• Last Reply
3 hours ago, HessStation said:

Pre-draft

1. Rosen (by a large margin)

2. Mayfield (edged over...)

3. Darnold 

4. Jackson

5. Allen

Post draft I really fell in love w Darnold and I don’t think it was fan bias but who knows. Mayfield in turn starting scaring the crap out me.

Mayfield still scares me long term. I just don’t see it ending well. If all things were equal I would take Darnold before Mayfield today. But this organization might just ******* kill him. Darnold and Allen are in bad spots right now with bad teams, with bad OLs and zero surrounding skilled talent. 

Darnold is playing on a mediocre jets team.  Allen is playing on an abortion of a roster

4 hours ago, CaliforniaJet said:

According to some Jets fans, the browns now have the best roster, receivers, defense, and Oline in the NFL. Anything to make excuses for Sam. I thought the browns were 0-16 last year. 

Excuses?  Sam actually played well today the defense sucked and Q is our only good receiver

45 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Baker looks like sh*t, watch the games.  3 runs for TD’s over 50 yards, 4 turnovers, and he has ALL DAY to throw the ball every play his first 6+ quarters can’t wait to see the sh*t show when he actually gets pressured.

To be fair I think all of the top 4 QBs have shown something so far.  They all had ups and downs 

That said.  This poster still thinks Baker is a sucky midget.  Ok I will hedge and say destined to be mediocre midget how about that all you Baker-lovers can gloat again?

I think all 4 of these QBs are going to turn out pretty good.  Still not sure who will be great, who will be good and who will be mediocre but none of them look like busts to me.   If I had to bet I'd say that in 3-4 years we'll be looking back at the 2018 Draft much like we look at the 1983 Draft.

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think all 4 of these QBs are going to turn out pretty good.  Still not sure who will be great, who will be good and who will be mediocre but none of them look like busts to me.   If I had to bet I'd say that in 3-4 years we'll be looking back at the 2018 Draft much like we look at the 1983 Draft.

Or 2004

Baker looks like sh*t, watch the games.  3 runs for TD’s over 50 yards, 4 turnovers, and he has ALL DAY to throw the ball every play his first 6+ quarters can’t wait to see the sh*t show when he actually gets pressured.

He looks better than wtf we’ve put out on the field

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I tend to agree. I think this will end up being a very good QB class. 

I favor Darnold longterm. Always have. Beyond his innate ability to feel and react to the rush (while keepIng his eyes downfield), two big factors for me are: 1) I think he has the chance to be the most durable QB of the bunch (such an underrated quality) and 2) I love his personality/demeanor. 

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Dude, I really wished we drafted Baker. I've literally watched every preseason and regular season Browns game. lol. 

I doubt that im the only person who followed OU that's watching Cleveland football right now. 

Baker looks really good. Maintains a calmness in the pocket while going through progression. He's already utilized the pump-fake to throw a TD. 

Dude is just so impressive. 

This is redic. Arron Roger's couldn't  win a game behind this OL ans with these WR's. 

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I already told you I’m not doing this. No need to put in that much effort to make you look foolish.

If it doesnt require that much effort, then please....show me. 

Let me help you.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/draft.htm

Go back as far as you'd like. 

Come back with those names that the Browns hit on that were so good they went 1-31 over the past two seasons. Or what you can do is stop mentioning my foolishness, while dodging your own.

Link is above, and dont dodge with comments about me. We know Villain knows nothing about quarterbacks! :-) 

Come back with names from that list. 

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is redic. Arron Roger's couldn't  win a game behind this OL ans with these WR's. 

