Could Todd Bowles be fired in season ?

Jetsplayer21

I know it is a long shot, but it was for the giants too last year.  

I am hoping that is not the case, because for that to happen we would have to playing embarrassingly bad. But if the players really lose discipline, and stop playing for Bowles,  why not give Bates a few games as a audition.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think it is possible, depending on next 3 games and if he loses the locker room (again)

This is interesting. I’m sure the plan is to wait til the end of the year but if there is a toxic locker room implosion, they may have to. Like to save the team.

He will surely be thrown under the bus if it gets that bad (already on its way) and I don’t think anyone in the NFL will hold it against the Jets. They already “did their time” by being patient and sticking by this buffoon of a coach. 

14 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I am hoping that is not the case, because for that to happen we would have to playing embarrassingly bad. But if the players really lose discipline, and stop playing for Bowles,  why not give Bates a few games as a audition.

Maybe because Bates has shown absolutely NOTHING so far that would make anyone think he deserves it? Or could do it?

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is interesting. I’m sure the plan is to wait til the end of the year but if there is a toxic locker room implosion, they may have to. Like to save the team.

He will surely be thrown under the bus if it gets that bad (already on its way) and I don’t think anyone in the NFL will hold it against the Jets. They already “did their time” by being patient and sticking by this buffoon of a coach. 

“Buffoon”. Love that word.  Bowles is nothing short of a big, fat, lazy, lying buffoon. Bowles doesn’t say much but when he does open his mouth - insert foot! The guy has no business being a head coach of an NFL team. Don’t know how he won over our sharp as a butter knife owner but he did. Jets won’t be saving his job this season though. The cat is out of the bag and Bowles will be gone soon enough.

Todd Bowles will be fired on one of these dates :

*Monday October 22nd - After we lose the next 3 straight at home and drop to 1-6

*Monday 26th November - After we drop to 1-11 having been beaten by the Bills and Pats in consecutive weeks

*Tuesday January 1st - They stick with him and see the season out then fire him the day after the Pats game.

*Actual dates may differ depending on your time zone. :)

49 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

because Bates is a major part of the problem. Nothing in his record on

other teams e worked for, or even his work as our QB coach, remotely

suggested he deserved promotion to OC

37 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Bates is running the conservative O Bowles wanted Morton to run last yr. Bowles reprimanded Morton for his “ air raid “ O and told him to real it back in. Morton refused to listen to Bowles,so he was going to be gone no matter what for insubordination.

44 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

The point is he cannot possibly be worse than Todd Bowles. Wouldn’t hurt to take a chance. At least he would be free to run the O how he sees fit,without Bowles keeping him overly conservative 

When Bowles does get fired he'll end up being the next Hue Jackson, hired for no other reason than to satisfy the league minority mandate. 

Hes a f*cking terrible coach! Worse than Hue! Wow, this organization is maddening. Bowles seat should have been on FIRE after the Buffalo debacle in 2015, and things have gotten progressively worse since. Only the Jets.

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I am hoping that is not the case, because for that to happen we would have to playing embarrassingly bad. But if the players really lose discipline, and stop playing for Bowles,  why not give Bates a few games as a audition.

If the losses to Cleveland and Jax weren't embarrassingly bad, than I don't know what is. The fact is, however, Chris Johnson doesn't have the testicles to do it, and Woody would have none of it

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

not by a Johnson, there isn't.  And Bates has not earned it, as John Houseman would say.  I am afraid we are stuck with Todd "Punt it" Blowes for the rest of the year.  Doubt he will resign.  And......you have to dump Rodgers, too.  Too complicated.  The jets will win some games this year because Sam is good and he will improve.  But Blowes game management will not.  He has not shown the capacity for improvement, only regression.  Peter Principle walking.

No way do I want to promote Bates - he has one focus this year, and that is to develop our young QB. If we put him in charge of everything, that focus goes because suddenly he's got the defense and special teams to work on too.

If we do flush Bowles, my preference would be Dennison as interim coach.

If you want to hire a coach that will be in demand you have to prove that ownership will give its coaches time to get the right players and to install the system and won't bend to the fans and sports radio 

The billboard incident probably turned off a hundred coaches to ever coming here and I hope it never happens again 

Bowles has had time so now ownership needs to support him privately and publicly 

Chances are if the Jets are going for the hot assistant everybody else wants they will have to wait for the guy to lose in the playoffs 

So why fire him now? 

It just tells all the other coaches that nothing has changed around here and it's a dead end job for B level candidates 

9 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Agreed, but I don't have confidence in anybody in this organization to pick the right coach. We need one to fall in our laps like some of our draft picks. Hopefully there is a offensive minded coach that would love to coach SD and the Jets. It's time to build an offense, and have a proper D coordinator running the D, as I am sure most Jet fans feel the same. The sad thing is I am hoping SD has enough mental toughness (which I think he does) to make it through until he has the right CS. I would mind firing him later in the season if we were able to get a jump on a worthy candidate.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He will be the head football coach come game one next year no matter if we go 1-15.  Book it.   More than likely the team will cobble together 5 or 6 wins and win a few at the end of the year to show 'we are going in the right direction'. 

I will not go to another game or spend a dime on any JETS stuff while Bowles is our HC.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

If you want to hire a coach that will be in demand you have to prove that ownership will give its coaches time to get the right players and to install the system and won't bend to the fans and sports radio 

The billboard incident probably turned off a hundred coaches to ever coming here and I hope it never happens again 

Bowles has had time so now ownership needs to support him privately and publicly 

Chances are if the Jets are going for the hot assistant everybody else wants they will have to wait for the guy to lose in the playoffs 

So why fire him now? 

It just tells all the other coaches that nothing has changed around here and it's a dead end job for B level candidates 

Bullsh*t. First of all, nobody was hanging billboards/flying banners telling ownership to fire the head coach. The wrath of the fanbase was aimed squarely at John Idzik, not Rex Ryan.

Second of all, there are plenty of reasons to NOT want the Jets' HC job, but fearing fans hanging up billboards after three years of being awful is NOT one of them.

IMO, this should have been done last January instead of the opposite stupid thing they did, extending him off of 2 5-11 hideous seasons. Now we waste another season with or without him, I mean where are we going by firing everyone mid season? And where are we going if we keep him until the end? As another poster put, firing him is important, but who replaces him is more important and you are not going to find anyone mid season. 

39 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

IMO, this should have been done last January instead of the opposite stupid thing they did, extending him off of 2 5-11 hideous seasons. Now we waste another season with or without him, I mean where are we going by firing everyone mid season? And where are we going if we keep him until the end? As another poster put, firing him is important, but who replaces him is more important and you are not going to find anyone mid season. 

Exactly. Let him and Mac sink with the ship. Offseason is going to be a mess with all of our own free agents that we have to resign and possibly finding a new GM. 

Archived