2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

nyjunc

I haven't been on here since the awful second half at Michigan.  The Heels played well through most of the 1st half but Michigan took control w/ a late flurry and dominated the 2nd half.  It's frustrating but typical Carolina November basketball.  2 years ago they got crushed at Indiana and went on to win it all. I love the potential of this team but watching them play right now is frustrating, I'm still very confident they will get it but right now they just don't defend at all.

The Heels host old friend C.B. McGrath on Weds before #1 Gonzaga on Saturday night.  They only play 3 more games the rest of this month, a very odd Nov heavy schedule.  This is a big week.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The Heels host old friend C.B. McGrath on Weds before #1 Gonzaga on Saturday night.  

We've been playing better ball of late, but I obviously don't expect this one to be a close contest by any stretch.  A bus is sending some students up there for the game so hopefully they'll be loud and supportive. 

C Devontae Cacok and freshman PG Kai Toews are the 2 to watch for for the Seahawks.

• Upvote 1

UNCW hung tough for a half but a 30-3 run ended hope pretty quickly in the second half.  

Tennessee best Gonzaga, I was hoping Gonzaga would go to Chapel Hill ranked #1 so the heels could extend their record of beating #1 teams but that won't happen now.  Still looking forward to a great matchup with them Saturday

'Nova put up a good fight but lost again.  A few weeks back I thought they shouldn't have moved all the way out of the rankings but after another 2 loss week this week they will likely be back among the unranked.

Carolina played their best game w/ still a ton of room for improvement in blowing out Gonzaga.  Every time Gonzaga made a run Carolina countered.  at the end of the1st half Gonzaga cut the deficit from 17 down to 8 then a quick 6-0 run extended it back to 14.  The lead kept yo-yoing from about 8-16/17 through most of the 2nd half as the Heels cruised to the win.  One more bug non conf matchup left and that's this Saturday vs. Kentucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Carolina was awful against Kentucky.  I think Kentucky will eventually be good but the heels should have won easily.  They gave away that game, the worst I have seen from them in a long time.  I still think they will be very good eventually but it's frustrating with how inconsistent they have been. One more nonconference game left before ACC play begins

• 2 weeks later...

Carolina crushed Pitt on the road on Saturday, the test gets tougher tonight as they head to Raleigh to face NC State.  State has looked really ghood so far but Roy has owned them since becoming the Heels coach in 2003-04.  Should be a good game.

w/ Clemson winning the National Championship hopefully that means good things for Carolina in a few months. 

Clemson won Nat'l Championship in Jan 1982, Heels won National Championship in basketball in 1982

Clemson won Nat'l Championship in Jan 2017, Heels won National Championship in basketball in 2017

Clemson won Nat'l Championship in jan 2019,...?

Also, Bama won Jan of 16 then Nova won, Clemson 17 then  UNC won, Bama 18 then Nova, Clemson 19...

Let's hope these trends continue.  Carolina hasn't looked like a Nat'l title team the last month(outside of the Gonzaga game) but they didn't look like one 2 years ago at this time either.

Things are getting better, they struggled vs. ND last week but won then won at Miami at a place they have struggled in recent years even when really good and last night after a slow start they whipped #10 Va Tech.  Nassir Little is starting to look like the guy they project as a top 5 pick and Coby White is starting to look like a one and done player.  The Heels are currently all alone atop the ACC but they will change as there are 4 other teams also w/ 1 loss but they are off to a great start in ACC play and have a weaker ACC sched this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted much but the Heels have been playing great basketball since that Louisville game and yesterday got revenge at Louisville by stomping them.  Louisville had also been playing great so this was a huge win after some take big wins since that last loss.  Things are starting to come together for this team.

Another dominant win for Carolina, this time over NC State.  I don't think any team is playing better than the heels right now.  A few are playing as well but none better.  They have Miami on Saturday before a huge game Monday night vs Virginia who will hopefully be coming off a win vs Duke Saturday night.

The Heels survived what would have been a brutal loss.  They got some help from the officiating as the whistles favored them this game but better than going the other way ?. Coby White was great again and looks like he's playing himself into a one and done.

Huge game tomorrow with the Heels hosting UVa.  Virginia lost at Duke last night so a win here could almost bury Virginia in the ACC race.

