What the heck happened to the once excellent mondy night football?

Beerfish

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My Dad says they used to watch MNF just for the halftime highlights of all the week's games.  It wasn't like they had Sportscenter. 

That is the absolute truth. Cosell providing commentary over the clips was a much watch each week. It really was the only way to see action throughout the league.

I grew up in the Scranton television market. There was no "home team" territory for that market, so we were subject to usually the best match-up of the weekend (deemed by the local station). 

At best, we would get 3-4 Jet games televised a year. I remember several times that they screwed up, and the games that they advertised they were going to telecast that week, got switched to a Jet game. I also remember praying for a blow-out of the game that was on, because they had "blow-out rules", and when then switch the game to a more competitive game. I got to watch second halves of Jet games on several occasions that way.

Needless to say, when DirectTV came out I subscribed immediately. I am one of their longest standing customers.

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

My Dad says they used to watch MNF just for the halftime highlights of all the week's games.  It wasn't like they had Sportscenter. 

There was no sportscenter and even ESPN was a very different channel in the 80’s and early 90’s.  I remember sportscenter being on one time per day at 11pm with no scroll giving you scores of games you had to change to CNN headline news to get scores because they somehow had a scroll

ESPN’s content used to be 80% bowling, rodeo and crappy minor league pro wrestling

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

There was no sportscenter and even ESPN was a very different channel in the 80’s and early 90’s.  I remember sportscenter being on one time per day at 11pm with no scroll giving you scores of games you had to change to CNN headline news to get scores because they somehow had a scroll

ESPN’s content used to be 80% bowling, rodeo and crappy minor league pro wrestling

I remember having to call some sportsline phone number in the early 90's order to get updates on games. 

Even the networks that were televising the football games were slow in reporting other games going on in the league and often got them wrong. And the reporting of scores was only periodic. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I remember having to call some sportsline phone number in the early 90's order to get updates on games. 

Even the networks that were televising the football games were slow in reporting other games going on in the league and often got them wrong. And the reporting of scores was only periodic. 

People used to care about what they were watching and not what they were missing.

Get Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts on there. They genuinely add to the game watching experience. Fouts is knowledgeable and not a company man so he criticizes the refs when he doesn’t like something. 

I like Booger McFarland so far but the other two don’t add anything. 

Archived