Mehta/Scott

Gen X Jet

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I was not comparing darnold to Brady. The other poster stated darnold goes down like a bitch in the pocket. That’s when I responded, Brady who is GOAT does down like a bitch instead of taking a sack. Read the post.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Actually, I said that Darnold played like a bitch once Mayfield came in, not that he goes down like a bitch. It was humiliating as a fan to watch Mayfield come in and inspire the Browns. In contrast, Darnold played like a bitch, scared and ineffective. Sorry, it was humiliating and he needs to way improve for me to get back on that train.

Darnold has the skills: arm, mobility, quick brain. But he needs to show me more than he showed in Cleveland. That was a demoralizing loss that has me questioning his fire.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the pedantic explanation of a WR screen and how 'difficult' it is followed up with a the notion that a WC offense can't be imaginative and not prone to the quarters-long stagnation plaguing the Jets in the last two games.
Newsflash: most offenses are mostly short and intermediate passes.
Anyway I'm not sure what we're arguing here. The offense has been the weak link. I think the other units have played better than last year. The offense, about the same as last year, which, given Darnold's potential is probably ok...for now.
It's a shame, really, that the defensive and special teams improvements are being lost because people have to defend Darnold.

The west coast offense by definition is short, horizontal passing routes. Bill Walsh ran it and won a bunch of Super Bowls. It can be imaginative with receiver placement and which routes work with which plays. Coaches have to make adjustments to achieve success. It’s imperative to get separation off the line of scrimmage more so because of timing and quick routes. That’s where our receivers (except enunwa) are doing poorly.

Most teams do mostly throw short and intermediate, but it is more prevalent in a WC offense. Then you have the falcons, saints and chiefs who are always throwing the ball down the field. They also have playmakers on their offense who run their routes correctly and get separation.

I think we miss a healthy kearse, he’s a pros pro and catches balls thrown his way. He would be a second receiver to count on and then the rest of the guys would call in line. Especially Robbie, who can then go over the top and open up underneath for the other guys.

Actually, I said that Darnold played like a bitch once Mayfield came in, not that he goes down like a bitch. It was humiliating as a fan to watch Mayfield come in and inspire the Browns. In contrast, Darnold played like a bitch, scared and ineffective. Sorry, it was humiliating and he needs to way improve for me to get back on that train.
Darnold has the skills: arm, mobility, quick brain. But he needs to show me more than he showed in Cleveland. That was a demoralizing loss that has me questioning his fire.

Once again, I disagree

He drove the team down the field in the fourth quarter for the game leading field goal. Our defense bitched out and gave up the go ahead touch down.

He also converted a 3rd and long from our own 10 yard line and Robbie fumbled the ball.

Darnold did not play like a bitch or scared, but he was ineffective at times. Questioning his fire, the guy is a gym rat and wants to win as much as any guy on the team. He doesn’t show emotion, but neither does Eli Manning and he has 2 rings.

Do you question Bowles fire? He’s the guy running the operation. Talking about someone who played scared and bitched out, it’s the coach.

13 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

The west coast offense by definition is short, horizontal passing routes. Bill Walsh ran it and won a bunch of Super Bowls. It can be imaginative with receiver placement and which routes work with which plays. Coaches have to make adjustments to achieve success. It’s imperative to get separation off the line of scrimmage more so because of timing and quick routes. That’s where our receivers (except enunwa) are doing poorly. 

Most teams do mostly throw short and intermediate, but it is more prevalent in a WC offense. Then you have the falcons, saints and chiefs who are always throwing the ball down the field. They also have playmakers on their offense who run their routes correctly and get separation.

I think we miss a healthy kearse, he’s a pros pro and catches balls thrown his way. He would be a second receiver to count on and then the rest of the guys would call in line. Especially Robbie, who can then go over the top and open up underneath for the other guys.

