Your 2018-2019 Knicks thread

Philc1

33 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

With our luck, and the new drafting rules, thanks NBA, we'll probably end up drafting 5th, behind Porzingas and the beloved Mark Cuban's Mavericks.

It really isn't much of a prize to tank anymore.  Sucks that after years of not being this way, they changed it last year and now the Knicks finally figure out how to tank properly.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It really isn't much of a prize to tank anymore.  Sucks that after years of not being this way, they changed it last year and now the Knicks finally figure out how to tank properly.

I hate it.  In any sport.  Like a wasted year of our lives.  Makes me angry, and never works out. There should be a law.  Haha.  Dolan is a piece of crap, so don't get me started...

12 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I hate it.  In any sport.  Like a wasted year of our lives.  Makes me angry, and never works out. There should be a law.  Haha.  Dolan is a piece of crap, so don't get me started...

I've said for years that the Johnsons and Wilpons should thank the universe every day for Dolan's existence.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Slight change of subject here, but after years of watching the Knicks draft one flawed PG after another, and then watching Ja Morant go off yesterday, I am thinking I won't be utterly crushed if we get the #2 pick instead of #1.

Here’s the thing about Morant and our inevitable #3 pick:

Morant not only is possibly the next great pg but if we draft him the Knicks can then use DSJ and the picks from Dallas in a package to get AD in a sign and trade.  If the Knicks get AD they become a hot destination 

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

He didn't have such a great trajectory in Atlanta, though I can't say that I paid attention and it might have related more to "buying the groceries."

Budenholzer is a good coach but I wonder how brilliant he would look if refs were allowed to call Giannis for traveling 

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, nycdan said:

Slight change of subject here, but after years of watching the Knicks draft one flawed PG after another, and then watching Ja Morant go off yesterday, I am thinking I won't be utterly crushed if we get the #2 pick instead of #1.

Zion no matter what

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Zion no matter what

Zion at #1.  But we have <15% chance of getting that pick.  I'm just saying that #2 isn't a horrible consolation prize.  The kid is really, really good.  But right now I'm just salivating to watch Zion vs. Tacko tomorrow night.

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

Zion at #1.  But we have <15% chance of getting that pick.  I'm just saying that #2 isn't a horrible consolation prize.  The kid is really, really good.  But right now I'm just salivating to watch Zion vs. Tacko tomorrow night.

I’d be happy with any of the top 3 picks 

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:34 PM, Philc1 said:

Gonna get firebombed for saying this but Ja Morant should be the number 1 pick

I don't necessarily disagree about Morant.  And you are not the first, or only one, that I've heard say it.

As for Porzingas, I don't know about this accusation.  #1, he supposedly raped her the night he tore his ACL?  That doesn't make much sense to me.  He had to be in at least moderate pain.  Then of course there's the timing, and the "payment arrangement"..   I believe he may have agreed to pay her 66,000 dollars, and then reneged, that sounds like him, but if you are truly raped, especially by a  "neighbor", I believe that your first reaction would be to tell the police.  This was not some bar fly.  That being said, as time goes on, he reveals himself to be more and more of your typical NBA azzhole.  Good riddance.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I don't necessarily disagree about Morant.  And you are not the first, or only one, that I've heard say it.

As for Porzingas, I don't know about this accusation.  #1, he supposedly raped her the night he tore his ACL?  That doesn't make much sense to me.  He had to be in at least moderate pain.  Then of course there's the timing, and the "payment arrangement"..   I believe he may have agreed to pay her 66,000 dollars, and then reneged, that sounds like him, but if you are truly raped, especially by a  "neighbor", I believe that your first reaction would be to tell the police.  This was not some bar fly.  That being said, as time goes on, he reveals himself to be more and more of your typical NBA azzhole.  Good riddance.

Zion will be the #1 pick no matter what I’m actually rooting for the Knicks to get either the 2nd or 3rd pick because I think Barrett and Morant’s games translate better to today’s nba

No idea about KP but something was definitely going on behind the scenes with him besides his diva attitude.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Zion will be the #1 pick no matter what I’m actually rooting for the Knicks to get either the 2nd or 3rd pick because I think Barrett and Morant’s games translate better to today’s nba

No idea about KP but something was definitely going on behind the scenes with him besides his diva attitude.

I tend to agree about Barrett and Morant, although I wouldn't be disappointed if we did get Zion Williamson.  Don't worry.  The Knicks will never get the #1 overall pick.  Never works that way for them.  We don't have the luck of the great Dave DeBusschere with us any more.  RIP.  My favorite all time Knick.  He, Bernard and Earl.  The best of the best.

About KP, he wasn't the good kid we thought he was, that much is for sure.  Just find it odd that you blow out your ACL, then rape someone in the same night.  Not impossible, but just doesn't feel right.

