Do the 49ers make a move for a QB? (a Bridgewater thread)

Anthony Jet

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

the saints wont trade him because they are in a division race and need him in case something happens to their 39 yr old starter

Definitely see your point, but are they really a contender without Brees? If the 49ers are willing to over pay do they take the draft capital and gear up for 2019? Legitimately asking...

Maccagnan is awful, but accepting the first day-2 pick offered to him was a no-brainer. It's not like Teddy would have been the only available QB, so how badly would SF have just wanted him (for a 2nd rounder at that) over all others?

Anyone willing to offer up a 2nd surely is first beating down Philadelphia's door for Foles now that Wentz is back. Plus from Macc's standpoint, there was every likelihood that by the time someone showed interest in Teddy, Wentz would have been back for a month; thus making Foles that much more expendable, and a more desirable option. Philadelphia previously wanted a 1st rounder, turning down 2nds, but that was back when Wentz was still injured before knowing if he'd have a setback that could have kept him out until week 8 or longer. Now I think they'd take it, especially for a 49ers team already starting out 1-2.

Any of these did and/or do have the same or greater value than Teddy, who still hasn't shown he can last very long himself:

1. Foles 
  2. Winston (maybe they jump at the chance to ride out Fitz this season, given his hot start, and start over with someone else next year; an extra 1st-2nd round pick would help, and it makes the controversy go away instead of popping up every/any time Fitz has a meh game)
  3. Brisset (was traded for a 3rd just last year and I don't think his value is any lower today)
  4. Taylor (he's certainly not starting in Cleveland anymore, sucked this year, but eye of the beholder sometimes)
  5. Bradford (slow start aside, this league has always valued him, but they're in the same division)

Or as likely as not they could figure a long shot at preserving this season with any of the above just isn't worth a 2nd rounder next year. If they were all-in on 2018 they wouldn't have front-loaded Garoppolo's cap figure to $37m this year, and instead they might opt for just a warm body hoping to get Foles-like lucky by throwing only a late rounder for someone like Stanton, Gabbert, Daniel, Schaub, Osweiller, Glennon, Siemian, Cassel, Hoyer, Geno, or RGIII. 

Sure it's possible out of all these possible options they'd opt for throwing us a 2nd rounder to rent Teddy for a year, but I would hardly classify that as likely. It's possible all we'd have gotten was a 3rd rounder anyway. It's even possible they'd offer less than New Orleans offered, if they felt they had more/better temporary-QB options than we had trade-Teddy options. 

It was a better bet to take the day-2 pick when he did, especially already being down a 2nd rounder to begin with.

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Definitely see your point, but are they really a contender without Brees? If the 49ers are willing to over pay do they take the draft capital and gear up for 2019? Legitimately asking...

yes they wont trade teddy because their 3rd stinger is pretty raw. he was in a few trick plays running the ball. The falcons did not even really honor him passing ball. he ran twice and got good yardage but stack the box and he is not going anywhere. in a few yrs maybe but teddy is miles better then him. 

The saints are 1 game out of 1st place in a tough division.  No one expected the Bucs to be this good but then they have the Panthers. So they have the bet qb situation atm in the division starter and depth wise

Don't think SF would have given up a second rounder for Bridgewater. They've invested five years and $137.5 million ($74 million guaranteed) in the guy (ouch!). Can't see them expending anymore resources into someone else. They're just going to play the season out and press the Reset button once he comes back. 

Also, Teddy's suspect knee probably wouldn't be something they'd be comfortable with, given the circumstances.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

At most a 2nd. I think we did alright for what we got.

Yeah I'm fine with what we got.

I don't think we'd get a 2nd most notably because, now that Wentz is on the field and he seems good, Foles is going to be any team's first choice for any pick-bidding that high. Foles is the reigning SB MVP, with one of the all-time best seasons under his belt (yes, 5 seasons ago). Comparatively, Bridgewater hasn't started a game (or taken one meaningful snap) since game-managing his way through the 2015 season and has never thrown 15 TDs in a season.

Right now, today, before he's shown anything on the field in a real game (or really a string of real games), he's just not worth a 2nd round pick. 

