Sign in to follow this  
CrazyCarl40

2018 MLB Playoffs Thread

How wild is the two NL tiebreaker games?? 162 games weren’t enough. It’ll be interesting to see how the reams play this because the losers then play each other for the right to play the NL Central winner but then need to win to even get in the division series. Who do you guys have winning tomorrow?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Watch the Buehler kid. He is the real deal. 

It will be interesting because the Rockies have already faced him 4 or 5 times already this year. And several times in the past few weeks.

Marquez is pretty good too. His ERA on the road is sub 3 and is 2-0 in three starts against the Dodgers with a 2.57 ERA. Should be a good one. 

I for one didn’t expect the Brewers to be this good this year. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Crowd at Dodger Stadium, to start the game, is an embarrassment

Which team would you rather be coming to Wrigley? Who starts that game? Lester?

So who do we think wins the Wild Card games? I’m going to say Cubs because Lester is a big game pitcher. I don’t think the AL teams have announced starters yet, but it seems like a foregone conclusion we’re on the road to another Sox/Yanks October showdown. 

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Baseball playoffs are the most stupid thing on the face of the earth.  These guys play like 35 ex game, 162 reg season games and then one game playoffs.  Moronic.

While I agree the season is far too long and the playoffs go far too deep into the fall, last night’s game was awesome and it’s what makes baseball playoffs among the best (2nd to hockey).

53 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's a shame we don't have Gato around anymore. This Cubs dynasty that he berated everyone about for years is overwhelming. Dare I say stifling.

I wonder what he would have thought about the Cubs keeping Maddon. Only has one season left on his contract. Lame duck?

33 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would take Maddon on to manage my team, any day of the week.

So they’ll extend him then?

45 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Suck it Carl. 

I love you too. 

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Their staff is soooo deep.   

Boston has to be the favorite, but you have 3 teams with 100 wins, and the other team has 4 different 200 strikeout starters who all have an ERA under 3.4

I think Houston is the favorite. They won last year. Should still be the favorite this year. Going to be fun. 

• Upvote 2

I can’t believe it’s the first time the Sox and Yanks are meeting in the playoffs since the worst playoff collapse in major sports history. 

Anyway, predictions anyone?

I’ve got Sox over Yanks, Astros over Indians, Dodgers over Braves and Rockies over Brewers. That last one I’m not 100% on. All of them will be close series though. 

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Houston looks like crap....

Their starters are sick.

Houston is a buzzsaw and whomever makes it out of the other series alive is not going to be the favorite. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Time for Severino to pitch like the ace top 2 starting pitcher in all of mlb I keep hearing about

bring back the curse

Curse is never coming back. Sox are here to stay. Will be even better when they get rid of Dumbroski. He’s awful. Did pick a good manager though. 

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Eovaldi is really good, such a live arm.   The whole thing is make him throw a lot of pitches, and get him out by the 5th, so Yanks can try to work on the bullpen.

Methinks the Sox will be having a similar approach to the Yankees starter tonight. 

• Upvote 1

No matter what happens moving forward, all other series are over so the microscope is squarely on this series. Will be interesting to see if the Red Sox can keep the momentum or if the young Yanks will be angry enough to do something about it. CC Sabathia and Rick Porcello. Not a bad matchup!

40 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He pitched like crap.

Either he's hurt, or he massively lost command of his pitches.   He does need a 3rd pitch, either a real change or something else, because if one of his 2 aren't working, he gets hit.

I don’t think his manager did him any favors and then turning to Lance Lynn? Not how I would have done it. 

Maybe last night was a reckoning for Judge’s DJ antics at Fenway the other night? 😉

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Boone had a terrible night. Not sure if it was the warm up issue (what the hell happened there) or not. But bringing Sev back out for the 4th made no sense. He wasn't finishing people, he had no command and they put that bat on the ball a lot up until that point. Down 3 they would have lost anyway but bringing in another starter with the bases loaded wasn't a good look by Boone.

Losing is tough but what makes it worse it they didn't get to the Sox pen at all. If they kept it close and lost it could have helped for tonight.

The Yankees should be able to score off of Porcello so if CC can give them 5 good innings tonight they will be in great shape. CC throws a lot of pitches at this point so I am not sure he will be able to go more than 4.

Porcello pitched pretty well against the Yankees in the regular season. CC was up and down against the Red Sox. I’m curious to see if they stick with the lineup last night or if you see Nunez and Kinsler back in there tonight as lefties struggle against the big man. I’d keep Holt in there personally. He was on fire down the stretch. 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am pretty sure hitting for the cycle means you have to be in the lineup the next day lol. The league might get involved if he isn't.

He isn’t in the lineup.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Good season Yankees. I just took my first breath for most of the night. Didn’t make it easy on the Sox!

