Baker Mayfield is Awesome

Dcronin

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You know whats special? Folks who find a way to participate while portraying that they're above such pettiness, like watching a bunch of whores doing whore sh*t on television...then talk about how stupid the show is after sitting through every episode lol.

You secretly like that sh*t, be honest. 

wanna make sure i'm doing this right.

tldr

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Great way to participate. That's the spirit.

?

"tldr" was your exact response to another poster, so I thought that post was participating in exactly the spirit of this thread.

You want a real explanation? Fine. Just like with all the other threads about your beloved QBs of the moment, I simply click in every once in a while to see if it's worth going through, and more often than not, they aren't so I'll stay out. I don't participate in most of them because yes, I am above it.

Pre-draft I participated in one of your Baker threads and you and I had a pretty good exchange about why I didn't want to spend a 3rd overall on Baker. I agreed with you that Baker would have a solid, long career, but that I had doubts about a couple of things that led me to want to stay away from him in favor of someone with a higher ceiling. You didn't necessarily agree with my points but you respected them because I was talking about points in an adult fashion. All of that is to prove that when I say I'm above it, I just mean I'm not going to get into the pettiness, not above the topics.

The reason this one particularly pissed me off is because I caught earlier in the thread that you replied to another poster that you are fully invested in Baker Mayfield as the browns QB and are actively rooting for him. To me, that's extremely offputting because we have our own potential FQB from the same draft that you should be invested in. If you're fully invested in another team's QB, you have nothing left to invest in the Jets QB.

This thread, just like the Mahomes thread, is less about the actual QBs, and more about one or two posters who need the attention and/or validation from anonymous internet posters for "being right" about a QB 4 or 5 weeks into their starting career. To me, your Baker fandom and this thread belong on a Browns forum because it's off-putting that a "Jets" fan is backing another team's QB with all of his fandom.

That's where my aggressive initial post came from.

13 hours ago, Jets723 said:

But you kinda are kinda wearing rose colored glasses. He didnt have a real bad game but certainly not a good game.  Medicore is more accurate

Notice how he he's had 20 different essay's and still refuses acknowledge the crux of the debate while repeating the same sh*t over and over and over again that we've already acknowledged from him?

It's a bold tactic but it's see through and submission has been accomplished. 

The thing I notice about Mayfield is how desperate folks around the sports world are to anoint him. We've actually had guys in the sports media over the past couple of days fawning over his performance in a game in which he turned the ball over 4 times and threw a terrible interception at the end of regulation. 

I think Mayfield is going to be good, but I find the national infatuation with him to be a bit bizarre. Is it because he's a tad bit short? Is it his personality? Does it really come down to beating the Jets? The week before, they were a hair away from beating the Saints in New Orleans with Taylor, which IMO, is not much less impressive than barely beating the Jets at home. What, exactly, is the deal here? 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

"tldr" was your exact response to another poster, so I thought that post was participating in exactly the spirit of this thread.

You want a real explanation? Fine. Just like with all the other threads about your beloved QBs of the moment, I simply click in every once in a while to see if it's worth going through, and more often than not, they aren't so I'll stay out. I don't participate in most of them because yes, I am above it.

Pre-draft I participated in one of your Baker threads and you and I had a pretty good exchange about why I didn't want to spend a 3rd overall on Baker. I agreed with you that Baker would have a solid, long career, but that I had doubts about a couple of things that led me to want to stay away from him in favor of someone with a higher ceiling. You didn't necessarily agree with my points but you respected them because I was talking about points in an adult fashion. All of that is to prove that when I say I'm above it, I just mean I'm not going to get into the pettiness, not above the topics.

The reason this one particularly pissed me off is because I caught earlier in the thread that you replied to another poster that you are fully invested in Baker Mayfield as the browns QB and are actively rooting for him. To me, that's extremely offputting because we have our own potential FQB from the same draft that you should be invested in. If you're fully invested in another team's QB, you have nothing left to invest in the Jets QB.

This thread, just like the Mahomes thread, is less about the actual QBs, and more about one or two posters who need the attention and/or validation from anonymous internet posters for "being right" about a QB 4 or 5 weeks into their starting career. To me, your Baker fandom and this thread belong on a Browns forum because it's off-putting that a "Jets" fan is backing another team's QB with all of his fandom.

That's where my aggressive initial post came from.

Tldr.

?

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The thing I notice about Mayfield is how desperate folks around the sports world are to anoint him. We've actually had guys in the sports media over the past couple of days fawning over his performance in a game in which he turned the ball over 4 times and threw a terrible interception at the end of regulation. 

