Jump to content

Peyton Manning had a game exactly like the one Darnold had, exactly 20 years ago


BroadwayRay
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know the red alerts are going full blast at JetNation right now, and I'm feeling down as well, but to inject a little sense of reality here: I can go look up the records of a lot of present-day star QBs, and find games in their rookie year that were worst than the one Darnold had last night.

Really. So to prove my point, I decided to go check out Peyton Manning's rookie games ... (strike up some Jeopardy music)

...

...

Check it out! Against the NY Jets, no less, and it was his third game -- on the same friggin date:

Sept. 20, 1998

20/44 45.5% 193 yards 0 TD 2 INT 39.3 QBR

Darnold yesterday:

15/31 48.4% 169 yards 0TD 2 INT 38.2 QBR

 

Darnold didn't suddenly lose his skills and talents last night. I don't even think he lost confidence. He just had a dreadful evening, along with the rest of the players and the coaches. He will bounce back.

 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I understand players will have bad games, I just haven’t seen many encouraging signs over the first 3 weeks.  And doubt much growth will occur with this coaching staff.  

It's not about a player having a bad day. It's about a 21-year-old learning how to be a QB in the NFL. The ride is really bumpy. Manning was a year older than Darnold when he had his bad day 20 years ago. He threw 28 interceptions that year. And I disagree with you about the encouraging signs ... Darnold had a good first game, and an OK second game that would have been better if his receivers had cooperated by catching the ball and running proper routes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I said didn’t see many, not any.  And no, not more than a few.  More qbs bust than not.  I wouldn’t bet any money on Sam being a success at this point.

You’re either pulling our chain or you don’t know what to look for. In the first three week Darnold has

- thrown to recievers with great anticipation 

- thrown with accuracy 

- made incredible throws on the move 

- bounced back from mistakes

- gone through multiple progressions

- looked like best player on the field 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

You didn't see an encouraging signs from the first 2 games for a 21 yo rookie? Really?

Exactly. First of all, he didn’t have much time to analyze his peformances and practice much, then had to face some tough defenses. With that said, last night he had an ugly game with some huge mistakes— not until he was put in the position to carry the team while the passing game sucked all night— but the first two were promising. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

It's not about a player having a bad day. It's about a 21-year-old learning how to be a QB in the NFL. The ride is really bumpy. Manning was a year older than Darnold when he had his bad day 20 years ago. He threw 28 interceptions that year. And I disagree with you about the encouraging signs ... Darnold had a good first game, and an OK second game that would have been better if his receivers had cooperated by catching the ball and running proper routes.

Its cool, we can disagree.  And yes, manning had a bad first year with numerous bad games, but so did mark sanchez.  Some players get better, some don’t.  I wouldn’t bet any of my money either way.  He still has a long way to go and more players don’t make it than do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You’re either pulling our chain or you don’t know what to look for. In the first three week Darnold has

- thrown to recievers with great anticipation 

- thrown with accuracy 

- made incredible throws on the move 

- bounced back from mistakes

- gone through multiple progressions

 

 

I watched the first two games a few times.  He didn’t look all that good.  Hopefully things get better from here, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In no way am I making excuses for the kid but the 3 games in 11 days including two Prime Time games was just a tough ask and I think last night we saw the results of that.  The defense looked gassed and that is honestly understanable to me considering how often they were on the field.  Sam on the otherhand really just looked a little in over his head last night.  I know it's JAX but the Jets need to come out and play well next week.  Take this weekend to rest and get healthy and come back prepared.  I also this young team is in desperate need of some consistency, give me a few Sunday games in a row to get them on a regular routine.  Clev. has a very good defense and an experienced D-Coordinator who everyone knew was going to give Darnold a tough time.  It was the perfect storm really.  The coaching staff however, I'm losing faith in every game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I know the red alerts are going full blast at JetNation right now, and I'm feeling down as well, but to inject a little sense of reality here: I can go look up the records of a lot of present-day star QBs, and find games in their rookie year that were worst than the one Darnold had last night.

Really. So to prove my point, I decided to go check out Peyton Manning's rookie games ... (strike up some Jeopardy music)

...

...

Check it out! Against the NY Jets, no less, and it was his third game -- on the same friggin date:

Sept. 20, 1998

20/44 45.5% 193 yards 0 TD 2 INT 39.3 QBR

Darnold yesterday:

15/31 48.4% 169 yards 0TD 2 INT 38.2 QBR

 

Darnold didn't suddenly lose his skills and talents last night. I don't even think he lost confidence. He just had a dreadful evening, along with the rest of the players and the coaches. He will bounce back.