Villain thinks 2 ints 2 fumbles 50% completion and a loss against one of the league’s worst defenses is somehow proof Baker is the next Steve Young and Sam will be worse than Sanchez

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Villain thinks 2 ints 2 fumbles 50% completion and a loss against one of the league’s worst defenses is somehow proof Baker is the next Steve Young and Sam will be worse than Sanchez

Just imagine, even Jon Gruden was quoted as saying, "this defense wasn't very good with Mack last year", so now imagine how bad they are WITHOUT MACK, now that we've seen the impact he's had on Chicago. I'd imagine the Raiders D is probably bottom 3 in the league.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Just imagine, even Jon Gruden was quoted as saying, "this defense wasn't very good with Mack last year", so now imagine how bad they are WITHOUT MACK, now that we've seen the impact he's had on Chicago. I'd imagine the Raiders D is probably bottom 3 in the league.

Exactly.  And Despite that he still couldnt beat them.  But he is so "impressive" lol

Mayfield looked like the frantic mess he should have been vs. the Jets but the Jets just sit back and let him floss his teeth in the pocket while missing turnover opportunities on the fortunate plays they did create some confusion.

Nobody is talking about how great Mayfield was and him and his cell phone arent doing a post game Thurs night interview if the Jets recover his fumble or if Middleton holds on to an easy INT in the endzone.  In fact, the Jets are sitting 2-2 if either of those things happen.  They didnt and instead we had to hear about Mayfield the savior all week long until he went out and lost to the worst team in Football turning the ball over 4 times. 

Rookie QBs have ups and downs? GTFO. All rookie QB get those “ grave period” Gabe’s when nobody knows what to expect. Then the other teams get film on then and make a plan for them. 

Thats when we see what  they are made of. Good coaching, surrounding them with talent and providing a reasonable game plan helps. But, in the end you are what your record Says you are. I guess both game record and FFB record in a sense. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mayfield looked like the frantic mess he should have been vs. the Jets but the Jets just sit back and let him floss his teeth in the pocket while missing turnover opportunities on the fortunate plays they did create some confusion.

Nobody is talking about how great Mayfield was and him and his cell phone arent doing a post game Thurs night interview if the Jets recover his fumble or if Middleton holds on to an easy INT in the endzone.  In fact, the Jets are sitting 2-2 if either of those things happen.  They didnt and instead we had to hear about Mayfield the savior all week long until he went out and lost to the worst team in Football turning the ball over 4 times. 

That was sickening to watch. Baker has so much more QB experience than Sam, he has better weapons in Landry, Callaway, NJoku, Hyde, Chubb & a better oline. Let's see where we are in 2020, when Sam is Mayfields age now (23) after we fire Bowles & get someone in here to coach him up, an Oline worth a sh*t and some weapons other than Quincy. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Rookie QBs have ups and downs? GTFO. All rookie QB get those “ grave period” Gabe’s when nobody knows what to expect. Then the other teams get film on then and make a plan for them. 

Thats when we see what  they are made of. Good coaching, surrounding them with talent and providing a reasonable game plan helps. But, in the end you are what your record Says you are. I guess both game record and FFB record in a sense. 

Considering Darnold just spent a hot afternoon being chased around by what everyone considers the best defense in the league behind a sieve Oline & 1 decent WR in Q, you can't even compare Mayfield with a 200 yard running game facing easily a bottom 5 defense in Oakland.

Poor Sams lot in life right now with the Jets is looking eerily similar to David Carrs  time in Houston. The one thing in common with this is Casserly & Macc.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Baker is a glorified Kellen Clemens.  He won’t be as horrible as Manziel but he is not this second coming people here think he is

Sam is still the gem of last year’s draft and will have the best career.  Rosen will be second best

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Todd had us in the same soft umbrella zone coverage that Mangini did that helped Matt Cassell con a franchise out of $50 million and made DeDe Westbrook yesterday look like Jerry Rice in his prime

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

52 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker is a glorified Kellen Clemens.  He won’t be as horrible as Manziel but he is not this second coming people here think he is

Sam is still the gem of last year’s draft and will have the best career.  Rosen will be second best

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

They’re starting threads about how great he is

48 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Todd had us in the same soft umbrella zone coverage that Mangini did that helped Matt Cassell con a franchise out of $50 million and made DeDe Westbrook yesterday look like Jerry Rice in his prime

Nice to see you back around. Havent seen you around since before the Cleveland New York game. Lol

I guess we'll see you around the Mayfield convo agsin but not around the "jets oline is average" thread given how you hide face when the convo isnt in your favor. 

