Bowles taking back some playcalling duties

Barkus

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every week, teams across the league do this effectively. The Jets and Bowles are perpetually stuck in 1985. 

After watching last nights Bucs Steelers one thing is obvious. If you keep the foot on the accelerator you put yourself in a position to win. Neither team went conservative. Pittsburg kept the pressure on and Fitz kept throwing, then Ben kept throwing. Both teams left it all out on the field. That’s how you win in today’s NFL. That’s how the Jags and Lions beat the Pats. Why the Jets brain trust can’t see this is beyond me. The rules are set up to support aggressive offensive play. I’d rather the Jets get beaten by 20 while taking shots. Not by constantly “Hanging on” and losing by 3-10.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Kacy rogers is just a card board cut out much like Thurman was when rex was here.

He's a bulwark to protect Bowles and a future bus toss victim. Like they say in business, "A" people hire other "A" people. "B" people hire "C" people.

Bowles was extended the end of December. John Morton was fired 3 weeks later. How is that throwing a coach under the bus? Wouldn't Bowles have had to fire Morton first for that to be true?

When Morton was hired he was not one of Bowles top choice. Top choice was DeFillippo. 

Also Morton is still looking for a job.

18 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

bowles isn't fooling anyone.  whenever he's had a lead with any of his qbs he sits on the ball and tries to run out the clock in the 2nd half.  there's no way chris johnson is going to tolerate an anemic offense with darnold in there, so i suspect something will give pretty soon.  

Bowles suffers from the same syndrome that Rex did.  It’s all about their defense.  It’s a horrible type of head coach to have while developing a very young QB.  It really is.  

22 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Either take the defense over Bowles or don’t. I don’t like this idea. His foot is half in and half out. This decision is a major sign of weakness. The whole structure between the Johnsons and MacCagnan and Bowles is weak. Get in a Bill Parcells type - pay him and give him complete control. Who? I don’t know. Get a GM in that will bring his guys in run the whole thing already. 

Yup....if we need to press the reset button YET AGAIN....we need a complete overhaul of how we think about football in the organization. Hire a VP of Football Operations and give him complete control of all football decisions. Let the Johnsons and Neil Glat handle the business aspect. 

VP hires a GM to handle the day to day grind of running a football team. They both jointly choose an HC. The reason why the Jets are in this mess no matter who we hire is because the Top is rotten. Hire a football lifer to fix it and be done with it already. 

34 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Bowles suffers from the same syndrome that Rex did.  It’s all about their defense.  It’s a horrible type of head coach to have while developing a very young QB.  It really is.  

How could the Jets have known though? It’s not like that had recent experience with a similar situation........(had EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION WITH SANCHEZ AND REX SO THEY KNEW FORST HAND!!!!!)

17 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

How could the Jets have known though? It’s not like that had recent experience with a similar situation........(had EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION WITH SANCHEZ AND REX SO THEY KNEW FORST HAND!!!!!)

Honestly, if I am Chris Johnson I tell Bowles that the only thing he is being evaluated on this season is Darnold’s development.  I don’t care about wins/losses, the defense, but how Darnold looks at the end of 16 games.  Because the reality is, Darnolds development is the most critical aspect of this season by a long measure.   Take the reigns off, give him full control of the offense, like you would a veteran QB, and let him play.   

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Honestly, if I am Chris Johnson I tell Bowles that the only thing he is being evaluated on this season is Darnold’s development.  I don’t care about wins/losses, the defense, but how Darnold looks at the end of 16 games.  Because the reality is, Darnolds development is the most critical aspect of this season by a long measure.   Take the reigns off, give him full control of the offense, like you would a veteran QB, and let him play.   

If I’m Chris Johnson, I wouldn’t say anything. It shouldn’t have to be said anymore. Why waste his time? We should let Mac and Bowles finish the year to show that we are “stable/patient” and let them fall on their own swords so EVERYONE knows that the Jets are in the right when they clean house. They were given enough time and patience which means whoever comes here next will be given the same.  

During this season we should begin looking for a President or football operations behind the scenes since we need one no matter what and if it gets out to the media, it doesn’t necessary mean anything. Bowles and Mac will personally feel more pressure but F them.

It’s all about our perception at this point and the only way quality candidates take a chance here is with a respectful football mind running the show, the appearance of being a patient organization that wants to build the right way, high draft pick, $100 million cap space and young heigh ceiling FQB(with the ability to cut bait if he busts because he wasn’t picked by the new regime although I think Sam will prove to be more than adequate). 

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The defense hasnt exactly been the problem here.

did you see the Browns game coaching and the defense was an issue. The defense could not stop a rookie qb. A defense that thought it was very close to be exceptional. Coaching plays a hand in that  but that performance on the defense was bad.

Perfect move by Bowles to take back “some” of the play calling.

Reporter: “coach why did you make that boneheaded coverage call in the 4th that cost you the game?”

Toilet: “oh that wasn’t one of the ones I took back.”

Archived