How about our boy Mr. Robinson?  What a pick.  You can't teach what he can do.  Camby redux.  Hope they don't screw up and trade him.  Knox is developing, slowly but surely.  Nitlikina seems like he's going to bust.  Shame.  Go on YouTube to look for the Michael Kay interview with James Dolan.  Shameful.  What an a&#036;&#036;hole.  Doesn't feel any guilt or responsibility to the fans who spend a fortune paying to go to the Garden.  He's so arrogant and delusional, it almost defies belief.  Michael Kay didn't stroke him.  I was impressed.

The jury is still out on David Fizdale, as far as I am concerned.  I see development in individual players, which is a credit to him and is good.  I don't see an improvement in cohesion on the court, team defense, passing, or player rotation.  I sometimes wonder if there is a plan.  It's too much isolation, dribbling, and a "street ball" feel to their offense.  On defense the effort is sporadic, and uneven.  More individual players making plays than a team defense mentality.  That is troubling.  Not what I thought we were getting.  Next year will tell all.  Hope he's a lot more than Derek Fischer or  Jeff Hornacek.

• Upvote 1

So zion 

Every time I watch him I'm more impressed with the raw physical ability. The explosive way he gets off the floor, rebounds in traffic, quick first step. 

I'm also less impressed with his overall game every time I watch him. 

I don't want to make any crazy declaration because Jordan was labeled as a dunker that needed to work on his shot when he was coming out lol

The last 2 possessions yesterday Duke basically gave him the ball and said win it 

He passed both times. 

Now Duke should have gotten him the ball in the post, but if he's not really comfortable outside how will he fit into the NBA game? 

I would still take him 1st but hype and expectation should be that he needs time to polish his game 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/1/2019 at 1:27 AM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I tend to agree about Barrett and Morant, although I wouldn't be disappointed if we did get Zion Williamson.  Don't worry.  The Knicks will never get the #1 overall pick.  Never works that way for them.  We don't have the luck of the great Dave DeBusschere with us any more.  RIP.  My favorite all time Knick.  He, Bernard and Earl.  The best of the best.

About KP, he wasn't the good kid we thought he was, that much is for sure.  Just find it odd that you blow out your ACL, then rape someone in the same night.  Not impossible, but just doesn't feel right.

How about our boy Mr. Robinson?  What a pick.  You can't teach what he can do.  Camby redux.  Hope they don't screw up and trade him.  Knox is developing, slowly but surely.  Nitlikina seems like he's going to bust.  Shame.  Go on YouTube to look for the Michael Kay interview with James Dolan.  Shameful.  What an a&#036;&#036;hole.  Doesn't feel any guilt or responsibility to the fans who spend a fortune paying to go to the Garden.  He's so arrogant and delusional, it almost defies belief.  Michael Kay didn't stroke him.  I was impressed.

The jury is still out on David Fizdale, as far as I am concerned.  I see development in individual players, which is a credit to him and is good.  I don't see an improvement in cohesion on the court, team defense, passing, or player rotation.  I sometimes wonder if there is a plan.  It's too much isolation, dribbling, and a "street ball" feel to their offense.  On defense the effort is sporadic, and uneven.  More individual players making plays than a team defense mentality.  That is troubling.  Not what I thought we were getting.  Next year will tell all.  Hope he's a lot more than Derek Fischer or  Jeff Hornacek.

Mitchell Robinson is a future DPOY in the nba he just needs to gain some weight and stop going for fakes

No idea about Fizdale. No way Knicks are going to fire him and to judge him on a year they were tanking is unfair.  One thing tho if Perry’s plan does actually work out and we get a top 3 pick plus two top free agents Fizz will look a lot better next season

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Larz said:

So zion 

Every time I watch him I'm more impressed with the raw physical ability. The explosive way he gets off the floor, rebounds in traffic, quick first step. 

I'm also less impressed with his overall game every time I watch him. 

I don't want to make any crazy declaration because Jordan was labeled as a dunker that needed to work on his shot when he was coming out lol

The last 2 possessions yesterday Duke basically gave him the ball and said win it 

He passed both times. 

Now Duke should have gotten him the ball in the post, but if he's not really comfortable outside how will he fit into the NBA game? 

I would still take him 1st but hype and expectation should be that he needs time to polish his game 

Best case scenario for Zion is he becomes Draymond Green.  Worst case is he becomes Clarence Weatherspoon 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Best case scenario for Zion is he becomes Draymond Green.  Worst case is he becomes Clarence Weatherspoon 

Disagree. Dray is a top 2 defender and is a monster at defending anyone 2 to 4. His help D and ability to push in transition are also incredible. And he's extremely limited offensively. I do not at all see Zion's game translating to being that good of a defender or being that limited on offense.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Disagree. Dray is a top 2 defender and is a monster at defending anyone 2 to 4. His help D and ability to push in transition are also incredible. And he's extremely limited offensively. I do not at all see Zion's game translating to being that good of a defender or being that limited on offense.