 

 

Not darnold fault at all. Kid is only 21! Baker mayfield is like 27 already lol. He just needs a little help, last night he got ZERO help. From players or his coaches. Glad McCown immediately got in his ear at the end to keep his confidence up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Matt Stafford threw 5 picks vs the sh*tty Jets on opening day and people are sh*tting on the youngest QB to ever start week 1 in NFL history because he has a bad game vs a team who made future HOF’ers Brees and Big Ben look like sh*t on a short week, on the road vs a better team on Thurs night.

holy sh*t haha 

You just knew there would be this reaction though.  Especially since Baker came in and looked effective.  They were never winning this game, but the way they lost has made some people around here delusional.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

It's not about a player having a bad day. It's about a 21-year-old learning how to be a QB in the NFL. The ride is really bumpy. Manning was a year older than Darnold when he had his bad day 20 years ago. He threw 28 interceptions that year. And I disagree with you about the encouraging signs ... Darnold had a good first game, and an OK second game that would have been better if his receivers had cooperated by catching the ball and running proper routes.

Manning also had a father to lean on, started close to 40 games in college, had a HOF running back (Marshal Faulk) and a HOF WR already on the team.

Darnold has.... a really good backup who encourages him.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Matt Stafford threw 5 picks vs the sh*tty Jets on opening day and people are sh*tting on the youngest QB to ever start week 1 in NFL history because he has a bad game vs a team who made future HOF’ers Brees and Big Ben look like sh*t on a short week, on the road vs a better team on Thurs night.

holy sh*t haha 

It's no different than the board sucking each other off after having a decent game against a sh*tty unprepared Detroit team coached by a bearded walrus

The board is the collective Id of jets fandom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Matt Stafford threw 5 picks vs the sh*tty Jets on opening day and people are sh*tting on the youngest QB to ever start week 1 in NFL history because he has a bad game vs a team who made future HOF’ers Brees and Big Ben look like sh*t on a short week, on the road vs a better team on Thurs night.

holy sh*t haha 

It’s still the kid’s fourth year playing the quarterback position. It was his third game in eleven days, on the road, against a pretty solid defense and a savage coordinator. I’m not surprised by the JN outrage, but this is silly, even by our standards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know how people weren’t encouraged and impressed with Weeks 1 & 2. He looked great for a rookie in both.

Last night he looked like a rookie who the team was scared to send out there against a good aggressive D, on a short week, their 3rd game (2nd road) in 11 days.

Bowles wanted to run the ball, protect Darnold, and have his D win the game. Except his D ran out of gas and Robbie Anderson fumbled near their own goal line.

We’re an under .500 with the players and coaches we have, and lost to a better team on their home field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I said didn’t see many, not any.  And no, not more than a few.  More qbs bust than not.  I wouldn’t bet any money on Sam being a success at this point.

My God, he had a really bad game. Nobody would argue that. He's  a rookie playing on a short week.

Take a step back from the ledge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, More Cowbell said:

My God, he had a really bad game. Nobody would argue that. He's  a rookie playing on a short week.

Take a step back from the ledge

The ledge?  I’m not freaking out about it.  I have no control over it.  I haven’t gotten worked up over a jets game in years.  In all honesty, I could only laugh after the game.  That doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion about a player.  I just don’t think he has looked that good, and realize that more qbs bust than succeed.  I am hoping for the best, but I wouldn’t bet on it happening.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I know the red alerts are going full blast at JetNation right now, and I'm feeling down as well, but to inject a little sense of reality here: I can go look up the records of a lot of present-day star QBs, and find games in their rookie year that were worst than the one Darnold had last night.

Really. So to prove my point, I decided to go check out Peyton Manning's rookie games ... (strike up some Jeopardy music)

...

...

Check it out! Against the NY Jets, no less, and it was his third game -- on the same friggin date:

Sept. 20, 1998

20/44 45.5% 193 yards 0 TD 2 INT 39.3 QBR

Darnold yesterday:

15/31 48.4% 169 yards 0TD 2 INT 38.2 QBR

 

Darnold didn't suddenly lose his skills and talents last night. I don't even think he lost confidence. He just had a dreadful evening, along with the rest of the players and the coaches. He will bounce back.

 

 

Not true. Manning diudnt lose the game because of coaching staff not wanting to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Then you are never going to be encouraged.  Except for the first throw, Darnold played exceptionally  well. 

There is nothing wrong with disagreement.  

Either way, If I was a Browns fan, Id be encouraged by Mayfields play yesterday.  I haven’t seen anything like that from Darnold.  Then again, I didn’t get a strong feeling about him after watching his college games either.  More bleh than anything.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yeah and remember what they showed about Aikman? 

He’s fine.  People are stupid.

 

This is just the beginning. 

As Mayfield gets more starts, and Allen, Rosen and Lamar Jackson have the occasional good game.. this place is going to go full emo melt for every, single one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think any intelligent  fan is too concerned with Sam after last night. My main concern is the coaching staff has once again proven how bad they really are and their failures will almost certainly hinder Sams development. Mac+Bowles+Rogers+Bates all need to go.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...