Aussie Jet

Cimini: Adams says the Jets weren't prepared for Baker

The more you think about the fact that the Jets played 3 games in 10 days with two being on short weeks on the road and you realize it's not a competitively balanced start to a season.  Really not a lot of time to prep...

It's the penalties with me. It was a problem last year, and this year it's worse. Anderson fumbled, Middleton dropped an interception. We might have been able to overcome that if it wasn't for all those damn penalties.

15 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

The more you think about the fact that the Jets played 3 games in 10 days with two being on short weeks on the road and you realize it's not a competitively balanced start to a season.  Really not a lot of time to prep...

I agree

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The “new rookie QB” change is a lame excuse anyway, otherwise every QB coming off the bench mid-game would have a good game.

Against the Jets?  They all do.

6 minutes ago, genot said:

It's the penalties with me. It was a problem last year, and this year it's worse. Anderson fumbled, Middleton dropped an interception. We might have been able to overcome that if it wasn't for all those damn penalties.

I totally agree. I still claim Anderson doesn't fumble and we win that game as they would have had no momentum and the crowd going bananas at Mayfield. We clean up the penalties and I wholeheartedly believe we're a whole different prospect. Yip, we need to improve in many other ways but the penalty thing should be simple. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This was pretty clear to anyone who watched the game... That said it's not easy to prepared in three days for a guy who there's no film on and likely wouldn't have played if it weren't for injury.

it's hard for me to believe cleveland ownership didn't make it clear to jackson, they accepted a mayfield sighting at some point last thursday on national TV & the guy they didn't pick has been starting since week one in the same game??

not crazy talk for bowles to have at least had an idea the kid might play..

& if he did, having some cliff notes would have been nice..

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Against the Jets?  They all do.

I thought it was implied I was also talking about playing against good football teams. 

Are we still New Jack City or nah?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Just popped up on ESPN's news feed. Adams said on WFAN that the defence wasn't prepared for Mayfield.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41034496-4

I suppose Adams is trying to be honest but he's dropped his coaches into the fire, surely.

After the game, Bowels said he made no adjustments to the game plan when Mayfield came in. The two are nothing in the same. Tyrod is a guy that when he breaks from the pocket, he is running, Baker is going to throw the ball. How can you call the same D for that. Bowles threw himself under the bus, not Adams. 

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Ty. QB makes a huge difference in the appearance of pressure.  Taylor held the ball too long despite open receivers and gave time for defense to get there, Mayfield made quick decisions and got rid of ball quickly before rush got there. 

There's your ball game.

How much of this is Taylor being terrible vs Baker being good remains to be seen but to my eyes both were true. 

15 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Two and a half days to prepare.  The backup QB, with zero regular season film to watch anyway... was not high on the priority list.

I can't stand Bowles, but he gets a pass from me on this one...  You have to give him at least a partial pass.

I give him a pass on not having a game plan installed for Mayfield but not for failing to adjust. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ECURB said:

Felt like a Mangini game... Rex would have destroyed Baker with the blitz... Bowles ran the same D as Q1

Thank you

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I give him a pass on not having a game plan installed for Mayfield but not for failing to adjust. 

They did adjust they decided sit back in preven umbrella

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Its not rocket science he really is not all that much different than the qb they were facing except he is much better.  If it has come to oh we have to prepare for a certain Qb then they may as well play computer football.

You block you tackle you cover you catch you rush.

Don't agree . Its what makes the Pats what they have been over the years. Building game specific plans to take advantage of their opponents.  Problem is Todd thinks his scheme and plans hold up against anyone - news alert he's wrong.

• Upvote 1

I mean, the optimist in me says "good, they game planned for TT and it worked beautifully. Nicely done."... But of course part of the truth here is that a game plan changed and they lost everything. That doesn't really inspire confidence.

I'm not mad at the defense. I think they've been playing great, and I think we'll actually see them play pretty solidly against Bortles given the extra time to prepare. 

It's the damn offense game plans I think many of us are more worried about.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

It was a dumb thing for Adams to say publicly. If he really wants to be a leader on this team, he has to think about the ramifications of what he says going forward.