I think Mayfield is going to be good, but I find the national infatuation with him to be a bit bizarre. Is it because he's a tad bit short? Is it his personality? Does it really come down to beating the Jets? The week before, they were a hair away from beating the Saints in New Orleans with Taylor, which IMO, is not much less impressive than barely beating the Jets at home. What, exactly, is the deal here? 

Mayfield brings a lot of off the field sizzle because he has a Manziel-type of persona which the NFL and the media want right now to distract from Kaepernick and games being all offense now

I was watching the rams Vikings game the other night it was the most boring football game I had watched ever and I endured the 1995-1996 Kotite Jet years

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Meh, don't put too much stock into folks that spend 10,000 words on a Jets forum to anoint Baker, when those same folks have spent 10,000 words in the past on a Jets forum anointing glennon, geno, and a guy who's never even played a snap in the NFL named bercovici (sp?). "I seen it."

Soon there will be another QB, and we'll all have to endure the same emotional, petty ramblings again.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Meh, don't put too much stock into folks that spend 10,000 words on a Jets forum to anoint Baker, when those same folks have spent 10,000 words in the past on a Jets forum anointing glennon, geno, and a guy who's never even played a snap in the NFL named bercovici (sp?). "I seen it."

Soon there will be another QB, and we'll all have to endure the same emotional, petty ramblings again.

Like I said. Folks simply are trying to find a way to participate while portraying themselves to be above the pettiness. 

You're only lying to yourself. lol. When you're having dinner tonight, enjoy your show. lol. 

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The Baker lovers thought Hack and Petty had potential and were upset we didn’t draft Paxton Lynch. All you need to know

Looking at the numbers they are pretty comparable. Darnold played more games, which means had Mayfield played the same amount of games his numbers could be better or they could be worse, obviously. I think the Jets O-line has played a lot worse than the Browns O-line so far. Does that really matter, I dunno, it might. Darnold has more INTs but he also has more TDs and less fumbles. Darnold has more passing yards but he also has a lot more attempts. 

Bottom line, looking at these numbers it's too close to make any kind of legitimate comparisons right now. Both guys look really good for rookies, IMO. Both Darnold and Mayfield look like they are ready to start in the NFL. Who will end up being the better player? Who will end up having the better season? Time will tell.                    

Baker Mayfield:  38-cmp

64-att  496-yrds 59.4-CMP% 7.75-AVG 2-TD 59-LNG 2-INT 3-FUM   81.3-RAT
Sam Darnold:  73-cmp 127-att 868-yrds 57.5-CMP% 6.84-AVG 4-TD 44-LNG 5-INT 1-FUM   72.6- RAT

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Looking at the numbers they are pretty comparable. Darnold played more games, which means had Mayfield played the same amount of games his numbers could be better or they could be worse, obviously. I think the Jets O-line has played a lot worse than the Browns O-line so far. Does that really matter, I dunno, it might. Darnold has more INTs but he also has more TDs and less fumbles. Darnold has more passing yards but he also has a lot more attempts. 

Bottom line, looking at these numbers it's too close to make any kind of legitimate comparisons right now. Both guys look really good for rookies, IMO. Both Darnold and Mayfield look like they are ready to start in the NFL. Who will end up being the better player? Who will end up having the better season? Time will tell.                    

Baker Mayfield:  38-cmp

64-att  496-yrds 59.4-CMP% 7.75-AVG 2-TD 59-LNG 2-INT 3-FUM   81.3-RAT
Sam Darnold:  73-cmp 127-att 868-yrds 57.5-CMP% 6.84-AVG 4-TD 44-LNG 5-INT 1-FUM   72.6- RAT

A factor that I look at when evaluating qb's is their ability to head a scoring drive. Can they go on the field and put themselves in position to come away with points.

Mayfield has 12 scoring drives in 6 quarters of play. Mayfield heads an average of 8 scoring drives per game.

Darnold has 17 in 4 games of play. Darnold heads an average of 4.25 scoring drives per game. 

Baker has 5 passes of +20 and 2 passes of +40. On average Mayfield is throwing 3.33 passes of +20 and 1.33 passes of 40+ per game. 

Darnold has 11 passes of +20 and 3 passes of +40. On average Darnold is throwing 2.75 passes of +20 and 0.75 passes of 40+ per game. 

This is actually quite impressive for Darnold given the crappy ass offensive scheme by Jeremy Bates, a scheme that would more often than not Darnold throw a screen on 3rd and 11. 

