Time To Reset Expectations for Sam

jetspenguin

My expectations for him were a lot lower than I think a lot of NYJ fans had at the beginning of the season. That’s no knock on Sam.

- I knew he just turned 21 and needed time to develop (Something a lot of people were saying, him sitting for half a year to a year wouldn’t be a bad thing). I actually am happy we started him. I’d rather he get a fee for game speed, learn defenses, and settle in by playing now.

- I knew we had a bad OL, with limited to no offensive weapons.

- I knew our HC is really Jeff Fisher, but after Jax is worse and more conservative than him.

- Our OC was calling plays for the first time in a decade.

- Our D would look good on paper and fold in every 4th quarter. 

I have seen enough to know Darnold has elite talent ability. He makes some real beautiful throws, and looks the part. I have also seen bad rookie mistakes, which I antcipated. 

I’m not sure why anyone thought he would be a pro bowl player in Year 1 (at his age). Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs his Rookie year, 28! He may not hit his prime until his 4th season, and he’ll still only be 25.

This year is all about learning and gaining experience. Hopefully the new HC and/or GM will have an offensive structure and system and personnel to compliment our FQB for years to come.

Our expectations for Sam are much lower and will remain low until we hire a new coaching staff thats adequate on the offensive side of the ball. Kids got talent but his development will be hindered by conservative play calling, bad coaching decisions and a lackluster defense 

I honestly feel for the kid and his family. I am sure he does not even know what has hit him or what he has gotten himself into with this organization. I do know he has the skill set and head to become an elite QB if the morons at Florham Park do not ruin him within this season or until such timer as we infuse competent coaching and systems.

Sam is a football junkie and has a good head on his shoulders. (At least that is my impression of him). As long he does not get seriously injured I think this year will be a good experience for him. Hopefully things will start to slow down more for him soon.

9 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

How can you expect anything from him other than that?  He has no protection, is constantly on the run, and apparently has been told to leave his arm on the sideline.... 

For a guy - as you say - is constantly on the run, he fails to help the team by running from the pocket when the opportunity arises. Second and six is better than second and 10, but this inept, offensive scheme and coaches have shackled him inside the pocket with the only option being throw the ball away. It will hopefully get better next year when the new HC brings a new offensive philosophy and allows the QB to "play to win the game."

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This year is all about learning and gaining experience. Hopefully the new HC and/or GM will have an offensive structure and system and personnel to compliment our FQB for years to come.

So, I guess we are all in agreement that Blowes will NOT be back next season and that an offensive minded coach will be brought in. That is great as the Jets under Blowes find not only new ways to lose, but they trot out some very familiar ways to lose as well. What kills me is blowing games they should win and this HC acting like it is all part of the "learning process". Hell no as Steven A Smith would say. You win the games you have a chance to win and you don't beat yourself.

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

My expectations for him were a lot lower than I think a lot of NYJ fans had at the beginning of the season. That’s no knock on Sam.

- I knew he just turned 21 and needed time to develop (Something a lot of people were saying, him sitting for half a year to a year wouldn’t be a bad thing). I actually am happy we started him. I’d rather he get a fee for game speed, learn defenses, and settle in by playing now.

- I knew our HC is really Jeff Fisher, but after Jax is worse and more conservative than him.

I have seen enough to know Darnold has elite talent ability. He makes some real beautiful throws, and looks the part. I have also seen bad rookie mistakes, which I antcipated. 

I’m not sure why anyone thought he would be a pro bowl player in Year 1 (at his age). Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs his Rookie year, 28! He may not hit his prime until his 4th season, and he’ll still only be 25.

Pretty much all of this.  Anyone expecting the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history playing on this team that thought he would come in and set the league on fire is/was delusional.  He's a baby with 3 years of playing experience on a terrible Football team.  This year was never going to be successful in the win column and not because of Sam but because the Jets suck and are probably the worst coached team in Football.  Pairing a rookie risk taker QB like Sam Darnold with a conservative moron who can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag was a disaster in the making.  And here we are.  The fear I had with taking Mayfield was the Todd would neuter him and now he's doing it to Sam.  Luckily, I think Sam's mental make up can handle it. 

All that said, the season was never about expectations for Sam or the Jets, it's all about letting the rookie go out there and gain experience.  It would awesome if it was more of a healthy experience, setting him for success rather than constantly putting him terrible situations but I suppose it's experience nonetheless.  I dont care if he breaks Manning's INT record.  Let him!  Doesnt matter.  All that matters is he gets the live experience and can build off it.  We've seen plenty of rookie QB's not look the part and come on the following season in recent history.  I know the league has a ton of examples of the opposite but from what I've seen from Sam, he'll be very good in the league for a long long time. 

A successful season for this pathetic franchise ends like this; a healthy Sam Darnold with a year of experience under his belt, a fired Bowles and Mac, and a top 5 pick.  Legitimately, nothing else matters because this team is going nowhere under the current regime. 