Tough loss last night.  With 2 rotation players already out they lost two more in this game- Nassir Little early in the game then Can Johnson later on.  Cam eventually came back but UVa made plays late and pulled it out.

This game really came down to about 2/10 of a second.  At the end of the first half Coby White was about to go in for a dunk after a steal but just before he picked up the ball they ruled a shot clock violation against UVa then late in the game with the score tied white didn't realize the shot clock didn't reset and threw up a prayer from deep that went in but they ruled it was just after the shot clock.

One more thing:

UNC attempted just 7 FTs after taking 65 shots from the field, UVa attempted 18 FTs on 45 shot attempts.

Saturday vs Duke UVa attempted 7 FTs on 60 shots from the field while Duke attempted 23 on 45 shots from the field.

Amazing how that works out.

It's not as satisfying as it would have been had Zion played but I'll take it.  Duke still has a ton of talent and they cut the lead to 5 late in the first before the Heels closed the first up 10 and dominated the second half.  

There's a 3 way tie at the top of the ACC now it's on to face red hot FSU.

The Heels are back in the top 5 after another dominating performance this weekend when they crushed red hot Florida State.  What is most encouraging in these last two big wins is that Carolina has shot poorly from 3 in both games yet dominated both games.  Previously it was thought they had to shoot lights out to compete with top teams but they are proving they can win many different ways which bodes well for March (and hopefully April).

4 regular season games left, take care of business and they could grab a 1 seed in the tourney.

The Heels best Syracuse again extending their win streak over them to 8 games and improving to 8-1 since Syracuse entered the ACC.  It wasn't a pretty game, SU played really well but Carolina stayed in the game in the first half at the line (yes they got some home cooking in the first half) but played much better in the second half yet couldn't put SU away until late.  Coby White had his third 30 point game becoming the first freshman in Carolina history do so.  

On top of that Duke lost again, just need UVa to lose one and then Carolina will just have to win out to win the ACC.

The Heels finish 9-0 on the road in the ACC, one regular season game left with a chance at the ACC title on the line.  If UVa loses Saturday they can win it outright, if UVa wins they share it with them.

I can't believe it's almost tourney time already.  Just keep winning and get that 1 seed.

The Heels keep rolling w/ another win over duke.  duke played really well for a half as I expected they would but the Heels pulled away though after getting a 75-60 lead they went into fore bad 3's mode which helped duke kind of stay in the game as they got it down to 75-70 but they cemented the game at the line in the final minutes to clinch a share of the ACC crown and gives them 3 ACC titles in the last 4 seasons. 

There was an amazing stat about this game the other night, this was the 9th time since Roy became the Heels coach that he faced duke in the finale w/ a chance to win the ACC outright or at least tie for the title and he is now 9-0 in such games.  Incredible.

As of right now the Heels would be a 1 seed but still some work to do in the ACC Tourney.  Assuming they win at last 1 game they will have a great chance depending upon what others do but that 2nd game could be against duke again and that could almost be like a play in game for one of the 1 seeds so a big week ahead.  Supposedly Zion will be back, that will definitely give duke an emotional edge but after sitting out basically 3 weeks can he handle the potential of 3 games in 3 days?  we'll see.

It's the best time of the year in sports, for some reason this thread is lonely.  I wonder if it has to do w/ all the great fans of other programs that are struggling this year?  the ones that only come out when their teams are doing well? It's a shame we can't have a fun, interactive thread rather than one person just rambling on.

UNCW's season came to an end yesterday.  After a last-place finish in the regular season, we lost in the CAA Quarterfinals to Northeastern following a round 1 win over Elon. 

PG Kai Toews finished the season with the 6th-most assists by a freshman in NCAA D-I history, and the most by a non-P5 school player.  On the list ahead of Toews are Lonzo Ball and Trae Young. 

Devontae Cacok (whose picture of him dunking is my avatar) saw his fantastic career come to an end, He was 2nd in the nation in rebounding (12.3) and led the nation in Double-Doubles (24).  As a sophomore, he set the NCAA D-I record for Field Goal %, and as a junior, he led the nation in rebounding. 

