Game Observations (DEN)

KRL

After an awful three weeks of football the Jets finally put together a complete
effort and defeated DEN 34-16.  A game that started with two "here we go again"
moments (Bilal Powell fumble & Jason Myers missed FG) changed on the first of three
huge offensive plays.  Shockingly Von Miller, Bradley Chubb and Shane Ray were
neutralized by an OLine that had been struggling, let's take a look:

Special Teams

- Lachlan Edwards was excellent again and it seems like he's finally ended our
search for a punter.  Even though it didn't matter in the final score, Jason
Myers has got to tighten up his kicking.  You can't miss a 30 yard chip shot

- Uneven game by Andre Roberts, he had that game changing 50 yard punt return.
But his other punt and kick returns weren't great.  What I don't want to see
is Trenton Cannon returning punts again this year.  I know Roberts was banged up
but Cannon is totally unreliable

Defense

- A lot of different schematic looks today.  In the nickel there were a ton of
2-4-5 formations with the two OLB's standing up on the line to bring pressure.
Also Mo Claiborne floated back to safety and almost tricked Case Keenum into
an INT

- Leonard Williams has been a disappointment through the first four games of
the season.  But today he was the best defensive player on the field.  Williams
was excellent as he dominated in both phases with multiple sacks and TFL's

- Another good game by Henry Anderson as he was solid in run support and 
pushed the pocket in the passing game

- Solid games by Brandon Copeland, Frankie Luvu and Jeremiah Attaochu.  Attaochu
was particularly effective as he got a strip sack and generated a holding 
penalty coming off the edge

- Strong game by Mo Claiborne as he was good in coverage, almost had two INT's
and was solid in run support

- Darryl Roberts and Parry Nickerson were solid as they stepped in for Trumaine
Johnson and Buster Skrine

- Marcus Maye finally looked like himself today as he was all over the field.
Helping the CB's in coverage, delivering big shots to receivers and almost
scoring on a 105 yard INT

- A total "fantasy football" game by Case Keenum.  As he generated a ton of "pretty
stats" but they were meaningless because the game was already decided.  When the 
Jets were on a 34-3 run Keenum was nowhere to be found

Offense

- The OLine were the stars of the game.  They dominated DEN front seven and "broke
their will" in the second half.  In the run game they opened up massive holes and 
in pass blocking they took Miller, Chubb and Ray out of the game.  Special credit 
should be given to the TE's and WR's for their edge blocking as that sprung some
of those long runs.  Spencer Long has to tighten up his shotgun snaps because there
were at least three which messed up the timing of the play

- Robby Anderson broke out in a huge way as he torched Bradley Roby for two (70+ 
and 30+ yards) long TD's.  He still has to work on his routes but his speed is
special.  CB's know Anderson goes vertical and they still can't cover him

- Great tandem game by Bilal Powell and Isaiah Crowell.  When you get 300+ yards
on the ground you make it easy on your rookie QB

- Shocking to say but a poor game by Quincy Enunwa as he had multiple drops

- Nice to see a Terrelle Pryor sighting as he made an excellent catch on Sam Darnold's
final TD

- Sam Darnold game was the exact opposite of Keenum's.  His numbers weren't pretty but
when the game was up for grabs he made clutch plays.  On vertical routes which Darnold
had struggled with he threw TD's to Anderson which changed the momentum of the game.
In addition Darnold showed his toughness as he ran 30+ yards down the field to throw a
block on another long run by Powell  

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Shocking to say but a poor game by Quincy Enunwa as he had multiple drops

Quincy Enunwa was held catch-less on five targets in the Jets' Week 5 win over the Broncos.

Announcers revealed during the game that Enunwa seemed to be dealing with a hand injury when they spoke to him in the lead-up to Sunday, and Enunwa indeed donned a brace of some sort on his hand against Denver. He dropped a quick screen, and a Sam Darnold would-be touchdown throw glanced off Enunwa's fingertips. Enunwa is shaping up as a risky WR3 option entering Week 6 versus the Colts.

