Ok I rewatched the game... Sam was fine

nico002

He took care of the ball playing with a lead in a tough environment against a legit top 5 D

didnt really leave anything major out there, browns had excellent coverage or would get to the QB quick. 

Then running game and screen game was working well- although we abused it a little resulting in quite a few 3rd and long situations

he made one horrible play- the 1st int with 1:30 left 

6 drives started at the 10 or worse 

the Anderson fumble was a KILLER... Jets had forced a Baker punt, were driving... up 14-3 with 6 left in the third..... browns were prob looking at at least that deficit going into the fourth... instead they get the ball in redzone and score 

1st/2nd down run plays in red zone after browns tied were killer, set us up for a 3rd and long that came up a yard short... similar to the Herndon play vs Miami 

End is the day it’s very hard to get in a rhythm/air it out when your d is dominating (first half) and you can run the ball... really no reason to push it in this one... until it was too late. 

but a in all not a bad job of managing a tough game.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s allowed to have bad games. His first 2 were much better. All 3 games have been impacted by horrible O-line. His game against the Browns was bad but not terrible given how bad his supporting case is.

He would look great if he had time in the pocket at better weapons. That can be said of all quarterbacks which is why Mac f*cked up badly by neglecting the offensive line. 

Bottom line is no matter how you try and twist it, the whole team, Darnold included, gave away a 14 point lead and lost to what we all think is an up and coming team. It's over. We all got to vent, but lets just hope the extra time before the Jaguar game is used to get better in all facets. The idea this year is to develop this QB for the long term. He's going to have bumps in the road along the way, and it's not a sin to say it when he has the inevitable bad game(s) while he learns on the fly.

Small things turn games.  I'm a big darnold supporter but he did not play great.  But the two things that killed us was the series of three STOOPID penalties when we had everything going out way.  And the Anderson fumble.  The guy has to clue how to actually carry the ball.  When you see him with it you are assuming he is going to cough it up if in traffic.

But good thing Todd has assured us that he has noticed we took bad penalties and notices Anderson does not tuck it away and will now have a word with the boys to correct that stuff.

I'm still waiting for one of the press anyone to actually take him to task on some issues when he gives his lame answers in the after game pressers.

Yup, I started a thread defending Sam and the offense earlier today because I believe everything I wrote.  Sam was fine, and actually better than Ben Roethlisberger was against Cleveland.  His stat line only looks bad because of the final 3 minutes of the game when were in pass-only desperation mode.  Prior to that he drove the team to 17 points with no INTs.  (FYI - Drew Brees only managed 18 points vs. Cleveland last week)

Our problems are discipline, coaching and penalties IMO.

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup, I started a thread defending Sam and the offense earlier today because I believe everything I wrote.  Sam was fine, and actually better than Ben Roethlisberger was against Cleveland.  His stat line only looks bad because of the final 3 minutes of the game when were in pass-only desperation mode.  Prior to that he drove the team to 17 points with no INTs.  (FYI - Drew Brees only managed 18 points vs. Cleveland last week)

Our problems are discipline, coaching and penalties IMO.

and OL, WR, no pass rush. Other then that, we're all good! 

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

He took care of the ball playing with a lead in a tough environment against a legit top 5 D

didnt really leave anything major out there, browns had excellent coverage or would get to the QB quick. 

Then running game and screen game was working well- although we abused it a little resulting in quite a few 3rd and long situations

the Anderson fumble was a KILLER... Jets had forced a Baker punt, were driving... up 14-3 with 6 left in the third..... browns were prob looking at at least that deficit going into the fourth... instead they get the ball in redzone and score 

1st/2nd down run plays in red zone after browns tied were killer, set us up for a 3rd and long that came up a yard short... similar to the Herndon play vs Miami 

End is the day it’s very hard to get in a rhythm/air it out when your d is dominating (first half) and you can run the ball... really no reason to push it in this one... until it was too late. 

Sam didnt have a bad game. There was one pass that was terrible, the int by schobert. His target was double covered the entire time.

Sam was either running for his life or having to make up for penalties by the Oline. 

Get this kid some guards and tackles. Im telling you, this Oline is bad, but if ANY of those starters get injured I would pray for Sam because the depth on this team is nonexistent

This BS is on MAC, "Play Calling" (what a joke) and coaching. 

you will never win with some of the worst management in the entire league. 

