Let The Bills Game Serve As A Lesson to Coaching

Grandy

What this week shows is what most of us already know, but seem to forget - the NFL is a week to week league. There are no locks, no "can't lose / can't win" games. Just because Buffalo beat Minny today doesn't mean that their coaches know what they're doing any more than ours - two weeks ago we kicked the snot out of Detroit, now we all want the coach and GM fired, co-ordinators replaced, players cut. I'll wait till I see Buffalo - or Cleveland for that matter - string a few wins together in a row before I'll crown them as a good team / good coaching job. And as I'm writing this, the woeful Cardinals are beating the Bears 14-0. Lots of topsy-turvy games and results, and we'll see more as the weeks roll by.

Any Given Sunday.

(Except for the Raiders. They genuinely suck. ;-)  )

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

In general, when you coach not to lose, you lose more than you win. If you coach scared, you are not a good coach. Todays NFL does not reward conservative coaches. All the rules, the refs, etc. are all favoring aggressive coaching. 

My biggest issue is the penalties. They have cost us more than anything to n his tenure.  He needs to discipline these guys

2 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

The Jets drafted the wrong QB. Darnold is a bust and Im ready for everyone to see the light. 

As someone who's favorite qb in the draft was Allen, no way in hell does this team draft Allen over Darnold. Bowles is coaching for his job right now, and most people viewed Allen as needing a year on the bench like Mahomes.

I agree they need to send it deep a few more times. Take 4 or 5 shots at Robbie deep each game and see what happens.

But out OL is just SO putrid. Sam is running almost immediately. Asking him to throw deep, accurate balls on the run is just going to spell disaster.

I want them to be more aggressive and let Sam throw it... 

But I think we all need to be ready for some ugly games even if they do switch to that. Sam has no time. No time to check other options, to time to plant his feet, no time to check for CBs and safety spies... He might throw some great balls that get us out of our chairs, but he's also going to throw some ugly INTs and get planted sometimes too. Have to be ready for that. 

2 hours ago, GreenWhite said:

The Jets drafted the wrong QB. Darnold is a bust and Im ready for everyone to see the light. 

Hey there, Mr. Popularity.....you're way in the negative downvote column on this board, why is that?  

I do feel your pain though, I wanted Sam to go to Pittsburgh to join JuJu, and sit a few seasons behind the rapist...seems the Trojans they draft end up in the Hall of Fame.  Didn't work out that way, but he's certainly not in a bad place.  I can dig it.

You can't always get what you want.  May be time to man up and go with the ups and downs of breaking in a rookie QB you don't like.  He may not like you, either. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

We keep bitching how we should've drafted a pass rusher or Offensive linemen the last few years. The Buffalo game today proves that with a good game plan, and a good young QB, you can win in this league, even with the worst OL in the league. I'm so sick and tired of hearing what we "need" on our roster. The Jets just need to go out there and get it fugging done!

Exactly. X’s and O’s can cover up a lot. Bowles doesn’t know how to play his match ups, he has no situational feel for the game and it’s showing in both of these losses.

The ultra conservative old school strategic approach to football by Bowles and his staff...is the reason I want a change.

It doesn’t work in today’s game.  It nearly mimics Rex Ryan’s ridiculous and publicly stated style of play he desired ..”ground and pound”

look at all the creative play calling you see around the league. We are supposed to have a dynamite new QB. Why does he have to be so restrained?

i don’t get it.

What this week shows is what most of us already know, but seem to forget - the NFL is a week to week league. There are no locks, no "can't lose / can't win" games. Just because Buffalo beat Minny today doesn't mean that their coaches know what they're doing any more than ours - two weeks ago we kicked the snot out of Detroit, now we all want the coach and GM fired, co-ordinators replaced, players cut. I'll wait till I see Buffalo - or Cleveland for that matter - string a few wins together in a row before I'll crown them as a good team / good coaching job. And as I'm writing this, the woeful Cardinals are beating the Bears 14-0. Lots of topsy-turvy games and results, and we'll see more as the weeks roll by.
Any Given Sunday.
(Except for the Raiders. They genuinely suck. ;-)  )
And I wrote this BEFORE the Patsies played the Lions ...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I love when people say "just throw it deep a few times... See what happens..." Yeah that's a great OC mindset right there...

Watch the last play of the bears game yesterday... If your Oline sucks you don't have time to throw more than the sticks.

30 minutes ago, ECURB said:

I love when people say "just throw it deep a few times... See what happens..." Yeah that's a great OC mindset right there...

Watch the last play of the bears game yesterday... If your Oline sucks you don't have time to throw more than the sticks.

All we need to do is establish the run, get Sam in a rhythm early with safe, short passes, and take shots downfield to get the D to back off.

Then punt on 4th down. :-)

Whatever the OC does, the brain trust sitting in their armchairs will say they should do the opposite. I can just imagine the outrage if we went deep early and Sam got picked - "Why are you not establishing the run game and go deep off play action?".

17 hours ago, Grandy said:

The Bills have given complete control of the offense to Allen, and the Browns did the same with Baker and look at how they've balked out. 

We need to let Darnold air it out, throw on early downs, and use his legs. Give him the reins to the offense and trust him. Stop protecting him with putting him behind an easily predictable simplistic run focused gameplan. 

We'll see similar results to the Browns and Bills (if not better) if we just let Sam play without handcuffs. Sadly I fear we will need new coaching for that.

I did not see the game.  I did see that he had 2 early starting positions inside the mInny 10.  Cousins distinguished himself.  But I do agree that the Jets should turn Sam loose.  They should stop trying to act like we are going to the playoffs.  Bowles does this every year.  His team sucks. He knows it. But he does not try anything new or creative until he is 3-7.  I mean, he even shut down Petty at year's end when we were out of it. Not that it would have mattered. He preferred to conservatively lose.

15 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I partly agree with you. I think our pass rush is meh. OLine can be above average but we are only 3 games into the zone system. It might yet turn out ok but there’s no doubt it could be improved at almost every position

True.  I do not expect the OL to adapt a new scheme this quickly.  And they have a good OL coach.  It might only provide slight improvement though, considering our dearth of talent.

Just now, jack48 said:

because it has worked so well for him in the past. But you are right.  Leopards cannot change their stripes. :)

Lol  :-) 

Playing tight means you avoid the super-bad blowout that generates real headlines & bad press. Being close gives the impression that you're nearly there ... Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis survived for many years on this basis.

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

This is the coaching lesson, don't looking past the lowly Bills on Sunday towards the Thursday night game at Rams and get smacked in the face

For some reason, I enjoy seeing Kirk Cousins lose.  I always did. It is not just a did-not-sign-with-the-Jets thing.  I think I just may not like the name "Kirk".

Archived