What the heck happened to the once excellent mondy night football?

Beerfish

Just awful just dismal.  The play by play guy whoever he is is not good,   Witten is lousy and Booger is awful.  This used to be the flag ship game of football and had the flag ship announcers.

Just blech!

(Oh and I want Pete Carmichael to be our next head coach)

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just awful just dismal.  The play by play guy whoever he is is not good,   Witten is lousy and Booger is awful.  This used to be the flag ship game of football and had the flag ship announcers.

Just blech!

I wonder why Carmichael isn’t one of those “must have” candidates around firing season?

Im asking out loud I don’t know much about him other then he’s Sean Payton’s right hand.....

6 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I wonder why Carmichael isn’t one of those “must have” candidates around firing season?

Im asking out loud I don’t know much about him other then he’s Sean Payton’s right hand.....

Dan Campbell is the assistant head coach and next hot candidate imho

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Did they just give Brees that record? 

They show family on field 

Start talking up record 

Brees throws to WIDE OPEN receiver 

Redskins CB doesn’t even attempt to tackle 

fishy 

In the second quarter? Haha, why would they bother? It’s not like there was any chance that Brees wasn’t getting that record tonight. 

Did they just give Brees that record? 
They show family on field 
Start talking up record 
Brees throws to WIDE OPEN receiver 
Redskins CB doesn’t even attempt to tackle 
fishy 

Not to diminish the accomplishment in any way, I thought the same thing. Seems a bit too ... um... story book. No?

Kinda like the strahan and favre show

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Never mind what happened to MNF. What's happened to Suzy Kolber? Is it me, or does she get hotter and hotter the older she gets?

oh hell yea, was thinking the same thing, Suzy is aging VERY VERY nicely

I don't know what to say. I liked Mike Tirico, but not much else in the last 15 years... but then again, I think Dierdoff was great and I enjoy Fouts and Tasker.. and most of you hate them. So i don't know what this annoucing line up looks like that you guys want.. i've heard a lot of people praise Romo, and I think he's a terrible fit. I don't like his casual storytime approach. 

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Witten is so unnatural. It’s awful to watch. Booger isn’t half bad, but that in the context of the other two sucking.

Watching witten is painful he looks at his comrade not to he camera when he speaks.... new..... but yes it’s bad 

Days of enjoying, waiting for MNF are over sad to say.  Used to wait for matchup, watching teams I haven’t seen pre red zone channel listening to Al Frank and Dan.  Was a simpler and better time.  Now everyone is an expert including 75% of this board 

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

ESPN

ESPN  * Bonnie Bernstein (#2 sideline reporter, 2006–2007) * Trent Dilfer (#2 color commentator, 2010) * Mike Ditka (#2 color commentator, 2007–2008) * Mike Greenberg (#2 play-by-play, 2007–2009) * Mike Golic (#2 color commentator, 2007–2009) * Jon Gruden (color commentator, 2009–present) * Ron Jaworski (color commentator, 2007–present; #2 color commentator, 2006) * Suzy Kolber (sideline reporter, 2006–present) * Tony Kornheiser (color commentator, 2006–2008) * Brad Nessler (#2 play-by-play, 2006 and 2010) * Michele Tafoya (sideline reporter, 2006–present) * Joe Theismann (color commentator, 2006) * Mike Tirico (play-by-play, 2006–present) * Dick Vermeil (#2 color commentator, 2006) * Steve Young (#2 color commentator, 2009)

18 hours ago, Larz said:

Remember these guys? 

Remember when Sunday afternoon nfl was 6 hours of magic time? 

