Bowles, or Bates, or both?

Lupz27

Who do you think is to blame for the horrendous offensive game plan?  Now I know Bates calls the plays, and his play calling was real bad.  On that do you think he was under strict orders to play a pussy conservative don’t let Darnold do a god damn thing game plan?  Or do you think this is what Bates really thought was right for where Darnold is vs a talented G Williams exotic Defense?

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Who do you think is to blame for the horrendous offensive game plan?  Now I know Bates calls the plays, and his play calling was real bad.  On that do you think he was under strict orders to play a pussy conservative don’t let Darnold do a god damn thing game plan?  Or do you think this is what Bates really thought was right for where Darnold is vs a talented G Williams exotic Defense?

I am pretty sure everyone at JN has made their opinion clear on the matter over the last 20 hours.

I think Bowles told him the type of game plan that he wanted.

I actually don't disagree with him, at least for the first half.  They needed to progress it a bit in the second half.  If the Browns were stopping the run that well that meant that some short passes should have been open.

This game was lost from the defensive and offensive penalties combined with the defensive game plan in the second half.  

57 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I actually like what Bates is trying to do. I like his scheme. But with the personnel he has and a pussy HC I think he’s in a tough spot. I think he’ll get better as w Darnold but this offensive roster sucks

Think of 6 playmakers Mac could have drafted in place of Williams, Adams, Lee, Hack, Devin Smith and Maye. All 1st and 2nd round picks that have not exactly lit the world on fire. Add to that, having to squander 3 2nd rounders to move up to the 3 spot because he HAD to sign McClown since Hack was such a waste. That’s 9 picks. NINE top picks. Damn near an entire offense. Not even mentioning the bust FA’s he’s signed and the failed 4th through 6th rounders he’s wiffed on. It’s just sickening. 

This one is easy, mccagnan.  No oline, no impact WRs, lousy TE, meh backs.

The oc will always take the blame though. 

Right now our talent level on offense is awful and has been for a few years.  Both gailey and morton were miracle workers to get anything out of the qbs and what they had to work with.  Their thanks?  Fired by Bowles. 

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This one is easy, mccagnan.  No oline, no impact WRs, lousy TE, meh backs.

The oc will always take the blame though. 

Right now our talent level on offense is awful and has been for a few years.  Both gailey and morton were miracle workers to get anything out of the qbs and what they had to work with.  Their thanks?  Fired by Bowles. 

Fitz says Hi.

17 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

100% Todd Bowles. He fired Morton because he took too many shots down field, like quick touchdowns are bad? Bowles complained he passed too much on “ running downs “ ?? Bowles even had a talk with Morton about this but Morton didn’t follow Bowles’s orders. Who would ?

Bowles said he wanted to be more involved this yr with the O. We all know that meant more running, short conservative passing. Bates sure doesn’t want to be canned like Morton for ignoring what Bowles wants. 

So as HC you are accountable for all phases of the game regardless of if it's your specialty, which by no means exonerates bates for his sh*tty game plan as the OC. This was always one, of many, of Rex's problems too. Bowles may not know the intricate details, but he sets the agenda during the week and on game day. A HC has to be able to see that what the OC or DC is feeling isn't working and provide less than gentile advice in real time at least. I thought the game plan was poor, I would imagine both were part of it, though I'll assume bates was more so as the OC. To start the game they weren't doing much to slow down the rush. It seemed like most of the passes were to the outside. I'm pretty sure we drafted a big athletic TE send him down the seem for easier throws that draws attention to the middle of the field and slow down the pass rush instead out splitting him wide. Run the ball down their throats and wear out their speedy ends. Keep a TE or an extra OT in and double up myles every play. The browns have talent. How could they not at this point, but they still had not won in two years prior to the Jets who always provide teams with those trend breaker games.  

When the axe swings I'd prefer there be no remnants on the coaching side.

Both but mostly Bowels since he hired an unknown OC who's focus would be to run the ball more in a league gone pass crazy.  Plus with this train wreck OL anyone with a brain cell knew running the ball would be a struggle.  Plus they are going to David Carr our potential franchise QB with their feeble pass protection.

Blame Mac for not building an NFL roster (ignoring the OL was criminal) and trading Teddy for peanuts

Blame Bowles for setting up a rookie QB to fail (3 games in 10 days, wimpy pame plan with crappy OL) 

Blame Kacy as the worst DC in football since his "friendship" with Todd keeps him employed and demotivates everyone on the defense 

I would make Bates the interim HC and see what happens 

Bowles, and there shouldnt even be a discussion about it.  IMO.  The Head Coach is the one who dictates how he wants the Coordinator to call the game, and at the very least tell him which direction to take the play calling in game.  

Does anyone here actually think Bowles isnt telling him to be conservative?

On 9/22/2018 at 1:42 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

100% Todd Bowles. He fired Morton because he took too many shots down field, like quick touchdowns are bad? Bowles complained he passed too much on “ running downs “ ?? Bowles even had a talk with Morton about this but Morton didn’t follow Bowles’s orders. Who would ?

Bowles said he wanted to be more involved this yr with the O. We all know that meant more running, short conservative passing. Bates sure doesn’t want to be canned like Morton for ignoring what Bowles wants.

it's going to be fascinating to see if woody's brother goes the intern HC route mid season or waits until black monday.. because at some point this season, if not already he going to realizes he simply must get his shiny new toy away from bowles before he breaks it..

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Blame Mac for not building an NFL roster (ignoring the OL was criminal) and trading Teddy for peanuts

Blame Bowles for setting up a rookie QB to fail (3 games in 10 days, wimpy pame plan with crappy OL) 

Blame Kacy as the worst DC in football since his "friendship" with Todd keeps him employed and demotivates everyone on the defense 

I would make Bates the interim HC and see what happens 

The bridge water trade wasn’t for peanuts.  It was fair value. But I agree not working on the oline was bad

I am going to go against the grain here and say I think the game plan going into the game was flawless, our defense came out looking sharp, young and fresh. Our offense was designed to keep the stress of a highly talented pass rush off of our rookie qb and put it in the hands of our veteran runners. The plan was not flashy but it was very logical and highly effective until our defense played too hard and knocked tyrod out of the game. We did not adjust and that is why we lost but the game plan going into the game was solid

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

The Bridgewater trade wasn’t for peanuts.  It was fair value. But I agree not working on the oline was bad

Maybe, but I would prefer to have Teddy on the team, he would have had some playing time under Bowles and maybe taken some of the pressure off Darnold, Sam did great for a rookie but no reason to start his career that way, 3 games in 10 days, he regressed and it's not his fault 

On 9/22/2018 at 1:42 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

Exactly correct. Now let’s quick talking about it and let’s do something about it. Somebody start a fire Bowles site or billboard or newspaper ad or whatever. I will gladly donate. I’ve had enough. 

Archived