Two Brief Observations

Warfish

1. This team looks like a very bad team that just hired it's new GM and Head Coach.  Four years in, we look just as talentless, just as undisciplined, just as poorly designed and just as ineffective as a truly bad team the day they hand it over to a new regime to start a new era.  Four years in, we're materially worse than the day this current regime took power.  Every day we watch this team , it''s worse than the last time we watched it. Think about that for a while.

2. Sam Darnold looks exactly like I remember Patrick Ramsey looking in his first play as a Washington Redskins,  Clear talent, but the happiest happy feet in the pocket I've ever seen, dancing in the pocket like he's literally got a personal recording of the Bee Gee's greatest hits on in his QB radio helmet.  He jumps and dances his way out of the pocket just thinking about the idea of pressure.  He looks terrified back there, literally.  This is two things, and the ratio will determine much of his future.  Part is this horror show of an O-line (sod off Sabremetrics losers who think new math proves they don't suck) showing what half a decade of total non-investment looks like.  The other is Darnold natural dancing happy feet, the most striking things from his first four starts.  We had all better hope it's more the former, and not the later.

Right now, this team, including Darnold, isn't worth watching, isn't worth the investment of three hours of valuable life time. 

I truly hope they do something to change that soon.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. This team looks like a very bad team that just hired it's new GM and Head Coach.  Four years in, we look just as talentless, just as undisciplined, just as poorly designed and just as ineffective as a truly bad team the day they hand it over to a new regime to start a new era.  Four years in, we're materially worse than the day this current regime took power.  Every day we watch this team , it''s worse than the last time we watched it. Think about that for a while.

2. Sam Darnold looks exactly like I remember Patrick Ramsey looking in his first play as a Washington Redskins,  Clear talent, but the happiest happy feet in the pocket I've ever seen, dancing in the pocket like he's literally got a personal recording of the Bee Gee's greatest hits on in his QB radio helmet.  He jumps and dances his way out of the pocket just thinking about the idea of pressure.  He looks terrified back there, literally.  This is two things, and the ratio will determine much of his future.  Part is this horror show of an O-line (sod off Sabremetrics losers who think new math proves they don't suck) showing what half a decade of total non-investment looks like.  The other is Darnold natural dancing happy feet.  We had all better hope it's more the former, and not the later.

Right now, this team, including Darnold, isn't worth watching, isn't worth the investment of three hours of valuable life time. 

The two best players on offense were drafted before mccags arrived (enunwa and Powell) and the OL flat out sucks.  The amount of draft picks and $$ invested in the defense has crippled this offense and it was unrealistic for a 21 yr old rookie qb to salvage it.  Most pass plays darnold is running for his life and the ‘happy feet’ weren’t there nearly as much vs the lions.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

giphy.gif

2. Sam Darnold looks exactly like I remember Patrick Ramsey looking in his first play as a Washington Redskins,  Clear talent, but the happiest happy feet in the pocket I've ever seen, dancing in the pocket like he's literally got a personal recording of the Bee Gee's greatest hits on in his QB radio helmet.  He jumps and dances his way out of the pocket just thinking about the idea of pressure.  He looks terrified back there, literally.  This is two things, and the ratio will determine much of his future.  Part is this horror show of an O-line (sod off Sabremetrics losers who think new math proves they don't suck) showing what half a decade of total non-investment looks like.  The other is Darnold natural dancing happy feet.  We had all better hope it's more the former, and not the later.

He didn't start the season with happy feet, but I agree... it's become a sloppy mess. By the middle of game 2, he was running away from center rather than dropping back. Browns game made it worse. Today, he was to footwork what Hackenburg was to throwing mechanics. A mess.

What we've seen, basically, is exactly what many of us said was at risk. Play a 21-year old behind a swiss cheese OL, and you risk a breakdown in mechanics, patience, and confidence. The script has been: run, run, pass, punt. Let the opponent grab a lead, then put Sam in obvious passing situations, ask him to save us, and let him get bombarded with NFL pass rushers.

All we can hope for at this point is that the next regime builds from the trenches out, and that Sam's footwork becomes more like Peyton Manning's, where they are constantly moving, but in order to get set for a throw.... not run for his life.

