Le'Veon Bell has so far had no potential impact with the Jets

Ex-Rex

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

The fact that Bell is a difference maker in the run game as well as the passing game is undeniable, but is he worth what the Jets would have to shell out and potentially lose to trade for him. The Steelers are going to demand a first round pick I believe which would leave the Jets with no first or second round picks next year. Yes, they have 90 or more million in cap space next year and would be in prime position to sign Bell long term. But I think his contract demands would eat up most of the cap space the team has, plus like I said, they would start drafting in round three, and would not have a lot of cap room. If Bell is traded for and does NOT sign with the team next year the Jets will have no first or second round pick with a lot of cap space that they now will have to compete with others for the prime talent which diminishes the impact of the cap space. Any thoughts on if it is worth all this risk for a guy that - while a difference maker - is a RB whose careers are not real long to begin with and one devastating injury could set the team back immeasurably.

1st for an RB that has no desire to ply for the Steelers? Yeah, Steelers can hope but we all know Bell has NO value to the Steelers. A 3rd or even a 4th would be ideal for them at this point, having missed 9 months of football. And it’s a rental. Can’t negotiate a new contract. Gordon went for a 5th. Both players have risks. 

Why do you say that? 
He’s a cheap, young, healthy back who’s in game shape right now.
His contract isn’t guaranteed past this season (barring injury, which still only adds another $2m in guarantees for 2019=). So with the Jets having already paid Crowell’s $3m signing bonus, Pittsburgh would only be on the hook for his remaining 2018 base salary, which was only $1m to begin with. 
Don't forget he would get to play against his former team which he clearly holds a grudge against twice per year.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

The fact that Bell is a difference maker in the run game as well as the passing game is undeniable, but is he worth what the Jets would have to shell out and potentially lose to trade for him. The Steelers are going to demand a first round pick I believe which would leave the Jets with no first or second round picks next year. Yes, they have 90 or more million in cap space next year and would be in prime position to sign Bell long term. But I think his contract demands would eat up most of the cap space the team has, plus like I said, they would start drafting in round three, and would not have a lot of cap room. If Bell is traded for and does NOT sign with the team next year the Jets will have no first or second round pick with a lot of cap space that they now will have to compete with others for the prime talent which diminishes the impact of the cap space. Any thoughts on if it is worth all this risk for a guy that - while a difference maker - is a RB whose careers are not real long to begin with and one devastating injury could set the team back immeasurably.

I honestly have no idea how anyone could talk themself into thinking Bell is a good idea. On any level. 

We have so many other things to address, than RB... a position we cget more than enough production from our current duo. He's entering the last 3rd of his career, with a history of injuries and problems. Fck off. 

Terrible terrible move for NYJ. It would be a PR move and the worst kind at that. 

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I honestly have no idea how anyone could talk themself into thinking Bell is a good idea. On any level. 

We have so many other things to address, than RB... a position we cget more than enough production from our current duo. He's entering the last 3rd of his career, with a history of injuries and problems. Fck off. 

Terrible terrible move for NYJ. It would be a PR move and the worst kind at that. 

Couldn't agree more PLUS you've given up a 1st rounder. WhoTF is going to man the O line in front of him? 1st rounder would fit that criteria real well.

47 minutes ago, Paradis said:

We’re about 5 above-average players from being an afc contender.   Bell would be 1/5. You’re exaggerating.

1. Quality playmaker (Bell.)

2. quality WR

3. quality Lt

4. quality olb

5. Quality LG

getting a good player at those 5 positions and adding them to our current squad makes this a 8-12 team in the league.

At that point, to be a CONTENDER, wed just need sam to evolve.

THE problem, above these 5 players, the Bowles.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Hey, how about correcting the thread title by adding the word "potential" in front of impact?  Misleading thread titles are f'ing annoying.

Seriously thought we’d acquired him and went all over trying to confirm.

53 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

We’re about 5 above-average players from being an afc contender.   Bell would be 1/5. You’re exaggerating.

1. Quality playmaker (Bell.)

2. quality WR

3. quality Lt

4. quality olb

5. Quality LG

getting a good player at those 5 positions and adding them to our current squad makes this a 8-12 team in the league.

