Le'Veon Bell has so far had no potential impact with the Jets

Ex-Rex

The fact that Bell is a difference maker in the run game as well as the passing game is undeniable, but is he worth what the Jets would have to shell out and potentially lose to trade for him. The Steelers are going to demand a first round pick I believe which would leave the Jets with no first or second round picks next year. Yes, they have 90 or more million in cap space next year and would be in prime position to sign Bell long term. But I think his contract demands would eat up most of the cap space the team has, plus like I said, they would start drafting in round three, and would not have a lot of cap room. If Bell is traded for and does NOT sign with the team next year the Jets will have no first or second round pick with a lot of cap space that they now will have to compete with others for the prime talent which diminishes the impact of the cap space. Any thoughts on if it is worth all this risk for a guy that - while a difference maker - is a RB whose careers are not real long to begin with and one devastating injury could set the team back immeasurably.

Just now, Jack Straw said:

Leveon Bell isn't getting traded for a 1st round pick. The Steelers would be lucky to net a third rounder at this point.

I see your point there, but even a third rounder with no guarantee of his return is still scary. I would have rather given two first rounders for Mack.

The Jets trading for Bell is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari to take it to the demolition derby. We should probably figure out long-term solutions at LT, LG, and C before we go trading for a $20mm/year running back, who won't have any holes to run through behind this rag-tag offensive line.

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I read the title thought we already got him. Not sure how I feel about it. 

I thought the same thing

16 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I see your point there, but even a third rounder with no guarantee of his return is still scary. I would have rather given two first rounders for Mack.

and you got a 2nd round pick back too, and the way the Raiders are playing its potentially a decent 2nd rd. pick.  I'm with you on Mack. 

hypothetically if you trade a 3rd for him and he walks, we would get a 3rd rd compensatory pick in return depending on our other FA signings

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s fine but we need t be able to sign him long term .  I would think.  If not this might be the greatest win now desperate to keep a job move ever. Nobody here would be surprised 

You know what I find “funny”? The Jets are not known as a patient organization but they finally give in to a “rebuild” only to find out that the guy “rebuilding”, can’t draft to save his life and has no sense of positional value especially in regards to being on a cost effective rookie deal.

Now that years have passed and the coach and GM got the patience and time that they thought they deserved, both are on the hot seat and in panic mode because “rebuilding” is bullsh*t and every team is “rebuilding” unless you are an ALL-IN team like the Rams or a team that is in title contention and a few key pieces away that can make strictly short term moves. 

To circle back, yes I agree this smells like a short term desperation move and doesn’t solve the bigger problem. If we were at least able to sign him long term, I wouldn’t mind as much because honestly, what the f*ck else are we going to do with our money. Not many of our own are worth resigning and FA looks weak. The fact that we can’t sign him long term and that Le’Veon is a “me first” player that can’t be trusted, makes this a no brainer to NOT DO. 

18 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The Jets trading for Bell is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari to take it to the demolition derby. We should probably figure out long-term solutions at LT, LG, and C before we go trading for a $20mm/year running back, who won't have any holes to run through behind this rag-tag offensive line.

Zone blocking scheme bruh!

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

You know what I find “funny”? The Jets are not known as a patient organization but they finally give in to a “rebuild” only to find out that the guy “rebuilding”, can’t draft to save his life and has no sense of positional value especially in regards to being on a cost effective rookie deal.

Now that years have passed and the coach and GM got the patience and time that they thought they deserved, both are on the hot seat and in panic mode because “rebuilding” is bullsh*t and every team is “rebuilding” unless you are an ALL-IN team like the Rams or a team that is in title contention and a few key pieces away that can make strictly short term moves. 

To circle back, yes I agree this smells like a short term desperation move and doesn’t solve the bigger problem. If we were at least able to sign him long term, I wouldn’t mind as much because honestly, what the f*ck else are we going to do with our money. Not many of our own are worth resigning and FA looks weak. The fact that we can’t sign him long term and that Le’Veon is a “me first” player that can’t be trusted, makes this a no brainer to NOT DO. 

Read half. Need snack. 

he wouldn't  have/make much of an  " impact " for us except when..  he hits the ground after being tackled by one of the " D " players on the team we're playing against  ?

p.s.  oh,.. and yes.. he'll probably be hit/tackled behind our Line of scrimmage since our OL sucks...

?   

16 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Can we please stop trying to trade Crowell for him? That is not happening. It's just not.

Why do you say that? 

He’s a cheap, young, healthy back who’s in game shape right now.

His contract isn’t guaranteed past this season (barring injury, which still only adds another $2m in guarantees for 2019=). So with the Jets having already paid Crowell’s $3m signing bonus, Pittsburgh would only be on the hook for his remaining 2018 base salary, which was only $1m to begin with. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why do you say that? 

He’s a cheap, young, healthy back who’s in game shape right now.

His contract isn’t guaranteed past this season (barring injury, which still only adds another $2m in guarantees for 2019=). So with the Jets having already paid Crowell’s $3m signing bonus, Pittsburgh would only be on the hook for his remaining 2018 base salary, which was only $1m to begin with. 

