden last night, he had a nightmare game that reminded us all of the ghosts of Jets QBs past. It was like our dream of a new beginning was shattered into tiny shards of misery. Don't deny it. And to make matters worse, he got whooped by the guy who got picked ahead of him, and whom many (not me) ridiculed the Browns for picking ahead of Darnold. It's not the comeback loss, or the coaching, or whatever. That's the reason.

The road to recovery, my friends, is accepting reality. Darnold still is the same talented guy we were thrilled about, but his road is going to be rocky since he's still very green as a QB. Patience.

In the meantime ...

200.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Darnold's arm and his mechanics when throwing to his left however are alarming(and he had these issues at USC) There was zero zip on his (few) downfield passes last night. Something to monitor. 

Seriously, get a grip. His arm and mechanics are fine. He just tried to force it too much to make plays, which is what rookies do sometimes when the team is losing, time is running out, etc.

3 hours ago, House Jet said:

I know I'm overreacting and I know its only week 3 but man this game really broke me. It was a classic Jet loss. We dominated the first half. Stout defense, sacks, pass deflections, blocked punt. Everything was looking up. Then Mayfield came in and I knew we were gonna lose. I told myself that the drive before half was a fluke. We're playing a soft 2 minute defense thats why he looks good. After his first drive in the second half I knew in my heart we werent going to win this game. I didnt want to believe it but i just knew. 14-6 as theyre driving I had zero faith that we were going to get a key stop or a turnover. 4th and 4 and Im screaming at my television for them to go for it because I knew there was no way we were stopping them. Down 21-17 I told my  brother and girlfriend "The games over, Darnolds gonna throw a pick to end it". He threw two. This game made me realize that nothing has changed. Different coaches, different GMs, it doesnt matter. How many games have you watched under Rex where we dominate the first half then fall apart in the second half? The fact that I was able to call every failure this team had last night well before it happened is disturbing. I am usually very optimistic and I was actually a fan of Bowles for a while but this game broke me. We need a coach who wants to win games not a coach who tries not to lose games. This conservative bullsh*t is for losers. Sorry for the rant. Had to get it off my chest.

couldn't agree more.  This felt like rock ******* bottom to me.

Thanksgiving Day, November 22, 2012.

That day broke me and the banter for the following 6 months. But I got over it. 

Yesterday, felt normal to me nothing out of this world. 

Blowing a lead 

Penalties 

Sloppy plays 

Terrible O-Line

Dropped Balls 

Interceptions

Now, if another Butt-Fumble would have happened. Well then.... I would have lost it .

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm pretty surprised by the number of people devastated by last night's loss. I don't think this is in the top 25 most horrible Jets losses for me. How can you be THAT shaken by a loss in a season with no expectations?

1.  Lions game gave us hope

2.  Beers.  Beers all over Cleveland.  and because our jets were THAT team.

3.  Baker Mayfield.  Seems like everyone, even the media were all ga ga about Sam.  then last night had to happen.  Now it's "Browns made the right decision", etc.

4.  Add to that the fact that Sam did not have a good game.  yes our o-line is bad.  yes Quincy wouldn't even be on the giants practice squad with their receiving corp, and he's our #1.  I get all that.  but still, he wasn't very good.  we want to see progression, and I did not see it last night.

Of all these, 1-3 sting, but to me personally, #4 was the killer.  If Sam had 0 TDs and 0 Ints, but passed for 250 yards and played average, and all other stats in game stayed same, I wouldn't be as devastated today.

1 hour ago, Cyberjet said:

I think Darnold hurt his ankle early on with a sack. He suffered a left high ankle sprain and was having a tough time stepping into his passes. Leads to inaccuracies and overthrows. just my thoughts.

I think he actually hurt it last week and aggravated it tonight. He was visibly limping in both games. In Detroit, his feet were dynamic, and he moved with a quickness that I haven't really seen since late in last weeks game.

The reason this loss hurt, at least for me, is the fact that the Cleveland Browns are a better football team. From top to bottom, their roster is more talented than ours, and it isn't even close. If I could only fire one at the end of the season, it would be Mac. I'm not sure I want him handling another draft, and all that cap money.

What Crowell did, was a low point for me as a fan. 

Stoic. Tough guy. You.
Seriously, go find another forum.

I might actually, thanks. If every time we lose, I got wad through this trash. Gimme a brake. “This game broke me”

Cmooooooon brah. We got beat by a better team and our coaching staff is being their unusual inept selves... and that broke ppl??

Tough guy? No. Realist who’s looking at forum of cry babies, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I might actually, thanks. If every time we lose, I got wad through this trash. Gimme a brake. “This game broke me”

Cmooooooon brah. We got beat by a better team and our coaching staff is being their unusual inept selves... and that broke ppl??

You must enjoy it, though. Not sure what you thought the posts would be like following a game like last night.

This loss itself didnt bother me at all. It was Darnolds play and then watching Mayfield in comparision that was upsetting. 

Darnold looked like a joke last night. Makes me seriously wonder if hes even as good as Mark Sanchez because he looked like Bryce Petty to me last night. 

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

you should hang at Goonersworld. whineging ****ersall. Arsenal actually are a pretty good team...  they almost rose into the abolutye top niche of woprld futbol and their fans just cant hack it that they are a B to B + side...   as oppposed to an actual loser-ass mockery of a franchise like this one. 

