browns fan perspective

jumpgo69

Admittedly I came on this forum to see what Jets fans thought of the Browns after the game for a different perspective.  As i started sifting through related threads i found that most of the threads were about disappointment.   It makes sense after a loss.  Most Browns fans I know are so used to it that we are numb to it and find solice in believing one day it will change.....it has to.    One game is absolutely no indictment one way or the other but is encouraging.    

The reason im posting is to give you a different perspective on your team.  Im not trolling at all.

1. I noticed the defensive front you guys have is pretty strong and has the ability to control the pocket against weaker or greener offensive linemen.  Very promising.

2.  Jamal Adams has solid tackling and impressive 3rd gear.

3.  Crow has some power.  His dumb celebration was selfish and likely triggered by a few fans heckling him in the endzone.   Seemed scripted and again selfish.  

4.  Trumaine is playing like he forgot he is a top cb.  Rapid decline or disinterest?  Not sure which.

5.  Some playcalling was questionable after Browns changed QBs.   Its as if the Jets felt Tuhrod (I know) couldnt beat them so they dialed up nonstop blitzes and a heavy front with mostly man coverage.  It worked.  Baker comes in and after 2 attempts of doing the same without success, they pull safeties back and start playing more of a prevent style with some underneath cushion.   Not the reason for the L entirely but definitely aided in the momentum shift. 

6.  Sam is getting happy feet and showing some habits that he showed in college.  He still showed some nice ability.  He is going to improve greatly year over year as the comfort of the NFL speed isnt there yet but I believe game over game it is going to improve.   Same goes for his decision making against zone.   

7.  The running game was excellent going to the outside with the blocking.  Went to the well a bit too often in a short amount of time in the same formation was a recipe for disaster.  Coaching adjustments made there are going to be huge.  Keep doing it till it doesnt work but then try masking it and make a defense have to figure it out (dont give a tell) or try the other side.  

8.  Darnold isnt as good as that Lions game would indicate (at least yet) but certainly not as bad as the Browns game would indicate either.  Somewhere in the middle is who Darnold is right now.   Whats exciting is the fact that he came out of the gate showing some things.  Baker falls in the same umbrella currently.  Very exciting first game but he will also have some bad ones.  They are rookies adjusting to the game that is now played MUCH faster with much more complex information to absorb.  I truly think as long as Darnold gets eased in (as he has been) he is going to get comfy and take more shots.  

9.  This game is likely disheartening because of a few things, none of which are really a big issue in a developing year.  One is the tale of two different teams based on a qb change.  Another is tgat the top 2 rookie qbs had a chance to face off and Baker fared better.  That hurts simply because everyone wants to believe they got "the best" qb in the draft and this game favored Baker.  I get it  It would suck if Darnold balled out while Baker struggled.  Its one game and Baker was not gameplanned for.  They both look good and have rookie moments.  Darnild is 21 and 2 years younger than Baker.  He will be just fine.

In summary I love your defense when aggressive and really like Sam a lot as well as Enunwa (that kid has fantastic vision and soft hands and a heck of a blocker).  I also think your special teams is top 10.  Coach gad some blunders but i think Bowles will be solid.  I dont know if Id say playoffs this year.....but not sure I wouldnt.   Oh .....i would have aTrumaine in my office after that game asking him if he wants to be here.   His play is not acceptable.  He knows how to play at a high level.  

Thats it.   Good luck going forward.

4 minutes ago, jumpgo69 said:

Admittedly I came on this forum to see what Jets fans thought of the Browns after the game for a different perspective.  As i started sifting through related threads i found that most of the threads were about disappointment.   It makes sense after a loss.  Most Browns fans I know are so used to it that we are numb to it and find solice in believing one day it will change.....it has to.    One game is absolutely no indictment one way or the other but is encouraging.    

The reason im posting is to give you a different perspective on your team.  Im not trolling at all.

1. I noticed the defensive front you guys have is pretty strong and has the ability to control the pocket against weaker or greener offensive linemen.  Very promising.

3.  Crow has some power.  His dumb celebration was selfish and likely triggered by a few fans heckling him in the endzone.   Seemed scripted and again selfish.  

4.  Trumaine is playing like he forgot he is a top cb.  Rapid decline or disinterest?  Not sure which.

5.  Some playcalling was questionable after Browns changed QBs.   Its as if the Jets felt Tuhrod (I know) couldnt beat them so they dialed up nonstop blitzes and a heavy front with mostly man coverage.  It worked.  Baker comes in and after 2 attempts of doing the same without success, they pull safeties back and start playing more of a prevent style with some underneath cushion.   Not the reason for the L entirely but definitely aided in the momentum shift. 

6.  Sam is getting happy feet and showing some habits that he showed in college.  He still showed some nice ability.  He is going to improve greatly year over year as the comfort of the NFL speed isnt there yet but I believe game over game it is going to improve.   Same goes for his decision making against zone.   

7.  The running game was excellent going to the outside with the blocking.  Went to the well a bit too often in a short amount of time in the same formation was a recipe for disaster.  Coaching adjustments made there are going to be huge.  Keep doing it till it doesnt work but then try masking it and make a defense have to figure it out (dont give a tell) or try the other side.  

