Jump to content
Warfish

Who are Your All-Time Favorite Baseball Players?

Recommended Posts

Players that I have seen.

I loved Rickey Henderson, my all time favorite.  Back in the day, he was a very good CF, he could run, got on base all the time, had power, could steal 100 bases.   He could make a walk into a triple.  Plus, listening to him talk was a riot.  "Today, I am the greatest.   Thank you."

Don Mattingly, every Yankee fan my age loved him.

I hated Pedro, but he was an artist on the mound.

Randy Johnson was not an artist, he was a freaking monster.   The ultimate intimidating monster who no one would think of effing with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First ones that pop to mind #1 Mickey Mantle, even though I became a Mets fan around 1966. Mike Piazza, Jerry Koosman, Jacob deGrom, Don Mattingly. Players from other cities I thought were great and rooted for,, Brooks Robinson, Pete Rose, Sandy Koufax, Juan Marichal, George Brett and Ozzie Smith. After the free agency eras began in sports, I've stopped being a fan of individual players, now I root for the uniforms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, batmans a scientist said:

Mattingly, for the same reasons @chirorob said.

Jim Abbott. I was a huge fan of his when I was 10, and I went to a bunch of Yankee games when he played for them. I was actually at the stadium for his no-hitter in 1993.  

Abbott was a guy, I loved him, everyone loved his story.   Oddly, the Yanks got him, he was only 25, and he was already on the down side of his career.  Age 23 and 24, had an era under 3, he never had an ERA under 4 again. 

Oh.   My favorite pitcher for years....   Tommy John.     Dude threw like, 81 mph, everything sank, he threw over 180 innings for the Yanks at the age of 44, and he was not a knuckle ball pitcher.   How could you not love that guy?

+, you know.   The first to come back from that surgery thing that is named after him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Cone is my all time favorite. Always wanted to be him (I was a pitcher myself). Just something about him.

Nolan Ryan, Clemens, Quisenbery (loved that sidearm), Wild Thing Williams, Gooden, Eckersley 9of course, Randy Johnson. And the 86’ Mets and Don Mattingly of course. Love the Wizard of Oz too.

Had a thing for power pitchers.

These days Scherzer is a fav so glad he’s Nat. Still figuring out who is who these days being new back to baseball as s fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it was and always will be: #1

Sandy Koufax . He retired early at age 30. His last year his record was 27-9 with a 1.73 era in 331 innings.  27 complete games out of 41 starts. Those were pitches back then. Not like now where every starter goes 5-6 innings tops then the string of relievers come in.

Of course there was Don Drysdale too

Other favorites:

Yaz

Pedro

Willie Mays

Luis Tiant

Jerry Koosman

Mike Piazza

Jay Hook  Who was the 1st Met pitcher to win a game. Wore #47 which I did when I pitched in HS and college and softball till 2013 when I gave it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warfish said:

David Cone is my all time favorite. Always wanted to be him (I was a pitcher myself). Just something about him.

Nolan Ryan, Clemens, Quisenbery (loved that sidearm), Wild Thing Williams, Gooden, Eckersley 9of course, Randy Johnson. And the 86’ Mets and Don Mattingly of course. Love the Wizard of Oz too.

Had a thing for power pitchers.

These days Scherzer is a fav so glad he’s Nat. Still figuring out who is who these days being new back to baseball as s fan.

The only real autograph I have from any athletes in any sport is David Cone. Got it on a game used baseball.  

 

Mine are probably eerily similar to most Yanks fans my age.

In order:

Bernie Williams

Paul O’Niell 

Tino Martinez

Jeter

Mo

 

My favorite pitcher? The Moose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The only real autograph I have from any athletes in any sport is David Cone. Got it on a game used baseball.  

 

Mine are probably eerily similar to most Yanks fans my age.

In order:

Bernie Williams

 

Bernie was my fave on those teams.   I always liked OF, CF type guys.   Guys who could hit and who could run.

Similar to your Cone, I have a Rickey Henderson autographed baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

For me it was and always will be: #1

Sandy Koufax . He retired early at age 30. His last year his record was 27-9 with a 1.73 era in 331 innings.  27 complete games out of 41 starts. Those were pitches back then. Not like now where every starter goes 5-6 innings tops then the string of relievers come in.

Of course there was Don Drysdale too

 

I looked at Snell's #s for Tampa.   He leads the league in ERA and doesn't even average 6 innings a start.   Scherzer is tied for the league lead in complete game shutouts.   He has 1.

Starters are getting closer to long relievers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was born in 1987 and am a Yankees fan.

Yankees:

Bernie Williams, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, Hideki Matsui, Aaron Judge, Brett Gardner, Mike Mussina

Non-Yankees:

Ken Griffey Jr., Ichiro Suzuki, Mike Trout, Adrian Beltre, Greg Maddux, Felix Hernandez, Tony Gwynn, Fred McGriff, Barry Bonds (yeah what of it), ,   (oddly, there are a LOT of Yankee killers here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I was born in 1987 and am a Yankees fan.

Yankees:

Bernie Williams, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, Hideki Matsui, Aaron Judge, Brett Gardner, Mike Mussina

Non-Yankees:

Ken Griffey Jr., Ichiro Suzuki, Mike Trout, Adrian Beltre, Greg Maddux, Felix Hernandez, Tony Gwynn, Fred McGriff, Barry Bonds (yeah what of it), ,   (oddly, there are a LOT of Yankee killers here)

'86, yanks fan here. First 4 are basically on everyone's list if you were born in our years. Moose is above Petitte for me because he was just a technical genius.

Non-Yankee: Griffey Jr. and it's not even close. The only other non-yankee that I loved was Ichiro, although I guess I randomly liked watching Maddux work too.

I stopped actively following baseball around 12th grade, and it clearly shows in my lists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

'86, yanks fan here. First 4 are basically on everyone's list if you were born in our years. Moose is above Petitte for me because he was just a technical genius.

Non-Yankee: Griffey Jr. and it's not even close. The only other non-yankee that I loved was Ichiro, although I guess I randomly liked watching Maddux work too.

I stopped actively following baseball around 12th grade, and it clearly shows in my lists.

Griffey was amazing.

Edgar was a HUGE Yankee hitter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 12:06 PM, Warfish said:

I'm curious who your favorite players are all-time? List them here!

Thurman Munson

Graig Nettles

Don Mattingly

Mariano Rivera

Jeter was but I am considering removing him from the list now that he is a Marlin.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Thurman Munson

Graig Nettles

Don Mattingly

Mariano Rivera

Jeter was but I am considering removing him from the list now that he is a Marlin.  :)

Not a single non-Yankee?

That's dedication.  Pete Rose, George Brett, i.e. the Mattingly-before-Mattingly, never a fav?

I guss if I had to list my faviorite football players it's probably be 100% Jets, so I get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not a single non-Yankee?
That's dedication.  Pete Rose, George Brett, i.e. the Mattingly-before-Mattingly, never a fav?
I guss if I had to list my faviorite football players it's probably be 100% Jets, so I get it.
Good point.

Bill Buckner should be on the list as well lol.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×