Mehta: Jets Reach out to Steelers Regarding Le’Veon Bell

JetNation

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bell has a rep as a bad guy in the nfl and it’s not like he hasn’t been suspended already 

This fan base killed Revis for holding out for money.  Now Bell is Mother Theresa for holding out for money and he isn’t even as good as valuable as Revis was 

Revis held out more than 1 time. Bell is coming off his Rookie deal and being Franchise tagged twice. not the same.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

27-29 is old for a rb especially one with as much mileage as Bell.  Is he an upgrade over Powell?  Yes but he’s not going to win us games by himself like you guys make it out to be

Beachum is fine at LT.  You can get good guards and RTs in FA.  Pass rusher there is no way to get unless you get one in the draft or trade for a Khalil Mack

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 8.02.14 AM.png

It's really not that horrible. its not like he's Demarco Murray getting 400 rush attempts in a season. 

I understand the, not wanting to spend money on a RB. I also think you are wrong and that Bell would win us games. he is a great receiving threat out of the backfield which would allow our offense to get more 1 on 1 coverage with our WR's and open the deeper part of the field. Bell is the type of RB that would be good for Sam and our team, I am not in any way saying I am going to be upset if we don't get him. 

I agree with the pass rusher comment. I would have traded for Mack. 

1 hour ago, Stark said:

It's really not that horrible. its not like he's Demarco Murray getting 400 rush attempts in a season. 

I understand the, not wanting to spend money on a RB. I also think you are wrong and that Bell would win us games. he is a great receiving threat out of the backfield which would allow our offense to get more 1 on 1 coverage with our WR's and open the deeper part of the field. Bell is the type of RB that would be good for Sam and our team, I am not in any way saying I am going to be upset if we don't get him. 

Bell isn’t winning us games you guys are in fantasy land now.  

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Revis held out more than 1 time. Bell is coming off his Rookie deal and being Franchise tagged twice. not the same.

And Bell turned down a more than reasonable contract and then publicly taunted his team for having a tie with the browns

2 hours ago, Stark said:

You're only looking at his rushing stats. He catches like 80 balls a season too. He has TONS of mileage on him.

JUST WAIT UNTIL Free Agency. 

The outlook on the Jets next few years will be so much better after this season is over. Where they stand in the draft, which players they should resign, how much actual cap they will have once said players are resigned, how good Darnold is at this point in his career, what defensive players step up and are prime to be impact players in the 2019-2020 season. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

As a kicker, they will not have to give up draft capital and will be able to secure him long term if they go after him in FA. JUST WAIT. The Jets are not playoff bound this year anyway. 

11 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The Jets are so devoid of talent on offense. If you can get leveon bell, you pull the freaking trigger. He would be a huge asset for Darnold.

Your all crazy if you don't want leveon Bell on this team. He would easily be the best playmaker we have ever had. Seriously. Id trade 2 3rd rounders right now and Steelers would definitely bite. He is a special talent and definitely has plenty of miles left in the tank. 

PS excluding this year's draft (Sheppard) our last 3 3rd round picks were Ardarius Stewart, Jordan Jenkins, and Lorenzo mauldin. Yeah, id easily trade 2 3rd round picks for bell.

I would never, ever, endorse trading for a RB and giving him a 2nd contract.  Very few examples of that working out over time in the NFL but, Bell is special in that he's a literal equal duel threat that absolutely would take an insane amount of pressure off Darnold.  And with the way this team drafts, I'm close to being onboard because quite frankly, I have zero faith in Mac to ever find a single player via the draft that knows how to score points. 

If Mac is here next year and the Steelers are willing to come off Bell for a 3rd rounder or 2...yes, do it.  Mac sucks at drafting.  The Rams have some how managed to keep, Donald, Suh, Talib, Peters, Cook, Gurley, Woods, Robey-Coleman, Shields, Brockers, etc.  Then the Jets can figure out a way to keep us flushed with money while signing Bell.

