Sign in to follow this  
CrazyCarl40

2018 MLB Playoffs Thread

No matter what happens moving forward, all other series are over so the microscope is squarely on this series. Will be interesting to see if the Red Sox can keep the momentum or if the young Yanks will be angry enough to do something about it. CC Sabathia and Rick Porcello. Not a bad matchup!

So is Luis Severino still the best pitcher in the mlb?  I’m just wondering guys because I was literally called a retarded person for 2 months on this board because I didn’t have that opinion

30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So is Luis Severino still the best pitcher in the mlb?  I’m just wondering guys because I was literally called a retarded person for 2 months on this board because I didn’t have that opinion

He pitched like crap.

Either he's hurt, or he massively lost command of his pitches.   He does need a 3rd pitch, either a real change or something else, because if one of his 2 aren't working, he gets hit.

40 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He pitched like crap.

Either he's hurt, or he massively lost command of his pitches.   He does need a 3rd pitch, either a real change or something else, because if one of his 2 aren't working, he gets hit.

I don’t think his manager did him any favors and then turning to Lance Lynn? Not how I would have done it. 

Maybe last night was a reckoning for Judge’s DJ antics at Fenway the other night? 😉

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don’t think his manager did him any favors and then turning to Lance Lynn? Not how I would have done it. 

Maybe last night was a reckoning for Judge’s DJ antics at Fenway the other night? 😉

It's Yanks and Sox in the playoffs, neither team needs any extra motivation.   I said it at the time, and I've said it since, I wish the Yanks had brought back Eovaldi.  

On a side note, I also maintain if the Yanks somehow beat Boston, Houston's starting pitching will be a nightmare.    Those power strikeout righties with extra rest vs NY's lineup?   5 hits, 1 run (if lucky), 15 strikeouts a game.

27 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He pitched like crap.

I am a lifelong Mets fan(61 in December) and I have seen my share of good pitchers for my favorite team over the years. I think Severino has stuff on par with most of them at this stage of his career, save Seaver and Doc. It is way better than the last couple of games when he can't get out of the 4th inning because he's at 70-80pitches. The thing I've noticed is he needs to , as Ronnie Darling says so many times on SNY, "just trust your stuff." Throw strikes, period. The most important pitch to every guy is strike one. When you are blessed with his arm, the tendency is to try to blow everyone away. I think that will come with his maturity as a pitcher.  I agree, a change would be a great addition to his arsenal. He is a special kid, and is going to have a tremendous career,

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

He's great in the regular season. He's not a big-game pitcher, but we've known that for awhile. There's a reason he didn't get the WC game.

He's the opposite of el duque.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Boone had a terrible night. Not sure if it was the warm up issue (what the hell happened there) or not. But bringing Sev back out for the 4th made no sense. He wasn't finishing people, he had no command and they put that bat on the ball a lot up until that point. Down 3 they would have lost anyway but bringing in another starter with the bases loaded wasn't a good look by Boone.

Losing is tough but what makes it worse it they didn't get to the Sox pen at all. If they kept it close and lost it could have helped for tonight.

The Yankees should be able to score off of Porcello so if CC can give them 5 good innings tonight they will be in great shape. CC throws a lot of pitches at this point so I am not sure he will be able to go more than 4.

Just now, Maxman said:

Boone had a terrible night. Not sure if it was the warm up issue (what the hell happened there) or not. But bringing Sev back out for the 4th made no sense. He wasn't finishing people, he had no command and they put that bat on the ball a lot up until that point. Down 3 they would have lost anyway but bringing in another starter with the bases loaded wasn't a good look by Boone.

Losing is tough but what makes it worse it they didn't get to the Sox pen at all. If they kept it close and lost it could have helped for tonight.

The Yankees should be able to score off of Porcello so if CC can give them 5 good innings tonight they will be in great shape. CC throws a lot of pitches at this point so I am not sure he will be able to go more than 4.

Yep, my brother was screaming at the TV when Sevi came back out for the 4th. Meanwhile, Cora actually made the right move going against the current trend and left Eovaldi out there to save the pen.

Tonight's going to be tough. This is a new feeling...I'm actually kinda nervous going to the game tonight.

Sox had looked off color for a while and I ws predicting Chanx to take it...

Last night was ...  I dunno... so unusual... Eovaldi had his stuff going...

1st base ump was a nightmare and now he's supposed to call ball and strikes? mamma mia. how they can trot that guy out AT ALL , i dont agree with, for either side.

Sox fan here since 75.

Still..  I dont feel terribl;y confident.

31 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

He's great in the regular season. He's not a big-game pitcher, but we've known that for awhile. There's a reason he didn't get the WC game.

He's the opposite of el duque.

He pitched the wild card game

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Sox had looked off color for a while and I ws predicting Chanx to take it...

Last night was ...  I dunno... so unusual... Eovaldi had his stuff going...

1st base ump was a nightmare and now he's supposed to call ball and strikes? mamma mia. how they can trot that guy out AT ALL , i dont agree with, for either side.

Sox fan here since 75.

Still..  I dont feel terribl;y confident.

I think the Yanks win tonight and lose in 5.  My family, who all live in Houston, love this.  

"Just keep beating each other up!!".   Some version of that text message is on my phone every freaking day.

24 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He pitched the wild card game

Yep, he did. My bad. I confused myself because I remember thinking that starting him in the WC game this year would be a mistake given how he performed in the WC last year.