I guess the other thread you cant participate in is the Mahomes thread until he has a bad game of course. Lol. 

You troll well Phil. ???

@Philc1 made a statement so I figured I'd address that, and more. 

No, I dont think Mayfield having more turnovers than all of the other 3 rookie QB's who played yesterday "combined" is a good look for Mayfield. 

I do think that being the head of an offense that put up 42 points is great though, especially when the other 3 rookie QB's who played yesterday (Darnold, Allen, Rosen) accounted for 29 points combined. Those same 3 QB's offenses together were all outscored by Baker Mayfield's by a total of 13 points. I doubt Kellen Clemens has ever done that. 

I dont like the fact that Mayfield barely completed just 50% of his passes yesterday. I dont think that's a good look for Mayfield. 

I do think that being the starting QB for just 1.5 games of football, yet has led the offense on 12 drives that led to points scored is pretty good, especially when the QB who's started the longest, Sam Darnold has accounted for 15 drives that led to points scored, but has played in 4 games in comparison to just 6 quarters of football for Baker. 

No, I dont like the comparison of Sam Darnold to Mark Sanchez. I dont think i've ever even compared the two players Phil. I do like the Mayfield comparison, though not to Steve young, but another former 49er QB, Jeff Garcia. I think Mayfield can be a better version of Jeff Garcia in this league. 

I dont like that Mayfield turned the ball over 4 times. But I do like the fact that the 42 points that the Cleveland offense scored is the highest a QB making his 1st start has been part of since the NFL Merger, which was about 50 years ago. 

I dont think that Baker Mayfield is the "2nd coming" even though I do compare him to guys like Jeff Garcia and Drew Brees. However, I literally see posters of this forum with avatars that has Sam Darnold's face on the body of the Catholic version of Jesus Christ. I doubt that it's Villain acting like someone is the "2nd coming" of anything here when you put that into perspective...lets be serious. 

I dont like unsubstantiated hate that Mayfield receives, and as a byproduct of being a huge fan of him I receive....though I take it in stride given that it's unsubstantiated.

However, I also hate that folks wanted to suck for a quarterback as if the QB was the answer to all our problems...only to now have that QB and we still suck and all I hear now is "how many weapons" a team that has gone 1-31 over the past 2 seasons have and because of that how they're so much better than us. Na, I dont like that. Sounds like a bunch of bullsh*t actually. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

@Philc1 made a statement so I figured I'd address it. 

No, I dont think Mayfield having more turnovers than all of the other rookie 4 QB's who played yesterday "combined" is a good look for Mayfield. 

I do think that being the head of an offense that put up 42 points is great though, especially when the other 4 QB's who played yesterday accounted for 55 points combined. I like the fact that 4 other QB's only outscored Mayfield yesterday by a total of 13 points. I doubt Kellen Clemens has ever done that. 

I dont like the fact that Mayfield barely completed just 50% of his passes yesterday. I dont think that's a good look for Mayfield. 

I do think that being the starting QB for just 1.5 games of football, yet has led the offense on 12 drives that led to points scored is pretty good, especially when the QB who's started the longest, Sam Darnold has accounted for 17 drives that led to points scored, but has played in 4 games in comparison to just 6 quarters of football for Baker. 

No, I dont like the comparison of Sam Darnold to Mark Sanchez. I dont think i've ever even compared the two players Phil. I do like the comparison, not to Steve young, but a former 49er QB, Jeff Garcia. I think Mayfield can be a better version of Jeff Garcia in this league. 

I dont like that Mayfield turned the ball over 4 times. But I do like the fact that the 42 points that the Cleveland offense scored is the highest a QB making his 1st start has been part of since the NFL Merger. 