At that point, to be a CONTENDER, wed just need sam to evolve.

THE problem, above these 5 players, the Bowles.

Basically you're saying we have a QB... that's it. I don't disagree with your list (even though you invented "playmaker" because we clearly already have 2 RBs producing for us) ... Regardless, that list is forever fluid, forever evolving. A never ending game of whack-a-mole.

The LT problem, the OLB issue, etc etc are all 1000000000000000000x bigger needs than RB. There's zero argument. We're getting production from our backs. We're not in other areas. 

Its no different than we took Leo Williams over Todd Gurley, and people couldn't stop patting Macc on the back for taking a "10 year stud"... while also failing to acknowledge that it was a exercise in redundancy... Adding Williams to the rotation of Richardson, Coples and Wilkerson did what? What the fck exactly did that change on the field.

Barely moved the needle.

Bell would increase production over  (theoritically), but not SO much so, that it's worth it. not even close. We get production out of our running game. We're NOT losing games because teams don't respect our run, or b/c our RBs can't score.

Terrible move for Jets. 

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

No team is giving Steeers a round 1 pick for a 12-week rental of a good RB.  The only exception would be if a secret, handshake, wink-wink, long-term deal is in place.  Just like there was for Alex Smith to Washington and Cousins to Minnesota.  Smith to Washington had been in place weeks before it could be announced and Cousins to Minnesota was a done deal in February, BTW.  All that "where is he going?... to the Jets maybe" was a farce.  Gil Brandt, The Godfather himself, said so on Serius NFL Network last February when he said ON THE AIR, that the Vikings are going to have an unprecedented blockbuster FA deal that he wasn't at liberty to disclose (this was many weeks before the alleged "actual" Cousins signing).  Sure enough, an unprecedented fully guaranteed deal was announced over a month later. The Cousins visit(s) and offer discussions to and with other teams was just for show.   So teams do indeed bend these rules....  without exception.

This would've been such a great post if you had given us (and the Jets) all this inside info you've been aware of back in February instead of 3 weeks into this season. 

6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

The Jets trading for Bell is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari to take it to the demolition derby. We should probably figure out long-term solutions at LT, LG, and C before we go trading for a $20mm/year running back, who won't have any holes to run through behind this rag-tag offensive line.

Powell and Crowell are both averaging 4.5 ypc. James Conner is averaging 3.9 ypc. Run blocking is not the issue. The change to the zone running scheme, like they run in Pittsburgh, relies more on the backs making the right cuts at the right time. Bell just happens to be one of the greatest zone running scheme backs of all time.  Oh and he had 85 receptions last year. It's not like that would help our young QB out.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Powell and Crowell are both averaging 4.5 ypc. James Conner is averaging 3.9 ypc. Run blocking is not the issue. The change to the zone running scheme, like they run in Pittsburgh, relies more on the backs making the right cuts at the right time. Bell just happens to be one of the greatest zone running scheme backs of all time.  Oh and he had 85 receptions last year. It's not like that would help our young QB out.

Agree 100% Not even the Jets would make this move without having a deal in place to sign him. Don't say it can't be done, because the 3 teams interested (Jets, Colts, and Bucs) are not looking for one year rentals. The guy is a superstar on the offensive side of the ball. How many of those do we have on this team? All the people on here griping about OL and Pass rush being a priority amaze me. Bell doesn't hurt our chances of getting either one bit. The opportunity to get a 26 year old player like him, who would take so much pressure off of Sam is a no brainer. BTW please stop with the BS "...if we get Bell, Bowles will never open up the offense for Sam." It's beyond moronic.

5 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

If you could get a third rounder from another team (or the Jets) or a fifth and Crowell for Bell, which would you take, if you already had a RB you like on the roster?

I wasn’t aware those were the choices. And frankly, for the Steelers this year, it might be closer than you think.

They’re not a rebuilding team starved for every draft pick they can get their hands on. They’re super bowl contenters this year, right now, and if they thought it would help preserve those chances by downgrading from someone else’s 3rd rounder to our (likely high) 5th rounder plus Crowell? I don’t think it’s nearly as far off as you make it seem.

