Baker Mayfield is Awesome

Dcronin

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Baker wasn't "careless" with the ball the way you're narrating it. 

The Center botching a handoff isnt Baker Mayfield being careless with the football, 

Baker throwing a pass to an open target who slips on the turf, gets two hands on the ball and the ball hits his hands and lands in a defenders hands isnt Baker being careless with the football. 

Baker having his Right Tackle pushed into him while he's preparing the throw the football on a 3 step drop is unfortunate. 

Baker throwing a pick by being overly aggressive when he had 40 seconds left on the clock and a timeout is being careless with the football. 

Sam Darnold looked more comfortable vs the Lions because he no longer had to deal with Ziggy Ansah who suffered a Shoulder injury in the 1st quarter and was out for the rest of the game. However, on the few snaps that he was in the game, Beachum and Carpenter could not handle the twists that Ziggy and the DT was doing on the left side of that line. Ziggy actually sacked Darnold on one of those plays. 

Or is this statement ^^^^^ not factual? 

The Jets were able to run the ball on against the Lions because the Lions looked poor at every phase of the game. The Jets scored on offense via passing and rushing, the Jets scored on defense and the Jets scored on special teams. Lets keep in mind that the Jets had about 5 turnovers as well. 

Baker and the Browns offense put up 42 points in a losing effort, but didn't receive any points from his special teams or defense. 

11F7F825-CF4D-48EE-B295-6651A92C894F.jpeg

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's cool, plenty of other threads in which to note things in. And im not trying to dismiss you, but I just dont know what you want me to say to that. 

We're talking about it. Why even participate in the conversation then? honest question. 

I pointed out that your commentary (specifically, your link between Mayfield’s presence and Cleveland’s suddenly improved running game) was premature, and probabaly meaningless, since Mayfield has only played 6 quarters, 4 of which were against one of the worst defenses in football. 

That’s why I participated in the conversation. 

On 9/30/2018 at 6:12 PM, Grandy said:

If Darnold had quality playcalling, and support like Baker does I think he plays just as good if not better than him. Most people forget Sam was just about the unanimous #1 draft QB and regarded as the best since Luck. Nothing has magically changed.

What the Browns did right was have Mayfield sit to start the season and come in off the bench when the incumbent faltered.  No pressure on him, just come in and let it fly.  Darnold was anointed the savior and walked into a season with the weight of NYC on his shoulders.  Bad job managing the kid.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:45 AM, Jets723 said:

I’ve been following it.  It’s fine that he is a major big time Baker fan but we are being pretty honest.  We aren’t saying he is a bust.  He has shown some good things and some bad things.  

What havent I acknowledged? 

Me being a major Baker fan doesnt mean that I need to wear rose colored glasses when talking about him. If he had a bad game I would easily say it. 

Im sitting here reading folks not admit that his turnovers werent as egregious as being advertise, as well as his completion percentage. 

If I bring up the fact that the pick 6 was a dropped pass and one of the fumbles was a botched snap by the center, what is wrong with doing that if it's indeed the truth? 

If I acknowledge that Baker had a 50% completion percentage, but I state that 8 of his passes were clear drops, what is wrong with doing that if it's indeed the truth? 

I never said that anyone here said that he's a bust. It would be ridiculous to make an assumption, especially after we all witnessed Jared Goffs 1st season. 

Me sitting here stating this kid is the greatest thing in the NFL would be ridiculous after we all seen how Dak Prescott started his career relative to today. 

So I ask you, what are you following that give the indication that im not accepting the stats or the loss? All im doing is putting the loss and stats into context given that this is a forum where we conversate about the sport. 

He showed good things and bad things. Yes he did, but he showed much more good than he did bad.  In order to explain those things I needed a level of detail. So for example, I broke down the turnovers, I showed how 2 were out of his hands, one was an unfortunate situation and another was him being careless with the football. 

The fact is this. If it's clear that 4 turnovers werent him being careless, yet you see someone saying how he was careless with the football while pointing directly at those 4 turnovers, then you should show why it wasnt what they claim. 