I think Zion has a surprising amount of quickness and mobility for his size (he will be the second heaviest nba player already the night he is drafted)  It’s actually his offensive game I’m more concerned about especially since he only shoots 64% FT  and guys who post up need to hit free throws to get points usually in the nba

Thankfully, it's almost over.

Knicks guaranteed themselves a 53% chance of a top 4 pick in a 4 player draft. Of course, with their luck, they'll drop to 5.

If not, it's Zion, Morant, Barrett and Culver in that order.  Zion is great, but the other 3 are legit star-level prospects.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, SMC said:

Knicks guaranteed themselves a 53% chance of a top 4 pick in a 4 player draft. Of course, with their luck, they'll drop to 5.

If not, it's Zion, Morant, Barrett and Culver in that order.  Zion is great, but the other 3 are legit star-level prospects.

Zion then miles then Morant then miles then who knows. Don't forget Clarke.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

It's a 1 player draft.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It's a 1 player draft.

No it’s not.  I’m starting to agree with Francesa Zion is going to not be as good in the nba as everyone is screaming he will be

I’d be happy with the second or third pick and Morant or Barrett

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

3 wins less than everyone in the damn league and that doesn't get you #1. The NBA is ******* dumb.

The reason there is a draft is because it gives the NBA commissioner more control. NFL and MLB don’t have a lottery and their drafts function perfectly fine

Interesting to see what Stern/Silver do.  It would look egregious to give the Lakers or bulls the top pick again but they also hate Dolan.  

The delta for each pick from last year's worst record to this year's worst record is absurd:

#1: 11% drop
#2: 8.1% drop
#3: 5.1% drop
#4: 23.7% drop
#5: 47.9% increase

For those that don't follow, this means that the Knicks chances of getting the 5th pick went up almost 50%, while their chance of getting the 1st pick went down 11%,. These odds put the expected pick at 3.664 this year, which means bye bye to Zion and Ja. Last year, expected pick would have been 2.642. That's a full expected pick drop for the worst record in the league due to the change in methodology from last year to this year. That's ******* stupid.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Whatever gets you through the night.  They didn't know the ******* lottery rules before the season?  Newsflash, they were set in 2017.

Not sure why you're so mad at someone simply pointing out how the stupid ******* rule change is affecting the Knicks this year, in a Knicks thread. Have a donut, brother.

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not sure why you're so mad at someone simply pointing out how the stupid ******* rule change is affecting the Knicks this year, in a Knicks thread. Have a donut, brother.

I'm not mad at you.  I'm trying to figure out why you are mad a rule change that was made in 2017.  It wasn't made to hurt the Knicks.  If anything it was made to help them as they make their annual mid-season trades to fight for the 8 seed. 

They are a poorly run franchise and this tank was untimely and handled poorly.  Who have the developed?  Are they trying to pump Knox up as a volume chucker like Porzingas and Anthony before him?   

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not mad at you.  I'm trying to figure out why you are mad a rule change that was made in 2017.  It wasn't made to hurt the Knicks.  If anything it was made to help them as they make their annual mid-season trades to fight for the 8 seed. 

They are a poorly run franchise and this tank was untimely and handled poorly.  Who have the developed?  Are they trying to pump Knox up as a volume chucker like Porzingas and Anthony before him?   

No one is saying it was meant to hurt the knicks, specifically. Everyone is saying it was a stupid change in general.

Instead of doing stupid things at the bottom of the standings, the NBA should have done something about the ease with which super teams are/can be created at the top of the standings. Less top heavy teams means more star power dispersed through the league which means less need for tanking to try to acquire the coveted high pick/talent, which eliminates the need for this dumbass lottery in the first place. And in case a superstar talent like LBJ does come out once every generation (andrew luck/peyton/elway in NFL) and teams want to put their players, coaches and fans through a losing season in a race for the best pick, then let them!

But super teams are fun and good for leagues because they're feel good stories initially which bring people together, then become villains which also brings people together. Story lines are easier, marketing them is easier. So, 'go super teams go! We'll just **** around with the lottery system!'

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hate superteams.  The idea that a player is showing he "wants to win" by going to another 3 all-star team is laughable. I think we finally saw a bit of backlash against Durant.  OTOH, your argument is to discourage the teams tying to win, not the teams trying to lose.  I think that is a bad plan. 

Discouraging formations of superteams is not discouraging winning. That would be like saying the salary cap is discouraging winning. It's not. It's (at least in theory) discouraging the ability to buy talent. I'm not going to pretend to understand the NBA cap and all their rules, but I have a feeling someone better at it than me would be able to come up with a relatively simple rule which would discourage the formation of super teams while not discourage winning.