He also went on to say the penalty’s weren’t the coaches fault .. u guys should listen to interview jamal didn’t say anything wrong atleast not how this headline is trying to portray it

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I think the best way to "cover your own ass" is to deliver on the field, not days later in an interview.  That's all.

This.  You know what leaders do.  They step up on the field and make a play when it is needed, especially when the tide has turned against you.  Or they rally the troops during the game to help stop being steamrolled on the field.  Then he will have earned the right to talk.  I like Adams as a player - probably more than most on this site.  But I am tired of the mouth; let your play do the talking.

Obviously, you are not going to be able to do that every game, but a big defensive play or defensive stop when its needed, in the 4th quarter with a game on the line would be nice at some point.  I can't remember the last time it happened.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm no scholar but to me it doesn't matter if Bolwes had a week or 3 hours to prepare the team for a game - That's a large part of his friggin job and he needs to get it done! The schedule wasn't given to Bolwes a week in advance.  He's had it for months.  If the team isn't prepared for a game, it falls 100% on the coach.  Period.  There is no excusing this.  

Well...he really had them pumped up for their opener vs Miami! 😮Oh sh*t, we're down 20-0 at home, fans must not be happy about our PREPARATION. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

They did adjust they decided sit back in preven umbrella

They didn't notice the 3 step & throw plan B4 the half? How about 1-2-3 jump some f*cking routes? How about that! Moron!

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Bowles sucks, and I get that it’s attractive to jump on the pile when he’s getting tackled, but I’d add in:

Funny thing is even dropping 7-8 into coverage the Browns’ guys were still open. Maybe I just don’t get it but I don’t think Cleveland ditches the entire playbook, in favor of their other totally different playbook where receivers run routes that get them open instead, when a new QB comes in. That is, unless the original gameplan for Taylor was, “No need to defend any routes deeper than 8 yards.” Bad as Bowles/Rodgers are - and they are bad - I doubt that was the case.

The “new rookie QB” change is a lame excuse anyway, otherwise every QB coming off the bench mid-game would have a good game. So much so it’d be routine/commonplace to pull the clear-starter QB any time you’re down by 2 scores because no one really gameplans for more obvious backups than Mayfield either. 

Put aside the Trumaine Johnson blitz; it was one play and didn’t directly result in 21 points. There were some other key plays where the coverage was (or should have been) there by design, except the DB(s) just got beat when the ball was in the air, a LB tripped on his own feet, a receiver came down with a contested catch in traffic, and one where Mayfield found the narrowest of passing lanes over the middle despite what ended up being triple coverage; Sam has done that a couple times himself and it was picked off or incomplete (as it so often is with anyone making such throws). 

And gee, I wonder if it would have helped any if there was a really good pass rusher on the team, so pressure wouldn’t just disappear whenever 8+ DBs and ILBs all drop back into coverage on pass plays, and we can generate sacks and hurried bad throws and throwaways by sending only 4. This is why a reliably good one is so important and a pair of 1s and a giant contract for a unique one like Mack outside (or Donald inside, not that he was offered) isn’t as crazy as it sounded. When guys like that are on their game it’s like having a 12th defender on the field on passing downs, where an extra LB/DB instead gets to routinely drop into coverage because the DC doesn’t always have to rush 5+ just so the QB has less than 4 seconds to throw it. 

This is of course in addition to some valid criticism thrown the Bowles/Rodgers way.

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

So, we scouted 4 QB's, Mayfield among them, for 6 months. Saw hours of film, worked them out multiple times. Basically saw that Mayfield was a grip it and rip it guy, accurate as hell, who will throw to whomever gets open, anywhere on the field. Bowles was probably at every workout, visit and film session, yet had no idea how to prepare for him? If true, this guy should not even be coaching HS football. It's beyond preposterous.

Lol you’re saying their story is they studied every minute of film on him but they didn’t study film on him.

Yeah that’s a tough one to swallow.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Ty. QB makes a huge difference in the appearance of pressure.  Taylor held the ball too long despite open receivers and gave time for defense to get there, Mayfield made quick decisions and got rid of ball quickly before rush got there. 