This was just as pedantic and uninformative as your last post. Receivers aren't getting separation because they are mostly blocking and the QB is doing 3-step drops. MOreover, they're not getting separation (not that I truly believe that because I haven't seen it) because they aren't taking deep shots and forcing the defense to cover deep. If defenses suspect that you're not going to throw deep, they're not going to cover it and are going to prevent WRs from separating because they aren't going to respect the deep route. Seems obvious, once you stop trying to explain what the West Coast Offense is to someone who has been watching it since it came out more than 30 years ago.

If you're trying to make the 32nd ranked passer's issues the WRs, fine. I certainly don't want to ruin the fantasy for you. But the problems with the Jets offense has to do with two people: Bates and Darnold. period. It seems unlikely that receivers who have made plays in the past, 4 800-yard receviers, are suddenly unable to get off the line. It's an assessment only Darnold Apologist would even think to make.

13 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Once again, I disagree

He drove the team down the field in the fourth quarter for the game leading field goal. Our defense bitched out and gave up the go ahead touch down.

He also converted a 3rd and long from our own 10 yard line and Robbie fumbled the ball.

Darnold did not play like a bitch or scared, but he was ineffective at times. Questioning his fire, the guy is a gym rat and wants to win as much as any guy on the team. He doesn’t show emotion, but neither does Eli Manning and he has 2 rings.

Do you question Bowles fire? He’s the guy running the operation. Talking about someone who played scared and bitched out, it’s the coach.

Then I guess we disagree. I saw two INTs when the game was on the line. I saw, after Mayfield scorched our defense, that we had some pathetic FG response, when it was clear to most people that that TD was needed. Again, the Jets Defense is playing at a high level, as are the Special Teams. The offense is not. Let's stop trying to lay the problems of the offense, which includes the 32nd ranked passer, onto other units. OR describe sh*tty QB play as "ok" and the problems lain at the feet of the rest of the team.

Do you understand what it means to an offense to have the 32nd ranked QB leading it? It means that you're not going to win until that QB starts playing a helluva lot better.

This was just as pedantic and uninformative as your last post. Receivers aren't getting separation because they are mostly blocking and the QB is doing 3-step drops. MOreover, they're not getting separation (not that I truly believe that because I haven't seen it) because they aren't taking deep shots and forcing the defense to cover deep. If defenses suspect that you're not going to throw deep, they're not going to cover it and are going to prevent WRs from separating because they aren't going to respect the deep route. Seems obvious, once you stop trying to explain what the West Coast Offense is to someone who has been watching it since it came out more than 30 years ago.
If you're trying to make the 32nd ranked passer's issues the WRs, fine. I certainly don't want to ruin the fantasy for you. But the problems with the Jets offense has to do with two people: Bates and Darnold. period. It seems unlikely that receivers who have made plays in the past, 4 800-yard receviers, are suddenly unable to get off the line. It's an assessment only Darnold Apologist would even think to make.

Once again, I think you have no idea what you are talking about. We can go back and forth all day, but your statements are merit less and most of your comments are wrong. This is an opinion based site and we can disagree about that as much as we want, but you don’t even know the facts. It was proven when you stated Andy Reid may be a better coach than Todd Bowles.

32 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Once again, I think you have no idea what you are talking about. We can go back and forth all day, but your statements are merit less and most of your comments are wrong. This is an opinion based site and we can disagree about that as much as we want, but you don’t even know the facts. It was proven when you stated Andy Reid may be a better coach than Todd Bowles.

I'm happy to disagree and move on from this discussion with you. Thanks for a spirited discussion and I hope we have to disagree more about who is better, our SB QB or Defense.

23 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

1. Brandon Marshall-1,500 yards, 109 receptions, 14 TD’s- you want to compare that to Pryor, then end the discussion now. Marshall is a borderline hall of gamer. Decker was about 1,000 yards each season- don’t think Herndon and sterling are collectively getting there. although 2 guys doing what 1 guy did is not impressive to say the least.

Brandon Marshall is a borderline hall of gamer?! Do you mean HOFer? Even then, maybe YOUR hall of fame, but I dont' see Canton calling anytime soon. BTW, did he make those stats playing with the 32nd ranked passer that year?

How can you even try to compare a full season to 3 games anyway?

Archived