Interior D tackles

Jetster

Look around the league & see how many of the top guys have changed teams. You will see them everywhere. Snacks Harrison, Calais Campbell, Danny Shelton, and on & on. There is a reason Belichick traded Richard Seymour, a much more accomplished player than Leonard Williams. Edge rushers are game changers! Look at the problems Quinn gave the Jets (Fins let Suh go & their defensive line was still stout), Garrett was a PITA Thursday night, look what Mack has done for Chicago. We are going to have 105 million in free agency. 

Regardless of Bowles/Rogers shortfalls calling defenses, there are a bunch of DTs in free agency in 2019 that can do what Leo does. If the Jets could find a trading partner they would have more draft capital & could easily sign a slightly older DT for a lot less than Leos agent will demand (anyone that thinks his agent won't be shooting for the moon is kidding himself). 

Jets need pass rushers. If you look at our schedule this team might be picking after the Buffalo Bills. I'm trying to find a team that could have a worse record & the Titans and Cardinals seem to be the only ones. Either Nick Bosa or Oliver could be in the board for us. In this rebuild I'm totally against giving Williams a huge contract. I saw so many replays on Thursday night where Leo was just stood up at the LOS in a RAM lock going no where. Geno Atkins, Irving from Dallas, are guys that can do the same thing for millions less. 

Jets could luck into a pass rusher at the top of the 2019 draft, sign a guy like Fowler, save money with a cheaper DT and upgrade tremendously on defense with just those 2 things. There was a play Thursday that made me lose my mind. The Browns were backed up, we needed a stop to try to get good field position, 1st play, incomplete. 2nd play? A 10 yard run by Hyde RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE OF OUR DEFENSE for a 1st down (3 more downs), Are you kidding me? 

We're on here killing Darnold who was in 3rd & long constantly, after losing 2,3,4 yards in the run game on 1st & 2nd down. Mayfield hands off on 2nd down & watches his RB run right up the middle for 10 yards & a 1st down. Sorry, the only way I pay a DT huge money is if they are an Aaron Donald type. The way refs call NFL games, interior lineman can nullify interior players by just grabbing them inside & holding on for dear life. The only time they throw the flag is if they pull, or extend their arms. Sign a cheaper guy who can do the same thing, and use that extra money on the offensive side of the ball for more studs to help Sam. This GM needs to start paying for more important positions. 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm just here to say I didn't read this after the first sentence, but I'm sure it was very insightful.

What he said is totally correct.  NT's and 3-4 DE are easy to come by mclendon Henry anderson, devito, snacks etc.  There are some game changers like Donald.  Our guy (Leo) at this point is not a game changer.

Another thing that outside pass rushers bring is more holding penalties because the holding is much more obvious.

We do not need an inflated contract like he will command and we DO need draft picks. I’d trade him in anticipation of a new GM that could draft properly but there’s no guarantee that we fire Mac so I guess we’ll just resign Leo for a crazy amount that he won’t live up to. That 5th year option sets the tone for a big contract.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What he said is totally correct.  NT's and 3-4 DE are easy to come buy mclendon Henry anderson, deviro, snacks etc.  There are some game changes like Donald.  Our guy (Leo) at this point is not a game changer.

Another thing that outside pass rushers bring is more holding penalties because the holding is much more obvious.

And that is some revelation to people that needs explained in depth?  What insight.  Pass Rushers are hard to come by.  I am blown away by this.

38 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

And that is some revelation to people that needs explained in depth?  What insight.  Pass Rushers are hard to come by.  I am blown away by this.

Listen, you live in f*cking Iowa and that's not my fault dude as everyone is the master of their own lives. So if you want to frequent a message board & play message board police you probably need to move so you can find something else to do with your miserable life.

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What he said is totally correct.  NT's and 3-4 DE are easy to come buy mclendon Henry anderson, deviro, snacks etc.  There are some game changes like Donald.  Our guy (Leo) at this point is not a game changer.

How rare is it to see holding calls on the inside anymore in the NFL? Aaron Donald gets them because he's so quick off the ball, but these other big guys in the middle rarely cause holding penalties. The Patriots have been changing interior lineman for years. Their D is not very good but you still don't run for a lot of yards against them.  

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

What he said is totally correct.  NT's and 3-4 DE are easy to come buy mclendon Henry anderson, devito, snacks etc.  There are some game changes like Donald.  Our guy (Leo) at this point is not a game changer.

