Bowles taking back some playcalling duties

Barkus

This is a panic move. I'd be okay with him calling the plays all the time, I think Kacy is terrible. But this is weird. The other team gets the ball at the 3 with 4:30 to go. They start grinding it out, killing the clock but they get a few first downs.

15 yard completion now the other team decides they are going to try and score in hurry up.

Quick Kacy, you are out, Todd has it from here. 

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

i've called for it as well under the woody era.. recently right here, BTW..

i believe a football operations guy would wreck the "fantasy football" high of ownership the johnson boys seem to be fans of..

I keep seeing people refer to "fantasy football"  What aspect of fantasy football are the Johnson's fans of?  Are fantasy football teams trying to win 9-6 and playing prevent for 3 quarters?  They don't exactly make a splash with offensive signings and draft picks so WTF is that supposed to mean?

I wonder how that meeting went...

Bowles: Kacy, we're not scoring points and our offense goes into a shell whenever we have any kind of lead even if it is a single point so I'm going to take over defensive play calling duties from you in hurry up or two minute situations.

Kacy: ?!? I was calling plays?! Err...riiiight...I was calling plays. SHADAYONG!!

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

This is a panic move. I'd be okay with him calling the plays all the time, I think Kacy is terrible. But this is weird. The other team gets the ball at the 3 with 4:30 to go. They start grinding it out, killing the clock but they get a few first downs.

15 yard completion now the other team decides they are going to try and score in hurry up.

I fear the coaching staff already got into their own heads and at panicking. This absolutely does not help this season at all. They may implode. When finally pressured and forced to do something, Bowles WILL NOT rise to the occasion. Be prepared for a rough stretch/year. 

It’s where our defense has struggled so I understand... but... the defense looks better than anyone here thought they would. Darnold has gifted the opposing team 14 points and Anderson gave up 10 by himself. So of 58 points given up by this team in 3 games, 24 came off of turnovers in our half of the field.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I keep seeing people refer to "fantasy football"  What aspect of fantasy football are the Johnson's fans of?  Are fantasy football teams trying to win 9-6 and playing prevent for 3 quarters?  They don't exactly make a splash with offensive signings and draft picks so WTF is that supposed to mean?

it's supposed to mean the obvious..

the aspect of not only writing the checks but day to day involvement of players picked & how they are used on the field..

What's that old saying, things must get worse in order to get better, well here you have a textbook example of that....Anyone here think that Mr. Chicken Little himself will improve the defensive play calling? LOL. I do not think they can play any more afraid than they already do. Apparently Kacy Rodgers has something on Bowles because if I am the HC of an NFL team and my DC is not calling the game they right way, I am in his face repeatedly until he calls the game the way I want it called. What goes on here makes zero sense. Why the f**k didn't Teflon Todd get into Kacy as soon as our lead started slipping away last week? Did he really have to wait until the game was lost before doing this? On another note, is anything being done about the horrific offensive game plans we have put forth over the past 2 weeks? I have never seen a team play more scared then this one does. As soon as adversity hits, its like a turtle going into a shell. Just duck away and hide. What does he think is going to happen in Jacksonville LOL? I just don't get it, I Really don't:

Mayfield slings the ball all over the yard

Allen slings the ball all over the yard

Rosen, (although brought into a game in an impossible situation) slings the ball all over the yard

Darnold? Dink Dunk Dink Dunk, 25 play drives for 43 yards -  not allowed to throw downfield, or as we found out this week, not allowed to audible at the LOS which is completely off the wall. If we have a porous OL, scheme is key to max protect, slide the pocket, or change the play at the LOS into something that may work against that particular defensive read. This is basic football 101 that even a dope like me knows LOL.

Sorry for the rant, just totally frustrated and reading this makes me believe it will be worse than before..

2 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

it's supposed to mean the obvious..

the aspect of not only writing the checks but day to day involvement of players picked & how they are used on the field..

How many players on the current roster are they supposed to be responsible for?  How is the U.S. Ambassador to the U.K.  determining how the Jets players are used on the field? 

I get the speculation on Tebow and Revis. Beyond that?  Nah.