Man nfl broadcasts have really slipped 

I know Summerall is the best voice ever but man it gives me chills 

Summerall used to put me to sleep.  I remember it used to take him a half hour to announce the Vikings player named Kai Lee Wong

Fox paid more, so they put all the good games on Thursday nights this year, look at what we have once Fox started doing the broadcast after Jets/Browns

Week 4: Vikings at Rams 

Week 5: Colts at Patriots

Week 6: Eagles at Giants

Week 7: Broncos at Cardinals 

Week 8: Dolphins at Texans

Week 9: Raiders at 49ers

Week 10: Panthers at Steelers

Week 11: Packers at Seahawks

Week 12: Falcons at Saints

Week 13: Saints at Cowboys

Week 14: Jaguars at Titans

Week 15: Chargers at Chiefs 

There are some seriously good games scheduled for multiple weeks.  Hell, even the Raiders/49ers has that battle for the bay area angle to it.

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Just blech!

NFL announcers are mostly terrible (whereas they used to be mostly terrific).  Remember in the 1980's when we had Vin Scully, Pat Summerall, Dick Enberg, Merlin Olsen, Charlie Jones, Don Criqui, Al Michaels (in his prime),Tom Brookshier, John Madden, Howard Cosell, Frank Glieber, Jack Buck, Marv Albert, Bob Costas, Curt Gowdy, Merle Harmon, etc.

Other than a few exceptions, who's any good now?  Beth Mowens?  

DcSbVeZXUAAlwli.jpg

Monday night football used to be THE one game each week (with the notable exceptions of Thanksgiving and the late year Saturday games), when you could see a national game with the rest of the country. It was an opportunity to see players that you never, or rarely saw. Roone Arledge was a genius in developing it as an entertainment vehicle for the network and fans, and as an event for the host city.

This lasted into the 80's. Then came Sunday night football. Which was still a special vehicle.

As the mid 90's evolved, the wonderful vehicle of NFL Ticket through DirecTV changed the landscape. Everyone could now watch their favorite team, regardless of the city they lived in. A great thing. But it also oversaturated the market and you could have football, any game, at the press of a button. It just become less special.

And of course, as we have all lamented, the Thursday night package killed the golden goose. That and a watering down of football personality and making the sport big business. While it has lined the owners' pockets, it has lessened the spectacle of the game.

I mean, MNF hasn't been the same since ESPN got it and they flipped the marquee game of the week from Monday night to Sunday Night. Frankly, if I were ESPN I'd be furious and doing everything I could to leverage the NFL for a better slate of games. Some of the turd burger MNF matchups they have are just obscene for what ESPN is paying. They do get Rams/Chiefs this year, however, which is going to be AWESOME.

But yeah, the production has gone down too. I don't mind Tessitore but Witten and Booger stink.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:00 PM, 14 in Green said:

Never mind what happened to MNF. What's happened to Suzy Kolber? Is it me, or does she get hotter and hotter the older she gets?

Dude....  Anytime a statement regarding female hotness must include either a photo, GIF or link in the post!!!

Don't let it happen again!

On 10/8/2018 at 10:00 PM, 14 in Green said:

Dude....  Anytime a statement regarding female hotness must include either a photo, GIF or link in the post!!!

Don't let it happen again!

18 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Monday night football used to be THE one game each week (with the notable exceptions of Thanksgiving and the late year Saturday games), when you could see a national game with the rest of the country. It was an opportunity to see players that you never, or rarely saw. Roone Arledge was a genius in developing it as an entertainment vehicle for the network and fans, and as an event for the host city.

This lasted into the 80's. Then came Sunday night football. Which was still a special vehicle.

As the mid 90's evolved, the wonderful vehicle of NFL Ticket through DirecTV changed the landscape. Everyone could now watch their favorite team, regardless of the city they lived in. A great thing. But it also oversaturated the market and you could have football, any game, at the press of a button. It just become less special.

And of course, as we have all lamented, the Thursday night package killed the golden goose. That and a watering down of football personality and making the sport big business. While it has lined the owners' pockets, it has lessened the spectacle of the game.

My Dad says they used to watch MNF just for the halftime highlights of all the week's games.  It wasn't like they had Sportscenter. 

Archived