The Johnsons are not football ppl they are hypercorporate big pharma bottom line ashsoles who have no business being involved in anything if they plan on owning a winning team. All they care about is the bottom line. Oh and the PR dept is an embarassment all around 

Ppl have been hammering for O line for almost s decade. This is BS and certainly is not Sam Darnold fault. Cant make chicken salad with chicken shlt

As doom and gloom as some people are the Jets didn’t really do THAT bad considering the lack of offensive talent.

Steelers OL ranked 4th - Ben sacked 4 times

Saints OL ranked 6th - Brees sacked 3 times

Jets OL ranked 31st - Sam sacked 2 times

The Browns are much better than a lot of people want to give them credit for. You can’t spend $100M and add 3 of the top 5 players to come of of college the last 2 years and not expect to be vastly improved.

6 hours ago, nico002 said:

bagdad-bob.gif

7 hours ago, nico002 said:

The last INT is a throwaway--a heave downfield with seconds left and no chance.  The first did not bother me.  Because at that point the Jets had conceded.  Our receiver was vcovered by 2 guys in a prevent defense---huh?

Just now, jack48 said:

The last INT is a throwaway--a heave downfield with seconds left and no chance.  The first did not bother me.  Because at that point the Jets had conceded.  Our receiver was vcovered by 2 guys in a prevent defense---huh?  I guess only the jets do not contest passes in prevent

This game highlighted most of the issues that we have with bowles, namely, the poor play calling in the 2nd half, the senseless false start and personal foul penalties and the defense’s inability to hold a lead late in games.   Throw in Anderson’s fumble and there were many elements of that game that were worse than the qb. 

Worst part of the whole thing is bowles defending himself after the game.  Said the penalties were on the players.  Said the game plan was good.  Defended his decision to make no adjustments at half time.  Sounds like a guy in pure denial.  If the defense chokes again late in the game in the coming weeks i wonder if he’ll start to throw Rodgers under the bus.

Just now, GKnight83 said:

I would have been fine with the commentary had you not led with the Browns having a legit top 5 D.  You lost all credibility there.

What makes you say otherwise? They shut down 2 of the most explosive offenses in NfL

jax

rams

vikings

bears 

then it’s a toss up between 

cowboys/browns/broncos/jets

30 minutes ago, jack48 said:

The last INT is a throwaway--a heave downfield with seconds left and no chance.  The first did not bother me.  Because at that point the Jets had conceded.  Our receiver was vcovered by 2 guys in a prevent defense---huh?

Prevent? Browns were bringing the heat. Greg Williams doesn't know what the word prevent means.

The Jets have a habit of making BU QB's look great. The Miami game I believe last year comes to mind.

What I don't get was the Browns WR's suddenly getting open with Baker? Not taking anything away from him but other than one tight window throw and the 50/50 ball(Middleton?) Their WR's were open!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I am personally so tired of watching Bowles try to run out the clock with 30+ minutes left.  This reminded me of the Matt Moore Mia game last year and bolwes just doesn’t learn.  

This is exactly why bowles is a terrible fit with darnold.  There will be other games against worse defenses where the jets will have a lead and have the ability to truly finish teams off and they’ll go into a cocoon again.  In the end this may not be the worst loss, b/c a lot of the blame is (finally) being placed on bowles and all of the team’s issues that have been hallmarks of his regime.  It’s bad when you have a 21 yr old rookie qb on the road vs a top defense and he’s not one of the top reasons you’ve lost a 14 point lead.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Small things turn games.  I'm a big darnold supporter but he did not play great.  But the two things that killed us was the series of three STOOPID penalties when we had everything going out way.  And the Anderson fumble.  The guy has to clue how to actually carry the ball.  When you see him with it you are assuming he is going to cough it up if in traffic.

But good thing Todd has assured us that he has noticed we took bad penalties and notices Anderson does not tuck it away and will now have a word with the boys to correct that stuff.

I'm still waiting for one of the press anyone to actually take him to task on some issues when he gives his lame answers in the after game pressers.

The big thing that killed us was knocking Taylor out of the game. 

Its the lack or inappropriate adjustments that Bowles and staff made on both sides of the ball that killed us. On D because Mayfield was getting the ball out quickly they stopped playing aggressive and started plying the idiotic 10 yard cushion on D again. In that mode blitzes became easy passes for the Browns.  On O in the 1st half they ran right at Garrett who was rushing so hard up field he took himself out of plays. In the 2nd half the Browns adjusted stacking the line but bringing less pressure off the edge., we continued to run the ball out wide . With the few exceptions when they ran up the gut which Powell had a few big runs they played right into Cleveland's hands. They treated that D like it was the 85 Bears which is so Bowlesy.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

As doom and gloom as some people are the Jets didn’t really do THAT bad considering the lack of offensive talent.

