GARRAPOLO/BELL

14 in Green

Looks like Jimmy Garrapolo is going to be out at least this year with an ACL injury. As bad as this is for him, he at least got to sign a 5 year $135 million deal before this season, despite not even having played in 10 games. Contrast this to a guy like Leveon Bell, who despite all he has accomplished, gets ripped in many places (his locker room included) for holding out for a long term deal of his own. Imagine if it was Bell who had gotten that injury today playing under a one year franchise tag. Do you think the Steelers or any other team would've worried about his future? We're fans, and we want to see the best players in the league out there doing what they do, but I'll never knock a NFL player for trying to get every dollar they can, when they can. 

Looks like Jimmy Garrapolo is going to be out at least this year with an ACL injury. As bad as this is for him, he at least got to sign a 5 year $135 million deal before this season, despite not even having played in 10 games. Contrast this to a guy like Leveon Bell, who despite all he has accomplished, gets ripped in many places (his locker room included) for holding out for a long term deal of his own. Imagine if it was Bell who had gotten that injury today playing under a one year franchise tag. Do you think the Steelers or any other team would've worried about his future? We're fans, and we want to see the best players in the league out there doing what they do, but I'll never knock a NFL player for trying to get every dollar they can, when they can. 

Cool story bro

Muhammad Wilkerson was crying in pain today but it certainly wasn’t because he would go home broke with no way to feed his self.

this is why they get paid this money in the first place. Injuries happen.

I feel bad for any other human being that gets hurt but i’m not crying with them over missing out on more millions than they already made because of the risk of getting hurt..

The NFL needs to come up with a better system to take care of players who are playing under the franchise tag is part of their contract and it is their obligation to honor their contracts just the same as it is the teams obligation to honor any guaranteed parts. Bell worked very hard and deserves to get paid which he would when he is a free agent. If anything he is losing money by holding out because teams are going to shy away from him because who knows what he will do when he gets close to his next contract aside from that fans suffer because there is a good player who is not seeing the field and it sets a bad example for young fans as it shows you can be rewarded for not honoring your contract.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Muhammad Wilkerson was crying in pain today but it certainly wasn’t because he would go home broke with no way to feed his self.

I feel bad for any other human being that gets hurt but i’m not crying with them over missing out on more millions than they already made because of the risk of getting hurt..

Mo disappointed me. For a little while it seemed like he was gonna he a big leader and be a jet great then he got paid...and that’s all she wrote 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I do ot cry too much for guys who are under the franchise tag.  They are getting paid and paid well.

I get what you're saying. It seems odd feeling sorry for someone who could make $13 mil in a single season. Until you realize one play could cost him $60 mil or more. Try and look at it from his side. If you were him, you wouldn't be happy taking that chance would you?

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

yep we don't want to see players getting injured but the flip side, for a slug like wilky, is that if he actually practiced and put in the effort to be in condition then maybe he wouldn't get hurt.  how many times do players get hurt by trying to dog it or not use the proper techniques to tackle.

No rationale thinking fan wants to see an injury. Nfl players are business men and their owners are better business men then them. When revis held out, it sucked for us jets fans. He got paid, but ultimately turned off a bunch of fans. The franchise tag is agreed upon with players association so they should not complain about that. The owners will utilize it to protect themselves from long term mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't begrudge bell wanting a long term deal with a lot of guaranteed money but reports were before the season started he himself said that he was close to a deal with the Steelers 

The cap was designed to create player movement 

The Steelers just can't afford to pay rapist AB and bell and have a team 

He's putting that last 5% or whatever over winning 

That's his right of course but I'm not interested in being the team that gets stuck with that contract as his body breaks down 

He's young in years but old in touches 

13 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

No rationale thinking fan wants to see an injury. Nfl players are business men and their owners are better business men then them. When revis held out, it sucked for us jets fans. He got paid, but ultimately turned off a bunch of fans. The franchise tag is agreed upon with players association so they should not complain about that. The owners will utilize it to protect themselves from long term mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Players wouldn’t mind a franchise tag if the cost was ridiculous and a team would only do it out of complete desperation but essentially never. Make it 1.5 times the amount of the highest yearly avg. contract at the players position. Teams wouldn’t touch it and if they did, the player surely wouldn’t mind. 

Archived