Mehta: Jets Reach out to Steelers Regarding Le’Veon Bell

JetNation

leveon-bell.jpg

Another big name talent on the market, and more rumors surrounding the Jets interest.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News is reporting the Jets have reached out to the Pittsburgh Steelers to check on the availability of star running back Le’Veon Bell.

In the midst of a contract dispute that has led him to sitting out the first three weeks of the NFL season, Bell is arguable the top running back in the NFL and is looking to break the bank in seeking a new deal.  Projected to have close to $100 million in cap space next season, the Jets are one of the few teams who could easily afford to fit Bell under their cap.

Making  a call clearly doesn’t guarantee any deal, but it confirms the Jets interest.  Mehta also broke the news earlier this season that the Jets were in on the Khalil Mack sweepstakes and missed out.

Adding Bell would give the Jets a dynamic, yet expensive option to help in the development of quarterback Sam Darnold.  The biggest roadblock however, could be that as a franchise tagged player, the Jets cannot give Bell a long-term deal until after this season.

The post Mehta: Jets Reach out to Steelers Regarding Le’Veon Bell appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Sbqke6FWAdA

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question not mentioned in the link on this below:

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/09/should_jets_trade_for_steelers_leveon_bell_pros_co.html#incart_river_index

The article seems to not mention that any team trading for Bell can't sign him long term till after the season, and that he can just test FA, but even though he can do the same thing he is doing with the Steelers right now, can't the team that trades for him slap the Franchise tag on him again after the season?.

5 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Question not mentioned in the link on this below:

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/09/should_jets_trade_for_steelers_leveon_bell_pros_co.html#incart_river_index

The article seems to not mention that any team trading for Bell can't sign him long term till after the season, and that he can just test FA, but even though he can do the same thing he is doing with the Steelers right now, can't the team that trades for him slap the Franchise tag on him again after the season?.

I think they can use the Transition Tag which would allow them to match if he tests FA. With our passing attack and OL he will not be appreciably better than what we have. Would be a super dumb move for anything more than like a 2020 6th

2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I don't understand the "can't sign a long term deal".  Can't a player and team always mutually agree to a different (long-term) contract than what the player is currently under?

No not when the player is under the franchise tag. I am not sure if Pittsburgh can even revoke it at this point and make Bell a true FA and look to get a compensatory pick

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think they can use the Transition Tag which would allow them to match if he tests FA. With our passing attack and OL he will not be appreciably better than what we have. Would be a super dumb move for anything more than like a 2020 6th

Totally disagree.  He would be by far the biggest playmaker on the team and invaluable to Darnold's development. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'd keep Powell over Crowell. What about Crowell and a 3rd rounder. But then they'd probably have to sign Bell to a multi year. The thing is they will have the money next year. If they can swing it for under a 1st round pick just do it. 

Faulty logiv.  Crowell is signed through 2020 while Powell is a FA next year.  Powell is also 4 years older.  Of course, these are all reasons why Pittsburgh doesn't want him, but still

I think people are forgetting how great Bell is. Nobody would've batted an eye had the Steelers made him the highest paid RB ever this off-season yet people don't want to give up anything more than a late round pick for him. He immediately makes Darnold and this entire offense much much better. Darnold needs to be surrounded with playmakers early on to take pressure off of him. Look at Goff andMahomes and the talent they have around them at RB and WR. If you're all in on developing Darnold then you should be all in on Bell. We run the same zone run scheme as they do in Pittsburgh. It would be a seamless transition. And save me the argument that we need all of our picks. When is the last time the Jets drafted an elite offensive playmaker in any round let alone a mid round. People who are butt hurt over his comments about not wanting to play for the Jets fail to realize that he grew up a Jets fan. They also fail to realize that those comments were made before Darnold got here. A franchise QB can change a lot of opinions.

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Faulty logiv.  Crowell is signed through 2020 while Powell is a FA next year.  Powell is also 4 years older.  Of course, these are all reasons why Pittsburgh doesn't want him, but still

I'll still take Bilal. And I like Crowell. 

6 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Have people around the country seriously not learned about Mehta yet when it comes to Jet rumors? JFC.

That being said...

Leonard Williams for Leveon.

No damn way you trade Leo for Bell.

The absolute highest I would go is giving them the 3rd rounder we obtained from the Saints.

Otherwise...f*ck ‘em.

See if he makes it to the open market next offseason. And if not, oh well.

29 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

"reaching out" in the NFL means less then nothing...there are probably 15 teams that "reach out" on any player that may or may not get moved. non story until something more material happens.

Correction: 30/32 teams "reach out" to a player of Bell's caliber to see what the desired compensation is...it's called "kicking the tires".

I think we should totally go for it. Let's give up valuable picks which we need to rebuild the OL, so that we can sign a disgruntled 26 year old RB (who won't play as well behind our crappy line) to a 4 year high cost deal. This way, we can hear over and over on how Mac traded away too many picks, the OL still sucks, and he never drafts OL high. Fortunately, those topics will pale after 2 or 3 years to the 'fire mac' (even if he was already fired) as we bemoan the large dead-cap hit from signing a RB through his 10th year (avg. for rb. is about 4 years) and how everyone hate the deal all along.

Archived