I'm ready.  Do it.  We suck.  Why not? 

44 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bell isn’t winning us games you guys are in fantasy land now.  

You obviously didn't read where I said I am not going to be upset if we don't trade for him. he would win us games you must not watch football.

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You're only looking at his rushing stats. He catches like 80 balls a season too. He has TONS of mileage on him.

I'm looking at both. yes he is an every down back that gets touches and he is versatile enough to get 65 receptions a year, hell i even said as much. The point was that he could win some games for us.

I also said I understand not wanting to pay a RB. Bell is an offensive weapon that we don't have, we have the luxury of being able to afford him and I won't lose my sh*t if we trade for him or sign him in FA. 

49 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And Bell turned down a more than reasonable contract and then publicly taunted his team for having a tie with the browns

reasonable for who? you and me? he said he was worth more than the Steelers were offering... then the Rams give Gurley more $. So yeah I can see why he would hold out. well Bell probably feels like, if they paid him, and he played that the steelers would have won. It doesn't bother me one bit that he says anything about the team that doesn't want to sign him to a long term deal because they either, can't afford it -or - Don't want to allocate that much money to a RB who is 26. people are too soft nowadays its ridiculous.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, choon328 said:

If you have up a 3rd and he didn't re-sign you'd get that 3rd back in a comp pick. And this rental, if that's what it would turn out to be, would be more valuable to Darnold's progression than anything else. You can't put a price on that.

Mehta has been caught in two open lies this week alone, and people are still arguing about a gob of crap he threw against the wall...……………..Again.  LOL

56 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He’s 26. Which other RB hit the wall after his age 25 season? Name any one. 

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

He’s 26. Which other RB hit the wall after his age 25 season? Name any one. 

Nobody claimed he's hitting a wall THIS season.

My claims:

1) Paying massive money to a running back is idiotic and the opposite of what smart teams do.

2) Running back is easily, by far, the NFL position most easy to fill cheaply. Every year some 3rd or 4th round pick comes into the league and becomes a star. It's incredibly replaceable -- I don't even like the money we're paying Crowell.

3) We're already down a 2nd round pick because of the Darnold trade. Giving up more assets is a bad idea.

4) Leveon Bell is in the perfect situation in Pittsburgh. He has a great offensive line, some of the best receivers in the league and a Hall of Famer at QB. On the Jets he would have none of that and would not be the same player. It's hard to be a "patient" runner when you're getting stuffed three yards in the backfield.

5) The comments his offensive lineman made about him this year tell you all you need to know about how he's perceived in that locker room. We spent an entire year purging bad actors and selfish guys -- trading assets to make one the highest paid guy on the roster would be a mistake.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There is a strong case for, and against, LeV.

But I have watched him play many, many games.  More than just about anybody but a die-hard Steeler fan.  Feel like I should mention this again.  The mileage spiel is way overestimated.  He gets tons of touches, but not tons of hits.  He protects himself with his slashing style.  Doesn't plow into the LOS.  Defenders rarely get to "square him up."  He steps out of bounds before meaningless contact.  Goes down when there are no more yards to be had.

Just now, RoadFan said:

There is a strong case for, and against, LeV.

But I have watched him play many, many games.  Feel like I should mention this again.  The mileage spiel is way overestimated.  He gets tons of touches, but not tons of hits.  He protects himself with his slashing style.  Doesn't plow into the LOS.  Defenders rarely get to "square him up."  He steps out of bounds before meaningless contact.  Goes down when there are no more yards to be had.

It's all relative and we can eyeball it and have our own opinions how much "abuse" he's really taken. But the fact is he led the NFL in touches last year, so the idea that he hasn't been a workhorse is a myth. 

Bell is a remarkable talent and would be a great addition to any team. That said he certainly is not a guy that is going to change the fortunes of this team.