Agree with KRL assessment, total team effort, very few mistakes today. What I learned today is when KC Rodgers gets well and comes back, he has to be re-designated or made the assistant DC because the defense looked totally different today. They really only gave up 1 TD and 1 FG, the first TD was a gift after a fumble on our 20. The D were all over the field today. Loved Leo's game, saw him standing a lot and got 2 sacks. I said that weeks ago we should stand him up, with his speed he should be able to get pressure.

Problem with Bowles teams has been 1 great effort followed by 3 stinkers for 4 years now.

GREAT QB coming in next week. Hoping today's effort can continue next week, Colts OL is worse than ours.

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Problem with Bowles teams has been 1 great effort followed by 3 stinkers for 4 years now.

Apathy until they feel they have to play to save jobs. Then they kick it on. Impress. Then back to apathy.

We usually get sacks on first or second down, only to let the other team convert a third and long, but getting them on third down today was CLUTCH.

Nickerson was getting picked on at first but then seemed to clean it up.

Good job KRL

The 2 4 5 look was what they did almost every passing down.I feel like they should be so exposed to the run with only two true down lineman in the game but the Jets did such a good job of shooting gaps. They were very disruptive.

Thought it was an excellent game plan all around.

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I have 1 observation. When they protect Sam, meaning give his 2 seconds or more, he looks really good for a rookie. Really good.

Imagine what he could do with the time Brady gets. Oooooh-weeeee!

We need NE refs for that

....in pass blocking they took Miller, Chubb and Ray out of the game

This was unexpected and a HUGE reason we won the game.

We all know the risk to the Jets offense.  Falling behind early to Denver and becoming "pass only" would have tee'd up Darnold for those pass rushing wolves.  It's truly amazing that we made those three guys largely irrelevant today.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Quincy Enunwa was held catch-less on five targets in the Jets' Week 5 win over the Broncos.

Announcers revealed during the game that Enunwa seemed to be dealing with a hand injury when they spoke to him in the lead-up to Sunday, and Enunwa indeed donned a brace of some sort on his hand against Denver. He dropped a quick screen, and a Sam Darnold would-be touchdown throw glanced off Enunwa's fingertips. Enunwa is shaping up as a risky WR3 option entering Week 6 versus the Colts.

good, it made sammy look for others

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This was unexpected and a HUGE reason we won the game.

We all know the risk to the Jets offense.  Falling behind early to Denver and becoming "pass only" would have tee'd up Darnold for those pass rushing wolves.  It's truly amazing that we made those three guys largely irrelevant today.

I swear I didnt even know Ray or Von played today, barely heard either name mentioned

Good job KRL
The 2 4 5 look was what they did almost every passing down.I feel like they should be so exposed to the run with only two true down lineman in the game but the Jets did such a good job of shooting gaps. They were very disruptive.
Thought it was an excellent game plan all around.

With all the doubles that are being thrown at Leo and minimal edge talent, it was a smart move to negate some of those doubles.

I also think timing on offense is what we a starting to see Sam develop. This is so important for the success of a wc offense. Sam talked about it today in his presser. While his arm strength isn’t Stanford or mahomes level, it’s not the issue. It’s timing. He can put the balls through the windows. He’s been flinching weeks 2-4. Today was looser and more in rhythm.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I just can’t wait for next week. This may have been another perfect storm like the Detroit game and need to see better play consistently. It doesn’t have to be at today’s level because a lot of that was on Denver looking as flat as we normally do.

Next “test” is next week. Sam made me very happy today as his progress is most important. Everything else is pure gravy. 

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam played some real qb today.  We are 2-0 when darnold plays well and 0-3 when he plays bad.

If he can stay agressive downfield and put a few good games together, we could be in the thick of things come november.

I couldnt help myself, found myself cheering and clapping ,” Hercules, Hercules “ when he QB muscled for couple first downs too. He’s a kid, let him play and get dirty! 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Calling fellow Jets fans trolls because you don’t agree with their perspective is very cool. 

It's true I'm cool and that I disagree with troll posts about drafting a QB next year

Thing I was glad to see about the deep balls was the receiver was getting hit in stride. Fitz and McCown could both hit Anderson deep, but he often had to slow up to catch the ball ... Sam was leading him perfectly yesterday which makes a big difference.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Archived