Beerfish

What the heck happened to the once excellent mondy night football?

Rate this topic

Monday night football used to be THE one game each week (with the notable exceptions of Thanksgiving and the late year Saturday games), when you could see a national game with the rest of the country. It was an opportunity to see players that you never, or rarely saw. Roone Arledge was a genius in developing it as an entertainment vehicle for the network and fans, and as an event for the host city.

This lasted into the 80's. Then came Sunday night football. Which was still a special vehicle.

As the mid 90's evolved, the wonderful vehicle of NFL Ticket through DirecTV changed the landscape. Everyone could now watch their favorite team, regardless of the city they lived in. A great thing. But it also oversaturated the market and you could have football, any game, at the press of a button. It just become less special.

And of course, as we have all lamented, the Thursday night package killed the golden goose. That and a watering down of football personality and making the sport big business. While it has lined the owners' pockets, it has lessened the spectacle of the game.

I mean, MNF hasn't been the same since ESPN got it and they flipped the marquee game of the week from Monday night to Sunday Night. Frankly, if I were ESPN I'd be furious and doing everything I could to leverage the NFL for a better slate of games. Some of the turd burger MNF matchups they have are just obscene for what ESPN is paying. They do get Rams/Chiefs this year, however, which is going to be AWESOME.

But yeah, the production has gone down too. I don't mind Tessitore but Witten and Booger stink.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:00 PM, 14 in Green said:

Never mind what happened to MNF. What's happened to Suzy Kolber? Is it me, or does she get hotter and hotter the older she gets?

Dude....  Anytime a statement regarding female hotness must include either a photo, GIF or link in the post!!!

Don't let it happen again!

On 10/8/2018 at 10:00 PM, 14 in Green said:

Never mind what happened to MNF. What's happened to Suzy Kolber? Is it me, or does she get hotter and hotter the older she gets?

Dude....  Anytime a statement regarding female hotness must include either a photo, GIF or link in the post!!!

Don't let it happen again!

18 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Monday night football used to be THE one game each week (with the notable exceptions of Thanksgiving and the late year Saturday games), when you could see a national game with the rest of the country. It was an opportunity to see players that you never, or rarely saw. Roone Arledge was a genius in developing it as an entertainment vehicle for the network and fans, and as an event for the host city.

This lasted into the 80's. Then came Sunday night football. Which was still a special vehicle.

As the mid 90's evolved, the wonderful vehicle of NFL Ticket through DirecTV changed the landscape. Everyone could now watch their favorite team, regardless of the city they lived in. A great thing. But it also oversaturated the market and you could have football, any game, at the press of a button. It just become less special.

And of course, as we have all lamented, the Thursday night package killed the golden goose. That and a watering down of football personality and making the sport big business. While it has lined the owners' pockets, it has lessened the spectacle of the game.

My Dad says they used to watch MNF just for the halftime highlights of all the week's games.  It wasn't like they had Sportscenter. 

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My Dad says they used to watch MNF just for the halftime highlights of all the week's games.  It wasn't like they had Sportscenter. 

That is the absolute truth. Cosell providing commentary over the clips was a much watch each week. It really was the only way to see action throughout the league.

I grew up in the Scranton television market. There was no "home team" territory for that market, so we were subject to usually the best match-up of the weekend (deemed by the local station). 

At best, we would get 3-4 Jet games televised a year. I remember several times that they screwed up, and the games that they advertised they were going to telecast that week, got switched to a Jet game. I also remember praying for a blow-out of the game that was on, because they had "blow-out rules", and when then switch the game to a more competitive game. I got to watch second halves of Jet games on several occasions that way.

Needless to say, when DirectTV came out I subscribed immediately. I am one of their longest standing customers.

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

There was no sportscenter and even ESPN was a very different channel in the 80’s and early 90’s.  I remember sportscenter being on one time per day at 11pm with no scroll giving you scores of games you had to change to CNN headline news to get scores because they somehow had a scroll

ESPN’s content used to be 80% bowling, rodeo and crappy minor league pro wrestling

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

There was no sportscenter and even ESPN was a very different channel in the 80’s and early 90’s.  I remember sportscenter being on one time per day at 11pm with no scroll giving you scores of games you had to change to CNN headline news to get scores because they somehow had a scroll

ESPN’s content used to be 80% bowling, rodeo and crappy minor league pro wrestling

I remember having to call some sportsline phone number in the early 90's order to get updates on games. 

Even the networks that were televising the football games were slow in reporting other games going on in the league and often got them wrong. And the reporting of scores was only periodic. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I remember having to call some sportsline phone number in the early 90's order to get updates on games. 

Even the networks that were televising the football games were slow in reporting other games going on in the league and often got them wrong. And the reporting of scores was only periodic. 

People used to care about what they were watching and not what they were missing.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

In the 80’s and 90’s most people had 4 tv channels so yes a NFL game that took place on Monday Night was a huge deal 

Don’t forget the scrambled HBO signal we could stare at and sometimes see a booby

Get Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts on there. They genuinely add to the game watching experience. Fouts is knowledgeable and not a company man so he criticizes the refs when he doesn’t like something. 

I like Booger McFarland so far but the other two don’t add anything.