I am callin out the sunshine crew out who were all over me for questioning, "new jack city" brian "sackagame" winters and darron lee...   

3 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

This loss itself didnt bother me at all. It was Darnolds play and then watching Mayfield in comparision that was upsetting. 

Darnold looked like a joke last night. Makes me seriously wonder if hes even as good as Mark Sanchez because he looked like Bryce Petty to me last night. 

so we obviously have a anti-sam troll who may or may not be a rival fan..  mods?

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Let's face it, the reason this game was like a roundhouse punch to the face was because we've spent the past five months getting worked up about Darnold and then, all of a sudden last night, he had a nightmare game that reminded us all of the ghosts of Jets QBs past. It was like our dream of a new beginning was shattered into tiny shards of misery. Don't deny it. And to make matters worse, he got whooped by the guy who got picked ahead of him, and whom many (not me) ridiculed the Browns for picking ahead of Darnold. It's not the comeback loss, or the coaching, or whatever. That's the reason.

The road to recovery, my friends, is accepting reality. Darnold still is the same talented guy we were thrilled about, but his road is going to be rocky since he's still very green as a QB. Patience.

In the meantime ...

200.gif

Well said. This tapped into everything I was irritated about this whole thing. And, as my (giants fan) coworker so nicely texted me...does that mean you're the browns now? :curse:

I have been a Jets fan my whole life.  40 years. 

But I have made an adjustment to how I watch games.  I will not let this team crush my soul any more.   At least until they prove they are good enough to compete for a Super Bowl.

Not worth it. 

Just watch to see Sam improve.   That's it.  Winning and losing is irrelevant.  Best thing you can do.

2 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

You realize Mayfield wasn't available to us when we picked?   This isn't like Dan Marino.  Sam is going to be fine anyway.  He's still a very young rookie and has played well 2 of the 3 games he started.  Last night the Jets were overwhelmed by the Cleveland defense.  I think by the end of the year this loss will look like nothing because Cleveland is going to really surprise people.  If Baker started all 3 games, the Browns would probably be 3-0 so far.  Call me crazy but I think they're going to win their division.

6 hours ago, House Jet said:

I know I'm overreacting and I know its only week 3 but man this game really broke me. It was a classic Jet loss. We dominated the first half. Stout defense, sacks, pass deflections, blocked punt. Everything was looking up. Then Mayfield came in and I knew we were gonna lose. I told myself that the drive before half was a fluke. We're playing a soft 2 minute defense thats why he looks good. After his first drive in the second half I knew in my heart we werent going to win this game. I didnt want to believe it but i just knew. 14-6 as theyre driving I had zero faith that we were going to get a key stop or a turnover. 4th and 4 and Im screaming at my television for them to go for it because I knew there was no way we were stopping them. Down 21-17 I told my  brother and girlfriend "The games over, Darnolds gonna throw a pick to end it". He threw two. This game made me realize that nothing has changed. Different coaches, different GMs, it doesnt matter. How many games have you watched under Rex where we dominate the first half then fall apart in the second half? The fact that I was able to call every failure this team had last night well before it happened is disturbing. I am usually very optimistic and I was actually a fan of Bowles for a while but this game broke me. We need a coach who wants to win games not a coach who tries not to lose games. This conservative bullsh*t is for losers. Sorry for the rant. Had to get it off my chest.

There is a reason "Same Old Jets" is such a pervasive phrase.

I've never heard anyone say "Same old Redskins" or "Same old Bills" or "Same old Browns".

Some team suck, some for a long time.

None, NONE, do it with the level of pain inflicted upon Jets Fans.

Just good enough to tempt one to believe despite all history and odds, that this moment will be different.....just sh*t enough to constantly crush those dreams in the most perverse ways.

That's being a Jets Fan.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

There is a reason "Same Old Jets" is such a pervasive phrase.

I've never heard anyone say "Same old Redskins" or "Same old Bills" or "Same old Browns".

Some team suck, some for a long time.

None, NONE, do it with the level of pain inflicted upon Jets Fans.

Just good enough to tempt one to believe despite all history and odds, that this moment will be different.....just sh*t enough to constantly crush those dreams in the most perverse ways.

That's being a Jets Fan.

Its like watching the Lion King musical. The cast is always changing but story stays the same. 

6 hours ago, russelljones said:

Broken? C'mon.  This isn't even a top 10 Jets loss.  But it did convince me that Bowles is not the right guy for the job.  

He must be a relatively new fan if this game broke him.  Last night's game barely even registered as a bad loss to me.  The Browns are going to be good this year. I predict that, by midseason, last night's loss will be nothing but a footnote. If you want an example of a "this game broke me" type loss, think back to the Gastineau roughing-the-passer game in the 1986 AFC divisional round game (coincidentally also against the Browns).

This is Darnold's rookie season and he's a very young starter.  This season is about getting him some experience.  Next offseason we have ~$100M to spend.  That's when we'll start making progress.

I'm still more optimistic about the Jets' future than I've ever been.  

4 hours ago, section314 said:

I'm in the same timeline as you. I've forgotten worse stuff over the last 50 years than last night. These young pups don't know what true pain is.?

Ditto. I've been going through this since '65. It never gets easier though. Yet I keep coming back for more.

Archived