Because every hypothetical includes Crowell. It's then presumed that we can give up worse picks BECAUSE we're including Crowell in the trade.

I just don't think taking on Crowell as a backup to James Conner would be a significant enough enticement for the Steelers to trade Bell to the Jets for less than they can get from someone else without an ass wiping RB to trade back.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

The fact that Bell is a difference maker in the run game as well as the passing game is undeniable, but is he worth what the Jets would have to shell out and potentially lose to trade for him. The Steelers are going to demand a first round pick I believe which would leave the Jets with no first or second round picks next year. Yes, they have 90 or more million in cap space next year and would be in prime position to sign Bell long term. But I think his contract demands would eat up most of the cap space the team has, plus like I said, they would start drafting in round three, and would not have a lot of cap room. If Bell is traded for and does NOT sign with the team next year the Jets will have no first or second round pick with a lot of cap space that they now will have to compete with others for the prime talent which diminishes the impact of the cap space. Any thoughts on if it is worth all this risk for a guy that - while a difference maker - is a RB whose careers are not real long to begin with and one devastating injury could set the team back immeasurably.

No team is giving Steeers a round 1 pick for a 12-week rental of a good RB.  The only exception would be if a secret, handshake, wink-wink, long-term deal is in place.  Just like there was for Alex Smith to Washington and Cousins to Minnesota.  Smith to Washington had been in place weeks before it could be announced and Cousins to Minnesota was a done deal in February, BTW.  All that "where is he going?... to the Jets maybe" was a farce.  Gil Brandt, The Godfather himself, said so on Serius NFL Network last February when he said ON THE AIR, that the Vikings are going to have an unprecedented blockbuster FA deal that he wasn't at liberty to disclose (this was many weeks before the alleged "actual" Cousins signing).  Sure enough, an unprecedented fully guaranteed deal was announced over a month later. The Cousins visit(s) and offer discussions to and with other teams was just for show.   So teams do indeed bend these rules....  without exception.

biggest impact: reduction of our available cap space...

even if he returns to form, he would have to run behind our OL with teams stacking the box. Jets need to open up the offense to keep the other defenses honest; use the pass to open the run and the run to open the pass. if we do that, we can run effectively with Bilal and the butt wiper - no need to trade picks and sign a 26 year old for 4 years.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Tampa should be on the phone with the Steelers. 

they need to use their #1 pick on a QB next season.  I doubt Winston is back in Tampa.  THey can re-sign Fitz for another year and draft the best QB they can get early on in the draft.

11 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Because every hypothetical includes Crowell. It's then presumed that we can give up worse picks BECAUSE we're including Crowell in the trade.

I just don't think taking on Crowell as a backup to James Conner would be a significant enough enticement for the Steelers to trade Bell to the Jets for less than they can get from someone else without an ass wiping RB to trade back.

I think a free RB has value, particularly when the other team is losing a starting RB in the trade. He’s not going to counter 1st round value, but I don’t see anyone forking over a 1st for Bell anyway. 

I think those hypotheticals with him involved make a trade more realistic, becasue it adds more value than just a mid-round pick and despite “interest” who knows what anyone is really willing to offer outright for Bell. Pittsburgh really screwed up by slapping him with the exclusive tag. He hasn’t practiced with his own team, let alone a new one, and it’s a guess how many weeks it’d be before he’s 100%; he doesn’t want to play 1 down until he gets a new multi-year contract, and already turned down a 1-year deal that would have paid $14m; he’s had an injury history and has missed all or most of Pittsburgh’s playoff games since coming into the league; few teams (certainly not the Jets) are going to have what Pittsburgh afforded him in terms of blocking and spreading defenses.

Taking on Crowell is a plus for them, not a minus where they’re just picking up our garbage. His base salary is the veteran minimum, and I don’t know that it’s automatic what his role would be (starter vs. 50/50 vs. backup). 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think a free RB has value, particularly when the other team is losing a starting RB in the trade. He’s not going to counter 1st round value, but I don’t see anyone forking over a 1st for Bell anyway. 

I think those hypotheticals with him involved make a trade more realistic, becasue it adds more value than just a mid-round pick and despite “interest” who knows what anyone is really willing to offer outright for Bell. Pittsburgh really screwed up by slapping him with the exclusive tag. He hasn’t practiced with his own team, let alone a new one, and it’s a guess how many weeks it’d be before he’s 100%; he doesn’t want to play 1 down until he gets a new multi-year contract, and already turned down a 1-year deal that would have paid $14m; he’s had an injury history and has missed all or most of Pittsburgh’s playoff games since coming into the league; few teams (certainly not the Jets) are going to have what Pittsburgh afforded him in terms of blocking and spreading defenses.

Taking on Crowell is a plus for them, not a minus where they’re just picking up our garbage. His base salary is the veteran minimum, and I don’t know that it’s automatic what his role would be (starter vs. 50/50 vs. backup). 

If you could get a third rounder from another team (or the Jets) or a fifth and Crowell for Bell, which would you take, if you already had a RB you like on the roster?

Archived