Sign in to follow this  
Barry McCockinner

Andy Reid - QB Whisperer

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yesterday put him in.

He took 2 teams to a SB, and now, finally won one.

I think he was already in but he's a lock now.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Converting two 4th-and-1 plays was ballsy and making them both work, with a team that isn't really built to grind out a yard, was incredible.  But I don't think it's fair to say KC wasn't as good as SF.  You pretty much had best defense in league vs. best offense in league.  And on the other side, KC's defense and SF's offense are both good but not great.  I saw it as pretty even.  But I'll admit Deebo Samuel surprise me and between him and Kittle, they have enough weapons.  I just think Jimmy G is a Ryan Tannehill / Dak Prescott type.  Pretty good at everything when the situation is perfect, but falls apart under pressure.  On the other hand, Mahomes is more like Favre.  Kind of needs to get pissed off to get going.  But then it's "Hold My Beer" time. :).

SF had the 4th ranked O in yards, 2nd in points.  A very tough schedule.  The Chiefs had the 6th best O in yards, 5th in points.  SF O was arguably the most balanced O in the NFL this year.  

I saw both QB's rattled by the big stage.  Reid remained aggressive and showed faith in Mahomes who finally broke through.  Shanahan on the other hand was clearly playing tight and I believe that having a play caller tight impacts the QB.  It was a big spot for Garapollo and Shanahan never really showed him that he believed in him.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

SF had the 4th ranked O in yards, 2nd in points.  A very tough schedule.  The Chiefs had the 6th best O in yards, 5th in points.  SF O was arguably the most balanced O in the NFL this year.  

I saw both QB's rattled by the big stage.  Reid remained aggressive and showed faith in Mahomes who finally broke through.  Shanahan on the other hand was clearly playing tight and I believe that having a play caller tight impacts the QB.  It was a big spot for Garapollo and Shanahan never really showed him that he believed in him.  

Interesting take and could be.  I think the difference is that Mahomes and KC seem to have shown a pattern of starting slowly and then eventually hitting the gas.  With that team, they really only need a few minutes to flip the scoreboard.  And Mahomes really is that good and yes, having both Reid and Mahomes knowing that helps.  No question Mahomes was way off his game in the first half (3 quarter really) but it was mostly a matter of waiting to see if he'd wake up.  Once he did, you almost knew it was game over.

I didn't see as much of SF this season, but I just don't see the same thing in Jimmy G.  He's the kind of QB who wins 2 SBs with the 2009/2010 Jets.  Very good when the team around him is good.  But he really fell apart when KC got pressure on him.  Maybe that was Shannahan.  Hard to tell without watching the game again (which I might).

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Converting two 4th-and-1 plays was ballsy and making them both work, with a team that isn't really built to grind out a yard, was incredible.  But I don't think it's fair to say KC wasn't as good as SF.  You pretty much had best defense in league vs. best offense in league.  And on the other side, KC's defense and SF's offense are both good but not great.  I saw it as pretty even.  But I'll admit Deebo Samuel surprise me and between him and Kittle, they have enough weapons.  I just think Jimmy G is a Ryan Tannehill / Dak Prescott type.  Pretty good at everything when the situation is perfect, but falls apart under pressure.  On the other hand, Mahomes is more like Favre.  Kind of needs to get pissed off to get going.  But then it's "Hold My Beer" time. :).

Reid ran the ball a little more than I expected, and it worked, including on some 3rd and 4th downs.

Andy was masterful in his play calling.  It took a little while to get going and I have to say that Mahomes wasn't really sharp early in the game.  Some bad passes, short passes, some throws behind guys and 2 INTs.  But once the dam finally cracked (on a long, masterful route by Tyreek Hill) it really juiced KC.

KC was balanced, used Kelce at some key times but not for any huge chunk plays, and they beat Sherman a couple times, once for that key, deep sideline pass to Sammy Watkins.

I'm going to rewatch the game at some point and really enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

tenor.gif?itemid=3528773

Delighted for Reid. Seems a great guy and it's been a while coming. 

Has been a consistent winner through different teams with multiple QB's. Not easy to do in the NFL. Called a great game yesterday and had Mahomes been himself they probably kill that game much earlier. 

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Reid ran the ball a little more than I expected, and it worked, including on some 3rd and 4th downs.

Andy was masterful in his play calling.  It took a little while to get going and I have to say that Mahomes wasn't really sharp early in the game.  Some bad passes, short passes, some throws behind guys and 2 INTs.  But once the dam finally cracked (on a long, masterful route by Tyreek Hill) it really juiced KC.

KC was balanced, used Kelce at some key times but not for any huge chunk plays, and they beat Sherman a couple times, once for that key, deep sideline pass to Sammy Watkins.

I'm going to rewatch the game at some point and really enjoy it.

This is a very re-watchable game for the reasons you stated.  

• Upvote 1

Wilford Brimley still wants his mustache back.

13 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3528773

Delighted for Reid. Seems a great guy and it's been a while coming. 

Has been a consistent winner through different teams with multiple QB's. Not easy to do in the NFL. Called a great game yesterday and had Mahomes been himself they probably kill that game much earlier. 

Weird because up until yesterday the consensus on this board is he was a choke artist who would never win the big one.

Psst... if you can get a team to a SB, you have what it takes to win a SB.