Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

Bowles Says Penalties Are Not On Him

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

He's not wrong. He could have said it better but some point you have to hold the player accountable 

Here's the rub 

Bowles doesn't do that. 

He never benches or punishes anyone 

So it keeps happening 

You aren't wrong. It's like the fitztragic cycle. No real beginning or end and everyone involved is responsible to a degree. Think of a school teacher. Sure the kids are the ones doing sh*t, but a competent teacher (the person officially in charge) has classroom management skills which deals with the children's inevitable foolishness and as a result you see less and less of it. Whereas sh*t teachers, of which there are many, have no control. Employees in general are children who need constant, guidance*, as few are real adult professionals. This goes more so for athletes.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

The point is, you dont know what happens when the cameras aren't around. You didn't even catch what happens when the cameras are around. 

Calling a player a Jag means what exactly? 

So assuming that there is something going on behind the scenes...how has that helped this team, this season? Where's the improvement? 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Disagree.  REX at least had a game plan for big games.  Bowles is simply not mentally capable to handle the job.

well, actually coach bowles is not a believer of one game being more important than another.. go figure..

16 minutes ago, shevys said:

So assuming that there is something going on behind the scenes...how has that helped this team, this season? Where's the improvement? 

Or last season or the season before that?

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We're the 21st most penalized team in the NFL.  

In 2015 and 2016 we were one of the least penalized teams.

Next

Instead of countering the debate on Bowles, tell us what he is good at, why he should be the Jets HC?   Let’s hear your opinion. If you owned the JETS right now, is Bowles your guy?

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Disagree.  REX at least had a game plan for big games.  Bowles is simply not mentally capable to handle the job.

Wtf are you talking about. I’m comparing the finger pointing. Nothing else. I made that clear.

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I literally watch as the DB coach was ripping Parry Nickerson a new one for getting into it with Jarvis Landry. I seen the coach on the sideline literally grab Nickerson by his Jersey, yell straight into his face, then sent him to the sideline. 

How is that giving dudes a pass? For example, how far was this coach supposed to go? He already put hands on him. 

The players at some point need to make the decision to do what's best for the team. Im not blaming the coaches when I see a coach grab a dude up for letting Landry get under his skin and decides to fight on the field. 

I saw that too. Here are my questions.

1. Did he do the same thing to our vet CB? If not, it sets a bad example. Only rookies have to play smart?

2. Did the RB coach do the same thing to Crowell?

Even if it is the responsibility of the individual coach, for the HC to say it isn't my problem, isn't good. The buck stops with him.

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

he thought that making veterans do pushups would reduce penalties.  how about reviewing technique and extra practice, or reducing playing time?  

in the end, this is all good - a team cannot move forward when your HC is not married to developing your qb.  

Except the act of doing  pushups has nothing to do with committing a penalty.  How about reinforcing to OL men that their eye should be focused on the football?  It is a simple procedure.  How can Buster Skrine benefit from pushups?  He probably likes them.  They are simple, do not require thought or decision-making, and are easy for the physically fit.  Now, lashes with a rod or whip is another story.

39 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's the timing and nature of penalties and the lack of accountability for them. Not the volume.

Next.

True.  Especially with a team that wants to dink and dunk

15 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Instead of countering the debate on Bowles, tell us what he is good at, why he should be the Jets HC?   Let’s hear your opinion. If you owned the JETS right now, is Bowles your guy?

I don’t think Bowles is a good coach, but who do you replace him with?

just like Marvin Lewis.  They can “relate” to the players and are politically popular.  I wish we could Parcells back, 30 years younger.  That was a coach.  

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

just like Marvin Lewis.  They can “relate” to the players and are politically popular.  I wish we could Parcells back, 30 years younger.  That was a coach.  

dog whistles..

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

49 minutes ago, varjet said:

Not sure your back ground, but in real business,  they don't tolerate mediocrity.  Books like "Good to Great" for example, talk about GET the RIGHT People. 

Good business's do NOT keep mediocrity around.  