Steelers OL ranked 4th - Ben sacked 4 times

Saints OL ranked 6th - Brees sacked 3 times

Jets OL ranked 31st - Sam sacked 2 times

The Browns are much better than a lot of people want to give them credit for. You can’t spend $100M and add 3 of the top 5 players to come of of college the last 2 years and not expect to be vastly improved.

But the Steelers tied and the Saints won, sometimes you need to throw the ball downfield even if it results in sacks or turnovers. Problem is Bowles like his predecessors as defenisive minded HC's are deathly afraid of turnovers so they want to win 10-9 defensive battles. 

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This game highlighted most of the issues that we have with bowles, namely, the poor play calling in the 2nd half, the senseless false start and personal foul penalties and the defense’s inability to hold a lead late in games.   Throw in Anderson’s fumble and there were many elements of that game that were worse than the qb. 

Worst part of the whole thing is bowles defending himself after the game.  Said the penalties were on the players.  Said the game plan was good.  Defended his decision to make no adjustments at half time.  Sounds like a guy in pure denial.  If the defense chokes again late in the game in the coming weeks i wonder if he’ll start to throw Rodgers under the bus.

Agreed with everything you said except the bold. The penalties should 100% be on the players though. I know there are some dumb football players out there that were pushed through the school system but I think most should understand 1 or 2 for a snap count. I do think Bowles should have some steep penalties for players who commit personal fouls or stupid flags.

44 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Don't know if it had anything to do with the pass, but Spencer Long was pushed into Sam as he threw the ball. Possibly he could have been trying to throw over the 2 defenders?

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Agreed with everything you said except the bold. The penalties should 100% be on the players though. I know there are some dumb football players out there that were pushed through the school system but I think most should understand 1 or 2 for a snap count. I do think Bowles should have some steep penalties for players who commit personal fouls or stupid flags.

A big part of training camp was about minimizing penalties.  I can’t see a guy on NE wiping his ass with the ball in the end zone b/c he would know that if he got a personal foul he would be cut the next day.  There are no consequences for the stupid penalties on this team.  

8 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’s allowed to have bad games. His first 2 were much better. All 3 games have been impacted by horrible O-line. His game against the Browns was bad but not terrible given how bad his supporting case is.

He would look great if he had time in the pocket at better weapons. That can be said of all quarterbacks which is why Mac f*cked up badly by neglecting the offensive line. 

I love this optimism but the line and his receivers are not changing this season so I'm having a hard time convincing myself Sam will improve much. Kills me to say so but I see, just as advertise, they are going to ruin the kid. but hey, I'm lying if i say I'm surprised.

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I love this optimism but the line and his receivers are not changing this season so I'm having a hard time convincing myself Sam will improve much. Kills me to say so but I see, just as advertise, they are going to ruin the kid. but hey, I'm lying if i say I'm surprised.

I think he needs to be reminded that this is a terrible place to start at to take it as a challenge and just try to adjust I NFL speed this year. The rest will be cake after this year. Kind of. Keep his head on straight.

But yeah, I didn’t think this team would be THIS bad and we run the very real risk of ruining him. My ONLY hope is that he seems like he can handle anything and will somehow persevere. 

Re watched game as well. Sam was fine, but like a pitcher who doesn't always have his best stuff, he was not as accurate as usual. But, that happens from time to time. Q, Powell, and Long were the only players on offense that played well throughout the game. Long is on an island out their playing o line. Beachum and Carpenter were useless as pass blockers, but were quite good run blocking. How many procedure calls have been against Carpenter? The ball is right next to him! Inexcusable! Winters and Shell were bad accross the board.

On D, it is clear we miss maye. Middleton is a step too slow on every play and opposing teams come at him. Leo was double teamed when they didn't go away from him. They need to move him arround. Shepherd can not yet pass rush effectively. Our D line is not deep and they were gassed in the second half. The blitz rate in the second half was much lower than the first half. Not sure why unless they felt baker would excel against the blitz. Since they did a lot of work on him for the draft, they probably had more scouting information on him than any other QB they will face this year.

In the end, I attribute the loss mostly to it being the 3d game in 11 days. The NFL really should have at least made it a home game for the Jets. That along with the fact that our o line has to be the worst in football made it tough slogging. We couldn't score more than 14 and the D got too tired to stop the browns in the second half.

PS. Our lack of D line depth may continually rear it's head as the root cause of 2d half collapses this season.

Archived