Bowles Says Penalties Are Not On Him

JetNation

IMG_1460.jpg

After Thursday’s disappointing loss to the Browns in Baker Mayfield’s regular season debut, one thing is for certain. Todd Bowles needs to clean up the Jets locker room. The team’s immaturity manifested itself when running back Isaiah Crowell drew a flag for “wiping” his rear end with the football during a TD celebration before launching the ball into the crowd in Cleveland. The Jets lack of discipline has never been clearer than when this incident happened.

Now, Jet fans are asking when players will be held accountable for their immature actions on the field? Todd Bowles was brought in as a disciplinarian head coach, and now many are left wondering why he has not put an end to careless penalties. Over the course of the past few seasons with Bowles in charge, there have been numerous offseason incidents, stupid penalties, and distractions which have impacted the Jets on field play.

One of the reasons Woody Johnson hired Bowles was because he wanted a 21st-century disciplinarian to tighten up the loose ends that marked the Rex Ryan era,

-Rich Cimini, ESPN New York, Aug 13, 2015

Not only was the loss to the Browns itself embarrassing, but the fact that the loss was due largely to stupid penalties was even more painful and it should make Todd Bowles’ seat just a bit warmer. Under Bowles, the Jets have yet to prove they can act like professionals both on and off the field, and it’s because of this lack of professionalism that the Jets suffered a second consecutive loss in which they had every chance to win, but found a way to give it back.

When commenting on the penalties, Bowles had this to say: “Well, the penalties are definitely on the players. Coaches can’t play for them.” While you could make the case for players being accountable for their mental and physical mistakes on the field, it’s the extra curricular stuff that happens after the whistle that’s alarming.  Wiping yourself with the ball, taunting an opponent in some way shape or fashion, are all actions that players have to feel comfortable doing, knowing the discipline that faces them later isn’t prohibitive if it exists at all.  Look no further than Crowell’s post game comments after Bowles had spoken to him about his actions, appearing less than remorseful while discussing the incident.

It would appear Bowles does not understand that penalties, and what players do on the field is a direct reflection of the coaching staff.  At this point, frustrations are running high around the Jets performance since their win in Detroit, and if Bowles doesn’t turn around the Jets behavior, the Jets could be in for a long season.

The post Bowles Says Penalties Are Not On Him appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
MN611E1SE2w

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, JetNation said:

IMG_1460.jpg

After Thursday’s disappointing loss to the Browns in Baker Mayfield’s regular season debut, one thing is for certain. Todd Bowles needs to clean up the Jets locker room. The team’s immaturity manifested itself when running back Isaiah Crowell drew a flag for “wiping” his rear end with the football during a TD celebration before launching the ball into the crowd in Cleveland. The Jets lack of discipline has never been clearer than when this incident happened.

Now, Jet fans are asking when players will be held accountable for their immature actions on the field? Todd Bowles was brought in as a disciplinarian head coach, and now many are left wondering why he has not put an end to careless penalties. Over the course of the past few seasons with Bowles in charge, there have been numerous offseason incidents, stupid penalties, and distractions which have impacted the Jets on field play.

One of the reasons Woody Johnson hired Bowles was because he wanted a 21st-century disciplinarian to tighten up the loose ends that marked the Rex Ryan era,

-Rich Cimini, ESPN New York, Aug 13, 2015

Not only was the loss to the Browns itself embarrassing, but the fact that the loss was due largely to stupid penalties was even more painful and it should make Todd Bowles’ seat just a bit warmer. Under Bowles, the Jets have yet to prove they can act like professionals both on and off the field, and it’s because of this lack of professionalism that the Jets suffered a second consecutive loss in which they had every chance to win, but found a way to give it back.

When commenting on the penalties, Bowles had this to say: “Well, the penalties are definitely on the players. Coaches can’t play for them.” While you could make the case for players being accountable for their mental and physical mistakes on the field, it’s the extra curricular stuff that happens after the whistle that’s alarming.  Wiping yourself with the ball, taunting an opponent in some way shape or fashion, are all actions that players have to feel comfortable doing, knowing the discipline that faces them later isn’t prohibitive if it exists at all.  Look no further than Crowell’s post game comments after Bowles had spoken to him about his actions, appearing less than remorseful while discussing the incident.

It would appear Bowles does not understand that penalties, and what players do on the field is a direct reflection of the coaching staff.  At this point, frustrations are running high around the Jets performance since their win in Detroit, and if Bowles doesn’t turn around the Jets behavior, the Jets could be in for a long season.

The post Bowles Says Penalties Are Not On Him appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

MN611E1SE2w

Click here to read the full story...

So he is blaming Macc for signing dumb players?

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Cool sorry bro, you are still getting fired because whether you are out there getting the penalties yourself or not, you are still responsible being that you are HC, dummy. 

Total agreement. Bowles appears to be an enabler and because the Jets as an organization has said or done nothing in regards to Crowell sorry Mac but you need to face the same fate. Be shown the door and don’t let it hit you in the ……s on your way out!!!!

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Cool sorry bro, you are still getting fired because whether you are out there getting the penalties yourself or not, you are still responsible being that you are HC, dummy. 