Right now they have 1 RB who hasn’t exactly been setting the league ablaze no matter how nice of a personal story he’s got. Players have good games and bad ones, plus RBs get banged up like no other position, and I don’t think they love the idea of Conner-or-bust for the rest of the season. Crowell likely wouldn’t be their first choice to supplant Bell, but they’re not faced with getting first choices as we enter October; they’re faced with the best of what’s left and Crowell has been at least moderately productive in the past, on a bad team, plus he’s been a model of health as far as RBs are concerned; he’s never missed a game in his career and his cost is almost nonexistent. 

I appreciate the reply. I'll address in red.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Basically you're saying we have a QB... that's it.

No. I think a lot of players have shown up the last three games, including: Adams, Lee, Jenkins, H. Anderson, McLendon, Enunwa, Long, Powell, Crowell, Williamson, Copeland, Luvu, Claiborne. 

I don't disagree with your list (even though you invented "playmaker" because we clearly already have 2 RBs producing for us) ... Regardless, that list is forever fluid, forever evolving. A never ending game of whack-a-mole.

I think teams need various playmakers. I don't think that was me inventing anything. Teams need players who are especially good at getting chunk plays. I like Powell, but he isn't under contract next year either. He would cost about 6M himself. Crowell is talented but he is not a special player. I believe he is about 4-5M / year. I do like Crowell as the second back with some power. 

The LT problem, the OLB issue, etc etc are all 1000000000000000000x bigger needs than RB.

Yes they are. Yes, certainly. However, acquiring Bell is not done achieved at the expense of foregoing a LT or an OLB. My point is that we can have Bell and get both of those. (Although personally I think we should switch to 4-3 and get a DE instead.)

There's zero argument. We're getting production from our backs. We're not in other areas. 

I'm not sure what you mean but "not in other areas." We do have sacks. We do have interceptions, we do stop the run, we have made nice special teams plays," and as you noted, we do run decently well too.

Its no different than we took Leo Williams over Todd Gurley, and people couldn't stop patting Macc on the back for taking a "10 year stud"... while also failing to acknowledge that it was a exercise in redundancy... Adding Williams to the rotation of Richardson, Coples and Wilkerson did what? What the fck exactly did that change on the field.

Barely moved the needle.

I am in 100% agreement on the 2015 draft pick being a bad call. But this argument is misplaced here. Williams stops the run and averages what 3 sacks per year? I certainly agree that that is and absolutely was a position of redundancy. Other the other hand, Bell, would pick up 1000 on the ground and 1000 in the air (roughly), which is production that would not be coming from anyone else. 

Bell would increase production over  (theoritically), but not SO much so, that it's worth it. not even close. We get production out of our running game. We're NOT losing games because teams don't respect our run, or b/c our RBs can't score.

Terrible move for Jets. 

When you bring up "worth", its ambiguous because I don't know what cost you are assuming. I think the Jets should make this deal if they can send over:

1. 4th round pick this year;

and, if and only if he is re-signed, 

2. a 3rd round pick in 2019.

That is the highest value that I would give up. 

Jets have oodles of money and have high picks to get some legit playmakers at other areas of needs. The cost I suggest is fine.

15 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I appreciate the reply. I'll address in red.

I respect your game. I wouldnt say you're wrong about a single thing in there... its just the "move the needle" argument. Minus my windbag verbiage, i'm basically saying Bell doesn't impact our "on-the-field" product enough to warrant everything that comes with Bell (trade price tag, contract, where we are atm with developing the roster, etc)... The fit reads wrong to me on multiple levels. 

We have more than enough talent to win on defense. With a pass rush, we're in best-in-the-league conversation (coaching notwithstanding)

The offense needs to see production out of the TE position, more consistency at WR, and of course a dramatic improvements across the Oline... addressing those will move the needle into the win column IMO.

(well, that and a coach - god help us)

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This would've been such a great post if you had given us (and the Jets) all this inside info you've been aware of back in February instead of 3 weeks into this season. 

I did bring it up here at the time.  Where were you?  The day after I heard Gil Brandt say that, I posted it to this forum and it was discussed.  Gil Brandt implied that the deal was done, and he was right.  No one believed it so I let it go here.

Archived