There's your ball game.

How much of this is Taylor being terrible vs Baker being good remains to be seen but to my eyes both were true. 

It's pretty easy. Tyrod couldnt beat the Steelers even with 6 turnovers from the defense. Meanwhile, Baker produces a comeback down 14 as a guy who's a rookie and never even practiced with the 1's. 

The friggen Cleveland Browns did not pull a Carson Wentz this time. I wanted Baker to fall to us so damn bad...but I cant even hate on this. If there was ever a team that deserved good in this world it's the Browns. 

Going to be exiting to watch them over the years. Kinda hurts that my favorite QB's never play for my favorite team. 

Also, I posted Brett Kollman's video right above this post. 

Man, you ladies are getting hard to read 

The difference was Baker was decisive and accurate and tie rod was indecisive and inaccurate. 

That's what they weren't ready for 

It's still not a good look but you all are getting hysterical over every thing now 

• Upvote 2

This 3 games in 2 weeks is a bunch of excuses. The Browns also played in that Thursday night game, which means that they also played 3 games in 2 weeks. 

Sure, they played one day earlier in week 1...but lets stop acting like this was some sort of enormous advantage for a team that hasnt won a game in years and has started 30 QB's since 1999. 

The Jets fell on their face because they're an inconsistent football team at best. 3 games in 2 weeks isnt an excuse when the Browns played 3 games in 2 weeks. 

C'mon people. 

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

Man, you ladies are getting hard to read 

The difference was Baker was decisive and accurate and tie rod was indecisive and inaccurate. 

That's what they weren't ready for 

It's still not a good look but you all are getting hysterical over every thing now 

Exactly. Basically I hear that the Jets was totally ready for Taylor's limited skill, inability to diagnose a defense and avoid sacks, but wasnt ready for a QB with with a wider skillset that was able to diagnose a defense and avoid sacks. This is a rookie for goodness sake. A rookie who's never played a professional game, and never even practiced with the 1's. His entire offense he's never practiced with because he wasnt expecting to start. 

If anyone should have had an excuse it would be Mayfield given his particular circumstance. Instead he went out there and did his job.

Sooner or later folks are going to get tired of the excuses. Dudes get paid millions, and im talking about everyone, not just the players. You dont get to tell a fanbase that you were beating the breaks off of a team...up by 14 by halftime but you lost the game because you werent prepared for their "back up". 

This be the embarrassing sh*t that has the league, specifically Giants and their fans laughing at this organization and their fans. we excuse it. Folks may not excuse this directly, but will talk about 3 games in 2 weeks, as if the Jets are the only team in the world to have to deal with such a "tragic" schedule. 

Good teams win, all other teams make excuses. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

So, we scouted 4 QB's, Mayfield among them, for 6 months. Saw hours of film, worked them out multiple times. Basically saw that Mayfield was a grip it and rip it guy, accurate as hell, who will throw to whomever gets open, anywhere on the field. Bowles was probably at every workout, visit and film session, yet had no idea how to prepare for him? If true, this guy should not even be coaching HS football. It's beyond preposterous.

It’s amazing and what does Baker Mayfield do that Tannehill and Stafford doesn’t? 

This is just stupid and it’s an ugly sign that behind closed doors, players don’t respect the coaching staff.  Which is a HUGE duh if you’ve paid any attention to the Bowles era but here we are again! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

They probably slept on the talent because he's an Air Raid QB from the Big 12. 

Beyond preposterous indeed. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

He also went on to say the penalty’s weren’t the coaches fault .. u guys should listen to interview jamal didn’t say anything wrong atleast not how this headline is trying to portray it

actually, if he did the unthinkable & kept his mouth shut, what he said later wouldn't need to be explained on his behalf online..

i have no problem with adams throwing shade at the coaching staff because i want them purged.. i'm quite sure woody's brother has gotten wind of it by now.. maybe.....

but it's absolutely is a dick move by a kid who is still a much bigger name (for whatever reason) than he is a baller..

add to it, he's apart of far too many "misunderstandings" at critical points of a games to be considered a leader of the defense, much less the team..