Sign in to follow this  
CrazyCarl40

2018 MLB Playoffs Thread

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I know that this is the direction the game is going.  The Royals in 2015 still got 30 innings out of their starters in a 5 game series.  The only starter that got pulled early did so because he pitched badly.  I think this Brewers team is very good, but I am not sure this strategy of leaning so heavily on your bullpen is sustainable over a long series or two series back-to-back.  I hope it works our because I really like this Brewer team and would like to see them in the Series.  

I think it is sustainable over a series (if you have a very good relief corps). It is a season that it is not sustainable.

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Great game last night -- incredible drama in the last 2 innings.  But does this "opener" nonsense drive anyone else crazy.  Game 1 of a 7 game series and you pull your starter after two innings.  Then, Counsell brings in his best reliever, Hader, with a 5-1 lead in the 5th inning.  Burns him for 3 innings and 46 pitches in a non-stress situation with a comfortable lead.  Made no sense to me.  I am rooting for the Brewers, but I am just not sure you can lean on a bullpen this much and expect to win 2 more long series.

Dude - in my eyes that won game 1 for them. Bringing Hader in for the 9 outs kept the Dodgers from scoring in those innings and ultimately let the 6 runs stand. You saw what happened when he came out. 

I think Counsell wanted to keep the Dodgers shut down and in a chasing mode while they tried to add to their lead.

Since the Cheezers have decided to make themselves true wise guy rivals (something they should stay away from given their yah-hey-der mentality) by asking when the Cubs play next on the scoreboard during the game, I hope LA beats them to their reality - senseless.

4 hours ago, NJ said:

Dude - in my eyes that won game 1 for them. Bringing Hader in for the 9 outs kept the Dodgers from scoring in those innings and ultimately let the 6 runs stand. You saw what happened when he came out. 

I think Counsell wanted to keep the Dodgers shut down and in a chasing mode while they tried to add to their lead.

They sure could have used Hader for an inning today.  Not having him available at all might have cost that game tonight.

27 minutes ago, Lith said:

They sure could have used Hader for an inning today.  Not having him available at all might have cost that game tonight.

They managed to win game 1 yesterday, not game 2. 

Counsell does a good job in doing this, and his results really can't be questioned.  

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Or they lost to the defending champions who are a really good team. You know who went 0-2 at home these playoffs? Never mind. 

108 wins....they are choking to a lesser team.  chris sale himself said this Sox team is the best team ever.  no excuses.

19 minutes ago, Blackout said:

108 wins....they are choking to a lesser team.  chris sale himself said this Sox team is the best team ever.  no excuses.

A lesser team? Get a grip. The Astros were the favorite to win this series. This could be the best Sox team ever and they won a lot of games, but they have flaws and the Astros are a better team. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

A lesser team? Get a grip. The9 Astros were the favorite to win this series. This could be the best Sox team ever and they won a lot of games, but they have flaws and the Astros are a better team. 

so are you calling Chris Sale a liar?

edit. sale said best TEAM ever, not best sox team. 

On 10/14/2018 at 10:44 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

A lesser team? Get a grip. The Astros were the favorite to win this series. This could be the best Sox team ever and they won a lot of games, but they have flaws and the Astros are a better team. 

This was a pick 'em series at best.   Losing a best of 7 series to a defending champion who won over 100 games is not a choke.  Like wise, losing a 7 game series to a team that won 108 games is also not a choke.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

This was a pick 'em series at best.   Losing a best of 7 series to a defending champion who won over 100 games is not a choke.  Like wise, losing a 7 game series to a team that won 108 games is also not a choke.

Not at all a choke. Blackout is a known troll around these parts. I was hoping for actual baseball conversation in this thread. We had it for a while. 

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not at all a choke. Blackout is a known troll around these parts. I was hoping for actual baseball conversation in this thread. We had it for a while. 

Houston winning game 1, and you going with Price game 2 I thought was going to put you in a huge hole.

I can't stand that guy, I don't know what it is.   Even last night, I know his team won a playoff game he started, 4 runs in 4 and 2/3 isn't a great stat line, but the whole "Price turns around postseason narrative" headline on espn is poop.   He is a playoff career choke artist.   Now, you have plenty of very clutch players, and a healthy Sale is a flat out stud starter. 

29 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Houston winning game 1, and you going with Price game 2 I thought was going to put you in a huge hole.