We did just fine on that one. It wasn't worth risking holding him all season on the hopes someone wants to upgrade the Saints' 3rd rounder to a 2nd rounder or better 3rd rounder. 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maccagnan is awful, but accepting the first day-2 pick offered to him was a no-brainer. It's not like Teddy would have been the only available QB, so how badly SF would have just wanted him over all others. Anyone willing to offer up a 2nd surely is first beating down Philadelphia's door for Foles now that Wentz is back. Plus from Macc's standpoint, there was every likelihood that by the time someone showed interest in Teddy, Wentz would have been back for a month; thus making Foles that much more expendable, and a more desirable option. Philadelphia previously wanted a 1st rounder, turning down 2nds, but that was back when Wentz was still injured before knowing if he'd have a setback that could have kept him out until week 8 or longer. Now I think they'd take it, especially for a 49ers team already starting out 1-2.

Any of these did and/or do have the same or greater value than Teddy, who still hasn't shown he can last very long himself:

1. Foles 
  2. Winston (maybe they jump at the chance to ride out Fitz this season, given his hot start, and start over with someone else next year; an extra 1st-2nd round pick would help, and it makes the controversy go away instead of popping up every/any time Fitz has a meh game)
  3. Brisset (was traded for a 3rd just last year and I don't think his value is any lower today)
  4. Taylor (he's certainly not starting in Cleveland anymore, sucked this year, but eye of the beholder sometimes)
  5. Bradford (slow start aside, this league has always valued him, but they're in the same division)

Or as likely as not they could figure a long shot at preserving this season with any of the above just isn't worth a 2nd rounder next year. If they were all-in on 2018 they wouldn't have front-loaded Garoppolo's cap figure to $37m this year, and instead they might opt for just a warm body hoping to get Foles-like lucky by throwing only a late rounder for someone like Stanton, Gabbert, Daniel, Schaub, Osweiller, Glennon, Siemian, Cassel, Hoyer, Geno, or RGIII. 

Sure it's possible out of all these possible options they'd opt for throwing us a 2nd rounder to rent Teddy for a year, but I would hardly classify that as likely. It's possible all we'd have gotten was a 3rd rounder anyway. It's even possible they'd offer less than New Orleans offered, if they felt they had more/better temporary-QB options than we had trade-Teddy options. 

It was a better bet to take the day-2 pick when he did, especially already being down a 2nd rounder to begin with.

Arizona can save $4+ milllion by cutting Bradford. He’ll be taking starts in SF soon enough.

Maccagnan is awful, but accepting the first day-2 pick offered to him was a no-brainer. It's not like Teddy would have been the only available QB, so how badly would SF have just wanted him (for a 2nd rounder at that) over all others?
Anyone willing to offer up a 2nd surely is first beating down Philadelphia's door for Foles now that Wentz is back. Plus from Macc's standpoint, there was every likelihood that by the time someone showed interest in Teddy, Wentz would have been back for a month; thus making Foles that much more expendable, and a more desirable option. Philadelphia previously wanted a 1st rounder, turning down 2nds, but that was back when Wentz was still injured before knowing if he'd have a setback that could have kept him out until week 8 or longer. Now I think they'd take it, especially for a 49ers team already starting out 1-2.
  1. Foles 
My gut tells me that sf stays put but if they want anotother qb they will look for an older vet who won't compete with garopolo next season the guy in Washington would be a good fit for them McCoy

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

i would be shocked if the saints do anything they are tied for first and have the best qb situation in the division. They protected themselves from an injury to the starter and the Teddy has time to learn the offense. 

The 49ers are in a tougher division and already were missing 3 starters on offense They may value the draft pick more then competing and getting flushed early in the playoffs assuming they can even make it that far

On 9/24/2018 at 11:41 AM, Sperm Edwards said:
  1. Bradford (slow start aside, this league has always valued him, but they're in the same division)

If you have the chance to sabotage another team in your division with Bradford while getting a pick for it...I think that's a no brainer.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:23 PM, Anthony Jet said:

I get it, but if the jets held bridgewater, this would’ve been the first year ever in the NFL that no starter on any team misses a game due to injury.....

Let’s face it: if Bridgewater we’re still on the team we’d all be calling on him to replace Darnold because of our last two games (yes, Jets fans, especially me, really are that reactionary. I’m guessing that type of scenario was the real problem with keeping him.

Archived