I dont think that Baker Mayfield is the "2nd coming" even though I do compare him to a guy like Jeff Garcia and Drew Brees. However, I literally see posters of this forum with avatars that has Sam Darnold's face on the body of the Catholic version of Jesus Christ. I doubt that it's villain acting like someone is the "2nd coming" of anything. 

I dont like unsubstantiated hate that Mayfield receives, and as a byproduct of being a huge fan of him I receive. However, I also hate that folks wanted to suck for a quarterback as if the QB was the answer to all our problems...only to now have that QB and we still suck and all I hear now is "how many weapons" a team that has gone 1-31 over the past 2 seasons have. Na, I dont like that. Sounds like a bunch of bullsh*t actually. 

He had 48 points . Don’t forget about that pick 6 lol 

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

That was sickening to watch. Baker has so much more QB experience than Sam, he has better weapons in Landry, Callaway, NJoku, Hyde, Chubb & a better oline. Let's see where we are in 2020, when Sam is Mayfields age now (23) after we fire Bowles & get someone in here to coach him up, an Oline worth a sh*t and some weapons other than Quincy. 

Exactly!! I think people forget just how young and inexperienced Sam is as a QB....hes only been playing the position for something like 4 years.Lets see how they stack up in two years when Sam will be the ripe old age of 23........exactly what Mayfield is right now.I think we made by far the best choice at QB....and he will end up being the most gifted at that position from this draft.

28 minutes ago, jetsman1 said:

Exactly!! I think people forget just how young and inexperienced Sam is as a QB....hes only been playing the position for something like 4 years.Lets see how they stack up in two years when Sam will be the ripe old age of 23........exactly what Mayfield is right now.I think we made by far the best choice at QB....and he will end up being the most gifted at that position from this draft.

Maybe this is why the Jets shouldnt have traded Bridgewater and instead let him start while sitting Darnold for the year. You can put a guy out on the field who is young, however, you cant put a guy who you feel is young and inexperienced out on the field. 

If that's the case then that only confirms that he was handed the position and didnt earn it. That's detrimental to the team which wouldnt be a surprise at all given this coaching staff/front office and them probably listening to the fanbase to play a guy who is too young and inexperience to play now, but has a ton of talent to work with and develop. 

As for the comparison, sure, Sam has the tools and once he gains the experience he'll be able to better utilize those tools, but that doesnt mean that Baker suddenly stops developing as well. I'd Take Todd Haley over anything that is around Sam Darnold right now in regards to QB development. Not only is Baker older, but he has more experienced. Sam played less than 2 full seasons in college. Mayfield's played 4 years over a 5 years span. That's experience acquired. Baker is older than Sam and began playing organized ball much earlier in his life than Sam. Not during anytime of the years that they were in College together were they similar in offensive output or accomplishment. What tells you or anyone that this will suddenly change in the pros...because he's a kid at the ripe old age of 21? 

Both can be good/great pros. It doesnt take one to be bad for the other to be great. The Jets need to worry about putting the right people around Sam before they squander this kids potential...because he IS young. Im talking real coaches, not a journeyman 40 year old QB you pay 10 million to in order to pat your rookie on the shoulderpads, say "good job", showing him how to handle the media along with what hair product to use.

Just because Baker looks like he'll be very good doesn't mean Darnold won't be as well.  I have to admit I'm interested in watching Browns games going forward.  Baker is a fun player to watch (not to mention I might have a bet on the Browns).

The one negative I've seen on Baker is that it looks like he fumbles quite a bit when he gets hit.  Other than that, though, I think he looks like he could be a heck of a QB. 

I'm already eating crow on this topic btw because I wasn't very high on the guy before the draft.  I remember hearing a scout say he had a great OL in college and his receivers were often shockingly wide open (far more than the other 3 QBs), which I thought explained his completion percentage.  

Archived