If We Lose to Denver

TNJet

9 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

9 teams have 3 or more wins. 

We are within 1 game of the rest of the league (23 teams). 

The ‘sky-is-falling’ SOJFs are probably better served waiting until AFTER we play the game to start complaining about our losses. 

I'm curious- what gives you optimism that this team will "turn it around"?

14 hours ago, chirorob said:

Who takes over mid season?

Our D co-ordinator is ill.  (#1, hope he gets better).   No one really likes our O co-ordinator.   So, who do you really think wants the job?

Maybe Morton ? Lol. Offense was a lot better, and he didn’t have Quincy, darnold, Crowell , prior

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That was ages ago. And week 1 of the regular season has become an extension of the preseason because of the practice rules.

In short, that game has been rendered meaningless.

Yeah but, in that game we scored on offense, defense, and specials.  It shows that all three units have potential. If we could just get two of the three to start firing on all cylinders we can be competitive in any game. 

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Yeah but, in that game we scored on offense, defense, and specials.  It shows that all three units have potential. If we could just get two of the three to start firing on all cylinders we can be competitive in any game. 

No, it doesn't show that.  No, we can't be competitive in most games.  We have the worst roster in the league, and a coaching staff that has basically lost the team.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, it doesn't show that.  No, we can't be competitive in most games.  We have the worst roster in the league, and a coaching staff that has basically lost the team.  

I don’t know man. If Darnold connects on a couple of those missed passes in the games we’ve lost, I think we’re looking at a better record. 

18 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I don’t know man. If Darnold connects on a couple of those missed passes in the games we’ve lost, I think we’re looking at a better record. 

Record doesn't matter this season.  It never did.  It's all about Darnold's development and seeing what else we need to surround him with.  As it's turned out, we seem to be hurting Darnold's development, and need upgrades at every position on the field other than DT and SS.  

Sure, we could have put lipstick on a pig and ended up going about 7-9 this season.  But what good would that have done?  We'd have a middle of the pack draft slot and would be guaranteed to retain Bowles and Maccagnan for another go-round.  

The earliest I can see him getting fired is late in the season but I don't even see that happening.  In-season firings just don't happen that often in the NFL.  My guess is that it's too complicated for a new HC to come in and learn all the players and install a system, etc.  That plus it's unfair to a new HC to try to succeed in that situation.  I think that's why they always (afaik) move an existing coach (e.g. a coordinator) to the HC role (because they already are familiar w/ how things run).  I wonder if it's ever happened where a coach from completely outside an organization has been brought in during a season.  Obviously another piece of this equation is "why would a good HC just be sitting out there unemployed to begin with?"  I can't imagine a team would let you poach one of their coordinators in-season.

When is Bowles' contract up btw?  I know he got a 2 year extension but was he already signed through this current football season and now he has 2 more seasons?  Or is he only signed through next season?  If we have a crappy season again this year (let's say another 5-11), I think there's even still a chance they give him one more year.

He's in year 4 right now but what is his "signature win"?  Shouldn't there be one?  The only one I can think of is the win at home vs the Pats the week before we collapsed against the Bills to miss the playoffs.  Other than that, his tenure has been pretty uninspiring.  I'm certainly no expert on being an NFL HC but I feel like good coaches make successful halftime adjustments.  I don't recall that happening very often under Bowles.  It's just consistently (mostly) mediocre football.  Adding to that are the many head-scratchers like his decision to kick a FG down 22 points, punting (instead of going on 4th down) late in the game last week, and the surrenders.  I'm sure Bowles is better than I give him credit for but we know it hasn't translated into wins.  2 straight years of 5-11 and now it looks like we're heading for another lost season.  

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Record doesn't matter this season.  It never did.  It's all about Darnold's development and seeing what else we need to surround him with.  As it's turned out, we seem to be hurting Darnold's development, and need upgrades at every position on the field other than DT and SS.  

Sure, we could have put lipstick on a pig and ended up going about 7-9 this season.  But what good would that have done?  We'd have a middle of the pack draft slot and would be guaranteed to retain Bowles and Maccagnan for another go-round.  

This. I don’t/can’t root against this team but this result from losing is the only “glass half full” or silver lining  outlook that I can have. Better draft pick and housecleaning is a very real result of a bad season. I just want to bite he bullet and get this over with so we can move forward with the right front office/coaching staff and our super talented rookie QB who can literally be what we need to carry this team in the near future.

We have to do a better job putting a team around him. We got arguably the hardest piece but it means nothing with a terrible coaching staff and terrible o-line which is the most important unit on the team in my opinion. 

Archived