8.  Darnold isnt as good as that Lions game would indicate (at least yet) but certainly not as bad as the Browns game would indicate either.  Somewhere in the middle is who Darnold is right now.   Whats exciting is the fact that he came out of the gate showing some things.  Baker falls in the same umbrella currently.  Very exciting first game but he will also have some bad ones.  They are rookies adjusting to the game that is now played MUCH faster with much more complex information to absorb.  I truly think as long as Darnold gets eased in (as he has been) he is going to get comfy and take more shots.  

9.  This game is likely disheartening because of a few things, none of which are really a big issue in a developing year.  One is the tale of two different teams based on a qb change.  Another is tgat the top 2 rookie qbs had a chance to face off and Baker fared better.  That hurts simply because everyone wants to believe they got "the best" qb in the draft and this game favored Baker.  I get it  It would suck if Darnold balled out while Baker struggled.  Its one game and Baker was not gameplanned for.  They both look good and have rookie moments.  Darnild is 21 and 2 years younger than Baker.  He will be just fine.

In summary I love your defense when aggressive and really like Sam a lot as well as Enunwa (that kid has fantastic vision and soft hands and a heck of a blocker).  I also think your special teams is top 10.  Coach gad some blunders but i think Bowles will be solid.  I dont know if Id say playoffs this year.....but not sure I wouldnt.   Oh .....i would have aTrumaine in my office after that game asking him if he wants to be here.   His play is not acceptable.  He knows how to play at a high level.  

Spot on on everything btw, except, “Bowles will be solid.” 

As i've disclosed a few times here, Dad and Brother are die hard Brownie fans. So obviously i'm dialed in with every from Grossi's #100yearswar to Rizzo's Ain't no stopping us now... and let me tell you, browns fans have some of the most objective/grounded views on players/teams. Some kind of byproduct of being tortured for the last 20 years. 

Point of this; First thing my brother said when he called me up after the game (and stopped crying) was; "Man, that Darnold is good... fcking Big Ben all over again. He's gonna be trouble in the years to come"

1 hour ago, jumpgo69 said:

I have to admit I came away extremely impressed by the Browns.  I think people are looking at them all wrong this year.  If they had Baker in there instead of Tyrod, I think they'd be 3-0 and one of the biggest surprises in the NFL.  I think the Browns have the makings of a terrific defense and, with Baker (and his tremendous accuracy and excellent arm strength) in there, their offense might really turn it up too.  You guys have real weapons on both sides of the ball.  Is it crazy (from your perspective) to think the Browns win the division this year?  Personally, I think they're going to.  The Ravens are in sort of a weird place for them.  The Steelers have no Le'veon Bell.  Antonio Brown said the team stinks.  I heard a rumor (on WFAN yesterday) that Tomlin lost the locker room.  Ben is due to fall off one of these years.

That leaves you and Cincinnati.  I think the Browns are more talented.  I do question if Hue Jackson is the right HC for your team but what do I know.  I've been wrong about football stuff many times before - lol.

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Disagree as to Darnold getting Happy feet, which means a QB is abandoning a clean pocket. On the contrary Darnold has great pocket awareness. He didn't abandon any clean pockets against the browns. Rather he sensed pressure accurately and scrambled with his eyes downfield looking to make a play.

I think the Browns put tremendous pressure on Darnold all night.  I was surprised we had success in the running game though.  I felt like we got dominated in the passing game though.  Pressure and good coverage all night.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Disagree as to Darnold getting Happy feet, which means a QB is abandoning a clean pocket. On the contrary Darnold has great pocket awareness. He didn't abandon any clean pockets against the browns. Rather he sensed pressure accurately and scrambled with his eyes downfield looking to make a play.

Give it a while. Eventually this coaching staff will have him playing with smiley faces on his shoes. 

3 hours ago, jumpgo69 said:

Good post. IMO #7 is where this game was lost, Bowles is either an idiot or is too stubborn to change what is not working. 

Darnold played better in week 2 than week 1... 

Happy feet.. like Peyton Manning? Thats his style, doesn’t mean he is panicking or leaving a clean pocket 

you guys a great d. Jets played with a lead most of the game. Very conservative game plan... there really weren’t any plays for darnold to make...

mayfield looked good. Should of had 4 turnovers but did some good things 

3 hours ago, jumpgo69 said:

19 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Great post.  Feel free to stick around...

@jumpgo - you probably don't realize this (how could you being it's your 1st post on here) but the fact that you got such positive rankings and responses from your 1st post is extremely impressive.  This forum is generally not all that friendly toward outsiders (though I think we do enjoy hearing their opinions).  I'll second RoadFan's post saying to stick around.  

image.png

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the Browns put tremendous pressure on Darnold all night.  I was surprised we had success in the running game though.  I felt like we got dominated in the passing game though.  Pressure and good coverage all night.

True, but with our O line it is entirely possible that a few spry residents of the local old folks home could effectively pressure Darnold. They would, at the very least, force Carpenter into 3 or 4 early starts penalties.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yeah, you need a clean pocket in the first place to abandon one. 

Archived