Ernest Shazor and Thomas Davis pro days?

Barton

I read on footballsfutre that thomas davis weighed in at 230 lbs and ran a 4.65, which apparently was quote "dissapointing"

does anybody know when or if ernest shazor has or had his proday? and what was his 40 time? I have a hard time believing he can really run a 4.45, but it wouldn't shock me if he did.....

Pro football talk is reporting Shazor ran in the 4.7 area....Possibly dropping him to the 2nd day--that's their words, not mine.

By the way, several months ago, I went on the record saying NFL teams might want to bulk Shazor up to play OLB due to speed issues--ala Cato June of the Colts.

Marlin Jackson, they report, broke his wrist...so he's not doing too well tonight either.

Braylon had a big day, so that's some good news for Wolverine fans...

Haven't seen anything on Davis yet.

Pro football talk is reporting Shazor ran in the 4.7 area....Possibly dropping him to the 2nd day--that's their words, not mine.

By the way, several months ago, I went on the record saying NFL teams might want to bulk Shazor up to play OLB due to speed issues--ala Cato June of the Colts.

Marlin Jackson, they report, broke his wrist...so he's not doing too well tonight either.

Braylon had a big day, so that's some good news for Wolverine fans...

Haven't seen anything on Davis yet.

thanks for the confirmation riggins. 8) somebody on a colts board say shazor ran close to a 4.7 and that marlin jackson broke his wrist but he had no link

I don't care about 40 times if you have a player like ernest shazor, if he slips to day 2, I wouldn't let him because I would draft him in the 2nd rd

rodney harrison probably runs worse than a 4.7, and besides ed reed (who also ran a slow 40 time), rodney is the biggest playmaking safety in the nfl

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts

Jonathan Welsh LB Welsh (6-3 1/8, 242) ran his 40s in 4.51 and 4.52. (got him in my draft)

Erasmus James DE James (6-3 7/8, 268) ran his 40s in 4.78 and 4.74. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.40 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.25.

Anttaj Hawthorne DT Hawthorne (6-2 7/8, 325) ran his 40s in 5.12 and 5.15. He also ran the short shuttle in 4.78 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.77. He had a 30

Thomas Davis didn't score well on his wonderlic test.

But he can play football. Is 230 too heavy for him?

If he's going to safety, He should drop weight to atleast 215 or even 210. That would speed him up.

Remember when Terrell Suggs ran a 4.8 and 4.9 in his personal workouts. Here's a guy who was a dominant pass rusher in college playing at 245. Everyone told him to put on weight to play DE in the pros this is before The current 3-4 craze. The extra weight he put on, slowed him down. Ravens drafted him, told him to go to his original playing weight and put him at OLB/Rush End. Suggs wins defensive rookie of the year.

That could be what happens with Thomas Davis. If teams want him at OLB in the 3-4. Then keep him at 230.

I think he is best suited to be an in the box strong safety like a Rodney Harrison type. He should lose weight. He's a hallacious blitzer. Exactly like Harrison, I'm not a pro coach but I'd have him lose weight and play SS.

As for Shazor. He's the best pure tackler in the draft. A 4.7 40 is not very good but he's not a finesse defender. This is not a Eugene Wilson type.

You hate having DB's that are slow. If you tell Shazor to put on more weight to be a LB. He might lose more speed. Can't do that at LB.

Shazor is a heck of a badass in the secondary. Only worry is how he can translate to the pros. The speed in the pros is ten times faster than college. Shazor is going to have to come into the league as a backup and prove himself.

He can play football though.

Do you guys remember Ken Swilling? He was an All-American SS at Georgia Tech (brother of Pat Swilling) who played at 230 lbs, but didn't make it in the NFL. I believe the Bucs tried to convert him to OLB, but it didn't take. That's not as easy a transition as peole make it out to be.

Do you guys remember Ken Swilling? He was an All-American SS at Georgia Tech (brother of Pat Swilling) who played at 230 lbs, but didn't make it in the NFL. I believe the Bucs tried to convert him to OLB, but it didn't take. That's not as easy a transition as peole make it out to be.

It's freaking hard. Sometimes it makes sense.

Like last year, Michael Boulware went to safety. He was an up and down player at that position. He made some great plays and gave up some big plays. He's still a work in progress.

Brian Urlacher was a guy who played a ton of different positions and probably could have stayed in the secondary.

Urlacher is best suited for LB. But you notice that he can't stay healthy. LB's take more of a pounding than DB's do. They have to take on the big heavies on every single snap. DB's don't.

I'd be more confident in a LB going to a safety than a safety going to LB.

You are playing with these young guys careers when you change their positions because it might not work and the player may be out of the league in a few years.

If some 4-3 team drafted Suggs and told him to play at 280 pounds. He might have been a bust. Got lucky that Ravens were smart enough to get him back to his original playing weight and position.

The DE to OLB in the 3-4 is an easier transition than DB to LB.

If Mike Singletary and Sam Mills were coming out for the draft. Teams might have tried to move them to safety. You are talking about two hall of fame type MLB's who probably would have been forced to switch positions or they may not have even made the league.

EXCELLENT post YJF

I too would ask thomas davis to drop 10 or 15lbs, so he could go step for step with most WRs in the nfl.

shazor is just an animal 6'4 225, he is the definition of a WOLVERINE, he prowls the secondary and pounces on WRs going across the middle or running backs trying to take it off tackle

One thing to note about Donnie's scheme is that it doesn't ask the SS to cover anybody. In the rare instances when the SS ends up in true coverage, it's usually not even the deep outside by himself--it's usually the hook zone. IMO, he could put Shazor in places to make plays.

One thing to note about Donnie's scheme is that it doesn't ask the SS to cover anybody. In the rare instances when the SS ends up in true coverage, it's usually not even the deep outside by himself--it's usually the hook zone. IMO, he could put Shazor in places to make plays.

good point shane

if shazor slips to the 2nd rd for the jets, we better not skip over him.

Archived