I can't stand that guy, I don't know what it is.   Even last night, I know his team won a playoff game he started, 4 runs in 4 and 2/3 isn't a great stat line, but the whole "Price turns around postseason narrative" headline on espn is poop.   He is a playoff career choke artist.   Now, you have plenty of very clutch players, and a healthy Sale is a flat out stud starter. 

Yeah. The offense bailed him out big time. And the bullpen was good. I’m hopeful he opts out. Would be nice to free up that money.

Bregman put on his Instagram story today the Astros hitting back to back to back homeruns against Eovaldi when he was a Ray this season and just coming back. I wonder if that’s Judge like bad juju haha. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. The offense bailed him out big time. And the bullpen was good. I’m hopeful he opts out. Would be nice to free up that money.

Bregman put on his Instagram story today the Astros hitting back to back to back homeruns against Eovaldi when he was a Ray this season and just coming back. I wonder if that’s Judge like bad juju haha. 

I don't think he will opt out.   It would be to go to a lesser team, and honestly I don't think he'd get as much money.   His playoff record is so bad, I don't know how many playoff caliber teams would want him.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Brewers are rolling and the Dodgers are angry with their fans. The NL is wild. 

Counsell is doing a very good job with managing the pitching staff. He is playing with fire, as somewhere along the line, one of these relievers will be "off". 

I see what he is trying to do, as he is trying to get as many innings as he can with left handers, because that helps negate the Dodgers line-up. The Dodgers are really built to be home run, or bust.

16 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I still don't like that Judge did that. Definitely isn't like him. I think he will learn from it. Probably didn't think it would be recorded, still wasn't the right thing to do. This Sox team is a machine. No need to poke them in any way.

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

What did I miss with the Dodgers?

https://es.pn/2OZQZIY

Can’t copy and paste (weird) but basically, the fans are unhappy with how bad Grandal has been behind the plate and they booed him resoundingly and were chanting for his backup. Some of the players didn’t like that. It’s also LA so most of the fans were quietly on their phones for the first few innings. 

49 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Can’t copy and paste (weird) but basically, the fans are unhappy with how bad Grandal has been behind the plate and they booed him resoundingly and were chanting for his backup. Some of the players didn’t like that. It’s also LA so most of the fans were quietly on their phones for the first few innings. 

Oh wow.

The good news for the players is that you will only get boo'ed for the first 7 innings when the Dodgers are home.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Grandal has been an absolute butcher back there.

Man what a game. And over in time for a decent bedtime. I still think the key is what Chris Sale looks like the next time he pitches. If he pitches again. Porcello versus a guy who hasn’t pitched in a long time. This game 3 was big. 

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Man what a game. And over in time for a decent bedtime. I still think the key is what Chris Sale looks like the next time he pitches. If he pitches again. Porcello versus a guy who hasn’t pitched in a long time. This game 3 was big. 

Was ultra nervous yesserday...  ( BTW Sox fan since 75) Eovaldi pitched quite well..  how they score a big bloop bounce that Devers flubs a double I'll never know...  announcers sounded SO DISAPPOinted went Pearce put them back up....  they seemed to slobberingly fellate Bregman's every move ( tho he sure showed Devers how to play 3rd)

and little Jackie Bradley...  man o man...  comes up huge again....  so essential when JD is struggling as he is...

still very far from over....   

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

great game...   both temas get denied runs by very good defensive plays with bases loaded in 9nt...  crazy

I’m very tired today. Kimbrel is becoming an issue, but man what a wacky game. Fan interference, great defensive plays, ALCS hero Jackie Bradley Jr. And the Astros are still in it because they have Verlander tonight against (gulp) Price. Sox are 4-0 on the road in the playoffs.

In the NL the Brewers head home and need to win both in order to advance. That’s a tall order but can’t count them out. 

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m very tired today. Kimbrel is becoming an issue, but man what a wacky game. Fan interference, great defensive plays, ALCS hero Jackie Bradley Jr. And the Astros are still in it because they have Verlander tonight against (gulp) Price. Sox are 4-0 on the road in the playoffs.

In the NL the Brewers head home and need to win both in order to advance. That’s a tall order but can’t count them out. 

Price...  Mr Opher Ten...  indeed...    ..  Verlander..  , I say swing away..  seems Sox take too many strikes... good series...