If it's clear that 50% completion also contains 9 dropped passes, yet you see someone saying how he had a terrible game while using the completion percentage, then you should show why it wasnt what they claim. Folks say that "everyone deals with drops" and that's true. QB's dont normally deal with 8 drops in a game though. There's the context that folks keep ignoring, because they're too busy trying to make Darnold out to be in such an inferior position team wise. They have to make it seem like the Cleveland team/targets are so much better....but when you show them 8 drops they dont want to deal with that. 

That's what I did. 

If im lying about the botched fumble by the Center, the dropped pass by Callaway and the 8 passes dropped then please, prove me a liar. I've been in this thread and no one has shown that my statements are not true, all they've done was dismiss them, and run with agenda based narratives (Not you specifically). 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I pointed out that your commentary (specifically, your link between Mayfield’s presence and Cleveland’s suddenly improved running game) was premature, and probabaly meaningless, since Mayfield has only played 6 quarters, 4 of which were against one of the worst defenses in football. 

That’s why I participated in the conversation. 

It could be premature and probably meaningless. But since Tyrod will most likely stay on the bench, I would bet that if this running game continues to be better than what it was during the Steelers and the Saints, that my commentary wasnt as premature and meaningless as you would suggest. 

Good conversation. 

8 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

What the Browns did right was have Mayfield sit to start the season and come in off the bench when the incumbent faltered.  No pressure on him, just come in and let it fly.  Darnold was anointed the savior and walked into a season with the weight of NYC on his shoulders.  Bad job managing the kid.

Folks like myself felt like easing this 21 year old kid with just just 4 years of experience into the league properly was paramount. I expressed how keeping Bridgewater was more important than a 3rd round pick because it wasnt just about holding then losing him for a year, but more about letting Darnold develop for a year. 

Folks got pissy, said that the perspective was stupid, that im just a Baker Mayfield fan and obviously from Darnold's performance from the preseason he's ready. Same folks who would call defenses in the preseason "Vanilla defenses". 

I can only shrug my shoulders. 

And to be clear, it's not on Darnold as if "he's" bad. But he's in a bad situation that a 21 year old kid with only 4 years experience shouldnt be experiencing. Give that situation to a Bridgewater in order for Darnold to see a veteran handle terrible situations. 

Hopefully Macc is gone next year so that 3rd round pick we got for Bridge isnt squandered on a bum. 

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What havent I acknowledged? 

Me being a major Baker fan doesnt mean that I need to wear rose colored glasses when talking about him. If he had a bad game I would easily say it. 

Im sitting here reading folks not admit that his turnovers werent as egregious as being advertise, as well as his completion percentage. 

If I bring up the fact that the pick 6 was a dropped pass and one of the fumbles was a botched snap by the center, what is wrong with doing that if it's indeed the truth? 

If I acknowledge that Baker had a 50% completion percentage, but I state that 8 of his passes were clear drops, what is wrong with doing that if it's indeed the truth? 

I never said that anyone here said that he's a bust. It would be ridiculous to make an assumption, especially after we all witnessed Jared Goffs 1st season. 

Me sitting here stating this kid is the greatest thing in the NFL would be ridiculous after we all seen how Dak Prescott started his career relative to today. 

So I ask you, what are you following that give the indication that im not accepting the stats or the loss? All im doing is putting the loss and stats into context given that this is a forum where we conversate about the sport. 

He showed good things and bad things. Yes he did, but he showed much more good than he did bad.  In order to explain those things I needed a level of detail. So for example, I broke down the turnovers, I showed how 2 were out of his hands, one was an unfortunate situation and another was him being careless with the football. 

The fact is this. If it's clear that 4 turnovers werent him being careless, yet you see someone saying how he was careless with the football while pointing directly at those 4 turnovers, then you should show why it wasnt what they claim. 

If it's clear that 50% completion also contains 8 dropped passes, yet you see someone saying how he had a terrible game while using the completion percentage, then you should show why it wasnt what they claim. 

That's what I did. 

If im lying about the botched fumble by the Center, the dropped pass by Callaway and the 8 passes dropped then please, prove me a liar. I've been in this thread and no one has shown that my statements are not true, all they've done was dismiss them, and run with agenda based narratives (Not you specifically). 