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2018 at 2:21 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

I can’t believe it’s the first time the Sox and Yanks are meeting in the playoffs since the worst playoff collapse in major sports history. 

Anyway, predictions anyone?

I’ve got Sox over Yanks, Astros over Indians, Dodgers over Braves and Rockies over Brewers. That last one I’m not 100% on. All of them will be close series though. 

I was 3 of 4 and I was wrong on the one I thought I’d be wrong on. Didn’t envision so many sweeps though!

For the Championship series I’m thinking it’ll be the Dodgers and Astros. I definitely want to be wrong about the Astros. And the Brewers are still surprising me, but Kershaw looked amazing the other night. Will be a fun series to watch, both of them actually. 

6 hours ago, Blackout said:

red sox are choking at home

Or they lost to the defending champions who are a really good team. You know who went 0-2 at home these playoffs? Never mind. 

19 minutes ago, Blackout said:

108 wins....they are choking to a lesser team.  chris sale himself said this Sox team is the best team ever.  no excuses.

A lesser team? Get a grip. The Astros were the favorite to win this series. This could be the best Sox team ever and they won a lot of games, but they have flaws and the Astros are a better team. 

4 hours ago, Blackout said:

so are you calling Chris Sale a liar?

edit. sale said best TEAM ever, not best sox team. 

Yawn. Players say things all the time. Doesn’t make them true. 

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

This was a pick 'em series at best.   Losing a best of 7 series to a defending champion who won over 100 games is not a choke.  Like wise, losing a 7 game series to a team that won 108 games is also not a choke.

Not at all a choke. Blackout is a known troll around these parts. I was hoping for actual baseball conversation in this thread. We had it for a while. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Houston winning game 1, and you going with Price game 2 I thought was going to put you in a huge hole.

I can't stand that guy, I don't know what it is.   Even last night, I know his team won a playoff game he started, 4 runs in 4 and 2/3 isn't a great stat line, but the whole "Price turns around postseason narrative" headline on espn is poop.   He is a playoff career choke artist.   Now, you have plenty of very clutch players, and a healthy Sale is a flat out stud starter. 

Yeah. The offense bailed him out big time. And the bullpen was good. I’m hopeful he opts out. Would be nice to free up that money.

Bregman put on his Instagram story today the Astros hitting back to back to back homeruns against Eovaldi when he was a Ray this season and just coming back. I wonder if that’s Judge like bad juju haha. 

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

What did I miss with the Dodgers?

https://es.pn/2OZQZIY

Can’t copy and paste (weird) but basically, the fans are unhappy with how bad Grandal has been behind the plate and they booed him resoundingly and were chanting for his backup. Some of the players didn’t like that. It’s also LA so most of the fans were quietly on their phones for the first few innings. 

• Upvote 1

Man what a game. And over in time for a decent bedtime. I still think the key is what Chris Sale looks like the next time he pitches. If he pitches again. Porcello versus a guy who hasn’t pitched in a long time. This game 3 was big. 

Anyone stay up to watch that NL game. Woof! Excellent series over there too. An 8:30 start means a late night for us Sox fans again. 

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

great game...   both temas get denied runs by very good defensive plays with bases loaded in 9nt...  crazy

I’m very tired today. Kimbrel is becoming an issue, but man what a wacky game. Fan interference, great defensive plays, ALCS hero Jackie Bradley Jr. And the Astros are still in it because they have Verlander tonight against (gulp) Price. Sox are 4-0 on the road in the playoffs.

In the NL the Brewers head home and need to win both in order to advance. That’s a tall order but can’t count them out. 

4 hours ago, section314 said:

As a National League fan, it kills me to have to root for the American League team two years in a row. That's how much I  despise the Dodgers. That being said, I think the Dodgers are a better team...Dodgers in 6.

In what ways are the Dodgers better? Maybe they have a better rotation, but that’s minimal at best. The Sox just dispatched two 100 win teams fairly easily. I’d like to hear why the Dodgers are better than a 108 win team. 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The top 3 starters blow away the Sox top 3. The Dodgers bullpen is superior. They have a better bench. They have more team speed. They have a better lineup 1-8. The Sox will lose JD Martinez for 3 games. They play in a better league. Is that enough?

The Red Sox and Dodgers bullpens had the same ERA in the regular season. The Red Sox aren’t losing JD for three games. They’ll lose Kinsler. The Red Sox had the best offense in all of baseball and have a deep bench. The AL was far superior to the NL this year in inter league play. I may give you the starters, but the Sox just dispatched the Astros starters who are as good as the Dodgers starters. So I’m not worried. But the majority of your points don’t hold statistical water. We’ll see how it plays out. 

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company