Pit has a very good O and just look at how well Carson is doing replacing Bell which is why Pit is listening to offers. They can win without him. That is a big part of his success, playing on an O where he is not the main guy. On the Pit, you game plan to stop Ben, stop Brown, and stop Bell, on the Jets it would just be stop Bell and maybe Q. 

I would love to have Bell but giving him a huge chunk of our cap to play a position we aren't bad at is not what is going to get this team on the fast track. Get me Zac Ertz or Travis Kelce, Get me Julio, or Hopkins. These are the position this team is atrocious in, not so much RB. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is true but have you ever heard anyone talk about how many receptions a WR has in regards to their "mileage"?  

Not really.  And I think Bell is one of those unique backs who know how to avoid the big hits and protects himself.  He's from the same mold as Curtis, LT, Faulk, James, Smith, Thomas, Forte, etc.  All back who probably carried the ball more than Bell and had tons of receptions but played exceptionally well on their 2nd contracts and late into their career. 

Point being, I dont see Bell slowing down any time soon. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is true but have you ever heard anyone talk about how many receptions a WR has in regards to their "mileage"?  

Not really.  And I think Bell is one of those unique backs who know how to avoid the big hits and protects himself.  He's from the same mold as Curtis, LT, Faulk, James, Smith, Thomas, Forte, etc.  All back who probably carried the ball more than Bell and had tons of receptions but played exceptionally well on their 2nd contracts and late into their career. 

Point being, I dont see Bell slowing down any time soon. 

Our O line would make him look like he is jogging in quicksand. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Our O line would make him look like he is jogging in quicksand. 

He already does.  lol.  He's the most patient RB I've ever seen.  Perfect for a zone blocking scheme but again, you can line him up anywhere.  It's more than just what he does running the Football. 

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

He already does.  lol.  He's the most patient RB I've ever seen.  Perfect for a zone blocking scheme but again, you can line him up anywhere.  It's more than just what he does running the Football. 

In a perfect world sure, but we ain’t winning consistently with this O line period. 

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s good. But until we can pass block for Sam we need to use our resources for that. Real good stat thought, better than I would have imagined.

Bell would completely flip the script on pass pro. Having Bell would require the offense run primarily through him, and obviate the need for WRs to “get open”, when they are not.

8 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Nobody claimed he's hitting a wall THIS season.

My claims:

1) Paying massive money to a running back is idiotic and the opposite of what smart teams do.

2) Running back is easily, by far, the NFL position most easy to fill cheaply. Every year some 3rd or 4th round pick comes into the league and becomes a star. It's incredibly replaceable -- I don't even like the money we're paying Crowell.

3) We're already down a 2nd round pick because of the Darnold trade. Giving up more assets is a bad idea.

4) Leveon Bell is in the perfect situation in Pittsburgh. He has a great offensive line, some of the best receivers in the league and a Hall of Famer at QB. On the Jets he would have none of that and would not be the same player. It's hard to be a "patient" runner when you're getting stuffed three yards in the backfield.

5) The comments his offensive lineman made about him this year tell you all you need to know about how he's perceived in that locker room. We spent an entire year purging bad actors and selfish guys -- trading assets to make one the highest paid guy on the roster would be a mistake.

1. Most teams that are considered smart, have a QB making 25+ mil. They can’t afford paying high end money to an RB. 

2. So easy to fill with mid round picks, yet here we are still searching for a starting quality RB, paying $4mil a yr to an average RB via FA, whether you like it or not. 

3. Trading an asset for asset is a wash. Except we know this asset isn’t going to be one of the en Mac bust, guaranteed by his salary  

4. All true, except Bell wants no part of the Steelers. And Bell will make this entire offense a little better in his own.

5. The guys we let go, we’re over the hill, overpaid old vets. Those were the same guys that were openly supporting for Fitz to be the QB while he was a FA, essentially holding the FO hostage. Much different than Bell, who’s been tagged twice against his wishes, wanting to be paid like the best RB in the league. 

Archived