6 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

What's that old saying, things must get worse in order to get better, well here you have a textbook example of that....Anyone here think that Mr. Chicken Little himself will improve the defensive play calling? LOL. I do not think they can play any more afraid than they already do. Apparently Kacy Rodgers has something on Bowles because if I am the HC of an NFL team and my DC is not calling the game they right way, I am in his face repeatedly until he calls the game the way I want it called. What goes on here makes zero sense. Why the f**k didn't Teflon Todd get into Kacy as soon as our lead started slipping away last week? Did he really have to wait until the game was lost before doing this? On another note, is anything being done about the horrific offensive game plans we have put forth over the past 2 weeks? I have never seen a team play more scared then this one does. As soon as adversity hits, its like a turtle going into a shell. Just duck away and hide. What does he think is going to happen in Jacksonville LOL? I just don't get it, I Really don't:

Mayfield slings the ball all over the yard

Allen slings the ball all over the yard

Rosen, (although brought into a game in an impossible situation) slings the ball all over the yard

Darnold? Dink Dunk Dink Dunk, 25 play drives for 43 yards -  not allowed to throw downfield, or as we found out this week, not allowed to audible at the LOS which is completely off the wall. If we have a porous OL, scheme is key to max protect, slide the pocket, or change the play at the LOS into something that may work against that particular defensive read. This is basic football 101 that even a dope like me knows LOL.

Sorry for the rant, just totally frustrated and reading this makes me believe it will be worse than before..

bowles isn't fooling anyone.  whenever he's had a lead with any of his qbs he sits on the ball and tries to run out the clock in the 2nd half.  there's no way chris johnson is going to tolerate an anemic offense with darnold in there, so i suspect something will give pretty soon.  

46 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ah, the old Lou Holtz days, when he had the grand idea to let Namath run the team between the 20's, and when we got close, bring in the dual threat, Richard Todd.

He's feeling the heat.
Man, I really hope we don't fire Bowles and keep Maccagnan. We can't have Mac helping to pick the next coach and setting up shop here for 3-4 more years.
Wouldn't it be great to get rid of these guy and end up with some other knucklehead that stunts darnolds growth and a gm who makes horrendous trades for washed up veterans because he values older guys who have had success in better teams over taking chances on younger guys who are hungry to prove themselves

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

OMG, just save all of our sanity & can this guy Bowles! He's into his 4th year & we're still gonna do this BS back & forth with his pal Rogers! 

Where was he at halftime? He didn't say anything about the 2 drives Mayfield had B4 the half? Did the same sh*t in the 2nd half. 

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Why create another FO position?  Why not just hire a GM who knows what he's doing?

Well, the main idea would be to have someone other that the Johnsons to oversee every aspect of the team. Bring in a Tom Coughlin type who has a vision and knows how to build a team.

The title doesn't really matter, if you want to give the GM that responsibility that's fine. I just want someone smart and experienced to oversee every aspect of how this team is built rather than Chris Johnson interviewing everyone separately.

3 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Wait...wut? Not allowed to audible at the LOS? When did that come out? 

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's feeling the heat.

Man, I really hope we don't fire Bowles and keep Maccagnan. We can't have Mac helping to pick the next coach and setting up shop here for 3-4 more years.

Its difficult to know what Macc could offer by bringing in his own coach.  This jacked up head coach reports to owner limits his ability.  He may have wanted to get rid of him already, but cant because of this ridiculous arrangement.

I cant think of a single draft pick that I have agreed with, other than maybe Williams since he started, who I believe is being played in the wrong way by Bowles.  I wasnt sold on Darnold, but I have come around impressed based on what ive seen thus far.  The pure abomination of neglecting the offensive line is enough to fire him though, imo.  The one that really crawls up my skin is Devin Smith over Tyler Lockett.  I said it then, and say it again.  Wtf.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

I think it would be a great curveball for the Jaguars game for the Jets offense to begin the game in a hurry up or up tempo offense and to NOT have a throw back pass in the first 5 plays lol

Keep whatever personnel package you want to attack out there and ******* attack it 

Every week, teams across the league do this effectively. The Jets and Bowles are perpetually stuck in 1985. 

This is poor management by Bowles.

This is like a manager telling the person under him that he'll do his job for him instead of either getting rid of them or supporting them to get better at their job.

If Rodgers is his man then he should be making Rodgers still do the calling but be supporting him with figuring out the bumps.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

I think it would be a great curveball for the Jaguars game for the Jets offense to begin the game in a hurry up or up tempo offense and to NOT have a throw back pass in the first 5 plays lol

Keep whatever personnel package you want to attack out there and ******* attack it 

Here with a total non-sequitur......

With the right QB I am a tremendous fan of the old K Gun offense.  In this era I really believe that it would be more effective than it was for the BIlls.

The key is you must have the right QB at the helm..

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Here with a total non-sequitur......

With the right QB I am a tremendous fan of the old K Gun offense.  In this era I really believe that it would be more effective than it was for the BIlls.

The key is you must have the right QB at the helm..

Boomer and wyche did it first but the key is the jags would not be expecting it and if you complete passes you keep them from substituting and tire them out 

Sam could be lethal in it he is smart, accurate and a good athlete 

Archived