I'm basically watching at this point, to figure out how unfixable he's going to be so I can set realistic expectations next year.

The happy feet is darnold a style... he has ALWAYS had “happy feet”. You know who also had happy feet- Peyton Manning. It has nothing to do with him being panicked... I didn’t see darnold missing open throws or panicking... I saw him trying to make something out of nothing...

Just now, nico002 said:

The happy feet is darnold a style... he has ALWAYS had “happy feet”. You know who also had happy feet- Peyton Manning. It has nothing to do with him being panicked... I didn’t see darnold missing open throws or panicking... I saw him trying to make something out of nothing...

This is what happens when your defense gives up points on the first 3 possessions and your offensive line sucks.  The rookie qb is running for his life and tries to overcompensate for the rest of the team’s struggles.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

This is what happens when your defense gives up points on the first 3 possessions and your offensive line sucks.  The rookie qb is running for his life and tries to overcompensate for the rest of the team’s struggles.  

Yes he’s trying to make something happen but to me he looks as comfortable as someone could in these “pockets”. Again, darnold has always had happy feet footwork... it’s just his style 

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2. Sam Darnold looks exactly like I remember Patrick Ramsey looking in his first play as a Washington Redskins,  Clear talent, but the happiest happy feet in the pocket I've ever seen, dancing in the pocket like he's literally got a personal recording of the Bee Gee's greatest hits on in his QB radio helmet.  He jumps and dances his way out of the pocket just thinking about the idea of pressure.  He looks terrified back there, literally.  This is two things, and the ratio will determine much of his future.  Part is this horror show of an O-line (sod off Sabremetrics losers who think new math proves they don't suck) showing what half a decade of total non-investment looks like.  The other is Darnold natural dancing happy feet, the most striking things from his first four starts.  We had all better hope it's more the former, and not the later.

A lot of people were worried about him getting happy feet. You can’t get pressured all the time especially as a rookie without it happening. 

Guys let me explain something to you

”happy feet” implies that a qb is quick to leave a clean pocket or rushes throws because he is afraid of the rush 

darnold has very active footwork that can look panicked... but he seems in control to me. If anything he is sitting in the “pocket” a little to long trying to make something happen. Peyton Manning had the same happy feet style.. 

One of Darnold's gifts is that he 'feels pressure' rather than waiting to see it and can make plays on the move. 

I think we want Darnold moving the pocket and resetting his feet, those are strengths - though I do fear we are overdoing the bootlegs because we basically are running on first down (to no effect) every series and then putting him into third and long bootlegs or empty sets everytime and he isn't able to get comfortable in pocket that way to begin with. 

That said, today is tough on him - what could have been his three biggest throws were for not - great connections with Herndon and Enunwa after alluding pressure lost to penalties... And Enunwa dropping on 4th down. (Could he have thrown pics, sure? But those prior plays could have happened too and we might have scored or had extended drives on them, on the balance he was 50% today with a td, which is prob avg in the league against this defense).

Bummed he missed Robbie over the top, but glad we heat checked and hope we do so again soon and earlier in game.

3 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

Sam missed Robbie by an inch and then Herdon by an inch. He hits those throws we win and this board is ? different ?

He got the ball to Herndon while getting hit. Was just called back due to a penalty.

Maybe referring to the Powell overthrow? 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Darnold has played lousy, but lets not act like after four games he is a lost cause.

Even established QBs would have looked bad today against that defense with no running game and an oline that couldnt block anything.

Im not disputing that he has sucked so far, but lets see how he looks next season with a full offseason and new Head Coach.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The OLine stats will rate this team where it belongs before too long.  I wouldn’t worry too much about that...

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Guys let me explain something to you

”happy feet” implies that a qb is quick to leave a clean pocket or rushes throws because he is afraid of the rush 

darnold has very active footwork that can look panicked... but he seems in control to me. If anything he is sitting in the “pocket” a little to long trying to make something happen. Peyton Manning had the same happy feet style.. 

Exactly.....he’s trying to keep himself prepared to throw the ball....

his OL is giving him a lot of trash to duck and dodge which forces him to move around and he’s been playing from behind so he’s been forcing stuff.....