He did however have a great game 4 in last year's alds. Probably the most fun I've ever had a baseball game. Hopefully tonight matches last year's game 4.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I think the Yanks win tonight and lose in 5.  My family, who all live in Houston, love this.  

"Just keep beating each other up!!".   Some version of that text message is on my phone every freaking day.

Houston's starting pitching is going to be a problem for whoever faces them next.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Porcello pitched pretty well against the Yankees in the regular season. CC was up and down against the Red Sox. I’m curious to see if they stick with the lineup last night or if you see Nunez and Kinsler back in there tonight as lefties struggle against the big man. I’d keep Holt in there personally. He was on fire down the stretch. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Porcello pitched pretty well against the Yankees in the regular season. CC was up and down against the Red Sox. I’m curious to see if they stick with the lineup last night or if you see Nunez and Kinsler back in there tonight as lefties struggle against the big man. I’d keep Holt in there personally. He was on fire down the stretch. 

I am pretty sure hitting for the cycle means you have to be in the lineup the next day lol. The league might get involved if he isn't.

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

He pitched like crap.

I think he is what he is.  He’s a good to very good 2 or 3 he’s not an ace

Tanaka is the new Andy Pettite.  A good second or third starter who is excellent in the playoffs but again not an ace 

We need to spend big bucks on starting pitching this offseason.  Enough of this garbage oh Kershaw is gonna want too much money no that’s nonsense.  We are not beating Houston or Boston with CC, JA Happ and Luis Cessa

And if you need to use Didi and Dellin as trade bait to get an ace from somewhere then do it

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think he is what he is.  He’s a good to very good 2 or 3 he’s not an ace

Tanaka is the new Andy Pettite.  A good second or third starter who is excellent in the playoffs but again not an ace 

We need to spend big bucks on starting pitching this offseason.  Enough of this garbage oh Kershaw is gonna want too much money no that’s nonsense.  We are not beating Houston or Boston with CC, JA Happ and Luis Cessa

And if you need to use Didi and Dellin as trade bait to get an ace from somewhere then do it

He needs a 3rd pitch.   If his slider or fastball is a little off, hitters have learned to lay off one and just feast on the other. 

I believe Patrick Corbin on the Diamondbacks is a FA.   29, he may be someone to look at.   Kershaw is older, and not the same guy, he has a lot of miles and you are hoping for 150-160 innings at most.   I don't really know who else is out there, but yes, they have to sign/ trade for someone.  

The problem with moving Didi is he is their only left handed bat.   (well, Hicks is a switch).

On 10/4/2018 at 2:21 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

I can’t believe it’s the first time the Sox and Yanks are meeting in the playoffs since the worst playoff collapse in major sports history. 

Anyway, predictions anyone?

I’ve got Sox over Yanks, Astros over Indians, Dodgers over Braves and Rockies over Brewers. That last one I’m not 100% on. All of them will be close series though. 

I was 3 of 4 and I was wrong on the one I thought I’d be wrong on. Didn’t envision so many sweeps though!

For the Championship series I’m thinking it’ll be the Dodgers and Astros. I definitely want to be wrong about the Astros. And the Brewers are still surprising me, but Kershaw looked amazing the other night. Will be a fun series to watch, both of them actually. 

On 10/9/2018 at 9:04 AM, Losmeister said:

He is out there because he sued MLB, stating he never got post season jobs because Joe Torre had a vendetta against him.

I think the ump has proved that while Torre may have disliked him, he wasn't out there because he stinks.

59 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He is out there because he sued MLB, stating he never got post season jobs because Joe Torre had a vendetta against him.

I think the ump has proved that while Torre may have disliked him, he wasn't out there because he stinks.

in spades

Great game last night -- incredible drama in the last 2 innings.  But does this "opener" nonsense drive anyone else crazy.  Game 1 of a 7 game series and you pull your starter after two innings.  Then, Counsell brings in his best reliever, Hader, with a 5-1 lead in the 5th inning.  Burns him for 3 innings and 46 pitches in a non-stress situation with a comfortable lead.  Made no sense to me.  I am rooting for the Brewers, but I am just not sure you can lean on a bullpen this much and expect to win 2 more long series.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Great game last night -- incredible drama in the last 2 innings.  But does this "opener" nonsense drive anyone else crazy.  Game 1 of a 7 game series and you pull your starter after two innings.  Then, Counsell brings in his best reliever, Hader, with a 5-1 lead in the 5th inning.  Burns him for 3 innings and 46 pitches in a non-stress situation with a comfortable lead.  Made no sense to me.  I am rooting for the Brewers, but I am just not sure you can lean on a bullpen this much and expect to win 2 more long series.

The Royals set a similar tone in 2015 World Series. Teams are figuring it is not as much who starts games, but who finishes. Also, seeing the same pitcher more than 1 time increases the probability of seeing him well.

Not saying I am in agreement to this strategy, but it is one that more teams are adopting.

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Royals set a similar tone in 2015 World Series. Teams are figuring it is not as much who starts games, but who finishes. Also, seeing the same pitcher more than 1 time increases the probability of seeing him well.

Not saying I am in agreement to this strategy, but it is one that more teams are adopting.

I know that this is the direction the game is going.  The Royals in 2015 still got 30 innings out of their starters in a 5 game series.  The only starter that got pulled early did so because he pitched badly.  I think this Brewers team is very good, but I am not sure this strategy of leaning so heavily on your bullpen is sustainable over a long series or two series back-to-back.  I hope it works our because I really like this Brewer team and would like to see them in the Series.