6 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

So, I guess we are all in agreement that Blowes will NOT be back next season and that an offensive minded coach will be brought in. That is great as the Jets under Blowes find not only new ways to lose, but they trot out some very familiar ways to lose as well. What kills me is blowing games they should win and this HC acting like it is all part of the "learning process". Hell no as Steven A Smith would say. You win the games you have a chance to win and you don't beat yourself.

If you think this season was about anything more than Sam's development then you are mistaken. Even though I think it is being handled poorly, that's the only thing that matters. I think that week one game, the media pumping up his progress may have unreasonably inflated expectations about what he would be able to accomplish this year. We knew (some of us did) that the line wasnt great, we knew that our WR's were barely capable, we knew what our coach was and is, we knew that the OC hasnt called plays in years and he was inexperienced to begin with.....despite knowing all these things people are still upset because the team (and Sam) is doing pretty much what we should have expected to begin with. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

A successful season for this pathetic franchise ends like this; a healthy Sam Darnold with a year of experience under his belt, a fired Bowles and Mac, and a top 5 pick.  Legitimately, nothing else matters because this team is going nowhere under the current regime. 

This is what I predicted before the season started both on JN and to my friends and family (mostly Giants/Pats fan). I don't care about W/L record this year. I want Sam healthy, I want him to get good exposure to the highs and lows of a season, I want him to progress near the end of the year, and I want a bad enough season to where we get to pull a Rams: hit reset after year 1. New GM, new HC, new OC, new DC, high round picks, and tons of cap space.

Sam's doing his part by staying healthy and getting his experience. The key will be: can we get a HC/OC that will realize Sam's full potential and allow a DC to fully run with the D and realize the potential of all these high picks and FAs by running an aggressive, level-complimentary defense? To say I'm envious of the Rams situation with McVay running the offense and being hands off while Wade Phillips runs the D would be an understatement.

52 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Nailed it

Or maybe We should scale back the unrealistic expectations a lot of guys had for Sam going into the season. Some guys had this team making the playoffs. Please. This season is all about development. All you can expect is for Sam to make progress and at the end of the season he should be much better than he was at the start. I got news for some guys too. 2020 should be the year you're looking at if you want to contend. Especially if Bowles is toast after this season.

My expectations for this season have always been that Darnold comes out of it injury free with a full year of game experience under his belt that he will build on and grow from and NOT form bad habits resulting from a porous OL and and no weapons to help him at WR and TE.  So far, not good.  Let's hope that despite all the roadblocks in Sams way, his talent and pedigree are enough for him to rise above his sh*tty coach and roster and get better this year.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

pretty much.. it's early yet  ? 

mac is gonna have to " UPgrade " our roster.   that's gonna take at Least 2 more GOOD drafts @  3 or 4 Solid free agent signings.

cheers ~ ~   

:beer:

The last 3 weeks is what I was expecting, with flashes of what we saw in week 1. If you take all 4 weeks and scramble them a bit to spread the good over 4 games, it matches pretty much what we all should've expected. A lot of the good stuff was just front loaded.

I think what's clear is we need a HC/GM who are going to do everything they can to support this kids development as he is not a can't miss prospect. That is scheme, and talent. If we are picking top 5 and go defense again we should storm the castle

it's not just about darnold.  it's the whole team that is meeting low expectations.  a few guys are coming to play and execute their jobs right but the rest are going through the motions as if they believe that they can't win with a rookie qb.  this is on bowles because he probably thinks that way too.

2 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

My expectation for Sam is that he avoids getting killed... End of Story!

That's a good start. Wish they had started McCown and just had Sam learn for the 1st 6-8 weeks. Like KC did with Mahomes.

I just rewatched the Jags game. I mean it was disgusting how the OL played. Sam didn’t even have a single second to set his feet. He made so many off balanced throws because of it. It was just BAD. 

He also missed a ton of opportunities and I hope McCown sits down with him and tells him not to be so skiddish next game. The OL is really bad and it’s showing. The heat was in Darnolds face all game and has been all year.

44 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Or maybe We should scale back the unrealistic expectations a lot of guys had for Sam going into the season. Some guys had this team making the playoffs. Please. This season is all about development. All you can expect is for Sam to make progress and at the end of the season he should be much better than he was at the start. I got news for some guys too. 2020 should be the year you're looking at if you want to contend. Especially if Bowles is toast after this season.

this

I remember when the Jets started 0-2 last year and looked well on their way to           0-16/1-15. There were reports at that time that Darnold was considering staying at college another year.

I forget who but one analyst said “Who would give being a top 5 pick.”

Other analyst responds, “You do to avoid being on the Jets.” Perception is reality here.

Time to get a FOOTBALL Guy as VP, clean house and ensure Darnold has every opportunity to fulfill his potential. 

Archived