Baker is 12th in "Yards per pass thrown" Darnold is 26th. Again, I'd relate this to Bates playcalling why Darnold is so low. 

Darnold ranks 22nd in "total pass yards" with 868, Mayfield is 31st with 496. On average Darnold is at 217 yards per game, which would be ranked in the 20's, while Mayfield is at 330 yards per game which would put him top 5 in the league. 

Darnold has 127 pass attempts which would average out to be 31.75 pass attempts per game, Mayfield has 64 pass attempts which averages out to 42 pass attempts per game. 

Darnold has been sacked 10 times which averages to 2.5 sacks per game, Mayfield has 3 sacks which averages out to 2 sacks per game. 

Darnold has 1 fumble in 4 games, Mayfield has 3 fumbles in 1.5 games. Darnold is much more secure with the football 

What stands out best for Darnold positively is his ability to overcome the incompetency that is his OC and offensive line in order to produce what he's produced as well as maintained security of the ball though being top 10 in sacks (given that offensive line). Darnold is also having to fight back from pre-snap penalties by the online such as "false starts". The guy is constantly starting behind the 8 ball but tends to give the offense a chance from an individual perspective. 

What stands out best for Baker positively is his ability to establish scoring drives while being efficient when it comes to 3rd and 4th down conversions. His completion percentage would be much higher if those registered 9 pass drops were caught in the Raiders game by his receivers were conversions. This scoring drive stat is definitely real. Besides comparing it to Darnold, in 3.5 games of action Tyrod Taylor had just 7 scoring drives. Mayfield has almost doubled that already. And it reflects in the scorebox. The Browns havent scored 40+ points in a game since 2007. 

What stands out for Darnold negatively is his inaccuracy and lapse in decision making. Darnold's ball placement, even on catches tend to be a negative when it comes to YAC. Also, given the constant pressure he has thrown quite a few passes that could have been picked. The immediate pressure is understandable, but if the ball leaves his hands it must be because he's making a good decision, not risking a turnover. 

What stands out negatively for Mayfield is very easy to see. Mayfield was never known to be a turnover-prone QB. Yet he's thrown 2 INT's, 1 INT that was dropped in the Jets game, and he already has multiple fumbles. Mayfield has been highly efficient in terms of pushing the drive down field and putting his team into scoring position, but turnovers can negate scoring drives as well as turn momentum. What's the point of scoring 42 points in your first ever start, which is an NFL record, when your 4 turnovers contributed to a loss? 

Both QB's are fine. 

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The Baker lovers thought Hack and Petty had potential and were upset we didn’t draft Paxton Lynch. All you need to know

All I need to know is this Baker lover has also loved a bunch of other sh*tty QBs and always posts long winded, emotional, completely irrational bs to argue about it. Eventually he realizes he's wrong and rambling, and that's where the "tldr" posts start, even though we all know that his entire life revolves around reading and watching every single thing about his beloved QBs and then arguing about it on JN. So essentially, every time he responds to someone with "tldr", you can be sure of two things: (1) he's damn well read it and it cuts him deep, (2) you know you've already won whatever petty argument he's trying to pull you into.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:25 PM, slimjasi said:

I think he's just a polarizing controversial figure. For everyone who wants to anoint him there are lots that hate on him hard (see Cowherd, Darnold Stan.)

Because of his incredible college success and cocky demeanor he has natural supporters and detractors. It's not as much fun to waive the flag for or against a guy who says all the right things as it is for a crotch grabbing flag planter overlooked due to his height.

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

A factor that I look at when evaluating qb's is their ability to head a scoring drive. Can they go on the field and put themselves in position to come away with points.

Mayfield has 12 scoring drives in 6 quarters of play. Mayfield heads an average of 8 scoring drives per game.

Darnold has 17 in 4 games of play. Darnold heads an average of 4.25 scoring drives per game. 

Baker has 5 passes of +20 and 2 passes of +40. On average Mayfield is throwing 3.33 passes of +20 and 1.33 passes of 40+ per game. 

Darnold has 11 passes of +20 and 3 passes of +40. On average Darnold is throwing 2.75 passes of +20 and 0.75 passes of 40+ per game. 

This is actually quite impressive for Darnold given the crappy ass offensive scheme by Jeremy Bates, a scheme that would more often than not Darnold throw a screen on 3rd and 11. 

Baker is 12th in "Yards per pass thrown" Darnold is 26th. Again, I'd relate this to Bates playcalling why Darnold is so low. 

