Bowles taking back some playcalling duties

Barkus

Report: Todd Bowles taking back some defensive playcalling duties

Posted by Josh Alper on September 25, 2018, 12:39 PM EDT
gettyimages-10369002061-e1537893583504.j
Getty Images

The Jets are reportedly making a change to their coaching responsibilities after a pair of losses.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that head coach Todd Bowles is taking back some of the defensive playcalling duties from defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers.

Per the report, Bowles, who was the Cardinals defensive coordinator before being hired by the Jets, will now be responsible for the playcalling when opposing offenses are in two minute or hurry up situations. That was a spot where the Jets defense struggled against the Browns last Thursday, particularly when Cleveland turned to Baker Mayfield in the wake of Tyrod Taylor‘s concussion.

The Jets looked confused often during Mayfield’s first drive, which resulted in a field goal and helped swing momentum to their side after the Jets had overwhelmed the Browns offense while Taylor was in the game.

They didn’t do too much better against Mayfield on a pair of more traditional touchdown drives in the second half, but it appears that the status quo is staying in place in other situations.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't type in the post. Don't want to give the impression I'm posting to myself, lol. But this is interesting, perhaps Toilet is feeling the heat after the dreadful showings late in the past 2 games. He is running out of coaches to throw under the bus.

this is usually how it starts, the HC blames one of the coordinators and ultimately fires him.  and it makes no sense to blame bates (yet) b/c the mandate to keep the game plan conservative and predictable likely came from bowles anyway.  

looks like rodgers will be the next guy thrown under the bus.  first bowles blames the players for penalties, now he's blaming the DC for the defense's failures.  

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's feeling the heat.

Man, I really hope we don't fire Bowles and keep Maccagnan. We can't have Mac helping to pick the next coach and setting up shop here for 3-4 more years.

Well if it was Rodgers’ fault we were in preven from the 2nd quarter on then yeah Todd should micromanage this

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's feeling the heat.

Man, I really hope we don't fire Bowles and keep Maccagnan. We can't have Mac helping to pick the next coach and setting up shop here for 3-4 more years.

With that said, if we fired both, we have to let the GM pick his own damn HC for once. 

I think it would be a great curveball for the Jaguars game for the Jets offense to begin the game in a hurry up or up tempo offense and to NOT have a throw back pass in the first 5 plays lol

Keep whatever personnel package you want to attack out there and ******* attack it 

Just now, Larz said:

I think it would be a great curveball for the Jaguars game for the Jets offense to begin the game in a hurry up or up tempo offense and to NOT have a throw back pass in the first 5 plays lol

Keep whatever personnel package you want to attack out there and ******* attack it 

I agree.  That’s what we did on the road at the Ravens and we went up 14-0 in the first quarter against the greatest defense ever

Either take the defense over Bowles or don’t. I don’t like this idea. His foot is half in and half out. This decision is a major sign of weakness. The whole structure between the Johnsons and MacCagnan and Bowles is weak. Get in a Bill Parcells type - pay him and give him complete control. Who? I don’t know. Get a GM in that will bring his guys in run the whole thing already. 

5 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Panic move.  The reason you lost the last two games is because you scored 12 and 17 points and gave the other teams points.

but that would mean he'd have to blame himself for something, rather than blame the players for the penalties and the DC for the defense failing.

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

We should bring in a VP of Football Operations who knows what they're doing to overhaul everything.

i've called for it as well under the woody era.. recently right here, BTW..

i believe a football operations guy would wreck the "fantasy football" high of ownership the johnson boys seem to be fans of..

30 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Getty Images

The Jets are reportedly making a change to their coaching responsibilities after a pair of losses.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that head coach Todd Bowles is taking back some of the defensive playcalling duties from defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers.

Per the report, Bowles, who was the Cardinals defensive coordinator before being hired by the Jets, will now be responsible for the playcalling when opposing offenses are in two minute or hurry up situations. That was a spot where the Jets defense struggled against the Browns last Thursday, particularly when Cleveland turned to Baker Mayfield in the wake of Tyrod Taylor‘s concussion.

The Jets looked confused often during Mayfield’s first drive, which resulted in a field goal and helped swing momentum to their side after the Jets had overwhelmed the Browns offense while Taylor was in the game.

They didn’t do too much better against Mayfield on a pair of more traditional touchdown drives in the second half, but it appears that the status quo is staying in place in other situations.

Well, that is reassuring.  Hasn't this happened before?  And isn't it time we stop using the word "coordinator" for Rodgers?  He is a defensive babysitter.  I anticipate no improvement.  Same old same old.  TDs at the end of each half. Failure to get the ball back late in games.  The disappearance of TOs by the D.  Prevent prevent prevent!

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

but that would mean he'd have to blame himself for something, rather than blame the players for the penalties and the DC for the defense failing.

every year Coach Todd Blowes puts the finger on his OC and hires another.  How transparent is that?  The boobs upstairs just twiddle their thumbs

42 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Getty Images

Two things I now know that I did not know last Thursday:  The Browns have a pretty good defense---and the New York Jets do not---unless you can count halves instead of whole games.

Archived