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

I didn't want to quote that thoughtful post @Sperm Edwards     just to add two sentences 😂 but I also remember Parcells saying "a back that fumbles is somebody else's back" 

Or

"a slot corner that holds on 3rd down is somebody else's slot corner" 

I heard that when Sean Landeta botched the punt that cost the Giants a SB entrance in 1985, he wouldn't let Landetta on the plane.  Landetta flew back commercial.

46 minutes ago, Larz said:

I didn't want to quote that thoughtful post @Sperm Edwards     just to add two sentences 😂 but I also remember Parcells saying "a back that fumbles is somebody else's back" 

Or

"a slot corner that holds on 3rd down is somebody else's slot corner" 

One I like better from his fat bastard coaching mentor was, “Players only understand 2 things: money and job.”

Absent fearing the loss of said money and job, the types of players that commit penalties like this, and who don’t give their full effort on the field, don’t give a rat’s ass what he says. 

They need to be threatened with being on the bench and threatening their money. I think he really hurt himself as a leader by leaving Mo out there for 2 years until that final month (which may not have even been a Bowles benching anyway; it could have come from above, since a late Mo injury would have guaranteed his 2018 return at another $17m or so).

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep. What should have already happened by now (yes I'm assuming it hasn't), but certainly after Thursday what's needed, is to stop it cold by being the leader he hasn't been. None of this calm nonsense of reasoning and rationalizing why it's not smart. That goes in one ear and out the other.

It'd be good for Bowles to ahead and lose his temper - do it in front of the whole team, not privately - and tell them here's fair warning in advance: 

"I didn't get drafted, wasn't as talented as half of you, and was still a starter in this league for years on a perennial playoff team and started on a Super Bowl winner. That's the sh** you can show off and brag about, if that's your thing. I've played with and against and seen better players and better trash talkers than anyone here, and no matter how emotional it got on the field we still knew enough not to get these kinds of dumbass flags. In case you didn't notice, we ain't nearly so ****ing great we get to show off to ****ing anybody! Our sorry asses just got beat by the goddamn Browns on national television. So I'd say any and all rubbing-it-in rights have been used up for the rest of the season, and winning a Super Bowl's the only thing gonna take that stench off all y'all. Until then? We ain't halfway good enough to give away extra 15 yards and free first downs and free possessions. The next mother****er who puts himself ahead of all his teammates and all the coaches like that, and gets flagged for things like mocking the other team or the crowd or yelling at a ref or just losing his ****ing cool, is getting benched for the rest of that game plus the full game after that. I don't care if we're up 50 to zip against a team that just cut you. Benched! We got plenty of hungry kids who'd be damned happy for the opportunity to play in place of your dumb ass. And then I'll be damned happy to calmly tell reporters all about it after it happens, so after we drop you and make you a free agent no one forgets your rep as a stupid, selfish mother****er who refuses to keep his head in the game for his teammates. I don't care if it costs winning every game after that and I get canned, because giving games away like this we ain't winning sh** anyhow, and at least I can be proud coaching guys who take this sh** seriously."

Then he can get into the other "regular" flags. But it's got to be loud. It doesn't hit home the same when it's said calmly and rationally because there's no fear instilled. Frankly it's an advantage he has because he's not a constant screamer who yells so much it's all just white noise. So if Bowles does it, it should stand out plenty.

My guess is instead it goes no further than quietly telling the 2 most recent culprits in private:

"C'mon, you're an adult now. You've got to keep your cool because when you do that you let your teammates down. You're better than that, and smarter than that; I know it and you know it." Lol.

And what's not a guess is it'll have pretty much no effect past the next game, if it takes for even that long.

:door flies open:

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

:door flies open:

lol

I doubt it’d need to be half as long as one of my shorter posts, let alone this, but the message would have to be the consequence is the bench.

Right now they’re pissing in his face and he’s telling them why that isn’t nice. It’s hardly working.

He’s not much of a HC regardless, but at least we wouldn’t be wondering if we’d have won if not for handing them a free possession (let alone extending however many of theirs, or cuttting short of our own, due to penalties). 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Not sure your back ground, but in real business,  they don't tolerate mediocrity.  Books like "Good to Great" for example, talk about GET the RIGHT People. 

Good business's do NOT keep mediocrity around.  

It's called negative retention.