Darnold ranks 22nd in "total pass yards" with 868, Mayfield is 31st with 496. On average Darnold is at 217 yards per game, which would be ranked in the 20's, while Mayfield is at 330 yards per game which would put him top 5 in the league. 

Darnold has 127 pass attempts which would average out to be 31.75 pass attempts per game, Mayfield has 64 pass attempts which averages out to 42 pass attempts per game. 

Darnold has been sacked 10 times which averages to 2.5 sacks per game, Mayfield has 3 sacks which averages out to 2 sacks per game. 

Darnold has 1 fumble in 4 games, Mayfield has 3 fumbles in 1.5 games. Darnold is much more secure with the football 

What stands out best for Darnold positively is his ability to overcome the incompetency that is his OC and offensive line in order to produce what he's produced as well as maintained security of the ball though being top 10 in sacks (given that offensive line). Darnold is also having to fight back from pre-snap penalties by the online such as "false starts". The guy is constantly starting behind the 8 ball but tends to give the offense a chance from an individual perspective. 

What stands out best for Baker positively is his ability to establish scoring drives while being efficient when it comes to 3rd and 4th down conversions. His completion percentage would be much higher if those registered 9 pass drops were caught in the Raiders game by his receivers were conversions. This scoring drive stat is definitely real. Besides comparing it to Darnold, in 3.5 games of action Tyrod Taylor had just 7 scoring drives. Mayfield has almost doubled that already. And it reflects in the scorebox. The Browns havent scored 40+ points in a game since 2007. 

What stands out for Darnold negatively is his inaccuracy and lapse in decision making. Darnold's ball placement, even on catches tend to be a negative when it comes to YAC. Also, given the constant pressure he has thrown quite a few passes that could have been picked. The immediate pressure is understandable, but if the ball leaves his hands it must be because he's making a good decision, not risking a turnover. 

What stands out negatively for Mayfield is very easy to see. Mayfield was never known to be a turnover-prone QB. Yet he's thrown 2 INT's, 1 INT that was dropped in the Jets game, and he already has multiple fumbles. Mayfield has been highly efficient in terms of pushing the drive down field and putting his team into scoring position, but turnovers can negate scoring drives as well as turn momentum. What's the point of scoring 42 points in your first ever start, which is an NFL record, when your 4 turnovers contributed to a loss? 

Both QB's are fine. 

Nice post. 

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I think Mr. Villian loves playing with y’all....like a cat with a mouse.

This. Its to the point where folks interrupt watching their Kardashians in order to indirectly talk about me to other folks who are indirectly talking about me. 

They take calling me a Baker lover waaaaay too seriously.

Funny thing, they're on the same forum and in this thread as often as me. ?

They hate Villain as much as Villain loves Baker.

Difference is, they spend more time speaking about Villain than Villain spends speaking about Baker. The comments aren't even about football anymore. lol. 

Their hate is really love tho. It requires the same heart strings.

P.s. this comment is the cheese lol

5 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I’m betting on my boy.....maybe not with the Jets though.....

Certainly not with these Jets. Hopefully they make some changes after this year. Sadly he will be stuck here for a minimum of four years. So you know, I was actually referring to this year when I made the comment.

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Certainly not with these Jets. Hopefully they make some changes after this year. Sadly he will be stuck here for a minimum of four years. So you know, I was actually referring to this year when I made the comment.

I think the fans and franchise will give up on him, not to mention a new coaching staff may want their own guy.  It’s happened before.  

It’s not like college where the player picks the school.

40 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I think the fans and franchise will give up on him, not to mention a new coaching staff may want their own guy.  It’s happened before.  

It’s not like college where the player picks the school.

New coaching staff will want their own guy? Man I'm the dumbest guy here then. I was hoping because Sam was here some coach would come here thinking he can win with him. Yikes, Its worst than I thought. Hurry! Somebody feed me!

11 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

All I need to know is this Baker lover has also loved a bunch of other sh*tty QBs and always posts long winded, emotional, completely irrational bs to argue about it. Eventually he realizes he's wrong and rambling, and that's where the "tldr" posts start, even though we all know that his entire life revolves around reading and watching every single thing about his beloved QBs and then arguing about it on JN. So essentially, every time he responds to someone with "tldr", you can be sure of two things: (1) he's damn well read it and it cuts him deep, (2) you know you've already won whatever petty argument he's trying to pull you into.

I don’t mind Villain at least he sticks with it.  The other members of the Baker Army are AWOL until he faces another crappy defense maybe Tampa in a couple weeks

Archived