Because Crowell wouldn’t feel comfortable pulling that asshat move in front of Belicheck.

coach bowles is now talking like a man who knows his ass can/will be fired at any given point from now to black monday..

he's essentially writing his own HCing obituary at this point..

poor coach bowles.. :(

When my kids act up and are disruptive, its their fault. I mean, I can only try to teach them how to act. But if they're gonna act up and be loud and rowdy in a restaurant, well, that's on them. What can I do? Parents parent, but kids are gonna be kids. Right? I mean, they're 6 and 9. They know better, and I can't just, like control them all of the time, you know?

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The physical act of the penalty is not on him. Allowing players who commit stupid penalties to continue without retribution is. Bench a guy if he commits a selfish dumbass penalty. Everyone will get the point.

Simple really.

Completely agree.  Bowles is a gutless coach This kind of mentality is finally going to get him fired so as far as I'm concerned, keep pointing the finger, Todd.

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

he thought that making veterans do pushups would reduce penalties.  how about reviewing technique and extra practice, or reducing playing time?  

in the end, this is all good - a team cannot move forward when your HC is not married to developing your qb.  

You want him to review technique of wiping your ass with the ball? 

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

When my kids act up and are disruptive, its their fault. I mean, I can only try to teach them how to act. But if they're gonna act up and be loud and rowdy in a restaurant, well, that's on them. What can I do? Parents parent, but kids are gonna be kids. Right? I mean, they're 6 and 9. They know better, and I can't just, like control them all of the time, you know?

Your kids record sucks, but it's still better than Bowles. 

So its come to this. Our HC is saying he's not to blame for our poorly prepared and coached team looking like a bunch of inept thugs on the field? Why is that TB? Is it because you've lost control of the players, or are you just to the point where you have no interest in instilling discipline? So I guess this means us fans should expect to watch a bad team running wild doing dumb ass Pac Man Jones s**t every time they make a good play? That's great. Not only do we get to watch a team play badly, but we get to watch them act like idiots while they do it!

hmm; I thought the buck stopped with him - I guess not. I thought I was being too hard on him when I questioned why he didn't play Petty or Hack. So, I approached this year 'anew' and gave him (and myself) a Mulagen. It is after serious deliberation that I am once again on the 'fire Bowles' bandwagon. Say what you will about time management, etc. but the main reason was for him/them 'ruining' Sam. They are making him think too much, etc.

Even without the Sam mess, you can't have players thinking there is no accountability. Best way to screw that up is when a coach doesn't have any accountability. Time to move on.

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

So its come to this. Our HC is saying he's not to blame for our poorly prepared and coached team looking like a bunch of inept thugs on the field? Why is that TB? Is it because you've lost control of the players, or are you just to the point where you have no interest in instilling discipline? So I guess this means us fans should expect to watch a bad team running wild doing dumb ass Pac Man Jones s**t every time they make a good play? That's great. Not only do we get to watch a team play badly, but we get to watch them act like idiots while they do it!

Honestly I just don’t think players respect him like they say they do. Football is a man’s sport and when your coach is a GIANT P*SSY, how can you run through a brick wall for him?

He coaches fear and not the good kind where they fear him. His style is all about playing it safe and putting your tail between your legs. There is NOTHING that he can do at this point that would make me want him back. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They are not on him they are on the players.

Agreed. The penalties are on the players. I can live (unhappily) with the false starts, holding, etc., every bad team does that stuff more then they should. But the taunting and unsportsman like penalties getting a pass? Sorry, that's on the Coach. 

I generally agree, penalties usually aren't on coaching as much as most fans want to think.

However, when the coach is the the 4th year of their tenure and this pattern is the norm, not the exception, it's 100% on the coach.

Todd Bowles is basically Jeff Fisher, but not quite as good.  Uber Conservative and Old School, with just enough scapegoats to pin the blame elsewhere.

59 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Agreed. The penalties are on the players. I can live (unhappily) with the false starts, holding, etc., every bad team does that stuff more then they should. But the taunting and unsportsman like penalties getting a pass? Sorry, that's on the Coach. 

I literally watch as the DB coach was ripping Parry Nickerson a new one for getting into it with Jarvis Landry. I seen the coach on the sideline literally grab Nickerson by his Jersey, yell straight into his face, then sent him to the sideline. 

How is that giving dudes a pass? For example, how far was this coach supposed to go? He already put hands on him. 

The players at some point need to make the decision to do what's best for the team. Im not blaming the coaches when I see a coach grab a dude up for letting Landry get under his skin and decides to fight on the field. 

25 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I literally watch as the DB coach was ripping Parry Nickerson a new one for getting into it with Jarvis Landry. I seen the coach on the sideline literally grab Nickerson by his Jersey, yell straight into his face, then sent him to the sideline. 

How is that giving dudes a pass? For example, how far was this coach supposed to go? He already put hands on him. 

The players at some point need to make the decision to do what's best for the team. Im not blaming the coaches when I see a coach grab a dude up for letting Landry get under his skin and decides to fight on the field. 

OK. Good on the DB coach. I didn't see that. But Nickerson is a jag. What did he do to Trumaine? What about the RB coach? Did he get on Crowell for wiping his ass with the football? Did TB even change his expression during any of it? I was a Bowles supporter until last Thursday night. I can live with most penalties, they happen. But I'm sorry, I don't want my team getting taunting and unsportsmanlike flags. We suck. Where do we come off taunting anybody? The Coaches need to instill in their players the discipline to act like professionals. If you don't see it that way, we simply have to agree to disagree. 

Archived