Mac needs to get just as much heat around here as Bowles....everyone knows OL is hard to develop in today’s NFL yet the only contribution he’s made to building one is mid-late round draft picks....no blue chip high picks....no marquee FAs....it’s criminal to put a rookie behind that OL....

The problem is the whole team is despondent because they have a qb that cant move the ball.  So there is no opportunity to win the game.

Darnold is not ready and is in over his head. He should have been the 3rd string inactive qb the entire year.  But we screwed that up because we r the jets and thats what we do.  

On the second point, it isn’t just the OL, it’s the entire passing offense that is out of sorts. it doesn’t play to it’s strengths and Darnold clearly has no chemistry with ANY WR except Q and Powell. Pryor is usless, as is Robbie - unless Darnold can find the seam route w him. Kearse looks out of sync and disinterested.

We should elevate Darnold’s USC teammate and re-sign Charles Johnson immediately. Pryor especially is clueless out there

5 minutes ago, Vader said:

On the second point, it isn’t just the OL, it’s the entire passing offense that is out of sorts. it doesn’t play to it’s strengths and Darnold clearly has no chemistry with ANY WR except Q and Powell. Pryor is unless, as is Robbie - unless Darnold can find the seam route w him. Kearse looks out of sync and disinterested.

We should elevate Darnold’s USC teammate and re-sign Charles Johnson immediately. Pryor especially is clueless out there

How about establishing the running game to take the pressure off the passing offense?

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The problem is the whole team is despondent because they have a qb that cant move the ball.  So there is no opportunity to win the game.

Darnold is not ready and is in over his head. He should have been the 3rd string inactive qb the entire year.  But we screwed that up because we r the jets and thats what we do.  

Don't think that's right. He hasnt been the second coming but he has moved the ball.

Against the Lions and Dolphins, even the Browns when we finally loosened up the play calls in the 4th qtr, he was moving the chains. 

He has had an unusual amount of drives stalled on drops and penalties (and Robbie turnovers) - I know that reads as an excuse - but there were three today alone. 

I haven't felt the sense his teammates don't believe in him. Opposite, it feels like the front office felt comfortable playing him this year because they took to him so quickly. 

5 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

How about establishing the running game to take the pressure off the passing offense?

that’s definitely another thing, it’s been inconsistent. however, establishing a credible downfield threat is just as important to the run game, as is known. whatever the defense presents to you, you have to play to that weakness. if the D shades to the run, push downfield. If they aren’t stacking the box, run the ball. to play as conservatively and as ineptly as we have, early in the game is just bad football. 

11 minutes ago, VinnyT16 said:

Today was concerning. It's crazy the amount of focus on Sam tonight when we rushed for under 40 yards. 

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

you didnt see him miss  open throws ???

are you blind? 

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

that’s definitely another thing, it’s been inconsistent. however, establishing a credible downfield threat is just as important to the run game, as is known. whatever the defense presents to you, you have to play to that weakness. if the D shades to the run, push downfield. If they aren’t stacking the box, run the ball. to play as conservatively and as ineptly as we have, early in the game is just bad football. 

Yep, that's why the heat check to Robbie is so important. Don't understand why we aren't doing that early in each game... Just to keep folks honest...

The coaching staff is hot garbage. GM isn't far behind, but I think this team has enough talent that it could look decent if they had an actual NFL coaching staff game planning. 

Darnold has always been a dancer.  What concerns me is his inaccuracy while in the pocket. On the move he's incredible, but we've already seen him miss too many throws while throwing from a traditional drop back.

I think we all saw this schedule as pretty unfavorable, even before the season started. 3 games in 11 days. Facing Cleveland/Jax/(and now) Den pass rush back to back to back. While I certainly would've liked to see Darnold play better, I also can't be too discouraged given the reality - and obviously the game planning isn't helping. I suspect Sam (and the O-line) will look better against Indy or Buffalo or NE's vaulted defenses. This year is a trial by fire.. and if in 2019 Sam is a top 15 QB and we have a competent coaching staff in place, I'd consider this dumpster fire of a season to be a success. 

Archived