But you kinda are kinda wearing rose colored glasses. He didnt have a real bad game but certainly not a good game.  Medicore is more accurate

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

It's becoming meaningful to you. Your level of engagement indicates that. 

You’re conflating issues here.

It’s meaningful to me to point out how silly it is to correlate Baker Mayfield with Cleveland’s improved running game after 6 quarters of football.

Your point is what is likely to be meaningless.

You understand? 

32 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You’re conflating issues here.

It’s meaningful to me to point out how silly it is to correlate Baker Mayfield with Cleveland’s improved running game after 6 quarters of football.

Your point is what is likely to be meaningless.

You understand? 

No one is confusing anything. I had said "Good Conversation" indicating that both sides heard one another and its time to move on. The fact that you kept responding made me post that this is meaningful to you "specifically" given what your actions show it (not letting it go after I said good convo). then you write this pompous crap above thinking you're dropping jewels when in reality I politely ended the conversation close to an hour ago, yet you're too stuck on it. 

Good convo. You understand....now? 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No one is confusing anything. I've said "Good Conversation" indicating that both sides heard one another and its time to move on. The fact that you kept responding made me post that this is meaning to you "specifically" given what your actions show it (not letting it go after I said good convo). then you right this pompous crap above thinking you're dropping jewels when in reality I politely ended the conversation close to an hour ago, yet you're too stuck on it. 

Good convo. You understan now 

You’re still confused. 

Highlighting poor arguments is an interest of mine. It’s something I enjoy. It’s meaningful to me.

On the other hand, your preposterously premature correlation between Baker Mayfield and the performance of his team’s running game, is probably meaningless. 

Understand yet? 

The guy has played a total of 6 quarters and he’s turned the ball over 4 times and could’ve easily turned it over 3 more times against the Jets (strip sack and two would-be INT’s).

I’m still not seeing what is making everyone go gaga over this kid. I guess it’s just the underdog thing. People love the undersized “try hard” guys who play with a big chip on their shoulder.

I had him as my 4th QB behind Darnold, Rosen and Allen. So far, nothing has changed.

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You’re still confused. 

Highlighting poor arguments is an interest of mine. It’s something I enjoy. It’s meaningful to me.

On the other hand, your preposterously premature correlation between Baker Mayfield and the performance of his team’s running game, is probably meaningless. 

Understand yet? 

Tldr

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

And there it is 

I've followed OU football for years. 

In January 2016, I 1st to mentioned Mayfield on the forum in the NFL draft section of this forum. 

What you're saying "and there it is" to, is something folks knew for years regarding me and this draft class. You're new so ill extent you a pardon for the ignorance.

It's always been "there". You're just new around here.

Good conversation. 

Alright guys, again...back after week 5!

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The guy has played a total of 6 quarters and he’s turned the ball over 4 times and could’ve easily turned it over 3 more times against the Jets (strip sack and two would-be INT’s)

Football is such a game of inches. Imagine if  either the Jets recover the strip sack or catch that pick in the endzone? 

As it is, the dude had more turnovers in his first career start than Darnold has had in any one of his four games. 

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Something special about all of the Glennon/Baker/Geno-Fitz threads on JN.

The only place I’ve seen more long-winded, petty, emotional bickering is when I catch my wife watching an episode of the Kardashians.

The Baker threads are special because we have never seen so many people so certain a college qb would go to the nfl and become not only good but top 5 of all time

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The only place I’ve seen more long-winded, petty, emotional bickering is when I catch my wife watching an episode of the Kardashians.

No, no, no darling....this is SO much better!  Kardashians are trash, can't sink lower than that gutter, but this is grown men, valiant and noble, some woman's god......sharpening their swords sparring over their QB hero, and who is the mightiest!

Embrace your feminine side!  ?

Before the buttfumbles come raining down on me......this post is 100% tongue-in-cheek.  At least, that's what I'm admitting to.

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You know whats special? Folks who find a way to participate while portraying that they're above such pettiness, like watching a bunch of whores do whore sh*t on television...then talk about how stupid the show is after sitting through every episode lol.

You secretly like that sh*t, be honest. 

Archived