Time To Reset Expectations for Sam

jetspenguin

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I just rewatched the Jags game. I mean it was disgusting how the OL played. Sam didn’t even have a single second to set his feet. He made so many off balanced throws because of it. It was just BAD. 

the new york Jets offensive line has only allowed Sam Darnold to get hit 16 times all season  5th fewest in the NFL. of those 16 hits, there were 10 sacks total which is 18th fewest. 

that's 4 hits a game

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT

the stats are all there I'm not even a stats guy that's just because I can't post the whole gamepass game here and go play by play and show you how the OL is usually giving Sam time to throw.

everyone saying the OL is garbage, that's not what's happening.  they aren't dominators but the kid is like a half second too slow on everything cause he's the world's youngest starting professional QB.

Blaming the OL the coach, that's looking for a scapegoat.  And if your looking for a scapegoat I have one for you his name is Woody Woodrow Johnson and his butlers are in the UK, making sure the Lord of the manor continues to not give a F. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

the new york Jets offensive line has only allowed Sam Darnold to get hit 16 times all season  5th fewest in the NFL. of those 16 hits, there were 10 sacks total which is 18th fewest. 

that's 4 hits a game

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT

the stats are all there I'm not even a stats guy that's just because I can't post the whole gamepass game here and go play by play and show you how the OL is usually giving Sam time to throw.

everyone saying the OL is garbage, that's not what's happening. the kid is like a half second too slow on everything cause he's the world's youngest starting professional QB. Blaming the OL is what people do who are looking for a scapegoat. 

Do these stats including how many times the OL caved and were pushed back in his face which forces him reset, move or throw too soon?

If you can’t see how the OL is affecting the way he plays the QB position then you don’t know much, period.

and you do know football so spare me on that and give me a better argument than stats that have nothing to do with the actual issue.

4 hours ago, SR24 said:

We got a Ferrari this offseason and are servicing it at a Scion dealership. Change the staff and we'll see success

Ha! Appropriate because Scion no longer exists :) 

however question for you mavens that know way more than I do ,,,

Can this guy even throw long? All I have seen are fluttering inaccurate balls. He seems worse than Sanchez at it (sorry not meaning to offend, just what I honestly see)

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Do these stats including how many times the OL caved and were pushed back in his face which forces him reset, move or throw too soon?

If you can’t see how the OL is affecting the way he plays the QB position then you don’t know much, period.

These are the stats recording how many times he's been hit. Its not perfect but it provides context. Brady gets rid of the ball better than anyone he's got 23 total hits. 

the Houston Texans line (which is from all accounts, awful) has allowed 43 total hits on Watson. 

Fans around here want to believe If only the Jets had a much better coach and a perfect offensive line, Sam Darnold would be throwing more accurately, quicker, on time even. 

nope. he's a rookie with 3 years starting experience at any level. These mistakes are happening because he's raw, not because he's hurried more than other NFL qbs. And all NFL qbs get hurried, this expectation the line is going to allow him to set up a lazy-boy and chill for seven seconds, that's not the league anymore. 16 times he's been hit in 4 games. we should be praising the line to keep the rookie that clean under these conditions (Myles Garrett, Jags front etc)

It feels like everyone bashing the line does so because they bought a Darnold jersey this summer and dont want to admit buyer's remorse. like if the team changes  the HC and all starting 5 linemen, Darnold will be better

by the time they do all that, Darnold will be better. This is what growing pains look like.

Just now, bitonti said:

These are the stats recording how many times he's been hit. Its not perfect but it provides context. 

the Houston Texans line (which is from all accounts, awful) has allowed 43 total hits on Watson. 

Fans around here want to believe If only the Jets had a much better coach and a perfect offensive line, Sam Darnold would be throwing more accurately, quicker, on time even. 

nope. he's a rookie with 3 years starting experience at any level. These mistakes are happening because he's raw, not because he's hurried more than other NFL qbs. And all NFL qbs get hurried, this expectation the line is going to allow him to set up a lazy-boy and chill for seven seconds, that's not the league anymore.

It feels like everyone bashing the line does so because they bought a Darnold jersey this summer and dont want to admit buyer's remorse 

oooh really scintillating take here

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

These are the stats recording how many times he's been hit. Its not perfect but it provides context. Brady gets rid of the ball better than anyone he's got 23 total hits. 

nope. he's a rookie with 3 years starting experience at any level. These mistakes are happening because he's raw, not because he's hurried more than other NFL qbs. And all NFL qbs get hurried, this expectation the line is going to allow him to set up a lazy-boy and chill for seven seconds, that's not the league anymore. 16 times he's been hit in 4 games. we should be praising the line to keep the rookie that clean under these conditions (Myles Garrett, Jags front etc)

It feels like everyone bashing the line does so because they bought a Darnold jersey this summer and dont want to admit buyer's remorse. like if the team changes  the HC and all starting 5 linemen, Darnold will be better

by the time they do all that, Darnold will be better. This is what growing pains look like.

Lot of words just to say that your previous posted stats don’t hold weight.

23 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Ha! Appropriate because Scion no longer exists :) 

however question for you mavens that know way more than I do ,,,

Can this guy even throw long? All I have seen are fluttering inaccurate balls. He seems worse than Sanchez at it (sorry not meaning to offend, just what I honestly see)

2 hours ago, peebag said:

… but that was only once and three games ago. Even Mike Taliaferro hit one every so often. Many over/under throws since then and looking really bad in that area in the practice I went to. Lots of air under the ball and no hits in stride. Even in the Anderson TD, noted here, he had to slow a tad to catch the ball (was far ahead of the DB, had to slow and the DB was almost was able to knock it away). 

I'm asking this because I didn't see any USC games and I am curious if he can do it. Since there is so much love here for the guy I am assuming/hoping that he can do this accurately on a regular basis, which is absolutely necessary in this league. Again, not looking to impugn everyone's hero, just want to know what you experts opine in this regard. 

I gotta be honest, "he doesn't cry after he embarrasses himself" was not the he bar I was expecting lol

With that said, this staff is doing everything 100 % exactly the opposite of what he needs so I'm going to give him a pass on the entire year 

Sad actually 

Archived