C.B. McGrath has a $900,000 buyout so his job is safe.  But he'll find himself on the hot seat soon if next season is a failure.  He's proven to be an excellent recruiter but a pretty lousy in-game coach thru 2 seasons.  He has a 21-44 (.323) record, 12-24 (.333) in CAA games.

Sounds like C.B. has one more year to prove himself, hopefully he finally gets it going.

Big news out west with Gonzaga losing in their conference final.  I think they are the best team in the country and are the title favorites but with their resume I'm not sure they get a 1 seed now depending upon what happens in the ACC, SEC and big 10 this week.

what a great game Friday Night btw Carolina and duke.  I knew it was going to be rally difficult to beta them a third time but they had a great chance to.  Zion was unstoppable although Garrison Brooks did a great job defending him.  Getting brooks in foul trouble then him fouling out I think was the key for duke.  One sequence really won this game though, Luke Maye drove by Zion scored and was fouled to put Carolina up 4 but he missed the FT.  Then the next possession Zion got an and one fouling Brooks out and converting his FT so it was a 1 pt game and a few minutes later the game would end w/ a 1 pt win for duke.

On to the Tourney, duke appears to have a very easy region and Carolina appears to have a very difficult one but 2 years ago I felt the same way and last year I loved Carolina's region so hopefully it's more like 2017 than 2018.  I was hoping for Kansas and Villanova in the Heels region, Kansas is their 4 seed. The only real issue I have is if Carolina and Kansas meet in the Sweet 16 that it will be a home game for Kansas which is unfair and ridiculous.  The same thing happened in 2012 when Carolina was the 1 and Kansas the 2 with the regional in St. Louis but as long as they don't have a devastating injury like they did in 2012 which gave Kansas that region I think Carolina will beat Kansas anywhere- even if they played at phog Allen. 

If form holds we could be seeing another Carolina- Kentucky Regional Final.  Since Roy Williams went back to Carolina for the 03-04 season Carolina has now earned a 1 seed 8 times, in the 7 previous they have made the Final 4 5 times w/ the 2 losses being an OT loss in the 2007 regional final then the injury plagued regional final loss to Kansas in 2012.

Crazy ending to New Mexico State-Auburn game.  Down 2 the NM State player had a wide open layup to tie but passed it out for three where Auburn fouled.  The NM State player made 1 of 3 but the ball went out of bounds off Auburn on last miss with 1 second left, NM State had wide open three for the win but missed it and Auburn survives.

FSU in a close one but up 8 with 4 1/2 to play

College basketball is just exponentially better than the garage that is the NBA.

Games that actually have 3 point and inside play.

Consistently  good try hard defense.

Decent reffing, guys that travel and charge actually  get called.

The NBA just sucks, zero defense, the refs let players get away with everything offensively, the stars are almost petulant assholes.

What a breath of fresh air college ball is.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have Kentucky losing in the finals in my bracket, but I am finding myself rooting for Wofford this afternoon anyway.  Note for next year, pick against any teams and coaches I don't like.

friggin mcgee killed his team...  0-12 from 3...     yeeesh. ghost of starks

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Duke was monumentally lucky to be advancing.

I guess you can say that when Zion commits an uncalled for offensive foul that leads to the basket that eventually led to the game winner.  the game winner came after a duke player hooked and held a UCF player on the rebound while the duke player that got the rebound and putback for the win shoved another UCF player in the back to get the ball.  That's very lucky.  w/ all that said if they just execute a 2 on 1 up 4 w/ under 2 minutes left they are winning that game, instead they miss a dunk then duke hits a 3 so instead of a 6 point lead it was down to 1- a HUGE swing and ultimately was the difference in the game.  Champions find ways to win those types of games, I just hope this doesn't spur them on to win 4 more.  I don't think Va Tech will beat them but MSU can and hopefully will.

on to the good news, Carolina advanced to the Sweet 16 for the 4th time in the last 5 years by dismantling Washington.  Teams just cannot zone this Carolina team.  The task gets tougher Friday as they face a red hot Auburn team, should be a good game w/ hopefully the good guys winning.

5 ACC teams are in the Sweet 16, 4 SEC, 3 Big 10.  12 of the 16 teams left are from 3 conferences.