I was really hoping we took Gurley over Leo. We haven’t had a back like that since Curtis.   When Leo came out his stock was thru the roof. In fact he was considered as being the top pick or definitely top 3. Falling to us at 6 was alarming. At that point, I would’ve went with Gurley.  Leo has been a major disappointment. Good player but not an elite game changer. And you know, as the OP stated, he’s going to command a big contract and Mac is lousy at giving big money away to undeserving players. 

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Listen, you live in f*cking Iowa and that's not my fault dude as everyone is the master of their own lives. So if you want to frequent a message board & play message board police you probably need to move so you can find something else to do with your miserable life.

You thought your post was incredibly insightful and knowledgeable.  That's cool.  I'm just joining in on the fun of JN. 

Iowa is great, by the way.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You thought your post was incredibly insightful and knowledgeable.  That's cool.  I'm just joining in on the fun of JN. 

Iowa is great, by the way.

I hope you don't get too much traffic from all of the people flocking to Iowa. 

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You should tell our Gm about this.

And it should be before he signs him to some silly azz giant contract just to justify the pick in the 1st place. I wasn't against the pick, sometimes the draft just falls a certain way. Probably 90% of teams sitting in that same spot draft Williams. But signing Leo for more than she's worth would be a travesty & the Jets always seem to sign good players (not great players) to contracts that far exceed their contributions to wins.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I hope you don't get too much traffic from all of the people flocking to Iowa. 

Where have you been in Iowa?  Just out of curiosity.

P.S.  Are these remarks suppose to be putting me in my place? Like that I'm unaware Iowa isn't highly populated?  

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Where have you been in Iowa?  Just out of curiosity.

P.S.  Are these remarks suppose to be putting me in my place? Like that I'm unaware Iowa isn't highly populated?  

Actually my niece lives in Iowa, she followed her husband there & has 4 kids, now getting divorced & has to stay for the kids. She abhors it there (we're all from Long Isand). Guy I met from Iowa who moved to the coast of SC told me he was from Iowa. I replied, my niece lives in Iowa. His reply, "Why?". 

12 minutes ago, BigO said:

Absolutely. We need to save that money to spend on more safties. 

Jets don't have 1 star offensive play maker! Not one! Quincy is a #2. I don't even want Anderson on the team anymore. Pryor? 3/4 type. We have zero young stars.

Look around the league. Young offensive stars everywhere. I wanted Landry in the off season, had some fans here telling me he wasn't that good, lol. Looked pretty f*cking good Thursday night didn't he? 

Sams sophomore year, you have to think playoffs! I don't even know if any team would WANT to trade for Williams but if they did? You do it in a 4-12 season. 

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Actually my niece lives in Iowa, she followed her husband there & has 4 kids, now getting divorced & has to stay for the kids. She abhors it there (we're all from Long Isand). Guy I met from Iowa who moved to the coast of SC told me he was from Iowa. I replied, my niece lives in Iowa. His reply, "Why?". 

So you have never been to Iowa then?  Got it.

I'm sure it's not for everyone.  I'd bet you'd be pretty shocked at the quality of life.  But if you have never been here and want your niece's failed marriage to be the barometer for the entire state, be my guest.  Ignorance is bliss. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

still waiting for your comment on Mayfield.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What he said is totally correct.  NT's and 3-4 DE are easy to come by mclendon Henry anderson, devito, snacks etc.  There are some game changers like Donald.  Our guy (Leo) at this point is not a game changer.

Until someone comes up with the DL hasnt been the same since Snacks.  Or can explain why a guy who isnt a game changer needs to be doubled by every team we play.  

48 minutes ago, Paradis said:

still waiting for your comment on Mayfield.

I already made my comments to you in the other thread. I originally said, based on his height taking him #1 overall thinking he's the next Drew Brees was a huge risk. Now I'm saying he looked pretty good Thursday night. 

Why are you here now acting like we should put him into the HOF after he won a game at home, against a defense playing their 3rd game in 11 days on the road, when he got lucky that a strip sack bounced into his teammates arms, or a throw that hit Middleton in the chest that should have been picked off? 

I expect him to be a good player, how good? I have no idea but I'm not going to say he'll have Drew Brees career after the other night. He plays for a team that has a gazzilion high 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. He throwing to a WR that's better than any WR on the Jets, better TE, better Oline. He had zero pressure on him as the Jets D wore out which most us predicted based on the schedule, and here you are looking for validation & for me to say I was wrong? 

Sam Darnold will have 2 full years of NFL play (2020!), where he's the same age as Mayfield is now. TWO F*CKING YEARS!!! Talk to me then, after the Jets use the 105 million, plus 2 more drafts to get him some weapons. 

Until then, let's see how the rest of the season turns out for Baker Mayfield. 

Archived